Petraeus Not Roaming Alone; Texas Looks to Step Out on Obama and the Nation

by Bridgette Bryant

A bold Texas resident started a petition to the White House via its website last Friday in the ” We the People” section. The site allows registered individuals to post petitions making requests to the Obama Administration.

In order to be eligible for review, petitions must gather at least 25,000 signatures.  Though, today the Texas secession petition reached 27,000, some say it may not get a response.

The organization Texassecedes.org points to statements from the state’s own founding documents in order to support the legitimacy of this request.

Quotations from the state constitution, “Texas is a free and independent State … All political power is inherent in the people … they have at all times the inalienable right to alter their government in such manner as they might think proper.”

The Texas Declaration of Independence, “When a government has ceased to protect the lives, liberty and property of the people, from whom its legitimate powers are derived…[it is] the inherent and inalienable right of the people to…abolish such government, and create another in its stead…”

As well as the American Declaration of Independence, “Governments derive their just powers from the consent of the governed… Whenever government becomes destructive to life, liberty, or property [i.e., the pursuit of happiness], it is the right of the people to alter or to abolish it… It is their right, it is their duty, to throw off such government, and to provide new guards for their future security.”

According to ABC News, the petition to “Peacefully grant the State of Texas to withdraw from the United States of America and create its own NEW government,”  passed the 25,000 mark after just three days at 3:22 p.m. today and kept going.

Some cite this as an angry retort of Republicans who disagree with the results of the Presidential election, however, it is being presented as moreso a cry to be heard by people who are not only hurting but who are losing faith in our government and our system.

It is rumored that the White House may not reply because of its own loophole rules, “To avoid the appearance of improper influence, the White House may decline to address certain procurement, law enforcement, adjudicatory, or similar matters properly within the jurisdiction of federal departments or agencies, federal courts, or state and local government in its response to a petition.”

There are several other secession requests from other states including Arkansas, South Carolina, Georgia, Missouri, Tennessee, Michigan, Colorado, Oregon, New Jersey, North Dakota, Montana, Indiana, Mississippi, Kentucky, North Carolina, Alabama and New York.

6 Responses to Petraeus Not Roaming Alone; Texas Looks to Step Out on Obama and the Nation

1. Dennis November 13, 2012 at 8:44 pm

Ron, it’s fortunate for you that being a blithering idiot isn’t illegal. You are so hooked into your victim mentality that you can’t see beyond your own racist and godless mindset. I challenge you, Ron. Tell me precisely what any slave owner ever did to you. Not to someone in your ancestry, Ron, but to YOU. Since you will not be able to provide such information, get off that pathetic loser bandwagon. Stop blaming others for the results of your laziness. Stop trying to claim that somebody owes you something because you don’t have as much as someone else. Let me tell you something. I am about as low on the totem pole as anyone can be, but I don’t think anyone else owes me anything!

As for your suggestion for dividing the country, perhaps that is a good idea. Your hero, BO, has already created the divide. This would be simply putting the people of like minds together. You will be quite surprised when you learn that your “country” will be broke and have no way to buy its way out of debt. The producers will all be with us. But, hey, you’ll have free healthcare for everyone! Uhhhh, wait… the doctors will be here with us and if any do stay in your mess, they will decide they won’t work for free.

So, Ron, try to overcome your severe case of recto-cranial insertion disease and get a clue about freedom.

• Ron November 13, 2012 at 9:12 pm

I worked hard at three successful careers and am now retired. Nobody ever gave me anything I didn’t earn by hard work. I didn’t inherit a dime–in fact, my husband and I gave money to our parents. My husband is a Mayflower descendant (1620), my mother’s family came to America in 1660, and I have an MA from Yale in American history with a specialization in history of the South, so please don’t lecture me on American principles. People like you who have no cogent arguments to advance always resort to insults, invective, and ad hominem attacks. Try reading a few books instead of getting all your information from Fox News.

2. Lauren November 13, 2012 at 4:59 am

Ron, you clearly have no clue why the people are upset… (re-institute slavery??? Wow… you are clearly just ignorantly stereotyping.) Let’s do it and see where the hard-working people thrive … where they can use their money and taxes for the good of all, NOT for cell phones for the unemployed like with the new Obamaphone program! We do not want others telling us that our money should go to such RIDICULOUS programs. I give to charity, I love my gay friends, and I don’t believe in governing social issues. I believe in free enterprise and earning the money that is given to you. This is just a statement that we are fed up. You are right about that, and only that.

• Ron November 13, 2012 at 4:30 pm

You are hopelessly ill-informed. Try getting your information from some place other than Fox News.

3. Juke November 13, 2012 at 2:56 am

Ron, its not the Rebels supporting slavery this time…

4. Ron November 13, 2012 at 2:26 am

I am concerned that, since President Obama has been re-elected, the people in the Red states seem very upset. I have a modest proposal to deal with this problem:

Revive the Confederacy, and let each state decide which country to join. That way, the Red states can do what they want, in their heart of hearts, to do: ban birth control and abortion, re-criminalize homosexuality, re-institute segregation (or maybe even slavery), expel undocumented immigrants, restrict the franchise to rich white males, make Christianity the state religion, end all regulation of business, etc. The CSA can have Mississippi, Alabama, etc.

The USA will take California, New York, etc. We in the Blue states will no longer have to subsidize the Red states. We will even throw in five Supreme Court justices to sweeten the pot. We can also have an exchange of populations—we will send you our right-wingers, and you can send us your left-wingers (unfortunately, we will end up with most of the educated people, but that can’t be helped.)

Let’s just wish each other well, shake hands, and say good-bye. That way, we will all be happy.

Quantcast