Jaguars Show Commitment to Jacksonville

The Jaguars announced today that the team and Jacksonville have reached an agreement on improvements
The Jaguars announced today that the team and Jacksonville have reached an agreement on improvements

Before Shahid Khan took over ownership of the Jacksonville Jaguars, it was thought that the Jaguars would eventually move one day. Well that is no longer the case as once again the Jaguars have shown their commitment to Jacksonville once again.

On Wednesday, the Jaguars announced that the team and the city have come to an agreement on enhancements to Everbank Field that will cost approximately $63 million.

Now some may say that this is just another cash grab by an National Football League team. That is clearly not the case as the plan shows the Jaguars are fully committed to Jacksonville. The evidence is in the details of the agreement.

  • New video scoreboards will be placed in each end zone with each one measuring 55 by 301 feet, which makes them the largest of their kind in the world.
  • Major enhancements to EverBank Field’s video capabilities.
  • New LED fascia board displays:

I.            Two sideline boards, each measuring 3.6 by 579 feet

II.             Two displays in the Bud Light Party Deck and above the Terrace Suites in the South End Zone, each measuring 3.6 by 106 fee

III.            Two displays over tunnels, each measuring 6 by 22 feet

IV.            One display in the North End Zone measuring 10 by 400 feet

  • A new scoreboard control room equipped with state-of-the-art software.
  • A new platform area in the north end zone with pools, unique food and beverage offerings, interactive activities and much more than will entertain and serve guests in a fashion that celebrates the vibe and spirit of life in Jacksonville .

Construction of the platform will result in the removal of approximately 7,000 seats, though temporary seating can be installed for major events that will require a larger stadium capacity. According to Khan, the this project came to fruition due to the Jaguars being shown a commitment by the city as well.

“Our determination to see this concept brought to reality was matched by Mayor Brown, and his impressive work on this project is why we’re able to move so quickly,” said Khan.  “This is what can happen when two parties are committed to a common goal. We support Mayor Brown’s initiatives to bring new energy to Downtown Jacksonville and the city’s urban core, and the enhancements to EverBank Field that we are announcing today will help position Jacksonville as a home and destination for major events, now and in the future.  This is indeed great news for Jacksonville.”

The City of Jacksonville will fund the total estimated $36.4 million from capital project funding to build the north end zone fan engagement area as well as the necessary infrastructure and control room to support the video scoreboards at both ends of the stadium.  The Jaguars will fund 75 percent of the estimated $26.5 million for the new video scoreboards, with the City of Jacksonville funding the remaining 25 percent from capital project funding.

Jaguars fans can rejoice as their team has shown a clear commitment to the city for the near and distant future.

By: Paul Kasprzak

One Response to "Jaguars Show Commitment to Jacksonville"

  1. Robert   June 19, 2013 at 11:05 pm

    More good news.

    But, nevertheless, you know many moronic journalists will continue to write article after article stating that the Jaguars are moving…

    Reply

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.