Beheadings by the Taliban

Taliban

Afghanistan is continually at war.  If not fighting sources from outside the country, their internal strife appears eternal.  The villains are the tribal warriors known as the Taliban.  Their victims are frequently the innocents of their own country.  The Taliban beheaded two boys this weekend.  One was scavenging for food.

In Kandahar Province, which is in southern Afghanistan, a 10-year-old boy was searching a trash container for scraps.  It was near a security checkpoint.  Taliban militants chased, caught him, and cut his head off.

A 16-year-old boy was also beheaded after an unknown ‘violation.’

The Taliban has apparently launched a ‘spring offensive,’ attacking Afghan security forces with a greater frequency.

What is being called a ‘suicide attack,’ Taliban commandeered two buildings near the airport in Kabul.  They began firing on military locations.

The attack was launched at 4:30 Kabul time.  Local residents were awakened by explosions and sporadic gun fire.  Two suicide bombers blew themselves up, and the other five were killed when elite Afghan security forces stormed the unfinished buildings.

“There were seven assailants, two suicide bombers died detonating themselves and five others were killed in fighting,” Kabul police chief Mohammad Ayoub Salangi told reporters.

“There have not been any casualties to the security forces, and we have not received any report of civilian casualties so far.”

There were some international forces assisting the Afghans, but they were quick to praise the well-trained and efficient security forces of Afghanistan for the counter attack.

The insurgents never breached the airport grounds, but all flights were cancelled for several hours.

The Taliban have claimed a victory in the attack.  They said that several Afghan military, and foreign agents were killed by the seven militants.  Afghan authorities and NATO deny this, and continue to tell news agencies that no one was harmed.

The most recent attack on Kabul by the Taliban occurred on May 24th.  Suicide bombers, and insurgents with guns attacked the International Organization for Migration compound.

One bomber detonated himself outside the compound and destroyed or severely damaged several buildings.  A policeman, two civilians and all four militants died in that attack, which was also widely lauded as a victory for Afghan’s security forces due to the limited casualty numbers.

Concerted efforts by NATO allies to train Afghan security forces is crucial to the stability of the country.  By the end of 2014, all 100,000 allied forces will have departed Afghanistan.

Just last Saturday, an Afghan soldier shot and killed two U.S. Soldiers, and one U.S. civilian in the eastern city of Paktika.

In another recent attack designed to shake confidence in Afghanistan’s prospects after 2014, International Committee of the Red Cross (ICRC) offices in the eastern city of Jalalabad were attacked on May 29.

The Taliban were removed from power and from Kabul in 2001.  They had been harboring members of al-Qaeda, some of who were thought to be associated with the 911 attacks.  They have waged a desperate war ever since.

Taliban attacks on allied forces and the government of Muhammad Karzai have been brutal and bloody.  This latest instance of the beheading of two boys is exemplary of the ruthless way the Taliban attack even their own people.

James Turnage

The Guardian Express

source1
source2

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.