Rooftop fire causes little damage at Las Vegas Strip hotel Treasure Island

By Justine Espersen

LAS VEGAS – After a rooftop air conditioner fire caused 35 rooms to be evacuated from Las Vegas Strip hotel and casino Treasure Island Tues., no one was hospitalized or received any serious injuries.

The 9 a.m. fire was quickly extinguished, while damage was reported to be minor. The hotel ventilation system sent smoke into areas from the 24th to 36th floors Knoll disputed county reported. Medics checked 14 people for respiratory irritation, but no one was reportedly injured or hospitalized, authorities said. The cause to the fire was ruled an accident as fire officials said the malfunction was in a swamp cooler that cools air through the evaporation of water.

According to the AssociatedPress, damage is at an estimated total of $20,000. Las Vegas’ largest historical hotel fire was the MGM Grand blaze of Nov. 1980, killing 85 people and injuring more than 700. That was the nation’s second largest life-loss hotel fire. The primary source of the fire was an electrical ground fault of a restaurant, which is reported to have been an accident.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.