Update – Police Arrest Man Who Glorified Newtown Tragedy on Facebook

What is Being Covered Up?

First AmBy Dawn Cranfield

What is Being Covered Up?  Update –  Pittsburgh Police Arrest Man Who Glorified Newtown Tragedy on Facebook

Yesterday I reported on a breaking news story about the man who “glorified Newtown tragedy on Facebook”; today, I tried to find out some information on the same story in order to do a follow up story.  I went to the website where I initially looked for source information, WPXI.com; there was no information on the story.  Then, I looked on Brandon Hudson’s Twitter account and found a dead-end; his feed on the story left off at the same place where I had picked up my original story.

My next move was to Google the original material I was seeking, I typed in “Police find weapons in Lawrenceville home” and came across a link.  Much to my surprise, the links I found to the story were all “dead” links.  When I clicked on them the stories had all been removed, even though they were less than a day old.

Finally, I found a website that proved promising; Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association had a forum where I found they were discussing the topic that had me cruising the Internet tonight.  As I read through the posts, I found a link to the article I was searching for, the live broadcast of the coverage from the raid on the home in Lawrenceville, PA, yesterday.  As it turns out, a member of the site had cached the article.

I read through some of the discussions and, while I may not agree with them, I understand the frustration some of the gun owners are facing in this country today.  There has been no clear statement made as to why this man was targeted, other than “officers have been monitoring social media platforms more recently in hopes of tracking down crimes.”  (webcache.googleuser.content.com)

According to the report, the raid turned up several hand guns, rifles, and ammunition.

While it may be considered “tacky” to comment at all about what happened at the school in Newtown, CT, there is nothing being said about what comments were made on Facebook; for all anybody knows, he could have been upholding his Second Amendment right to bear arms. Facebook

However, now he might need to protect his First Amendment, freedom of speech.

My concern, though, is why the links to the “Breaking News” stories are all dead; why was it such an important story last night, but now I cannot find any information on it except for the fact that somebody on a pro-gun site decided to preserve a copy?  I have never been one to believe in conspiracy theories, but I believe in honesty, and if the information is available it should be provided.

I was once involved in a very important trial; there was mounds of evidence available for the prosecution and the defense to show to the jury, the common people selected to decide the fate of the woman on trial.  However, the judge was allowed to determine the relevance of each piece of information and whether or not it was germane to the case.

The idea that all of the facts are not significant to a case, or that one man, when we are all equal, is allowed to decide what is pertinent or not, is absurd.  If we are to live in a free country, the United States of America, we have a right to all of the information available, not what is censored by the police, the government, or the media.

imagesWhy are the links dead? I have no idea what is being hidden.

Original Article

Pittsburgh Police Arrest Man Who Glorified Newtown Tragedy on Facebook

Police in Lawrenceville have just taken three people of a Foster Street residence into custody; one man is suspected of glorifying the Newtown, CT, shootings on Facebook.

At this time, the police are not commenting on whether or not the man was making threats; however, weapons have been found in the home.

It is believed the man is likely being detained due to a prior probation issue.

A live update will be televised on Pittsburgh’s local Channel 11 news at 11 o’ clock news EST.

10 Responses to "Update – Police Arrest Man Who Glorified Newtown Tragedy on Facebook"

1. One of the 3   December 25, 2012 at 3:10 pm

I have the full story if this thread is still a concern. OP let me know who to contact.

• dawn7   December 26, 2012 at 10:22 pm

I would be interested to know if you have any details. You can email me, as I am the one who wrote the story.

Regards,
      Dawn

• one of the 3   May 19, 2013 at 5:17 pm

Its been awhile. I’ve been busy. But I just googled this again and seen your reply. I don’t know what your email is if you’re still interested

2. T.R.   December 22, 2012 at 1:34 pm

I’m pretty sure I know this guy. Days before the shooting and facebook posts even happened, I tried reporting him to a mental health facility because of things he told me (including that he has a gun when he should not.) But I guess no one took that seriously. Oh well, at least he’s in jail now.

• dawn7   December 22, 2012 at 2:45 pm

Life can be interesting that way; you never know what the police had in mind or if they took your complaint seriously. Luckily they have done something before anything happened.

However, they have never divulged what he said on Facebook… so, hopefully we will learn more about this story. Thanks for posting.

Regards,
      Dawn

• T.R.   December 22, 2012 at 2:54 pm

It seems that all but one of the posts were removed. They were bad jokes about the shooting. This is the only one that’s still there:

“Alot of people r gonna get mad at this, but the events of today proofed little kids arent bulletproof, maybe they should have cevlar desks :-)”

He told me that he’s schizophrenic. Not all schizos are violent/dangerous, but he’s obviously sick in the head. It angers me that no one looked into what I told them about him and the things he told me (not taking his meds, owning a gun, planning a rampage on the 21st.) Again, I’m not saying he definitely would have done something, but they should have taken that seriously and checked it out.

• dawn7   December 22, 2012 at 3:28 pm

I wish I could say I was stunned at the comments he made; but, sadly, I cannot. People are so depraved and make the most inappropriate comments at what they think are opportune moments.

Good for you for turning him in; and, perhaps the police did react (playing devil’s advocate here) but just very slowly. Maybe your tip is one of the things that helped lead them to his arrest. After all, it is not illegal to make sick jokes.

What reaction did you get from the police?

Dawn

• T.R.   December 22, 2012 at 3:39 pm

I spoke to someone at the mental health facility the guy receives treatment at. It was a phone conversation, and I was told that the guy’s case manager would be notified of the threats and possibility of a weapon. I suppose I should have gone to the police instead.

• dawn7   December 23, 2012 at 10:10 am

Hard to say; I don’t think you did the “wrong” thing. I think you did what you felt was the right thing to do.

Hopefully you won’t be up against something like this again.

Regards, Dawn