Exclusive Report: The Occupy Movement’s Hat Trick Of Foreclosure and Lies

By Jason Thomas

The Occupy movement has pulled off a hat trick with their ongoing war against the foreclosure of homes. Unfortunately, the hat trick is against them.

Occupy in Atlanta would have you believe that they are champions against injustice, especially in the realm of housing foreclosures. They use phrases such as, “Illegal foreclosure” and “housing is a human right,” and they use them often. The Atlanta iteration of the Occupy movement was the first to successfully keep a family in their home despite facing certain eviction, and Occupy Atlanta will remind you of this whenever they can.

There’s just one problem. Every eviction they have ever complained about was completely legal and totally justified from the prosecution’s side of the fence and simply smoke and mirrors from Occupy’s standpoint.

For instance, they’ve spent inordinate amounts of resources to save the Pittman family’s home. I’ve been there personally. They seem like a nice enough bunch of people, and if you listen to Occupy’s story about this, their grandmother was suckered into a subprime loan. Worst still, Chase bank knew she lived on a fixed income and could not possibly pay back her loan unless she lived a record amount of time.

Unfortunately for Occupy, there is a lot more to the story than this. Grandmother Pittman, who has since passed away and is missed by many in her community, didn’t take your average home loan. She took more than three hundred thousand dollars. Nobody is sure why, but it’s ridiculous to think that Chase shouldn’t care about losing everything they put into this loan. There are many capable people of employment age in the home. None have a job; none have tried to get a job. They’re not even trying to pay for their house.

Within the last week, Occupy Atlanta has released their latest crusade on foreclosures and evictions. A lady named Tacco was recently evicted from her home. She’s a mother, and there are children without a home now. Many would be rightfully upset if they listened to that story, and that’s all Occupy Atlanta will tell you.

What they won’t tell you is that Tacco is a single mother of eleven children. You read that right. She has e-l-e-v-e-n children, mostly from different fathers, and that Children’s Services wants to take her children but ran into problems doing so because they couldn’t find Tacco at all. They found the kids, who were all at home alone without any supervision. They just couldn’t find Tacco when they wanted to discuss it. Those kids were living without electricity because Tacco found it more prudent to find the father of her next child than to pay for her housing and her basic utilities. Once again, Occupy Atlanta feeds you a load and expects you to like it.

Perhaps the greatest gotcha moment with the Occupy movement in Atlanta will come when you look into the Occupiers personally instead of the movement as a whole. For instance, the most prominent member of Occupy Atlanta is Tim Franzen. He always seems to be present when the news cameras are rolling, and he’s usually the guy that stands up and speaks for the group.

He’s also a convicted burglar and drug abuser. It’s hard to find, considering that he changed his name when he got out of prison and will hostilely obscure the truth if asked about it. I spent many months interacting with him on a daily basis and can assure you that he cultivates the squeaky clean image he projects and protects it at any measure, even in decidedly unOccupy ways. They are, after all, a nonviolent movement.

Atlanta’s organization doesn’t have just one madman at the wheel, though. To give a brief recap, the organization also contains a man who assaulted a mentally handicapped man (himself a fellow member of Occupy Atlanta) for simply disagreeing with him, several people who have embezzled money from multiple sources, a violently angry feminist who dislikes how men treat women but who treats her latest girltoys in the same fashion that she hates men for doing, dozens of hard drug addicts, several registered sex offenders who assaulted horribly young children in their day and, oddly enough, an aspiring politician from New Orleans. I’m not sure that the last guy should be looked at with disdain, considering the plethora of better targets of your ire within that list. Actually, he’s the nicest and cleanest whistle in the lot. And he is willingly hoping to be a politician!

This is but one city’s Occupy movement. It is surely within the realm of possibility that this is simply one city’s Occupy Movement going out of control and the rest are great things. I’ve been to a grand total of twelve Occupy encampments across the nation. I assure you, they’re all as bad or worse.

The question must be asked; if this is the true Occupy – lies perpetuated by criminals – then why did any of us ever believe in them, and why were we ever moved to outrage by the actions of those who want it stopped? If the surface of Occupy is this easily scratched, what lies beneath?

That rabbit hole goes deep, my friends. I’ve been down in the depths of the hole for extended periods of time, and even I can’t tell you how full of crap it is.

43 Responses to "Exclusive Report: The Occupy Movement’s Hat Trick Of Foreclosure and Lies"

1. nickolaskral   July 8, 2012 at 6:42 pm

What happened to the radio show?

2. nickolaskral   July 3, 2012 at 10:47 pm

Jason, If you have knowledge of crimes that have been committed, aren’t you obligated to notify the police?

• Deified Myth   July 3, 2012 at 11:42 pm

It would be appropriate here for other readers to smack their faces into their palms.

3. nickolaskral   July 3, 2012 at 10:40 pm

Jason, If you have knowledge of crimes committed, aren’t you obligated to share this “info” with the police?

4. Nick   July 3, 2012 at 10:27 pm

Jason, if you have knowledge of crimes that have been committed, aren’t you obligated to go the the police with this “info”?

5. Elvis   July 3, 2012 at 4:44 am

Just scroll to the bottom.

Guardian = Publication that distributes reader comments from old Creative Loafing articles and calls it “journalisim”.

• Deified Myth   July 3, 2012 at 2:01 pm

Elvis… I wrote that. Pale is me. The information there isn’t THIS article though, so again Occupy lies, and the hat trick is continued. Oh, and the phone number you provided? Google Voice, and hasn’t been used in several months.

However, interesting thought based on your post… so, Tim Franzen knew for months and months that I was with the FBI when I was there? And yet… he didn’t tell you? So Occupy is now lying to Occupy. Interesting thought, there.

If you lie to each other, how can anyone else believe you?

6. Elvis   July 3, 2012 at 4:41 am

Feel free to call “pale” at 740-538-0283 and let him know how awesome he is!

7. Elvis   July 3, 2012 at 4:24 am

This post appeared as a comment on a creative loafing article from Mar 26th entitled “Occupy Atlanta claims victory; AT&T says bull#!@&”

It is the last comment in the thread from 3 months ago. I have the image so even when the author deletes it, I can still post it ad nauseum.

Elvis has left the building

• Deified Myth   July 3, 2012 at 2:05 pm

Why would I delete it? Wouldn’t it be more useful to remain?

The Occupy mindset is a strange thing. Delete the comment… why? It substantiates some of my statements. You guys have been aware that I was with the FBI for months… just like I said earlier, which caused a sounding board of denials of it. Now you’ve posted the smoking gun for me.

Thanks. I won’t be deleting it. It serves to make this story even MORE verified.

8. James   July 3, 2012 at 2:33 am

James, I find your article (and comments on the event helping Tacco) to be misogynist, racist and a form of victim blaming. It’s hard to trust the opinion of someone who is admittedly an informant. I will say though, I saw your comment saying Tripp is a statutory rapist. While I don’t agree with the source that bit of information is coming from, I think it’s pretty important to know about sexual predators and I agree with you that that’s a huge problem that should be dealt with. I’m not cool with statutory rapists and I think most occupiers would have a huge problem had they known.

• scamis   July 3, 2012 at 5:02 pm

Where did Jason say that? That is indeed a serious matter, but like so many things, it’s a little too….vague. Explain.

• James   July 3, 2012 at 10:47 pm

He said it on the facebook event (the one that happened this Monday) made by the Occupy Our Homes ATL page. He said in response to Tripp’s comments on there that he’s a statutory rapist and dating a minor named Megan. He didn’t deny it, it seemed like it was common knowledge and one of his friends spoke in his defense saying 16 is the age of consent. I don’t think grown men dating minors should be supported by people in Occupy Atlanta. I also don’t think most of us agree with that kind of behavior. It needs to be called out and corrected.

• James   July 3, 2012 at 10:52 pm

Here’s what I’m saying, I don’t agree with this guy who wrote the article at all, but I’m also really disappointed at the lack of action being done when a guy is dating minors and he’s in his late twenties. That is completely unacceptable. It also looks bad on the movement.

• Deified Myth   July 3, 2012 at 11:34 pm

Appears that even more substantiation of this story is coming to light. Truly a shame about my journalistic capability when what is left out of a story casting grey skies on Occupy causes Occupy to come and make it pitch black.

Maybe it’s time to concede that the story isn’t made up, it’s too kind and that there’s a whole lot more to the underbelly than what was written. The story was actually the nice guy version of things.

The Guardian, in a previous comment, mentioned a radio show. If it can be worked out and if there’s public interest I could go further with the details, but as it is right now there’s little reason to. Occupy looks like the spawn of satan by their own words right now. That whole hat trick of lies turned out to be a great story title.

• Deified Myth   July 3, 2012 at 11:37 pm

James, I should point out that scamis is Sara Amis, the one that made that comment. She’s perfectly aware of what was said and where.

More Occupy lies… this story is beyond reproach, really.

9. Darlene   July 2, 2012 at 8:41 pm

This is a truly cliched example of mudslinging and distortion of the facts. For one thing, you missed the part about Tacco actually paying rent. She started withholding rent only when the electricity stopped working, which is well within the right of any renter.

So Shayna has a disturbing personality? Really? She’s one of my best buds in Occupy.

And who am I? I too, am Occupy Atlanta. Not someone who would fit into your pre-conceived notions of who an Occupier is. I’m just your average 58 year old progressive grandmother who wants a better future for her grandchildren. Pretty boring, huh?

By the way, just because you can type words does not make you a journalist. Have you ever seen the movie “Good Night, and Good Luck?” It’s about Edward R. Murrow. Now, HE was a journalist.

10. Sara Amis   July 2, 2012 at 8:21 pm

Comments I have made are disappearing. What are you scared of?

• Jason Thomas   July 2, 2012 at 8:48 pm

This too is standard Occupy. Check their facebook page for more examples of this. It’s usually that others make the comment as Occupy censors their facebook page like you would not believe, then blames the person with the missing posts saying they deleted it to make them look bad.

However, Sarah… none of your posts have disappeared, so this standard Occupy tactic does not work.

The world is watching, I believe is the term, and now that it’s not on a biased medium you guys are really, really coming undone. Thanks for giving this story tons of validity via your smoke and mirrors. They don’t work when it’s not in your control.

Given the extremely bizarre outlash by Occupy Atlanta about this story, I’m pretty sure another story will be written. After all, Occupiers, these aren’t the only secrets to be told, are they?

• Shayna   July 2, 2012 at 9:10 pm

You have a handful of people questioning a lot of very serious allegations, many of which can result in a lot of jail time, that are offered up with no evidence.

You call that a backlash? You can’t make allegations like this, refuse to elaborate or back them up and not expect people to ask what the hell you are talking about.

The same thing would happen if someone wrote this about a right wing group.

• Sara Amis   July 2, 2012 at 9:11 pm

At least five comments have disappeared. But keep talking.

• Siri   July 3, 2012 at 1:24 am

I never saw mine. I’ll do a repost I guess. *sigh*

11. Sara Amis   July 2, 2012 at 7:25 pm

Tim has never denied his record. In fact, just doing a Google search brings it up: http://www.wsbradio.com/news/news/occupy-leader-has-been-arrested/nFNMf/

The rest of the article is similarly counterfactual. From making it sound nefarious that Eloise Pittman was given a $300,000 loan…on HER part, when in fact that is part of what makes the loan predatory. Banks are not supposed to give out loans to people which they know the person cannot repay, NOR are they supposed to give out a loan for triple what the house is actually worth. That house currently is worth significantly less than the $100,000 it was worth when the loan was taken out…but it was NEVER worth what the bank gave Mrs. Pittman for it.

As Shayna said, those are some serious accusations you’ve made. Substantiate them, please. Name names, give evidence. Put up or shut up.

You won’t, because you are both a liar and a coward.

• Jason Thomas   July 2, 2012 at 7:36 pm

Liar by substantiating specifics, and a coward for… writing it as a story for a major newspaper and telling the world?

Hey, seems that Occupy hat trick is continuing.

• Pat Gunn   July 2, 2012 at 7:56 pm

Presumably those major newspapers rejected it, which is why it’s showing up here?

• Benjamin Gaul   July 4, 2012 at 8:27 pm

And yet, Sara, that is EXACTLY what Fanny Mae and Freddy Mac insisted banks do, under the false flag of “giving the poor and minorities access to the American Dream.” With the full force and commitment of leading Democrats like Barney Frank and Chris Dodd.

Greater and greater percentages of the loans bundled for guarantee were required to be “sub-prime” like the $300,000.00 loan you feel no bank should make.

12. Shayna   July 2, 2012 at 5:55 pm

For starters, how about you back this up with actual facts?

“several people who have embezzled money from multiple sources”

Given the seriousness and potential criminal charges for doing such a thing, I am waiting for you to substantiate that. Or is it just one of many baseless rumors that you treat as absolute truth?

• Jason Thomas   July 2, 2012 at 6:22 pm

Hello Shayna, how’s the weather in Atlanta right now?

For those who wonder what I mean, Shayna is one of the Occupiers in Atlanta that are mentioned in the story. She’s one of those dastardly people I mentioned in the long list of disturbing individuals with less than stellar personalities.

• Shayna   July 2, 2012 at 6:33 pm

Really? Which disturbing individual am I? I do hate to be out of the loop.

13. James Thompson   July 2, 2012 at 4:07 pm

I am a member of Occupy Detroit. I can tell you with complete confidence that this, if true, is NOT the ‘true occupy’.

I’ll not get into a point-by-point discussion of this biased article full of inflamitory statements and inuendo. It appears you have a theory, and cherry picked facts to support it.

I will tell you we too are doing a lot of mortgage work, each one a clear case of wrongful foreclosure.
    One woman, a piller of integrity in her church and community, had the money in hand to pay off her mortgage. The lender wanted proceed. We won the case, and she is still in her home. I can give you several similar examples.

We are righting the wrongs of an abusive financial industry that is out of control. (How many Wall Street executives have been been convicted so far for creating a global financial meltdown ?)

Each case we take on is carefully vetted. We team with reputable civic organizations, attorneys, local politicians, and unions in our activities.
    We enjoy good relations with local police.

We have no drug addicts, sex offenders, criminals, or crazies in our group. We would evict anyone with those qualities …. if we ever saw one.

There are a lot of other Occupy groups like us.

I suggest you travel some more, to find the ‘real Occupy’. The time will be better spent than watching Fox News and re-reading Ayn Rand.

• Jason Thomas   July 2, 2012 at 6:20 pm

Mr. Thompson,

I’d like to remind you that I spent months in a row personally at Occupy Atlanta and many other Occupies. During the founding of the movement, I was present in New York at Liberty Square. I’m sorry if you do not count my experiences at a dozen Occupy sites as the real Occupy, because I was there when it was founded at the place it was founded. If that’s not the real Occupy, I am unsure what would qualify.

However, I commend you on proper use of foreclosure stopping action. If your actions in Detroit are what you say they are, then I’ll gladly state that your Occupation does not fall into the scope of the article about Atlanta. If your actions in Detroit are not what you say, though… they still don’t fall into the scope of what happens in Atlanta. They’re different cities, you see.

No matter which way you answer, though, the verifiable facts presented in this story which conclude that Occupy has been pulling smoke and mirrors for quite some time make it difficult to believe you if you say that everything you do is on the up-and-up. One bad apple can spoil the whole bunch, and you can be held against the court of public opinion for actions that have nothing to do with you. It’s terrible that the name of Occupy has become such an ugly thing, especially if you truly are not to blame for what the vocal majority has done.

In the end, there’s no credibility left for Occupy in Atlanta and perhaps everywhere else now that it’s coming to light that their successes are frauds, and their major players criminals.

14. Jason Thomas   July 2, 2012 at 1:47 pm

You’re welcome to fact check anything I’ve said, Pat. If you’re an Occupy supporter, though, I caution you in that it may burst your bubble. You see, this isn’t the entirety of Occupy in Atlanta’s shenanigans and there’s worse out there from them. The rabbit hole doesn’t just contain what was written about here.

15. Pat Gunn   July 2, 2012 at 8:23 am

I wonder how many of the author’s claims here would hold up under a good fact-checking.

• guardian   July 2, 2012 at 8:26 am

Jason is one of our most authentic reporters, retired FBI. Send him a comment and he will respond. He just got back from Atlanta today and we posted his first article.

• Sara Amis   July 2, 2012 at 7:31 pm

I would double check that “retired FBI” story if I were you. Either that or the state of that agency is far worse than I imagined.

• guardian   July 2, 2012 at 7:50 pm

He is retired so that has nothing to do with state of the agency. Did you read the article?

• Sara Amis   July 2, 2012 at 7:54 pm

Yes, I read it. If the FBI ever hired him, their judgment is seriously in question. As is yours. DID you double-check his claim?

• Shayna   July 2, 2012 at 7:55 pm

I think the point is his claim to have worked for the FBI, as either an agent or informant, is pretty questionable.

• Jason Thomas   July 2, 2012 at 8:20 pm

This is a pretty typical Occupy tactic, just so you know. When caught red handed with facts to substantiate it, they’ll obfuscate the topic at hand with slander and as much nonsense bickering as they can.

For the record, I have direct ties to the FBI. The details of those ties would put certain employees of the US Department of Justice in jeopardy so they will not be forthcoming. The details of the ties are not known to Occupy; just a generality of affiliation. There is no method to substantiate due to the danger it would put active operatives and operations in.

However, NONE of that does anything to refute these truths about Occupy Atlanta. Mr. Franzen has not been forthcoming about his criminal past as is claimed, none of the foreclosures which have cost taxpayers, law enforcement, and even Occupy are justifiable, and there is a mountain of deceit being generated by Occupy Atlanta and possibly the rest of the Occupy Movement.

• Sara Amis   July 2, 2012 at 8:26 pm

Confirming previous employment to a current employer should not be beyond what the FBI is willing to do; otherwise any fool could go around claiming he was a retired FBI agent in order to get a job as a reporter. If it was really a non-disclosure situation, the individual in question would be enjoined not to reveal any connection with the agency at all. It would certainly not be posted up on the Internet.

Answer the question. Did you double-check his claim of having worked for the FBI, or not?

• Jason Thomas   July 2, 2012 at 8:37 pm

Sarah, claiming to be an employee or former employee of the FBI is a federal crime. I’d be in prison right now.

See what I mean? Diffuse the severity of the situation by spewing as much slander and crap. This is standard Occupy.

However, I’m a nice guy so I’ll be more than happy to substantiate it to the proper people. I’m not in prison, so for the general public that is good enough.

My employer, though, should he require proof, will get it in spades.

• Sara Amis   July 2, 2012 at 8:54 pm

Did you or did you not work for the FBI? It’s a simple question, which you don’t seem to want to answer. You must be worried about…something. It’s also a perfectly legitimate question, since your purported former employer is being used here as a means to portray you as honest and reliable.

Then there’s my other question, the one that keeps disappearing: Why haven’t you given specifics about the accusations of various crimes you made in this article? Including names? Where is the documentation? Either the people really did what you say they did, in which case you are in the clear, or you are making it all up. Which is it?

• guardian   July 2, 2012 at 8:29 am

Also we will be interviewing him on my radio show next week on AM720 KDWN. You’re welcome to call in and speak with him yourself