Pain of Unknown Origin:”Take the Fibromyalgia Quiz!”

Did you know that many people don’t know how to diagnose fibromyalgia?

Some people with fibromyalgia don’t even know they have the illness, much less what they can do about it. Then when they go to the doctor, they are prescribed a whole slew of medications, many of which have potential side effects that are as bad as the fibromyalgia symptoms.

This is a real shame. So, the first step in the recovery process is to know for sure that you have fibromyalgia. So, take the Fibromyalgia Quiz series below… Have you been experiencing any of these symptoms? Take notes for yourself and to show to your doctor…

1) The Fibromyalgia Quiz for Pain – It is said by many sufferers, that the pain of fibromyalgia has no boundaries. People describe the pain as deep muscular aching, throbbing, shooting, and stabbing Intense burning may also be present. Quite often the pain and stiffness are worse in the morning and you may hurt more in muscle groups that are used repetitively. Have you experienced pain like this? Write it down!

2) The Fibromyalgia Quiz for Fatigue – This symptom can be mild in some fibromyalgia patients and incapacitating in others. The fatigue has been described as “brain fatigue” in which patients feel totally drained of energy. Many patients depict this situation by saying that they feel as though their arms and legs are tied to concrete blocks… and they have difficulty concentrating which many describe as brain fog. If you have chronic fatigue, and/or difficulty concentrating and remembering things, write this on your list.

3) The Fibromyalgia Quiz for Sleep Disorders – Most fibromyalgia patients have an associated sleep disorder called the “alpha-EEG anomaly”. This condition was uncovered in a sleep lab with the aid of a machine that recorded the brain waves of patients during sleep. Researchers found that the majority of fibromyalgia patients could fall asleep without much trouble, but their deep level (stage four) sleep was constantly interrupted by bursts of awake-like brain activity. Patients appeared to spend the night with one foot in sleep and the other foot out of it! Sleep lab tests may not be necessary to determine if you have disturbed sleep. If you wake up feeling as though you have just been run over by a Mack truck… what doctors refer to an “un-refreshing sleep”… it is reasonable for your physician to assume that you have a sleep disorder. Many fibromyalgia patients have been found to have other sleep disorders in addition to the alpha-EEG, such as sleep apnea and/or the newly discovered form of interrupted breathing called upper airway resistance syndrome (UARS), bruxism (teeth grinding), periodic limb movement during sleep (jerking of arms and legs), and restless legs syndrome (difficulty sitting still in the evenings.) Have you been diagnosed with a sleep disorder or experience “un-refreshing sleep,” put this in your notes.

4) The Fibromyalgia Quiz for Irritable Bowel Syndrome – IBS includes constipation, diarrhea, frequent abdominal pain, abdominal gas, and nausea. These are symptoms found in up to 70% of fibromyalgia patients. Acid reflux or gastro-esophageal reflux disease (GERD) also occurs with high frequency. Are you experiencing or being treated for any of these symptoms? If so, add them to your list.

5) The Fibromyalgia Quiz for Chronic Headaches – Do you experience recurrent migraine or tension-type headaches? These are seen in about 70% of fibromyalgia patients and can pose a major problem in dealing with everyday activities at home and work. They are made worse by stress. If this has been a problem for you, write it down!

6) The Fibromyalgia Quiz for Temporal-mandibular Joint (TMJ) Dysfunction Syndrome – This syndrome, sometimes referred to as TMJ or TMD, causes tremendous jaw-related face and head pain, experienced by about 25% of fibromyalgia patients. However, a recent report indicated that close to 75% of fibromyalgia patients has a varying-degree of jaw discomfort. Typically, the problems are related to the muscles and ligaments surrounding the jaw joint and not necessarily the joint itself. Have you been diagnosed, been treated for, or experienced jaw-related face and head pain? If so, add this to your notes.

7) The Fibromyalgia Quiz for Some of the Other Common Symptoms – If you have experienced any of the following symptoms, add them to your list…

• Premenstrual syndrome and painful periods
• Chest pain (non-cardiac)
• Morning stiffness
• Numbness and tingling sensations
• Muscle twitching
• Irritable bladder
• The feeling of swollen extremities
• Skin sensitivities
• Dry eyes and mouth
• Dizziness, vertigo, and impaired co-ordination
• Sensitivity to odors, loud noises, bright lights, foods and/or medications

If, after taking the Fibromyalgia Quiz you find that you have one of these symptoms… or several of them… then you could very well have fibromyalgia. However,… there is good news. I am a fibromyalgia survivor and I have found a way to combat the effects of fibromyalgia – naturally. If you would like to know how to access one of the most effective scientific fibromyalgia breakthroughs (that your doctor doesn’t even know about),contact me now by clicking on one of the links below.

Article by Carol Ryland

Carol Ryland is the President of a successful health and wellness business, dedicated to educating and mentoring individuals in the natural treatment of illnesses. Writer of many articles on fibromyalgia and related topics, she is a fibromyalgia survivor with a deep personal understanding of the syndrome and its devastating effects.

17 Responses to "Pain of Unknown Origin:”Take the Fibromyalgia Quiz!”"

1. Dr. Larry G. Martin   June 30, 2013 at 8:27 pm

I have had an autoimmune disorder that has manifested itself in a number of symptoms, fibromyalgia just being one of them. For those of you who are not aware, fibromyalgia is an autoimmune disorder and is related to free radical damage at the cell level. What most doctors do not understand is you can reduce your free radical levels you can likely reduce your risk factors and maybe reduce your symptoms as well.
    I have been taking an indirect antioxidant product that is a Nrf2 activator. It up regulates your autoimmune defenses and increases the antioxidants your body produces. The result is you can gain by reducing your free radical levels by 40% to 70%. I will be happy to share more information if interested. Dr. Larry G. Martin (martinfour1@comcast.net).

2. Julie   June 25, 2013 at 6:37 pm

I have had fibromyalgia for over 20 yrs. I’ve tried probably every med available & have decided it don’t seem to help to take any meds because I still have all the pain & problems. The meds just add more problems such as side effects & some meds seem to create more medical issues. Doctors seem to n quick to toss prescription s @ us & move on to the next patient. I’ve had to research my medical problems, point them out to doc that will hear me out, request test & request treatments. I believe my fibromyalgia has come from many years of abuse starting from childhood. Causing post traumatic stress disorder, anxiety, depression, sleep apnea, fatty tissues tumors all under my skin due to blunt force trauma & some tumors on pressing nerves. Tension causes much of my pain even while I sleep. I catch myself holding my breath & have sleep apnea. Almost off meds & working towards saving myself. Giving up on doctors. Best wishes to u all. Peace

3. buddacup   June 25, 2013 at 1:55 pm

I’m not quite “rejoicing” yet about this new discovery “they” have found that explains what Fibromyalgia ‘really’ is. Even so, that doens’t mean they have found an actual cure! I’ve read several things over the years that say that researchers know what it is and why it happens.Let’s just say I’ll believe it when I don’t have daily, severe pain, among many other things. Most of which are on the quiz above.

4. buddacup   June 25, 2013 at 1:43 pm

*Deborah Manning, I have been taking Lyrica and Savella for 4 years. At first Lyrica didn’t seem to help so I stopped taking it. But a few months later my dr. asked me if I would try it again for a longer period to see if it might work over time. It did! The combination of Savella and Lyrica help me to function at a normal level most of the time. You have to give yourself time to get past the side effects. Mine didn’t last, they stopped after a month or so. Your body needs time to adjust to the medicine.

5. buddacup   June 25, 2013 at 1:36 pm

To “Uncle Tom”, your comment to Aline Ovington was just rude. Let’s be kind to one another. We need the support, not the tear-downs.

6. Bonnie Carrow   June 25, 2013 at 9:43 am

I was diagnosed about fifteen years ago with Fibro. I experienced all the symptoms listed above except TMJ. Mixed with arthritis it has been a journey. Last year a friend of mine introduced me to a natural supplement called Laminine also referred to as LpN9. Within a couple weeks I was receiving so much relief from the pain it was amazing. Plus my mind seemed clearer and I had energy…even in the morning. Throughout my years I never would take prescription narcotics. I only would use Motrin or Aleve type to help with the discomfort. Now after a year of taking this LpN9 stuff I can actually say it helps tremendously. I’m actually able to work again. My 36 year old daughter has Fibro too, but this supplement seems to be the answer for her too. Drugs scare me. Too many “side effects”. It would be awesome if they find a cure for this disease so. So many suffer. So glad my friend told me about the supplement.

7. Uncle Tom   June 25, 2013 at 6:04 am

aline ovington, it’s also affected your ability to spell properly.

8. aline ovington   June 25, 2013 at 5:34 am

im dealing with fibro ”wat kill me is the muscle spasem in the back of the shoulder blade…. im takin cymbata witch give me the itch all over drives me crazy,,,,,,lyrica was a dope always want to sleep….i hate drugs that all kind of side effect…

9. winegoddess55   June 25, 2013 at 4:18 am

I too have fibromyalgia, and it is so crippling that normal functioning is extremely difficult! Being diabetic, with IBD and nasty reflux, each and every day is spent planning healthy meals and taking medications for pain, depression and anxiety. I am so glad to learn that there is actually a cause, and that it is not “all in my mind!”

10. Deborah Manning   June 24, 2013 at 8:37 pm

I have been diagnosed with Fibromyalgia and tried Lyrica first, could not take it, it did help with the pain but wanted to sleep all the time and had a lot of swelling in my legs so I stopped taking it, then tried Cymbolta and I might sleep good one night and then couldn’t sleep for the next three so stopped that one too…now doctor has me on Savella and it does help with the pain but still have swelling in legs…does anyone know long term side effects this drug causes first hand?

11. TRACIE VAUGHAN JONES   June 24, 2013 at 8:20 pm

UGH! I was diagnosed 11 years ago with moderate Fibro, at the same time I discovered I was pregnant! WOW what a horrible experience that was! I’ve been on every drug one can imagine with little to no relief. My doc finally finds a med that works (Savella combined with Gabapentin) and guess what? Yep you got it, sent my blood pressure through the roof!!! stopped taking that of course (a stroke isn’t worth being in less pain). Finally fed up with all of the anti depressants, seizure meds, pain killers, and others I have given up on ever having a manageable pain level. I deal with horrible pain, headaches, lack of sleep and severe fatigue not to mention insomnia and a horrible inability to focus at work on a daily basis. My physician was aweful about telling me I needed to lose weight or exercise and rest more, yeah right, you try exercising in pain and see how far you get! I have recently changed doctors and on my first visit to his office his PA makes me feel like I don’t know what i’m diagnosed with because I am so focused on the pain in my kidneys that I don’t flinch every time she touches my upper spine. WOW can’t wait to see what the doc says when he gets to do a full work up on me! So not excited to even start this all over again!

12. Gary Crocker   June 24, 2013 at 6:38 am

I was told I had fibromyalgia in 1991. Symptoms have progressed ever since. Actually, I had the symptoms for years before being diagnozed. I asked a dr. what fibromyalgia was, he poked me in what he knew was a “trigger point,” which took my breath away, and said, “THAT”S fibromyalgia!! He did not, however, offer any advice or treatment.

13. Tonni Atay   June 23, 2013 at 9:47 pm

I was diagnosed with neuropathy. I was put on dangerous drug, Lyrica. This is a very dangerous drug that is now being prescribed for fibromyalgia. Many of the symptoms are similar to MS as well as neuropathy. Lyrica is a lucrative prescription to write for a MD. It also will cause nerve damage. Both the FDA and Pfizer admitted this in court. I have found high doses of a new B-12, B-1, and Alpha Lipic Acid, can help with damage. Anything you have found is greatly appreciated.

14. Donna   June 23, 2013 at 5:22 pm

@Meg and @Martha Alexander, I totally agree with both of you, Martha I call my medication my cocktail. I take ten pills (9 different ones) twice a day, and twice a day 3 pills. And yes Med, it is a disease not a syndrome. I was diagnosed six years ago with mild fibromyalgia, two years later I had and still have sever fibromyalgia. I was lucky though that my spine surgeon recognized the symptoms and sent me to a rheumatologist which confirmed his thoughts.

15. giggleguts   June 23, 2013 at 5:00 pm

I so agree with these two ladies… i have been saying for a month now “I can’t take anymore”.. But it never stops.

16. meg   June 23, 2013 at 3:29 pm

I have been dealing with fibromyalgia for 28 years and have experienced almost all of this. I have read in the past that fibromyalgia is a “syndrome” not a disease because it doesn’t progress. I say b=s. Mine has gotten progressively worse especially in the last few years. Haven’t read about your “cure” yet but am suspicious that it is just another con for money like everything else I’ve tried over the years.

17. Martha Alexander   June 23, 2013 at 10:39 am

I feel like you are writing about me. Pain is my middle name, not really. Talk about drugs.
    my cupboard is full.