Natasha Harris, a mother from, Invercargill, New Zealand, died in February 2010 resulting from an addiction of drinking too much coca-cola.
Natasha Harris, died at a young age of 30, she leaves behind, eight children and partner, Chris Hodgkinson.
New Zealand Coroner, David Crerar, has argued that if it weren’t for her excessive consumption, she would not have died the way she did.
Mr Crerar found that she died from cardiac arrhythmia after her partner, found her slumped on the toilet, gasping for air.
She suffered from a list of medical conditions, including, but not limited to, a racing heart and rotten teeth, which her family said had rotted out from all the sugar in the coca-cola she consumed.
Natasha Harris, is reported to have drunk up to ten litres (two gallons) of coca-cola every day. That much coca-cola has twice the recommended daily allowance of caffeine and upwards of one kilogram of sugar (2.2 pounds).
The Coroner said in his report.”Natasha Harris knew, or ought to have known and recognized, the health hazard of her chosen diet and lifestyle.”
Enough is enough and its time the world’s most valuable brand name “Coca-cola” is taken to task. It will be a case that is likely to make parents around the world, stand up and take note. David Crerar is reported to have said, the soft drink company was not to blame for her death, although its product was a contributing factor.
Karen Thompson, a spokeswoman for Coca-Cola Oceania, said in a statement last April that its products are safe.
Coca-Cola has argued that the huge quantities of Coke Natasha Harris drank, could not be proven to have contributed to her death, and further said “The fact she had her teeth extracted several years before her death, because of what her family believed was Coke induced tooth decay, and the fact that one or more of her children were born without enamel on their teeth, should have been treated by her, and by her family, as a warning. But, we concur with the information shared by the coroner’s office, that the grossly excessive ingestion of any food product, including water, over a short period of time with the inadequate consumption of essential nutrients, and the failure to seek appropriate medical intervention when needed, can be dramatically symptomatic.”
The Coroner, further recommended the New Zealand Government consider including caffeine and sugar warnings on soft drinks, such as those already compulsory on other energy drinks.
One litre of Coca-Cola contains 97 milligrams of caffeine and 108 grams of sugar.
The World Health Organization recommends a daily maximum of 10 per cent of calories from free sugars, meaning a litre of the soft drink contains more than 10 times the recommended daily limit of sugar alone. Generally, in Canada, healthy adults are advised to drink no more than 400 mg of caffeine daily, or roughly three cups of coffee, according to Health Canada.