Under The Dome A Disgrace Nothing Like The Book

The Cow Slaughtering Was Too Fake

Under The Dome A Disgrace Nothing Like The Book

On Monday night Under the Dome was finally aired, and we could all see what had happened to Stephen King’s book. (A book that certainly isn’t for the weak hearted, tender footed or soft in the belly people. Even though the beginning might look all suave, and pleasant the ending will be that much more difficult to swallow.) The opinions of the public are divided. Either people who read the book hate the series, that’s usually the case, and others who saw it with an open mind liked it. There is some debate whether the cow slaughtering was too fake or not fake enough. (Some fans argued that if the cow would have looked too real, that would have been a problem because the public would have deemed it as too gruesome.) Many Under the Dome readers came to the conclusion, that the series is nothing like the book, and that for some it’s an actual disgrace.

Here are some discussion points. (Also handy if you need discussion material at the water cooler/coffee machine/parking lot)

• The producers of the TV series have changed characters. One being that a character from the book, who was a stalker, suddenly has been changed into a boyfriend. (Who is crazy of course.)
  • Even though some members of the public really hated the series, and hoped it would be cancelled by the TV network, this isn’t likely to happen. Amazon will pay for the show, and CBS will air it. So no need not to watch it if you are worried it might be cancelled, because the acting isn’t up to par or the story line is a bit wobbly so far.
  • The book is really scary in a way that it doesn’t contain weird flesh eating creatures, or anything like that, but vile towns people with horrible minds. Necrophilia, murder, rape etc. Everything in our society that is dark, and shouldn’t see the light of day, does see the light in Mister King’s book. Maybe not the way you would like to spend your Monday evening.
  • A few fans of the book thought Under the Dome the TV series is a disgrace, and nothing like the book. They said the following: ” The story is WAY off base already, and it just started. The main story, and characters should not deviate in such a way that it no longer resembles the original work. It has so many glaring inconsistencies, I’m embarrassed for Mr. King, whose work I truly enjoy. I can’t say that I expected more, though. Every SK film adaptation has been off target. “Cujo” and “The Running Man” come to mind.” Do you agree with this Mister King fan? Did the TV series stray that much? Or is there still hope?

A final fun point to make is that some people think that the Simpson’s movie was first, and Mister King’s series came later. Nothing could be further from the truth. Because,┬áthe Under the Dome concept was an idea Stephen King had in the seventies. At the time, however, he felt it was too big to tackle; but he said the initial idea stayed with him. The title, “Under the Dome,” is mentioned in “Stephen King: The Art of Darkness” by Douglas E. Winter. In this work of nonfiction, published in 1984, Mr. King talks about a novel on which he was working in the eighties; originally, he called it “Under the Dome,” then he changed it to “The Cannibals.” Some of “The Cannibals” was posted on King’s site. He then went on to publish this book, and now in 2013 it has been made into a TV mini series. Some might say it’s a disgrace, others might agree with the fact that it’s nothing like the book, while others might be pleased that there summer might not be that boring as they initially thought.

By Georgina Pijttersen

11 Responses to "Under The Dome A Disgrace Nothing Like The Book"

1. doug   January 12, 2016 at 9:02 pm

A writer should know the difference between there and their

2. Noah Salakk   October 20, 2015 at 6:03 pm

I have read nearly everything that King has written, most a few times over.. (I think I’ve read “The Stand, uncut” 5 times).. I have always had a generally poor opinion of his movies/miniseries’ but this one TAKES THE CAKE!!! Mr. King, I think Shawshank and Green Mile were the only ones to be even moderately converted and The Green Mile is at the top of the 2.. (ONLY TWO)… I won’t even get into the specifics of you bowing down to the “Politically Correct” indoctrination that is presently destroying the world… I truly miss the old Stephen King..

3. gene clark   July 2, 2015 at 10:33 pm

I wish Mr. King would just have the courage to say “hey, they threw a ton of money at me, so we gonna change the story and make it last as long as possible”. I hope the gunslinger never gets made now, because this makes me cry…what would you to to Roland I wonder? Mr. King, your fanbase is not made up of idiots, I think its a total disgrace that you sold out, but on the other hand…judging by your recent books…you obviously are running out of ideas.

4. James   July 21, 2014 at 7:48 pm

My problem is that Junior is being portrayed as a hero and “big Jim” might weigh all of 180 LBS, put alone that the ONLY resemblance between THE DOME book and THE DOME TV series is there is a DOME over the town……..and that’s it.

5. Anonymous   September 1, 2013 at 7:56 am

I wasn’t too bothered with the changes until last week’s episode, when “Maxine” showed up. Changing existing characters is one thing, but introducing new characters and story lines that were never in the book is something else entirely. Every week, this story gets farther and farther from the book, and I don’t even know if I’ll be able to watch until the end of the series.

6. angela   July 2, 2013 at 4:16 pm

HUGE fan of Stephan King. Devoured the wonderful perfect epic that was Under the dome twice. Was very excited by the prospect of the series. Watched the first episode, thought to myself….changed a lot, but ok, I can cope with that. Watched second episode, cannot see how this giant pile of crap even made it to screen or how Mr King signed off on it. To save the book being ruined forever for me,I’m not going to watch anymore of the drivel that is the screen adaption of the book. WHY WOULD ANY SCREEN WRITER CHANGE A THING BECAUSE IT WAS PERFECT AS IT WAS.

7. Denise Peacher   July 2, 2013 at 9:10 am

I totally agree with everyone else’s comments. I just recently read the book and was VERY excited that the mini-series was not far behind. I knew that the ending of the show had been changed, with Steven King’s blessing, and I was fine with that. However, almost EVERYTHING else has been changed. The whole character and flavor of the book is ruined. I’m VERY disappointed with this show. When The Stand was made, they did a brilliant job. They kept everything the same as the book, and I adored it. Too bad they couldn’t have done such a good job with this one.

8. booboo   July 1, 2013 at 7:27 am

I read the book twice, series disappointing.

9. Charlie Mapp   June 26, 2013 at 1:54 pm

What a disappointment after the huge build up. Hard to believe King was involved with this total annihilation of his fantastic novel!

10. Nancy   June 26, 2013 at 11:07 am

As a long-time fan, I too was very disappointed in what has been done to Stephen King’s work. I have heard of dramatic license, however when one takes a book that on it’s own is truly twisted and crazy scary good, and messes with the portrayal of characters, the primary story line, and makes the major character of Barbie out to be a murderer in the first 5 minutes of the story, takes the single newspaper editor, and suddenly she’s married… I mean what’s up with that??? Not to mention that I watched the whole first episode (what a waste of an hour), and found it lacking in both clear storyline, and any development of the character’s. What a “Clustermug!!”

11. Joanne Murray   June 25, 2013 at 5:16 pm

I watched the first episode for 15 minutes and then I couldn’t stand it anymore. I have read the book 3 times and love it. I was interested to see how true they would be with the series and I was so frustrated watching from the first minute. They’ve completely changed everyone which totally detracts from the whole story subplots. Who the hell did Barbie murder? Why is Phil completely sane and what’s with Junior and Angie. I am very disappointed and I was really looking forward to watching this. Definite thumbs down.