George Bush Intercontinental Airport Shooting

1 dead, 1 injured after shots fired

George Bush Intercontinental Airport Shooting

CNN affiliate KHOU reported a man walked into the terminal with a military-style semi-automatic rifle and fired two shots into the ceiling. When he was confronted by an air marshal, the man pulled out another gun and shot himself, the station said, citing witnesses in the terminal. Shots were fired near a ticket counter at Houston’s largest airport on Thursday, and at least one person was critically injured, a Houston police spokesman said.

Police received calls about discharge of gunfire by the ticketing area at Terminal B at the Houston Airport at around 1:35 p.m. CDT Thursday, the spokesman said.

The man, who was not immediately identified, was transported to a local hosptial with at least one gunshot wound that was considered life-threatening. The man allegedly fired in the air at Houston’s Bush Intercontinental Airport, was fired at by an air marshall, who missed, and after shooting himself was rushed to a hospital, where he was pronounced dead. The incident comes a day before the NRA annual meeting in Houston.

A law enforcement source with knowledge of the investigation into the shooting told CNN that a man attempted to get through a security checkpoint with a gun and when authorities tried to apprehend him, he killed himself. The FAA has issued a ground stop of arriving flights to Terminal B, but departing flights from Terminal B and flights in and out of the rest of the airport are unaffected.
Houston police spokesman John Cannon says one armed man has been transported to an area hospital with life-threatening injuries.

According with Reuters the man then pulled out a handgun, shooting and killing himself. All terminals at the airport were locked down as a result of the shooting, and the man was rushed to a local hospital, but was later pronounced dead, Houston Police said. Roxanne Mena, with the Harris County Medical Examiner’s Office, said a team was going to the airport to pick up the body of a male gunshot victim.

The shooting occurred near the ticketing counter in the terminal. “People were screaming. I knew exactly what it was — gunfire,” Howard said.
Police from an adjacent station rushed in, and Howard said he directed them to the floor above.

The airport announced on its Twitter feed that the terminal had been closed and passengers would be redirected to other terminals.

The Federal Aviation Administration says flights arriving Thursday afternoon at Houston’s George Bush Intercontinental Airport were delayed by nearly an hour because of a “security” issue.

“It seemed like quite a few shots. Everyone was scrambling, running left and running right, turning tables up and hiding behind tables. Nobody knew what was happening.

Witnessing the shooting was “terrifying.”