Rebekah Brooks Andy Coulson and Three Others Charged with Bribery Offenses.

Only 24 hours ago, British prosecutors said they were ready to announce if they believed they had enough evidence to charge Rebekah Brooks, Andy Coulson and several others with bribing a public official.

It’s now safe to say prosecutors have confirmed that Rebekah Brooks, Andy Coulson and three other will be charged with bribery offenses. The decision comes at a time when the Crown Prosecution Service will reveal its charging decisions following Operation Elyeden. During Operation Elyeden police have detained 52 people for alleged corrupt payments made to police officers and other public officials.

Officers say that 21 of the 52 detained are journalists at the Sun newspaper.

Sue Akers, the official in charge of the investigation said that the probe was triggered by the phone-hacking scandal.

Among the public officials arrested as part of Elveden are a member of the armed forces, a prison official and police officers. Among the current and former News International journalists arrested is Rebekah Brooks.

Today, prosecuted have decided to charge both, Rebekah Brooks, ex-News International CEO and David Cameron’s former spin doctor Andy Coulson on bribery charges.

The Crown Prosecution Service says three others are to face action as part of the inquiry, called Operation Elveden.

They include Coulson and former News of the World royal correspondent Clive Goodman, who are to be charged with two conspiracies relating to the request and authorization of alleged payments to public officials in exchange for information, including a royal phone directory known as the “Green Book”.

It contained contact details for the royal family and members of the household.

Brooks, who was editor of the Sun between January 14, 2003 and September 1, 2009, is also facing charges, along with former Sun chief reporter John Kay and Ministry of Defence employee Bettina Jordan Barber.

The three are accused of a conspiracy to commit misconduct in public office between January 1, 2004 and January 31, 2012.

It relates to information allegedly provided by Barber to the Sun in return for payments.

So far, 52 people have been arrested as part of Operation Elveden, two of whom – a retired police officer and a former journalist – have been told they will face no further action.

A counter-terrorism detective had already been charged and is due to face trial in January.

Detective Chief Inspector April Casburn is accused of leaking information to the now-defunct News of the World about the police inquiry into whether to reopen the investigation into phone hacking.

The five are set to appear at Westminster Magistrates’ Court on a date to be fixed.

Operation Elveden is being run alongside two other inquiries – Operation Weeting, which is looking at allegations of phone hacking, and Operation Tuleta, an inquiry into accusations of computer hacking and other privacy breaches.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.