5 hip hop albums you should know about
5. WEIGHT AND GLORY – KB – In 2010 KB signed with Reach Records and in 2012 he released his debut album WEIGHT & GLORY. An album that was highly anticipated from the christian hip hop artist, WEIGHT & GLORY also features some of KB’s label mates and fellow christian artists; Lecrae, Tedashii, Trip Lee, Andy Mineo, Swoope, J Paul, Chris Lee Cobbins, and Suzy Rock. When it was released KB saw his debut album WEIGHT & GLORY debut at number 34 on the Billboard 200, number 1 on the top Christian and Gospel Albums charts, number 9 on the Independent charts, and number 4 on the Rap Albums charts. WEIGHT & GLORY also hit number 2 on the iTunes Hip-Hop and Rap chart, number 11 overall before eventually reaching number 7. WEIGHT & GLORY did what a lot hip hop albums fail to do today and that’s have content with substance. WEIGHT & GLORY is now available worldwide through iTunes or your local retailer.
4. GRAVITY – Lecrae – Lecrae has been making headlines for some time now, and as one of the founders of Reach Records, has signed some talented MC’s who focus not on fame for themselves but for making Christ famous through lyric and song. From his own debut album REAL TALK to his most recent 2012’s GRAVITY, Lecrae is not shy when it comes to sharing the gospel through lyrical flow. Lecrae’s GRAVITY sold 70,490 units sold its first week making it the #1 rap and independent album and it also ranked number 3 on the Billboard 200. Also, Lecrae currently holds the title as the highest-selling independent artist in first week sales for 2012. With GRAVITY, Lecrae holds nothing back as he speaks pure truth about the gospel of Jesus Christ.
3. THE TALENTED TENTH – Sho Baraka – Real name Amisho Baraka Lewis but fans know him as Sho Baraka, a christian hip-hop artist and writer and a founding member of the 116 Clique. Sho Baraka has appeared on tracks with his fellow label mates such as Trip Lee, Lecrae, and has released two albums with Reach Records. In 2011, Sho stunned fans and left Reach Records as an artist but he is still affiliated with the label in terms of touring and booking. Sho Baraka in 2013 released a new album entitled THE TALENTED TENTH under his new label the High Society. Like his fellow brethren at Reach, Sho has gained much success and has also written and directed a feature film entitled MAN UP. The title coming from the album MAN UP which features his 116 clique and it includes Lecrae, Tedashii, Trip Lee and Sho as well. As for THE TALENTED TENTH, Sho continues to create good messages inspired by the word and puts them on wax.
2. HERO’S FOR SALE – Andy Mineo – HERO’S FOR SALE is Andy Mineo’s debut album and Andy brings some serious heat to the mic as he shows that he is unashamed of his Lord. Staying true to his 116 brethren he continues the saying “brag on my lord.” A movement that began with fellow label mate Trip Lee. Some may of first heard Andy on the MAN UP compilation or as a feature on one of Reach’s other artists’ project. Now, Mr. Mineo has released his own album and unashamedly he teaches the gospel through lyrical skill. HERO’S FOR SALE available now worldwide through iTunes where it has already seen success as it has reached number 2 on the iTunes charts.
You Will – Andy Mineo from HERO’S FOR SALE:
1. THE GOOD LIFE – Trip Lee – Writer and artist Trip Lee came on the scene in 2004 as a writer for Reach Records before signing as an artist. From his debut IF THEY ONLY KNEW to his most recent THE GOOD LIFE the album and his debut book of the same name. It is safe to say that Trip Lee loves to brag on his lord and now as a minister Trip Lee who’s birth name is William Lee Barefield III is more than just an artist who raps about the gospel but teaches it as well. THE GOOD LIFE the album and book are both available now worldwide through iTunes or your local bookseller.
Trip Lee – One Sixteen – Feat. KB & Andy Mineo