Maduro accuses U.S. for plot kill Capriles?

Maduro accuses U.S. for plan to kill Capriles?

Maduro first mentioned a plot against his rival, Henrique Capriles, last week, blaming it on former Bush administration officials Roger Noriega and Otto Reich. Both rejected the allegations as untrue, outrageous and defamatory.

“I call on President Obama – Roger Noriega, Otto Reich, officials at the Pentagon and at the CIA are behind a plan to assassinate the right-wing presidential candidate to create chaos,” Maduro said in a TV interview broadcast on Sunday.
Maduro, who is Chavez’s preferred successor, said the purpose of the plot was to set off a coup and that his information came from “a very good source.” Venezuela’s acting president urged United States leader Barack Obama to stop what he called a plot by the Pentagon and the Central Intelligence Agency to kill his opposition rival and trigger a coup before an April 14 election.

In an interview to the local Televen channel, Nicolas Maduro said Washington was planning to kill Capriles and shift the blame on the Venezuelan government to “create chaos” in the country.

Of course, Reuters notes that even Capriles, a centrist governor, doesn’t believe his rival’s story. In kicking off the opposition’s campaign in the provinces on Saturday, Capriles said Maduro would be to blame if anything happened to him.

Mr. Maduro said the CIA, Pentagon and several former US diplomats were behind the plot.

“I call on President Obama – Roger Noriega, Otto Reich, officials at the Pentagon and at the CIA are behind a plan to assassinate the right-wing presidential candidate to create chaos,” Maduro said in a TV interview broadcast on Sunday.

Maduro first mentioned a plot against his rival, Henrique Capriles, last week, blaming it on former Bush administration officials Roger Noriega and Otto Reich. Both rejected the allegations as untrue, outrageous and defamatory.

During his 14 years in power, the charismatic but divisive Chavez, who died March 5 after a two-year battle with cancer, often denounced US plots against him and his “revolution”. Critics dismissed those claims as a smokescreen to keep voters focused on a sense of “imperialist” threat.

He gave no more details, but said in a televised speech that the government had sent a senior general to meet with aides of Capriles. There was no immediate response from Washington or Capriles’ camp. Capriles, a 40-year-old centrist state governor who cites Brazil as his economic model for Venezuela, accuses Maduro of using his boss’s death as a mawkish campaign tool ahead of the April 14 vote.

Later on Sunday, his campaign team plans to launch Maduro’s official Twitter account in another move reminiscent of Chavez. Chavez’s @chavezcandanga account had drawn more than 4 million followers before his death – making it the second most-followed presidential account after Obama’s.

The election campaign began in a particularly nasty atmosphere, with both sides accusing each other of dirty tricks, and Capriles and Maduro landing very personalised blows.
At stake in the election is not only the future of Chavez’s leftist revolution but also the continuation of Venezuelan oil subsidies and other aid crucial to the economies of leftist allies around Latin America, from Cuba to Bolivia.

Venezuela’s acting leader also said on Wednesday that plans to embalm Chavez’s remains, in the style of Communist leaders Lenin, Stalin and Mao, had run into problems.

One Response to "Maduro accuses U.S. for plot kill Capriles?"

  1. dd   March 18, 2013 at 9:36 am

    he is on crack…

    Reply

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.