Senior CitizensDeceptive Practice – Con Game8th
District – Chicago Lawn
Senior citizens residing in the 008th
District (Chicago Lawn) should be aware of Deceptive Practices and Con Game scams being perpetrated. The Area Central Bureau of Detectives Property Crimes Unit has identified the following common examples of scams or confidence games.
In two cases, one offender arrives at the house of the senior citizen victim with a fictitious gas or electric work order. The offender gains entry to the premise to inspect pipelines, gas, electric lines, or water pressure. In the other two cases, two offenders pose as construction workers there to do a job. The offenders then distract the victims while they ransack the premises taking jewelry and currency.
• January 14, 2013, 9:50 AM, 6400 Block of South Kostner
• January 18, 2013, 1:15 PM, 5700 block of South Keeler
• January 25, 2013, 11:15 AM, 5300 block of South Sacramento
• January 31, 2013, 3:00 PM, 8200 block of South Kildare
• Descriptions vary but usually one or two male whites or Hispanics, between the ages of 35 to 50, 5’3” to 6’00” tall, 160 to 200 lbs.
• In one case, a red pick up truck was used, while in another case, a GMC SUV was used.
WHAT YOU CAN DO
• Always ask any caller identifying themselves as an agent of an organization or utility company employee for a return phone number
• Contact 3-1-1 to ensure that work is being done in your community, before allowingentry
• Always ask to see a worker’s Identification Card, before conducting any business
• Immediately report suspicious calls or activity to 9-1-1
If you have any information about this incident, Please call the Area Central Bureau of Detectives at (312) 747-8382 Reference: RD# HW116692, HW122160, HW130836, HW140239