iPhone5 upgrade makes an iPhone6 flaw inevitable?

iPhone5 upgrade makes an iPhone6 flaw inevitable?

Analysts at Canaccord Genuity and Topeka Capital both say that their checks indicate that a late summer or early fall release of an iPhone 5S is likely.

Wow, really? Why are they upgrading the iPhone 5, when consumers thought the iPhone iOS 6.1.3 was the fix for the bugs in the iPhone 5 in the first place?

According to analysts at Canaccord Genuity and Topeka Capital Markets, Apple will likely refresh its iPhone5 and release it this summer or at least by the third quarter of this year.  Both companies released reports to investors this week.

I can imagine consumers will be chomping at the bit to purchase, but I have to ask why? There was a fix offered for the iPhone iOS 6.1.3, that was created to fix the bugs in the iPhone 5. So now are they saying that the iPhone iOS 6.1.3 series will be obsolete this fall because they can’t come up with a fix? Did they jump the gun in releasing it to the wider public? It seems to me that they weren’t really ready, or they didn’t do proper testing. So now consumers will be offered an upgrade to the now old technology of the iPhone iOS 6.1.3 to an older more stable series of the iPhone 5. I don’t know about you. But I won’t be rushing to stores anytime soon for the new the iPhone5S in the fall. I think I’ll wait till they get it right, or maybe I’ll be waiting forever. Do they ever really get it ‘right’? There always seems to be a bug of some sort.

The analysts believe Apple Inc. (NASDAQ:AAPL) will begin to lose market share during the first half of this year because there is a “host of impressive recently-launched high-end Android smartphones” being released right now. The Samsung Galaxy S4 in particular just came out this month and is expected to put pressure on Apple.

Canaccord Genuity analysts said in their note that “Apple has a strong product pipeline” and believe that the company’s year over year earnings growth will accelerate once again in the September quarter, even though the company may be struggling right now.

Most early Apple iPhone5 might remember the lock screen bug, which drove a number of users nuts before Apple introduced a permanent fix. Only two days after Apple released the new “iPhone iOS 6.1.3 a new lock screen bug was discovered and allowed unauthorized users to bypass the four-digit PIN code on iPhones and iPads, essentially a new password bypass vulnerability.

And now they decide on sticking with the iPhone5 series?

The discovery could give an attacker access to private information. But the vulnerability is different from the passcode bug(s) addressed on Tuesday’s iOS update. Nonetheless, the end result is similar: hackers could access the iPhone’s contact list and photos.

The new lock screen bug was first documented by YouTube user videosdebarraquito, who bypassed it using nothing but a paperclip and posted a video demoing the fix procedure. The basic gist, seen in the video below, is to eject the iPhone’s SIM card while using the built-in voice controls to make a phone call. He makes a comment of ‘Sorry, iOS 6.1.3 has a new security flaw, but can be avoided easily. You should disable the “Voice Dial” option if you want to be safe’.

To bypass the iPhone passcode lock on iOS 6.1.3.

There are a couple important things to keep in mind. For one, it appears this bug applies to most modern iPhones, though apparently the procedure isn’t as easy as it looks. The YouTube video shows the hack being executed on an iPhone 4, and iphone in canada was able to replicate it on an iPhone 4. “The Next Web” was able to replicate it on an iPhone 4S but not an iPhone 5. But the iPhone 5 didn’t get away scot free, as German language site “iPhone blog.de” appears to have been able to replicate the bug on that version of the iPhone. We have not yet seen a confirmed case of the bug existing on the iPhone 3GS, though it’s probably safe to assume that it does.

The bug doesn’t look to be related to Siri—rather, it’s related to Apple’s older Voice Control feature. If you have Siri turned on for lock screen functionality (which can be found in Settings > General > Passcode lock), the above procedure doesn’t appear to work, so far, that is. From here, the phone application remains open, allowing access to recent call logs, contacts, and voicemail (if it isn’t protected by a separate PIN code). But also from here, photos and video can also be accessed by creating a new contact. When a new contact is created, it opens up access to the photos application — including Camera Roll and Photo Stream.

As soon as the screen turns off, the device locks again, but this can be bypassed with the SIM card tray removal trick.

Upon close examination of the screen recording we took, it appears that when Voice Control is used, it loads up the phone application in the background, which as it begins to call immediately it places this in ‘background’ mode. When the call begins, for a split-second the phone application displays as it transitions away, only to be replaced by the lock screen once the call is ended.

Removing the SIM card seems to ‘confuse’ the device, resulting in a pop-up display warning that the SIM card has been removed. This stalls the transition and keeps it in active play.

For now, disabling the feature on devices running iOS 6.1.3 appears to fix this bug.

41 Responses to iPhone5 upgrade makes an iPhone6 flaw inevitable?

1. Madiba ataraxia December 12, 2013 at 5:14 pm

lol Bob stick to point!

2. Phoo Bar April 5, 2013 at 4:50 pm

Dear Guardian,

How could you possibly employ Debra Wattes? Does she write this jibberish for free? Not only are her basic facts COMPLETELY WRONG the conclusions she draws from her own misinformation are completely flawed.

- Samsung has more lock screen exploits than Apple and the Samsung exploits give access to the ENTIRE DEVICE (not just phone and contacts and photos)

- The Galaxy S4 has been announced, but not released.

- “The Analysts predict Apple will lose market share” (no citation), but reports from comScore is showing they are gaining on Android and extending their lead on Samsung.

It is hard to list all the things wrong with this article because I would have to copy and paste the whole thing.

Debra Wattes is simply not qualified to be a writer. Even if she does this for free she is making you look bad.

Sincerely,
    Phoo

3. dumb March 27, 2013 at 12:45 am

is this one of those articles written by a paid samsung/google lackey or the writer is shorting AAPL stock? badly written & is full of who cares material desperately trying to bash apple by nitpicking about nonsense.

4. eecasal March 27, 2013 at 12:18 am

lol.. just lol

5. mercury7 March 26, 2013 at 2:23 pm

This article is terrible. It makes no sense whatsoever.

6. Brent Smith March 26, 2013 at 12:06 pm

“Mr. Madison, what you’ve just said… is one of the most insanely idiotic things i have ever heard. At no point in your rambling, incoherent response were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational though. Everyone in this room is now dumber for having listened to it. I aware you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul”

7. James May March 26, 2013 at 10:28 am

As I read this article, I thought to myself. Who hacked the site and posted their own gibberish for fun? I kept reading for some reason hoping some code at the end would help me decipher this mess. Then I got to the comments. I thought maybe it was just me, maybe I am too dim witted to understand the nuances of the English used in the article…. Whew. nope not dumb, all the comments are exactly what I was thinking as I read. Terrible article. Incoherent, ridiculousness

8. nik March 26, 2013 at 9:00 am

This was probably the worst article I have ever read.

9. MikeInTN March 26, 2013 at 8:22 am

Do you have editors? Are they on Vacation?

10. Denster March 26, 2013 at 7:24 am

This article is grossly inaccurate and needs to be removed from your site. Please understand what you are writing about before posting such misinformation. iPhone5 is the PHONE version. iOS6 is the OPERATING SYSTEM SOFTWARE version.

11. John March 26, 2013 at 7:19 am

Was this written by an intern????????????????

12. Josh March 26, 2013 at 6:14 am

How old are you?

One of the most poorly written articles I have read. Do they have editors at The Guardian?

An actual sentence:
    “I don’t know about you.”

Yes, I don’t know about you.

13. Travis March 25, 2013 at 7:56 pm

This article is all wrong.

14. Ramses March 25, 2013 at 7:38 pm

This is one of, if not the worst articles I’ve ever read in my life. You know absolutely nothing of which you speak of lady..

I’m scratching my head at the thought that you actually took time in your day to write such nonsense, didn’t you have anything else better to do?!? I mean seriously?!? I don’t even care to explain or point out your false claims, I mean it actually hurts my brain to have to process that nonsense.. WTF lady?!? WTF did you do to me?!?!?!?

15. Cubs March 25, 2013 at 5:15 pm

By far the worst article I’ve ever read!!!

16. craig March 25, 2013 at 4:40 pm

I switched from android to iOS. There are a lot of security flaws in android, not to mention inferior apps and slow to non existent os upgrades for most phones -which is why I switched. The truth is both systems have their pros and cons.

Most people don’t use half of the functions available to them on either system. That is the real sin, regardless of which phone people use.

I’m glad i’m not a homer for either and will feel free to switch to what I feel is my best option every two years. Competition is truly wonderful.

17. Bbak March 25, 2013 at 4:27 pm

Ummm, iOS and the iPhone are different things…..ok? One is software, one is hardware. The ‘bugs’ in the iPhone5 have NOTHING to do with the physical phone itself–only the software (iOS) which is installed upon it. Get it?

18. Foo Bar March 25, 2013 at 3:33 pm

Dear Debra Wattes,
    You are an absolute idiot.
    Sincerely,
    Foo

19. Sell Cell March 25, 2013 at 6:52 am

It’s getting harder to keep re-inventing and improving a phone that gets released every 12 months. They do have Jony Ive at the head of the design team now though, so I’m interested to see how that pans out.

20. Ajay March 24, 2013 at 9:39 pm

Writer …. Chodu Idiot Chutiyapa aaya hai kya ?????

kuch bhi likh raha hai…. totally confused to erite in favour or against……

21. Cody March 23, 2013 at 6:11 pm

Just wow..! she calls it “the iPhone iOS 6.1.3″ as if iOS 6.1.3 was a piece of hardware.

22. Chase March 23, 2013 at 5:27 pm

This has to be the worst article written on Apple technology I have ever read. You are so completely confused about the tech that this in no way helps any consumer, it only creates confusing misdirection. I would think that a publication like the guardian would at least review their proposed material a little bit better before posting.

23. Tim March 23, 2013 at 2:48 pm

Debra W. – You should consider a new career. You’re confusing hardware and software, and worse of all, you have absolutely made a mockery of journalism by publishing this awfully written article. I’m trying to decipher what you are trying to say, but it seems you think iOS6 = Iphone6?. Seriously?

What you just published is not journalism; please preserve some self respect by removing this article.

Bad writing aside, I have never heard of a piece of software, no matter how well designed or written, that does not have bugs that need patches from time to time. You can of course wait till the end of time for a “perfect” software, or in your words “get it right”. I am meanwhile waiting for you to get your writing and ideas “right”.

24. Steve March 23, 2013 at 2:46 pm

Agree with many comments above that this article is jumbled, nonsensical, amateurish and generally horrid. What is she trying to say? Debra, do everyone a favor and avoid all technology, since you seem very easily confused.

25. Yao March 23, 2013 at 12:47 pm

I know there is a lot of nonsense people out there, I think the writer is on the very top of the list.

26. frankie Rizzo March 23, 2013 at 9:19 am

MORON Alert!! lol… THERE IS HARDWARE AND SOFTWARE… Lets get back to basics here… 2 plus 2 = 4… abcdefghijklmnopqrstuvwxyz.. now you know your abc’s so stop being a moron and go watch polo.. or a but pirating event.

27. toonah March 23, 2013 at 9:09 am

So… what are you trying to say? This is a really confusing, poorly written article. Apple releases a new iPhone each year. That’s not news or speculation.

28. Lou March 23, 2013 at 8:06 am

This article is like the stain in my toilet paper.

29. Haon March 23, 2013 at 7:07 am

What “bugs” are you talking about that are related to the iPhone5 hardware? Yes, there have been a few software bugs that have been quickly patched by Apple, but there is no fundamental flaws in the iPhone5 (I own one, use one every day… no problems). I will say this… when there if a flaw in an iOS, Apple quickly patches it and puts out an update that can immediately be installed by all users. That is not possible with Android due to the fact that carriers have to than modify it for their individual customers (so many users are not able to update ever due to lazy carriers). I love Google and would love to try an Android phone… but I have no issues with my iPhone 5 and this article is nothing but lame Apple bashing.

30. Michael Stahlschmidt March 23, 2013 at 6:55 am

Without a doubt the most poorly written piece of garbage I have ever read. It jumps all over, makes virtually no sense, and seems to be written by someone to who english is not a first language.

Ms. Wattes had better find a career that is outside of journalism, as this piece would prevent her hiring anywhere. Wow. that was bad.

31. Drew March 23, 2013 at 2:20 am

I’m not even sure what the author is trying to say…

32. Tom March 23, 2013 at 12:20 am

Agree with Bob… From your viewpoint you are trying to create some type of HUGE ISSUE out of nothing that hasn’t happened to every tech manufacture out there. One point you forget to point out is physical access to the device. Humm… Glad I believe in the second amendment! :-)

33. Bob March 22, 2013 at 11:49 pm

This is trash writing. Full of speculation, inaccuracies, and a clear misunderstanding of Apple’s typical release cycle. It’s a shame you are allowed to have an opinion.

We will read your comment immediately so leave a remark!

RSS Guardian Express

• Iranian Messi a Target for European Elite: World Cup Preview [Video] April 20, 2014
    A number of Europe’s elite clubs are targeting a young forward dubbed the “Iranian Messi” before he is selected to represent his country at the 2014 World Cup. Rubin Kazan forward Sardar Azmoun is a rising star and he is tipped to win senior honors at the big event in Brazil. Premier League side Arsenal […]
    Robert Shepherd
  • Los Angeles Times Building Scare April 20, 2014
    A scare at the Los Angeles Times building resulted in a lockdown and search of the entire premises. Suspect, Matthew Lowes, was detained by police and taken without incident from the second floor of the building. The second floor of the Times building has space rented by VXI Global Solutions, which Lowes works for. Lowes […]
    Raul Hernandez
  • Indiana Pacers Struggles Continue April 20, 2014
    The Indiana Pacers’ late-season struggles continued as the team lost to the visiting Atlanta Hawks yesterday by a score of 101-93. When the team is playing its best, the offense features a balanced attack. In order for the offense to hum, the team needs balanced scoring from the inside and outside. Against the Hawks, Roy […]
    William Costolo
  • Influenza B Virus Making a Strong Spring Appearance April 20, 2014
    The Influenza strain B virus is making a strong appearance, although spring is not its usual time of year. This strain of the flu is not the same one that was making people sick mid-winter. This means that even if someone has already had the virus once this flu season, they can still get it […]
    Twanna Harps
  • Toronto Raptors Have Bitten Off More Than They Can Chew April 20, 2014
    If you look at the day the city of Toronto and their beloved Toronto Raptor’s had, it would be really easy to come to the conclusion that the  Toronto Raptors have bitten off more than they can chew. Toronto Sun Times readers were greeted with an incendiary cover , featuring a picture of Kevin Garnett […]
    Daryl McElveen