Bonus Video That Tells it All: Plus, Nat Geo Wild Trailer

Self-taught dog trainer, Cesar Millan, has come a long way from working with animals on his grandfather’s Sinaloa farm. After watching years of Rin Tin Tin reruns, the 13-year-old boy declared to his mother that he would one day become the world’s greatest dog trainer. Thirty-years later, the Santa Clarita, Calfornia resident and naturalized U.S. citizen has overcame insurmountable odds, achieving success as a business entrepreneur, expert dog trainer and reality T.V. personality. Nonetheless, despite his incredible accomplishments, the 43-year-old star of “The Dog Whisperer” has recently confessed he tried to kill himself in May of 2010.

To hear Millan tell it, he began to slide into a hopeless state of mind in February of 2010 when he lost his top dog, Daddy, to cancer after 16 years of companionship. After barely having enough time to mourn his loss, his wife of 16 years told the celebrity dog trainer that she wanted a divorce. According to Millan the combined blow triggered a failed suicide attempt, putting him in the hospital after overdosing on drugs.

According to Yahoo News, Millan has been quite eager to share his storybook journey through life. On October 8, 2012 he announced, during an appearance on “Late Night with Jimmy Fallon,” that the television network, Nat Geo Wild, will air a one-hour biopic on his life. “Cesar Millan: The Real Story” is scheduled to premiere the weekend of Thanksgiving, on Sunday, November 25, at 9:00 p.m. ER/PT. Yahoo News also reported that “the biopic will feature, for the first time on television, the comprehensive, behind-the-scenes story of Millan’s incredible rise from poverty to fame. However, all of this sudden hoopla and glitzy enthusiasm to promote Millan’s so called true life story, leave my cynical mind to wonder, how much of the actor’s classic rise to fortune and fame will be left out of the biopic narrative.

For the most part, I’m a glass have full reporter. In other words, I prefer to see the positive characteristics of the human experience. But every once and a while I get the impression from some of the portraits I chose to paint, that fail to meet the hype they try so hard to convey.
Cesar Millan may perhaps fall into this classification.

Now let me first state that I recognize that none of us live perfect lives. And I really have no interest in dabbling into people’s deep dark closets just to earn my keep. Nevertheless, I’m of the opinion that if you’re going to sell me a bag of popcorn loaded with butter and leave out the salt, then I feel obliged to correct the oversight by providing the salt myself. Why? because I simply can’t eat popcorn without salt. You see, if we’re going to keep all things equal, then equality must maintain a balanced of freedom. If you decide to hold the butter, than I guess I can suffer through the meal without salt.

Suicide is truly nothing to make fun of as many of us have visited that scene before. It’s just Millan’s use of the suicide story to sell the biopic that has motivated me to shine perhaps a brighter light over his career. Who knows, much of what I will present may already be part of Millan’s autobiographic documentary. Nonetheless, that’s a scenario my cynicism chooses not to chance.

So after the biopic’s promotional campaign sucked me into anticipating the TV premiere, I stumbled upon some interesting reports that first appeared to paint an alternative picture of “The Dog Whisperer.”

The New York Post seemed to suggest Millan has a fair amount of secrets worth a good sum of money to remain secret. I thought to myself, I bet there’s no chance “Cesar Millan: The Real Story” covers any of that material.

The “Post” reported that, Illusion Millan, the TV star’s ex-wife was paid a flat sum of $400,000 plus $33,000 per month to keep quiet about their private life. Specifically, the divorce settlement instructed Illusion to keep any “Intimate, personal and/or private information about the other party…including details of their personal and/or sexual relationships” confidential. “

The New York Post added, that “any photograph, film, videotape, recording … which is not commercially available” must remain private.”

Looking further, I discovered that back in June of 2010, the online tabloid Perez Hilton speculated, “Cesar has a bit of gayface, dontcha think? Maybe he has something to hide.” Now such speculation is certainly not a pejorative remark. Nevertheless, the website gay-or-straight.com using what they claimed is a gay-o-meter, sort of a gaydar (radar) announced: “according to 712 visitors Cesar Millan is 52% gay. However, the average gay-rating on gay-or-straight.com is 69%, which means Cesar Millan is quite straight in comparison to other celebrities on this website.”

In contrast to my stated thesis, the following video suggests that I might have altogether misunderstood “The Dog Whisperer.” In fact, after viewing the video I would be remiss if I didn’t admit that Millan comes off convincingly sincere. It’s about Millan’s bullied experiences growing up.

Those of you who are still reading this article anticipating that I might uncover perhaps a salacious act or two involving the TV star, or that I may provide some firsthand news confirming what a lot of people believe about “The Dog Whisperer,” in all honesty I can only tell you that Cesar’s written record tells a story pretty much consistent with his public claims.

Sure, I came across a few people that have experienced some unpleasant moments with Millan, arguing that he treated them rudely. But who hasn’t at one time or another given others that impression.

Nope, I’m going to have to say that unless I uncover something that changes my present perception, I’m forced to admit, Millan is a role model I can respect.

In retrospect, Whether he comes off looking gay or not shouldn’t matter to anyone.

Perhaps I miss read the guy. His eagerness to market the biopic with the record of his 2010 suicide, which I still have problems with reconciling, throw me off. Therefore, I have to withdraw any impression I may have painted, which suggests Millan might not be authentic.

Ultimately, “The Dog Whisperer” survived and even overcame the desire to end his life and that happens to be good thing.

Two years following the incident, Millan was quoted to have moved beyond that low point in his life. Apparently, he’s come to grips that his pet, Daddy, can never truly be replaced.

According sources, Millan is presently planning to marry his new girlfriend, Jahira Dar, who lives with the Reality TV star along with the younger of his two sons.

In closing, I’m looking forward to seeing the Thanksgiving Holiday scheduled biopic and plan on publishing an honest review shortly before it airs.

Oh, and by the way, if you’re wondering if Millan is gay, I wouldn’t bet any money on it; besides that’s a fairly personal matter, and since he’s said to be worth $45 million, he certainly have enough money to be able to keep it to himself.

43 Responses to “Cesar Millan: The Real Story:” What the Dog Whisperer left out of the biopic [Bonus Video]

1. Norma Jean B. Martinez March 18, 2014 at 9:54 pm

Perez Hilton is a nobody to have made that remark.She is capitalizing on his fame that’s all.Total loser.

2. rohith March 11, 2014 at 6:34 pm

This is a true case of jealousy !! Other dog trainers. (trainers doing their job for profit) doesn’t like him so it’s their plot. But listen WHATEVER YOU DO YOU. CAN’T KEEP THE WHOLE. SUN IN A DARK BOX
    CEASER ROCKS;

3. Corinne Chaborek March 8, 2014 at 12:47 pm

REALLY?? Nothing better to write about? Jealous? What is the problem here? This article was horrible! Cesar has a born given talent that others cannot accept-I love Cesar for Cesar. Not for his money, not for his heritage, not for anything but he has a heart and soul for animals. Any person that cares that deeply for animals is one hell of a person and I would marry him also! The problem I have is 90% of men cannot deal with the way I treat my dogs-believe it or not they are actually jealous. That’s too insecure for me. CESAR YOU ARE #1 AND ALWAYS WILL BE-don’t ever stop being you! I ❤️ U &

4. Joanne January 15, 2014 at 11:38 am

Where is Cesar now? I have been looking for some new shows, and all I find is reruns. I love you Cesar, no matter what. Without you I couldn’t have trained my dogs. Keep up the good work. Love ya

5. Aida Roche January 4, 2014 at 8:12 pm

When you are rich, good looking and famous, people always invent negative things to say about you. If they can’t find an excuse, or a reason to criticize you they would make it up. Lie if they have to to justified themselves. But it is really all about jealousy. It’s really about people insecurities being projected on Ceasar Millan. It is not at all about the Dog Whisperer.

They are really talking about themselves. In psychology it is called an I STATEMENT.
    In others words they are really talking about themselves and projected it on Ceasar.

Leave the guy alone. He has not done anything wrong to anyone. Such cowards always sticking the knife in the back. In reference to his manhood is totally irrelevant, who cares? Who thinks of these fairy tales. GET a LIFE.
    FIND SOMETHING POSITIVE TO DO WITH YOUR OWN LIFE.

Besides where does this source of information come from. They did lived with him and his family personally? Do they have ESP. How do they know anything for a fact.

Do these unhappy people have no life of their own that they try to bring others down with them. They don’t have anything better to do with themselves. Are they that bored.

That is so, so sad. I will pray for them. May God have pity on them.
    As God said,
    Quote: THE TONGUE HAS SEVEN KNIFE. IT IS WORSE THEN PHYSICAL ABUSE.
    Have to keep your enemies closer than you friends.

To all those sick people TELL THEM TO PLEASE get a life. There are more important things to worry about, the world might end TOMORROW AND JUDGEMENT DAY WILL COME.
    PLEASE Love thy neighbor as thyself. Think of helping people not hurting them. Obviously these sad people hate themselves so much more than anyone else. That is why they try to bring others down with them. So, so, so, sad.
    I am sure that they would not like a taste of their own medicine. Who does?

God bless them and bring peace to their mind and heart. May they be healed and developed the self-esteem that they lacked so badly.

6. brower844@yahoo.com December 19, 2013 at 5:46 pm

Its all politics! they did him wrong now they want to use their muscle to smear his name. Good luck to the smears you mite have the money and the power, but there are more dog lovers than unmoral humans.

7. brower844@yahoo.com December 19, 2013 at 5:14 pm

veterinary behaviorists disagree with Cesar .Well people use to think the world was flat too.

8. Lana Lorenzen December 2, 2013 at 1:03 pm

I would agree that the man’s private life is none of anyone’s concern. However, I recently made some purchases from his web site. I accidently purchased one DVD which I already had in my collection. I wanted to send it back. I went to the site and sent an e-mail but received a note after sending it that it would be very doubtful that I’d get a reply. Okay, I said to myself, I’ll call the Burbank phone number. Each and every line (customer service, etc.) gave me the same response: “Mailbox is full.” What kind of a business allows a mailbox to pick up calls from customers and then states that it’s full!? I have a business website. If I go on that web site and complain about this poor business practice or file complaints on every Internet site in California about this incident, what does that do to his business? If this is the way he handled his private life, I can understand how it floundered. No legitimate business is run in such a slipshod manner!

9. cindy martinez November 13, 2013 at 12:38 pm

Come on give the man a break… he had a dream he made it happen, give credit where credit is due. We all have personal experiences that hurt us for a long, long time maybe even forever, but the first thing that someone throws out there is this or that person may be gay? What does that mean to anyone? Nothing to me. If Cesar is or isn’t doesn’t change the fact that he has some of the same problems we all do ,does it change anything if he “might” be gay or not? NO! He has a big heart and he shows it in his love for animals, and how he can teach us how to love and take care of the very things we love, our dogs.
    Good luck to U Cesar and all u do in the future, BTW I respect a man who doesn’t go on TV and trash his ex because he is bitter.

10. Karena October 23, 2013 at 1:51 pm

Straight, gay, womanizer, brusk, or whatever. I don’t care about any of that. He has saved hundreds of dogs that probably would have been put down. That’s what I care about. The rest of what he’s done, as long as it was between consenting adults, is nobody’s business but his. I’m sure it’s not easy to deal with stupid dog owners every day. I deal with them in my neighborhood all the time. Kudos to Cesar for all he has done, and gratitude from one of his biggest fans.

11. lambvertslabelle October 2, 2013 at 7:08 pm

well.I think every human has some bad moments…its not easy to be I on everybodys “table” every second of life .Sadly may be you were one of the few “rudely” treated between thousands others nicely treated,I m sorry to hear that.You should just forgive him!

12. Fred Lemonjello September 10, 2013 at 9:04 am

The writer of this article mentions that he has met a few people who have experienced unpleasant moments with Cesar Millan, arguing that he treated them rudely. I have never met the writer of this article, but I have met Cesar in person, and I was one of those people who had an unpleaseant moment with him. from that moment on I decided, I will watch his show, and learn from him about dog body language, but I do not care for him as a person.

• Sophia September 10, 2013 at 3:37 pm

Cesar is the only role model in Hollywood and general in America I have.
      He is honest above all. Very few people are.
      Is he a womanizer or whatever, who cares-Get a life.
      He is a wonderful human being, everybody can learn from him. Cesar you got my full support, I am from Serbia and I bet the whole world and all people who have a good heart, love you. Do not lose hope, we need you more, the world is not ready to lose you yet.

13. Kathy Tittle August 25, 2013 at 6:57 pm

Possibly Cesar is the “pack leader” of his family also. I would love to read his Biography. When did he marry? After he came to the US and made a name for himself? I don’t know anything about his wife, nor do I care. Whatever the reason that they divorced, is between them. Unless he was abusive.. Not my business. He is certainly talented. He has probably had to fight of the hanger on ers, and the people who want to take advantage. You’ve heard of the Hollywooders..

I have met and worked with several Hispanic women who have come to the US illegally and become documented.. To listen to them, some of their husbands are VERY over protective and makes me uncomfortable to hear of the “thumb’ they live under.
    The husband is not romantic.. NEVER has given flowers or gifts to the wife… she should have gotten a clue during the dating years.. work their butts off morning to late night at home, work and raising the children.

So, I will take this news with a grain of salt. I respect what Cesar does with dogs and their owners. Love his shows.. Until there is proof that he is an ugly human, I will continue to watch and wish him the best

• Te Rena September 7, 2013 at 3:57 am

What a ridiculous and smug speculation with no basis. Don’t you people have anything else better to do?

• tinkaboutit September 11, 2013 at 12:55 pm

you have “met and worked with several hispanic women” and are now an expert on hispanic marriages and men? Well, I have met and worked with quite a few “Kathys” and… know relatively little about them. You are soooo smart

14. C.C. Carnes August 24, 2013 at 11:58 am

Definitely not gay. Rumor in Hollywood is that he was a womanizer, which is probably why his wife divorced him and his kids got pissed at him. No one is perfect and very few celebrities who go from rags to riches resist the temptations.

15. Eileen ODriscoll August 23, 2013 at 12:42 pm

So the kindest and best dog trainer worldwide is villified by this vicious attack on him. Who are you? What have YOU done but attack a great dog trainer AND the gay community?Why? Even if, and apparently he’s not, gay SO WHAT? What he stands for and how he has made a real difference is not up to your pathetic remarks to diminish. I am,one of the millions of humans and their dogs, rescued and otherwise who have
    changed their household successfully. Your the man Caesar.

16. Sharon August 19, 2013 at 12:20 pm

Being gay or not, being divorced or not, what ever choices Cesar has made or had made for him in his own life, has nothing to to with the superiority in which he shows working with problem dogs and their owners. I just love him!

17. Larf June 30, 2013 at 10:54 am

To the person who attempted to write this article:

Here are a few more glaring mistakes!

In retrospect, *Whether ( no capital here – the w ought to be lower case ) he comes off looking gay or not shouldn’t matter to anyone.

Perhaps I *miss read the guy. His eagerness to market the biopic with the record of his 2010 suicide, which I still have problems with reconciling, *throw ( keep your tense consistent ; should be past tense) me off. Therefore, I have to withdraw any impression I may have painted, ( no comma here) which suggests Millan might not be authentic.

Poor writing automatically cancels out your credibility!

• John August 23, 2013 at 12:48 am

Before you pin upon yourself the badge of the red-pen police, I suggest you tighten your grasp on the English language. While I will grant you there are a few capitalization and punctuation mistakes throught this generally cohesive and organic article, they do not subtract from the author’s credibility. In fact, the author has no real credibility to be subtracted from to begin with.

Furthermore, the author and you, my fledgling nubile grammarian, are both incorrect on the use of “miss read.” What you both should have noticed while you were proofreading for mistakes is the appropriate word here is actually “misread.” Interestingly “misread” and it’s past participle “misread” can only be distinguished in tense by the context supplied from other verbs as they are both spelled exactly the same way. As you correctly pointed out “throw” is a present tense verb that agrees perfectly with a present tense “misread.” On this point you ought to suspend your critique until the author actually reads his piece aloud so you can defferentiate between the two by ear.

Finally, your critique of this aricle’s content and author’s credibility is exceedingly shallow and superficial. The article is organized well and speaks to the audience appropriately. Attempting to discredit the author’s work based on a capitalization mistake and one incorrectly identified grammatical blunder smacks of envy that you yourself are not a journalist. Perhaps your zeal for pointing out small errors in other’s work will subside when you have summonsed the testicular fortitude to craft and share your own work. Until then, take it down a notch or five.

• T Williams September 7, 2013 at 3:55 am

Boring.

18. Heidi Dashnaw June 24, 2013 at 8:12 pm

Loosing Daddy was just too much for a lot of the people that watched the show but to be able to hit rock bottom after all Cesar is all about family and too loosei all so fast , everyone has a breaking point but im glad that he is here to help all of us through the good and the bad. We will always love you Ceaser and be strong and help the people and dogs of all kinds get through life with our chins held high.

19. acbear June 20, 2013 at 4:39 pm

This is a horrible article and you seem like a horrible person. Get off the internet.

20. Marina Del Flores June 14, 2013 at 8:59 pm

I was totally surprised to hear about Cesar’s suicide attempt. I felt so badly for him. To lose your most beloved dog and then have your spouse call you and tell you they want a divorce..that kind of thing can definitely lead straight to depression. But he has so much going for him still. I LOVE CESAR and I hope life is very good for him now. He deserves all the best. He’s done so much to help animals and people!

21. mezoz May 28, 2013 at 4:46 pm

I think the way Cesar talked about his suicide attempt was appropriate. He talked about the struggle and the slow come back. It was a positive message about moving on. It is totally up to him how much he shares. The important message was on recovery, where it should be.
    His public mission is to help dogs by educating people. He has done this well.
    Everyone has pain. He has shown us that dogs and people can recover.

22. Jsubratie May 3, 2013 at 7:50 am

Hail Cesar!!

23. Abigail Wilson with a new fearful border collie less than 2 yrs. April 30, 2013 at 1:33 am

Now every time I visualize Cesar it is dead in a casket. He states about his suicide attempt so casually. My nephew killed himself so I never got the chance to know him very well but I guess it upset me more than I thought…swinging from a tree near his parents’ house, There are not just dogs but people he deals with in many locations and situations. He could get more real in telling his suicide attempt to help others rather than just to promote himself.

24. AVRIL SUSTER April 10, 2013 at 6:47 am

Hey you guys – leave Caesar alone,, he has a right to choose which journey he makes on this planet, and believe me, if he is for dogs, he must be a FANTASTIC PERSON!!!!
    From Avril in South Africa

25. Suradit April 2, 2013 at 6:42 pm

“must maintain a balanced [sic] of freedom.”
    ” I miss read [sic] the guy”
    “he certainly have [sic] enough money ”

Gee you’ve managed to cram a two paragraph non-story into an interminable screed augmented with deplorable English.

26. Meg March 28, 2013 at 2:25 pm

Hey, do you have an editor? Grammar errors in your article! You can’t even do your own job well!

27. Silvia March 16, 2013 at 8:15 am

who cares if Cesar is gay or not?????? Cesar is great!

• Scrappy Doo June 14, 2013 at 6:30 am

Cos if he was he might die of aids..and thats bad

28. Jewelie Dee March 6, 2013 at 9:08 pm

If Cesar were perfect, he wouldn’t still be a learning, growing person. And when he learns and grows, he shares it with us. Maybe he started believing his own hype about being in control of one’s life. We can exert a great deal of control until other people come into the equation, and then life kicks us down and we learn a little humility. We get real. Cesar is real, and I love that about him. It’s what makes him watchable.

29. Pat Thompson February 22, 2013 at 3:25 pm

Cesar carry on with what you are doing – you must be doing something right or you would not have the following you have – I love your show and have learnt many ways on how to control my dogs – and being the amateur I am – it does seem to work in its own way or perhaps its the international language of dogs

30. Pam February 6, 2013 at 3:53 pm

Cesar is truly a genuine person, so they will try to find ways to ruin his reputation. Unfortunately his detractors have not been successful. I thank God for Cesar Millan, God Bless you more!

31. ji January 1, 2013 at 11:15 pm

We love you so much cesar

32. Amy December 12, 2012 at 9:24 pm

Half full

33. DM December 5, 2012 at 9:32 pm

Seriously, what a stupid article. The internet would be a better place without it.

34. Cat-Man-Doo November 17, 2012 at 6:33 pm

I cannot find the author’s name on this article.
    I am not surprised they didn’t sign it….the article doesn’t say a darn thing !!

35. snow4ever November 17, 2012 at 5:33 pm

what a piece of crap you wrote.

• kenny porter November 17, 2012 at 6:14 pm

cesar hang in there buddy and live in the moment. dont worry about what happened in the past. you are a great person and have taught myself along with many others much about ouselves and about the world around us. everything in life happens for a reason and the tough times only make you stronger.

We will read your comment immediately so leave a remark!

RSS Guardian Express

• Miley Cyrus: Next Star to Rehab? April 21, 2014
    Miley Cyrus was reported to have told Dolly Parton about her drug use. Parton was concerned for Cyrus after hearing her talk so casual about the use. Is it possible Miley Cyrus will be the next star to go down the rabbit hole of addiction, ending up in rehab? After the outlandish behavior of Cyrus, […]
    Jabar Morarend
  • Innocence Lost Regained April 21, 2014
    Innocence in America in times past, seemed inevitable that the days of black and white would fade into color and reel to reel would evolve into the Blue Ray DVD. Yesteryear, movies were pretty tame in comparison to today’s films with their graphic violence and soft-core porn love scenes. Where are the days of Matt […]
    John Thomas
  • Turn on AMC: Of Cabbages and Kings (Recap/Review) April 21, 2014
    On Turn on AMC tonight, the episode is called Of Cabbages and Kings. The title is likely taken from the Lewis Carroll poem “The Walrus and the Carpenter.” It’s an apropos title, as Abe Woodhull is a cabbage farmer, and the show depicts Americans revolting against the rule of King George III of England, and […]
    Douglas Cobb
  • ‘Hearthstone’ Hits the iPad After Successful Beta April 21, 2014
    Hearthstone: Heroes of Warcraft, Blizzard’s crack at a collectible card game, has received rave reviews since its inception. The game was designed with the mobile platform in mind, and after months of open beta on the PC, Blizzard released the game on the iPad on Wednesday. In less than a week, Hearthstone has already become […]
    Jonathan Gardner
  • Ukraine Crisis Has Rapture Watchers Nervous [Video] April 21, 2014
    The Ukraine Crisis is continuing to draw various interests and concerns from across the world to a head. Notably, the recent events in Eastern Europe has made some rapture watchers nervous. With controversial figures and internet videos touting the recent events as prophecy, the crisis now has a heavy religious following. Figures such as John […]
    Brett Byers-Lane