Akein Scott, age 19 Identified as New Orleans Shooter

new orleans shooting

 

Police have identified, and released the name of one of three suspects who attacked the Mother’s Day Parade in New Orleans, and wounded 19 people.

New Orleans Police Supt. Ronal Serpas said the department is searching for Akein Scott, age 19.

Police have searched three residences in hopes of finding him.  He was identified by several witnesses who were at the scene.

Allegedly Scott and two others opened fire on a parade Sunday, and wounded 19 people, three of which were reported in critical condition.

“We are coming to find him. We will find him,” Serpas said.

Scott has a criminal past.  In April, 2012, he was charged with possession of a stolen firearm.  The District Attorney decided not to take the matter to trial.  In March of this year, he was arrested and charged with resisting an officer, illegally carrying weapons, possession of heroin and illegal possession of stolen firearms and illegally carrying weapons with controlled dangerous substance.

Initially after the attack, both witnesses and surveillance films depicted a young African-American man running from the scene.  He was wearing a whit tee shirt and Levis.

New Orleans Mayor Mitch Landrieu urged anyone with information on the “very tragic” shooting in the 7th Ward to contact authorities, The Times-Picayune newspaper reported.

“These kinds of incidents are not going to go unanswered,” the mayor said Sunday evening. “We’re going to be very, very aggressive. There were hundreds of people out there today. So somebody knows who did this and the way we’re going to stop the violence together in this city is everybody come together. We really need help. … We will find them.”

The shots were fired at 1:47 p.m. Sunday during what is locally referred to as “a second-line parade”.

Second-line parades are loose processions in which people dance down the street, often following a brass band. They can be impromptu or planned and are sometimes described as moving block parties.  The parade was about two blocks long, and included police officers.

When the parade reached North Villere and Frenchmen, shots were fired by at least three individuals.  Police officers verify that they witnessed three suspects running from the scene.

Shermaine Tyler, 32, who lives nearby, told The Times-Picayune that a man collapsed onto her after being shot.

“Me and mom were going to the second line. I told her I didn’t want to go because there are always shots at a second line,” Tyler said. “And the second I heard shots, I heard shots fired, we ran outside and one man fell in my lap who had been shot.”

The area where the shooting occurred was in a low, middle income area,  whose occupancy is only about 60% of what is was before hurricane Katrina.

Scott was scheduled to report this Thursday on the charges levied against him in April.  He was out on a $15,000 bond.

James Turnage

The Guardian Express

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.