Mitt Romney: Draft Dodger or Master Manipulator

By Jim Donahue

In recent days, Mitt Romney has been labeled a Draft Dodger by several media outlets. Apparently, this fact has been known for quite some time, never really getting the attention it deserved until now.

Now Mr. Romney wasn’t a draft dodger in the true sense of the word, i.e. he didn’t go to Canada during the war. He did go to France however. He received a deferment from the Vietnam War that allowed him to go to France to do Missionary work for the Mormon Church, of which he is a member in good standing.

So, in 1966, at age 23, more than a bit too old for a deferment, he crossed the pond, as they say in London his current location, and went to Paris, France for his Missionary program.

France. The country we did the most for in WW2, and our most left-handed ally, the government of which to this day has never formally apologized to us for the left-handed thank you they gave us for our help in driving Hitler and his minions out of the French countryside. And their sideways non-cooperation as our “ally” of sorts. Birds of a feather.

But it doesn’t end there. Upon his return from France, he promptly received not one, not two, but THREE additional deferments for education. Convenient timing on all FOUR deferments, to say the least.

Romney was also a pro war activist, staging a counter demonstration in 1968 at Stanford University, against antiwar civilians denouncing Stanford’s draft status tests. If he was so pro war, why not skip the draft altogether and enlist. He probably would have never been drafted because of his high number.

Incredibly, according to a recent Gallup poll, Romney enjoys wide support from military veterans. Really? According to the Gallup poll in question,” U.S. veterans, about 13% of the adult population and consisting mostly of older men, support Mitt Romney over Barack Obama for president by 58% to 34%, while non-veterans give Obama a four-percentage-point edge.” Additionally, reports Gallup, “Veterans’ strong preference for Romney in this election occurs even though Romney himself is not a military veteran — though Obama shares this non-veteran status. This will be the first election since World War II in which neither major-party candidate is a veteran.” Surprising indeed.

Hold on, it gets even better.

Former Vice President Dick Cheney helped Romney’s campaign acquire over 4 Million dollars in donations from a single meet and greet in Cheney’s home state of Wyoming.

Cheney, who previously has not campaigned for Romney, said Romney was the only person he would want in the oval office if another attack similar to 9/11 were to happen.

“Sooner or later there is going to be a big surprise,” Cheney said. “Usually a very unpleasant one. Whether it’s 9/11 or the other kinds of difficulties or crises that arrive, they always do. That’s when you find out what kind of leader your president is.”

He added: “When I think about the kind of individual I want in the Oval Office in that moment of crisis, who has to make those key decisions, some of them life and death decisions, some of them decisions as the commander-in-chief who has the responsibility of sending our young men and women into harm’s way — that man is Mitt Romney.” What?

Not too surprising. What better way to play to your base than to ask for help from the guy who helped George Bush the second secure the conservative base in 2000. In return, Bush gave Cheney the Vice-Presidency. Makes you wonder what Romney offered him. A deal with the Devil indeed.

Romney has been playing to the party base for months now, and in the last few days has been flip flopping on his lifetime ban on assault weapons he signed into law in Massachusetts when he was Governor of that state. You can’t have it both ways Mitt. Wait a minute maybe you can. All in response to the tragic events in Aurora, Colorado.

Ok, let’s recap. Turns out Romney’s a draft dodger, he ran away to France to avoid military service, got 3 more deferments after that, enjoys the support of Veterans by a wide margin, now has Dick Cheney on his side, and has the former Vice-President telling anyone who will listen that he’s the only man that can be “Commander-in-Chief.”

A Draft Dodger. A friend of the French. A corporate raider. An entrepreneur with Swiss bank accounts. Friend of a snake. A potential liar and a tax cheat. And the self-proclaimed “Best Candidate for the average guy.”

Really? What?

12 Responses to "Mitt Romney: Draft Dodger or Master Manipulator"

1. Kmshockley   October 10, 2012 at 7:16 pm

It is not draft dodging to serve a mission. It also is not draft dodging to receive a deferment for education, also where were all of these snotty little comments when it was President Clinton. Who is an actual draft dodger. I am sick of the double standard the media has for demacrats and Republicans.

2. Dennis   September 5, 2012 at 8:09 pm

Can’t believe a word of this article when it states Romney was 23 in 1966. he was born in 1947. Do the math.

3. Blake Perkins   September 3, 2012 at 12:13 am

As a veteran myself, and a Mormon, I can see both sides of tis ‘story’, whereas you, Mr. Donahue, see only one side. Belief that God, who gave us our inalienable rights, called Mr. Romney to serve Him, would be a motivation More powerful than any drill sergeant or unit brotherhood. I have low crawled, sucked in CS, and suffered in heat and cold as well, so please, spare us your indignation. Mr. Romney may not have put on the uniform, but he is asking to serve our country nonetheless, and I am willing to bet will do it without any pay other than the satisfaction of steering our Nation back towards the vision our founding fathers and brothers in arms share.

• GM   September 3, 2012 at 1:46 am

and lining the pockets of his fellow millionaires. and all that religion talk is a bunch of crap. nobody called him to give baptism’s to dead people except his father and mother.

• Blake Perkins   September 3, 2012 at 6:53 am

Religion crap? Again, it is clear you have no intention of even attempting to understand his motivations. Rather, you strike out with ad-hominems, hasty generalizations, and bigotry. I know plenty of vets who willingly support Romney for what he stands for and his principles. If you disagree, that’s fine, but please do so with at least some modicum of respect.

4. Bruce Logan   August 26, 2012 at 6:36 pm

Romney did what he felt he had to do. I guess that goes for Bill Clinton also who avoided the draft in more unethical and near unlawful ways than Mitt. hmmmm

• GM   August 26, 2012 at 7:09 pm

In essence what I was trying to say was that people of means figure out a way to avoid these types of things and the poor, urban guy with limited education and no way out ends up becoming cannon fodder for some other nations imperialistic adventure. But that’s ok, these are the people our government is looking to eliminate anyway. Enjoy!

5. Holger Awakens   August 6, 2012 at 2:45 am

I’m really sorry doesn’t meet the standards of a Stalin that you’d like in power in the U.S. Quit your whining and tell me why any U.S. veteran would vote for an avowed enemy of the military in Barack Hussein Obama.

6. bobbiewankenobi   July 30, 2012 at 8:10 am

It pains me because my father volunteered for the Marine Corp during the Vietnam War..He didnt go to France to learn about baptizing dead Jews. He elected to serve he country like his father before him and his father before him and his father before him..Long generation of our family serving our nation. That alone pisses me off..He ditched a draft..

• GM   July 30, 2012 at 10:57 am

Bobbie,
      You’ve got a lot to be proud of with a genealogy like that. You come from TRUE warrior stock. Our country needs people like you and your blood line. Don’t let the current political events in this country jade you, Someday you and your family will be rewarded for your loyality and patriotism. I would like to thank you and your family for their service to our fine country. May god bless and keep you. And remember, your reward awaits you in Heaven. Enjoy!

7. GM   July 26, 2012 at 12:53 am

Dan,
    You don’t mention if you’re a veteran or not. I served my country proudly in the U.S. army, and Uncle Sam Ain’t Released Me Yet. My father served in the Pacific theatre of operations in WW2, 19th Army air corps, GIVE ‘EM HELL. My Uncle Victor died in the D-Day Invasion of Europe, June 6th, 1944, and we lost my cousin Robert in the TET offensive during the Vietnam War. While I will give other VETERANS the benefit of the doubt insofar as their choosing Romney as their candidate, I cannot afford you the same respect. I would never even think to question one of my brothers in arms over such a personal choice. However, if you haven’t served your country, your comments fall on deaf ears. If you never had to double time for 5 miles with your gas mask on, only to be brought into a room full of CS gas and had to remove that mask and march around the room in step with your brothers, only to have a six foot snot come out of your nose afterwards, you have no right to say. If you never dropped your weapon and had to low crawl in the mud all the way back to Garrison, you have no right to say. If you never stood at attention for 2 hours or longer, and had to ask “permission to pass out drill sargent” or clean the toilet with your toothbrush, you have no right to say. If you never did push ups until you “put a dent in Texas”, you have no right to say. If you’ve never been on REFORGER, YOU AIN”T SHIT. So don’t be so quick to judge when you haven’t suffered the indignities of basic training/bootcamp, played war games or real war games for months at a time, you have no idea. What they taught us and how they made us feel about each other and our country, can never be explained to an outsider. I guess you had to be there. So when you tell me I wrote a one sided article, I have to agree. You see, Mitt Romney and his kind are nothing but a bunch of spoiled rich kids that never worked a hard day in their lives, lived the American Dream that so many of the 1% will never realize, and have no respect for the men and women that fought and died on foreign soil so that they could live that dream. They take it all for granted , and think they have a right to it, and when people in need, that will never realize the Dream ask for a little help, they bitch about paying a little more in taxes to help out someone whom never had a leg up like they did. I apologize for my language, and hope you will forgive me my demons. I AM A PATRIOTIC AMERICAN VETERAN AND WILL DEFEND MY COUNTRY TO THE DEATH, AS WELL AS YOUR RIGHT TO EXPRESS YOUR OPINION. I just think you are misinformed. Semper Fidelis. God Bless America. Enjoy!

8. Dan   July 25, 2012 at 10:19 pm

One sided. I am a strong advocate of the military, but I too would have taken a deferment to serve my two year mission if the draft were in place when I went. I would not consider that draft dodging.