Michael Bublé, I Love Your Voice, but Shut up Already!

Michael Buble

By Dawn Cranfield

Michael Bublé, I Love Your Voice, but Shut up Already!

I have been a fan of Michael Bublé’s from the first time I heard him sing “Save the Last Dance for Me”; the Canadian crooner had a fan.  Within weeks of listening to the hit song being overplayed on the radio, I purchased two of his CD’s.  His voice filled was the only one I listened to each day as I made my round trip to work each day, and I downloaded songs to my MP3 player for my cool down after my runs.

For years, I have enjoyed listening to him belt out remakes of songs popularized by the smooth sophisticated voices of other singers, and I have rarely been disappointed.  Last Christmas I even purchased his latest CD dedicated to some of the most standard holiday hits I have loved since childhood.  I have

I had often opined I would enjoy seeing the seemingly polished, erudite international entertainer in concert, until the unspeakable happened.  So, what would make my acoustic love affair seemingly come to a screeching halt?

While listening to one of the music applications on my phone one day, I had selected “Michael Bublé radio” and a song came on.  It was a live version; not bad, I thought to myself as I selected the little hand symbol indicating I liked the song.  As the song came to an end, Michael started to speak to his live audience, “Please, please,” he said over thundering applause, his voice taking on a strange accent that I always like to the Count from Sesame Street when I repeat the story, “You love me too much.”  My love affair was over.

Something in me simply wants entertainers to do their job and to entertain; I want a singer to sing, an actor to act, and authors to write.  I have

Pretty Boy Floyd

no desire to know what they do in their free time; from their personal relationships, their children, their sexual orientation, or their political affiliations.  I do not seek the information out, and when I find out in a peripheral manner, such as glancing through the news and a story catches my eye, it can stretch from mild disinterest to bitter disappointment.

When I was in my early 20’s, I was enamored of a song by a band called Pretty Boy Floyd; so I bought their cassette, Leather Boyz with Electric

Toyz.  I had no idea what they looked like until I saw the case; I was bitterly disillusioned and could no longer listen to my favorite song of the day.  They wore more makeup than I had ever worn in my life, and most of them were prettier than I was at that time.  No more Pretty Boy Floyd.

Last year I was flipping through the television channels while staying at a hotel one night; there was an HBO special on about a great new band I had been enjoying, Kings of Leon.  I watched the special with an open mind, I thought.  It was interesting, to say the least; I was delighted to learn the group took the name Leon after the members’ grandfather.  However, I was less delighted by many of their manners and later some of the things I learned they said about their fans at a concert at The Knitting Factory in Reno, NV.  The negative feelings reverberate through my mind every time I hear one of my favorite songs by them now.

Kings of Leon

Perhaps, I judge too harshly; I really do not wish for you to shut up, Michael, and I am truly happy for your success.  Maybe you could just be a little more humble.

8 Responses to "Michael Bublé, I Love Your Voice, but Shut up Already!"

1. K   December 4, 2012 at 6:32 am

He said, “Don’t love me so much!”. Not, You love me too much. And he is always kidding around like that and his fans love him for it.

• Eileen   December 8, 2012 at 2:54 pm

I have to comment here as You’ve BADLY MISJUDGED Michael, I’ve known Michael Bublè for more than a decade now and have met him numerous times, I know the show you are referring to! He was being SARCASTIC!, he says it with a phoney Italian accent!…..Michael is a very funny guy, he’s also a VERY VERY NICE GUY, WHO INCIDENTALLY WORKED EXTREMELY HARD TO GET WHERE HE IS TODAY! He never just appeared on the music scene via some talent show he had it real tough for years!……..he is in real life a MOST HUMBLE young man, he just likes to goof around with the audience, go see him Live on stage THEN you’ll understand where he’s coming from……but keep listening to his music, I think you’d be the one missing out if you gave it up…….regards Eileen

• dawn7   December 8, 2012 at 3:11 pm

Eileen,
        You make a great point about how technology affords us the ability to so easily misunderstand the intent of a communication.

As you could probably tell from the article; I am a fan of his music, and I was not necessarily picking on his music. I was actually saying, I simply want to be entertained; on a secondary note, I was stating my own “faults” of being so easily irked by one little thing somebody does (such as not wanting to date a man who wears black socks at the gym, it’s just distracting and disturbing!).

Thank you again for your comments, they truly brought to light how easy it is to misread somebody when you don’t know them. For example, I’m really a lovely person; but, who would know when they read this?

Regards,
        Dawn

2. Marie   December 4, 2012 at 12:32 am

Entertainers I suppose unwind with their audience. You can always turn the sound off. God give the guy a break! To me he comes across with plenty of humility and just because he is highly successful doesn’t mean to say he doesn’t have his insecure moments. Let him talk whatever!!!

3. Faith p   December 3, 2012 at 4:31 pm

you may mean well , but taking something out of context the way you have is irresponsible on your part . not at all fair to Mr buble .. I know you are better than that .. regards Faith

• dawn7   December 3, 2012 at 4:58 pm

Thanks for your “faith” so to speak.

My point was rather that I prefer entertainers to entertain, not necessarily a direct slam against Michael Buble, as I clearly do not know him.

Thanks for weighing in, and allowing me to speak.

Always,
      Dawn

4. Faith p   December 3, 2012 at 3:52 pm

He was joking. Wow. Obviously don’t know he has a sense of humour.

• dawn7   December 3, 2012 at 4:01 pm

I think he was; it was Pandora, and the end of a song, I could not tell.

However, it came off sounding cocky and brash. Had I been at the concert it may have been a little easier to determine and perhaps I would not have been so critical.

Sometimes that is the problem with technology… now, his remarks are preserved forever.

Regards,