By Dawn Cranfield
Justin Bieber Twitter Following not as many as once Reported
While it has been reported Justin Bieber is the most highly followed person on Twitter that may not be the case. According to a new study published by Socialbakers, a company specializing in social media analysis, almost half of the young singer’s followers are fakes.
The reports shows out of 37 million followers, almost 17 million of them are linked to fake or inactive accounts.
The criterion Socialbakers uses to determine a bogus account can be:
- An account where phrases are spam is suspected and phrases are repeated like “diet”, “make money”, or “work from home”
- The account may be followed by only one person or be following fewer than 50 people
- They retweet more than 90% of the time
- There has never been an actual tweet from the account
- Over 90% of the tweets are links
- Each tweet is repeated three or more times
Of course, with the higher volumes of traffic on a Twitter account there are bound to be more counterfeit users targeted towards those accounts. Therefore, it is not atypical to see millions of fake tweets geared toward Bieber.
The top 10 Twitter accounts, according to Socialbakers, are Justin Bieber, Lady Gaga, Katy Perry, Barack Obama, Rihanna, Taylor Swift, YouTube, Britney Spears, Shakira, and Justin Timberlake. There are millions of fake and inactive users on all of the top 10 accounts.
However, with Bieber’s almost 17 million inactive and fake followers, leaving him with only 17.8 million “good” followers, this leaves him as number two behind Lady Gaga; she has almost 19 million good followers.
So, Lady Gaga still reigns supreme when it comes to social media.