News of Sahara Davenport, born Antoine Ashley’s reported death spread like wildfire on Twitter last night with no verifiable source to support the claim. Today, we are measurably better informed, though we still await an official report.

It was our sincere hope reports were untrue, nevertheless, the overwhelming sadness that has gripped the performer’s fans, friends and family leave us with no other alternative than to report the loss of this shining star.

Though there has been no confirmation from an official source, judge Michelle Visage commented on Twitter: “It’s true and I have no words…”

The last post on Manila Luzon’s FB page is: “I love him so much.”

Davenport, was the partner of Season 3 contestant, Manila Luzon who is scheduled to appear at Q Nightclub this weekend.

Other sources confirming his death:

“Logo is profoundly saddened by the passing of Antoine Ashley who fans around the world knew and loved as Sahara Davenport. He was an amazing artist and entertainer who’ll be deeply missed by his Logo family. Our hearts and prayers go out to his family, especially his boyfriend Karl, in their time of need,” the network said in a statement posted on Facebook Tuesday.

RuPaul [email protected] intimated on his Twitter account: “Shocked & heartbroken over @SaharaDavenport. Never occurred to me that we’d ever lose one of my girls. I see them as immortal”

T.V. Guide Reports: RuPaul’s Drag Race contestant Sahara Davenport has died at the age of 27

E! Online: R.I.P. Sahara Davenport. You’ll be missed.

Huffingtonpost: Tragic reports surfaced on Tuesday claiming that former “RuPaul Drag Race” contestant Sahara Davenport has died.

The Dallas Voice: The Twitterverse is abuzz with reports that Sahara Davenport, the dancer and female impersonator who was a favorite on Season 2 of RuPaul’s Drag Race, has died.

“Us” magazine: The world has lost a drag superstar.

A number of “Drag Race” contestants also shared their grief upon learning of Davenport’s death.

Fellow contestant and Ashley’s reported boyfriend Manila Luzon wrote, “I love him so much” on Facebook and Twitter.

Jujubee Tweeted, “A beautiful angel has been added to Heaven. Rest in peace my sweet friend. We will miss you, Sahara Davenport.”

Fellow Season 2 contestant Morgan McMichaels Tweeted, “RIP to my sister Sahara Davenport, a true entertainer, who class, wisdom and laugh changed my life forever !!”

Nina Flowers wrote on Facebook, ” Love and respect to you sister, you will never be forgotten”

Latrice Royale shared her grief over his fellow queen’s passing writing, “My thoughts and Prayers are going out to the family and Loved ones of Sahara Davenport!! She was my sister in the name of Love!! You will be missed baby!!”

Last season’s “Drag Race” champ Sharon Needles wrote, “A sad day…. I am so blessed to have had dinner (two bottles of wine) with Manila Luzon last week… I love you lady… I cannot sleep….my heart goes out to all my Drag race family… mostly though, to my beautiful sister Manila”

Born Antoine Ashley, the singer and dancer appeared on the second season of the Logo reality series. Davenport started performing in drag while attending Southern Methodist University, where he earned a degree in dance.

Earlier this year, Davenport released a single, “Go Off,” which peaked at No. 35 on the Billboard Hot Dance Club Songs chart.

Series host RuPaul and fellow contestants shared their condolences Tuesday. “Shocked & heartbroken over [Sahara Davenport]. Never occurred to me that we’d ever lose one of my girls. I see them as immortal,” RuPaul tweeted.

Season 2 Drag Race contestant JuJubee wrote on Facebook, “A beautiful angel has been added to Heaven. Rest in peace my sweet friend. We will miss you, Sahara Davenport.”
Alongside 11 other contestants, Ashley competed for the title of America’s Next Drag Superstar on the hit show’s second season in 2010 – but his talents spanned far beyond the realm of reality television.

A classically trained dancer, Ashley started performing in drag while attending Southern Methodist University in Dallas. Upon earning his Bachelor of Fine Arts in dance, Ashley left Dallas for New York City where he appeared in drag regularly at various bars.

The cause of death has not been released.

Davenport was touched the lives of people around the globe and will be missed.

“Our hearts and prayers go out to his family, especially his boyfriend Karl, in their time of need.”

55 Responses to "Update: Reports Indicating Sahara Davenport Has Died Are Erroneous [Now Confirmed By Numerous Sources]"

1. Disgusted Queen   October 2, 2012 at 10:07 pm

Whoever wrote the original article should be fired for gross incompetence. It was an insult to Antoine’s memory, and fans of Davenport and Luzon were greatly offended.

2. GTFOBigGovernment (@NovElection2012)   October 2, 2012 at 11:18 am

Yeah you think it’s erroneous but you refer to him in past tense “Antoine Ashley, WAS also the partner of Season 3 contestant, Manila Luzon”

3. jem   October 2, 2012 at 2:58 pm

What a poorly written/sensationalized article. I hope the author of this article feels good about taking something so topically, when this has been confirmed by many fellor RPDR contestants, judges, and even Sahara’s drag mother.

4. Luckey Starr (@LuckeyMoney)   October 2, 2012 at 7:20 am

Regardless we need to just keep the family in our prayers! I hope it’s not true but if it is, our angel is with the lord now! Lets keep it positive!

5. Carrie Blackshaw - Washington DC   October 2, 2012 at 6:38 am

This is so sad & tragic. She was so young, only 27. I came out of a drag show when I heard the news. It has shaken me to my core. I didn’t know her, but in drag, she is a sister. RIP. My thoughts are with his family & partner Manila Luzon. WoW! Does anybody know what happened?

6. GothBoyUK   October 2, 2012 at 1:37 pm

I cannot beleive this is STILL here! Remove it, like I told you this morning.

7. Meeshu Bono   October 2, 2012 at 1:30 pm

Yes, cuz Wiki is known to be so reliable. What a disgusting article. Remove the article AND the person who wrote it.

8. Jason   October 2, 2012 at 1:10 pm

Your attempt to look clever has seriously backfired. Please remove article.

9. jay   October 2, 2012 at 1:06 pm

Rupaul has confirmed it over facebook. Remove the article.

10. pynky   October 2, 2012 at 11:44 am

Wiki actually does say she died. -_-

11. Angel   October 2, 2012 at 11:42 am

Hate to say it, but if you knew anything about drag culture you would know that they are a family. If all the queens are saying it’s so I believe them…plus Michelle Visage wouldn’t post something like that unless it’s true….RIP Sahara and much love to Manila….

12. Derrick Kardos   October 2, 2012 at 11:27 am

take this article down, its irresponsible and offensive.

13. Ruben   October 2, 2012 at 10:47 am

It’s true my best friend is his cousin. His family was there bedside during his finally breath. May he rest in peace and to all his family my deepest condolences

14. Felix   October 2, 2012 at 10:32 am

I talked to India Ferra who was on season 2 of RuPaul’s drag race with Sahara and she said that it was true Sahara has died. Really this story need to take this down disrespectful

15. Kate   October 2, 2012 at 10:23 am

the Wiki page makes no mention of her death, so I don’t know why people are seeing otherwise.

16. Fausto Fernós   October 2, 2012 at 9:39 am

Guardian, absence of evidence isn’t evidence either. The facts have been confirmed, and even her wikipedia page was updated. Big oops.

17. Dxx   October 2, 2012 at 9:25 am

When her boyfriend tweets about her death, as do many of the stars of the show, one can guess that it’s not a hoax.

18. Andrew   October 2, 2012 at 8:59 am

Wow… what great journalism. “Reports Indicating Sahara Davenport Has Died Are Erroneous.” However, “Now we could be wrong, but so far it sounds like a hoax.” So, why isn’t the title of the article, “Reports Indicating Sahara Davenport Has Died MAY BE Erroneous.” That’s a very bold claim that they are erroneous when you even say you might be wrong. Distasteful…

19. Kandi Lane   October 2, 2012 at 8:55 am

What a DISGUSTING, DESPERATE and DISRESPECTFUL attempt at getting someone to actually read the TRASH this “news source” put out there.

20. Kandi Lane   October 2, 2012 at 8:53 am

Remove this article you dipsh*t! Have some respect for a fellow human being.

21. GothBoyUK   October 2, 2012 at 8:28 am

It is fully confirmed so I suggest you remove this page or update it with the facts. Not doing so is highly irresponsible, not to mention cruel.

22. jj   October 2, 2012 at 8:24 am

Ummm… It’s definitely true. Believe me, all the girls know each other, and if it wasn’t true, one of them would have refuted the mistake. Saying there is “no evidence” is simply bad journalism, because as everybody knows, it is impossible to confirm the non-existence of something. I’m so sorry to say you’re wrong, but you are.

23. Sad   October 2, 2012 at 7:12 am

The guardian writers need to get their facts straight before they write something off especially someone’s death as erroneous. Condolences to Sahara’s family and friends 🙁

24. Magenta Collins   October 2, 2012 at 7:07 am

It doesn’t mean much, but she has been mentioning on her twitter feed since back in July or June that she’s been feeling ‘under the weather’. No idea if it was an illness or accident, but the world lost a beautiful person way, way too soon. Another member of Club 27 has gone to higher places to perform, with angels and glitter at her side.

25. Shae   October 2, 2012 at 6:54 am

read more of Michelle Visage’s tweets….she announced confirmed…after hoping it was just a rumor.

26. Ames   October 2, 2012 at 6:51 am

Did you write this up in the event that if this IS fake, you guys will be the first to have reported that you just KNEW it was all fake? Would that make you feel superior or something? Multiple friends of hers and Michelle Visage have reported it, this isn’t some RIP Facebook page hoax.

27. Jeff   October 2, 2012 at 6:46 am

There is still no official word on her death.
    Nothing but Twitter and Facebook posts, which are hardly official sources.
    And Wkipedia? ANYONE can edit any page on Wikipedia, so claiming that because a Wiki page says something is meaningless, too.
    Point is…nobody wants to help spread a rumor, but in this age of social media these death rumors happen all the time.
    There’s nothing wrong in waiting for an official word on this.

28. tuppy   October 2, 2012 at 6:41 am

You need to change this headline. “Erroneous” means wrong — all you’re saying is that the reports are “unconfirmed.” It’s just as unconfirmed that they’re erroneous!

29. DAVE   October 2, 2012 at 6:39 am

take this down, you are giving false hope which is horible

30. DARC_STARR   October 2, 2012 at 6:23 am

The Wiki does say it and all the Queens all over Facebook from JujuBee to Nina Flowers are posting condolences. I don’t believe they would post it if it wasn’t true.

31. David   October 2, 2012 at 6:15 am

It has been reported as true from here drag mother as well as many many friends and drag family members. I am sure if it was an actual “hack” Manila as well as Sahara would have already been online saying it was not true. Rest in Peace Sahara .. you will definitely be missed!

32. Jackie   October 2, 2012 at 6:14 am

Seriously? Now’s the time to stomp around bleating ‘It’s a FAAAAAAAAKE!’ Much as I wish it was, because that’d mean Sahara was still with us, Michelle Visage’s tweet and reaction are all I need to know that it is sadly true. Allow Sahara’s family, friends, drag sisters and her beautiful Manila the chance to grieve. Maybe you can go take a walk around barefoot on a field of Legos for awhile, let it really sink in.

33. Ray   October 2, 2012 at 6:14 am

i kno from friends of sahara reports are true 🙁 RIP SAHARA

34. Jules   October 2, 2012 at 6:12 am

I happen to know several people in the Drag World and THIS IS TRUE!!! How dare you print this rubbish before checking your facts!!!

35. princess   October 2, 2012 at 6:11 am

its definitely been on wikipedia…lots of people have mentioned it as well – michelle visage, kenya michaels, sonique, andy cohen, nina flowers etc…this article really should be taken down since it’s like the first google result and extremely misleading.

36. Nick   October 2, 2012 at 6:10 am

Michelle Visage and several RPDR alum have confirmed via Twitter and Facebook. I consider their word more reliable than a site that cites Wikipedia as a viable source for information.

• Proviboi   October 2, 2012 at 6:19 am

You consider Twitter and Facebook over Wikipedia for information? How ironic.

37. It's True   October 2, 2012 at 6:09 am

You need to take this down immediately so it doesn’t give more people false hope.

38. queenie   October 2, 2012 at 6:08 am

lol somebody’s a terrible reporter…
    (hint: it’s you. you should find another job.)

39. Jesse   October 2, 2012 at 6:07 am

This article is bad and you should feel bad.

40. JOhnny   October 2, 2012 at 6:04 am

Do some research.Saying its a hack.My gosh.At least 3 other contestants have confirmed it.Are you gonna say those contestants were hacked too?

41. Rudy   October 2, 2012 at 6:02 am

It is actually on her wikipedia. Moron! Rip sahara 🙁

• Jules   October 2, 2012 at 6:07 am

You tell them Rudy!!!

• Jules   October 2, 2012 at 6:10 am

Read this Guardian, you need to check your facts before writing such articles!!!

42. danamac 448   October 2, 2012 at 5:58 am

You are such a jerk to blow off something like this as a hack. Even if it is, what do you possibly hope to acheive by saying so? At best, you get to say, “Ha, I was right.” But more likely, you are twisting the knife in the hearts of those that love her.

43. ihearttrolls   October 2, 2012 at 5:58 am

Well…if it’s not in Wikipedia, then it must not be true. Lolol. Nice logic.

44. king   October 2, 2012 at 5:57 am

Its on wink. Do ur homework boo

45. john   October 2, 2012 at 5:54 am

and it’s on the wiki

46. Rikki   October 2, 2012 at 5:53 am

Actually, her Wiki does.

47. jaycee   October 2, 2012 at 5:45 am

Its true.

• jaycee   October 2, 2012 at 5:54 am

His wiki was updated, website taken down, and i happen to know from concrete, reliable, sources as well as fellow rpdr alum that its indeed true. Very very sad, but this is no twitter hoax.

• queenie   October 2, 2012 at 6:09 am

do you know how she died? what happened? 🙁

• jaycee   October 2, 2012 at 6:16 am

As far as i know she left a mutual friend of ours who stated “little did i know when you drove off itd be the last time i saw you”. I havent talked to her yet but im guessing car accident. But that hasnt been confirmed entirely yet.

• queenie   October 2, 2012 at 6:19 am

that’s terrible. 🙁 she was so young and had so much ahead of her. rest in peace angel.