Boston: 11-year-old dies by carbon monoxide


Boston: 11-year-old died in the car by carbon monoxide poisoningBOSTON-A 11-year-old boy was died Saturday by carbon monoxide poisoning in Boston, Massachusetts. He was left in the back seat of a car with the engine running to keep him warm, while his father was removing the show with a shovel trying to free the vehicle.

Steve MacDonald, spokesman for the Boston Fire Department, said the boy was helping his father to remove snow in the Dorchester neighborhood but felt cold, so his father started the engine of the vehicle and left the child inside. MacDonald added that a bank of snow, which caused the odorless, covered the exhaust pipe and highly toxic gas combustion in the car was introduced.

“I do not know how long the child was in the car. Sometime the father continued to work and did not notice the boy’s condition,” said Boston firefighter Octavius Rowe, who lives nearby and went to help. “Very, very unfortunate,” he lamented.

When the child was asleep by smoke, the father had a respiratory arrest and emergency workers led both the Boston Medical Center, officials said. The child was pronounced dead at the hospital. Their names were not released.

Rowe said he was at home when he noticed the commotion in the street. He went out and saw the father leaning on a pile of snow.

“I came to the car where it all started and the father seemed to have lost consciousness,” Rowe told.

“I was semi-conscious and resting on the snow bank and I wanted to first remove it from the cold surface.”

Those that attempted to rescue the boy said he was vomiting and delirious. Authorities explained that although he had only been in the car for 10 to 15 minutes, the muffler and tail pipe were buried in the snow, and carbon monoxide had filled the inside of the vehicle.

Rowe said the man placed on a flat surface to revive. He said it appeared the child was put to an apartment building where a woman applied CPR. Fire Department Paramedics and Emergency Medical Services arrived and provided oxygen to stabilize father and tried to do talk to keep you alert.

“He was reacted, so at least we were able to make him stand and take the stairs. He said, ‘My son, my son’, so he knew his son was involved or was in trouble,” Rowe said.

Meanwhile, firefighters said another man was found in a car with the engine on Saturday afternoon in Mattapan, and a neighborhood of Boston, also died intoxicated with carbon monoxide, according to media.

So far 7 deaths are reported from states ravaged by this super storm. This was the only death reported in Boston.

4 Responses to Boston: 11-year-old dies by carbon monoxide

  1. nk March 11, 2013 at 2:03 am

    horrible grammar

    Reply
  2. nk March 11, 2013 at 2:01 am

    terrible grammar on this . unbelievable

    Reply
  3. learnto proofread February 12, 2013 at 12:25 am

    “MacDonald added that a bank of snow, which caused the odorless, covered the exhaust pipe and highly toxic gas combustion in the car was introduced.”

    editing. in an article like this, about something this tragic, you should at least exhibit some sensitivity and proofread your articles.

    Reply
  4. Docile Colemanic February 11, 2013 at 12:55 am

    Poor little boy. Amazing how tragic life can be.

    Reply

Your Thoughts?

Enter your email address to subscribe to this blog and receive notifications of new posts by email.

Quantcast