Xbox Set to Lose Devoted Gamers

Xbox set to lose fans

As the murky details of just what the new Xbox one will and will not be able to do, one thing is certain. Microsoft and Xbox are set to lose some pretty devoted gamers to the new PS4 from Sony.

There has always been a conflict between hard-core gamers who would fight to the death in defence of all things Xbox. Sony fans are just as rabidly protective of their gaming console. But since the two competitors first launched the separate, and not equal, gaming systems, there have been things that appealed to gamers from both consoles.

Without getting into a long winded dissertation about engines and technical specifications that would make me drop off halfway through, I’ll get straight to the point.

The biggest issue surrounding both the new Xbox and the new PlayStation are used games. We won’t jump on Sony yet, they are still holding their cards fairly close to their vests and not giving too much away. But Microsoft have thrown down the gauntlet.

The issue of Microsoft “killing” used games has been around for awhile now. The lastest news is that you may be able to trade or swap or even give your old games away, but it’s going to cost you, or the person you’ve traded-with/swapped-for/given-to.

In essence, under the new Xbox one system, you will have to download, or upload if you prefer, your purchased game onto your Xbox. The code that you will enter after buying the game is a “one-time” only code. If you ditch the game and a friend wants to upload it onto their machine, they will have to pay a price to do it.

But here is the good part (spelt bad part really) when your friend uploads your old game, Microsoft will, via the internet connection, erase your copy on your machine. That whole schtick about checking your Xbox every 24 hours suddenly becomes a lot more ominous, doesn’t it.

The 24 hour checking system is the other bone of contention. Forget “Big Brother is watching,” He’s in your darned house. Plus, since all the new Xbox systems will have Kinect as a mandatory part of the console, big brother can listen to you as well. Who needs a phone tap when you’ve got the new Xbox one?

Microsoft have already admitted to providing information to the NSA, what’s to stop them from using the Kinect from providing the government with even more information about you? And before you start murmuring about paranoia, don’t forget, this is the government that brought us drones that can see into our homes.

But conspiracy theories about Microsoft and the NSA aside, it is the gaming issue that is, thus far, killing the new Xbox. Microsoft made it pretty apparent at their “big reveal” that they are expecting CoD, Fifa, NFL and racing games to carry the brunt of the new consoles games sales, oh and don’t forget the exclusive Xbox game Halo.

The news of the new Halo television extravaganza being helmed by Hollywood wunderkind Steven Spielberg was also touted by Microsoft.

In some ways the new Xbox could be seen as a good thing. That Microsoft want to replace your television receiving box, your telephone (Skype calls, wow!) and your computer laptop/PC/tablet sounds great. The new system also puts a lot of emphasis on voice commands. Sure that is pretty neat in a Buck Rogers in the 21st Century sort of way, but seriously, voice commands are great for “in-game,” just ask any Mass Effect fan who couldn’t wait to say “Liara singularity!” But I cannot get really excited about telling my Xbox to put on the television channel I was just watching.

While both Microsoft and Sony have hedged a bit on the used game issue, with both companies saying that the “payment” for using second hand games lay firmly with the game’s publishers, one still has to consider that the whole question of second hand games was their bete noire all along.

Without the two companies grousing about loss of revenue, it would never have become that big an issue. The other issue of Sony not wanting to do “hard copies” of games any longer hasn’t really been an issue with the new Xbox, but then; do they really need any more negative hype?

But so far, the Microsoft Xbox looks set to lose a lot of those devoted gamers who would “rather fight than switch” their system. Fans that, until now could almost resort to violence to stand up for their (pardon the pun) Halo’d system. As more information comes out about both systems, we’ll try to keep our gamer audience apprised of the changes. I for one am leaning very heavily toward the the PS4.

By Michael Smith

Source

24 Responses to "Xbox Set to Lose Devoted Gamers"

1. Dural   June 10, 2013 at 12:37 pm

Definitely going to be a PC Gamer with a PS4!!!

2. jcalberta   June 10, 2013 at 11:55 am

Don’t get twitchy with yer gun hand, but i never got into the console thing … I’m a PC person.
    Funny thing though … strange things going on down at MS. First (second? third? twentieth?) they put out this unwieldy Windlows 8 … followed my more concept blunders.
    Here’s multi-billion dollar corporation full of highly paid professionals (?) shoveling out stuff that is full of flaws and that almost instantly people complain about and point out obvious problems technical, applicable and marketing flaws. Don’t they test drive this stuff ???? You get the feeling that their attempts to grab market and power outweighs practical concerns.
    Good thing they don’t make cars.

3. filmlouvre   June 10, 2013 at 12:08 am

I have nothing to lose either because I’m loyal to Sony (PS2, PS3, Home Theatre), yet that part about deleting the game on your XBOX when your friend uploads it made me go ‘What?!!’. Looks like XBOX One is the beta version for a HAL 9000!

4. Teepee12   June 9, 2013 at 7:56 pm

Good I don’t play any of those game, huh. Nothing to lose.

5. Al_x   June 9, 2013 at 5:06 pm

The problem is Xbox is making a clear move to try and control gamers and their content. You can buy the game but it won’t really be yours. Forget collecting the games because once your console is no longer supported your games will not work.

6. Ron Catapano   June 9, 2013 at 5:01 pm

I think that a big part of it is that people are just getting tired of paying for things they don’t own or have any real control of.

Digital music used to be this way, but now you can back it up or leave it on the cloud. “YOU” get to choose what to do with “your” music. You can save your digital novels too.

Digital movies and comic books haven’t gotten there yet, but they will eventually.

If you want people to pay for digital goods you have to at least provide the illusion of ownership.

This reminds me of an old joke about a businessman who envied a prostitutes ability to sell the same thing over and over again without ever losing what she sold.

7. Taylor   June 9, 2013 at 4:44 pm

Hey you, you are not a gamer you are just blogger troll who wants some attention. I am a hardcore gamer and I don’t see a problem beside you twisted the fact and just keep masturbating with your own idea to hate XBOX, I doubt that you even play any game or going to buy PS4. I think you don’t even have enough money and so you come up with this idea of writing a blog for your own masturbating popularity.

Michael Smith,

You should include ALL of the facts Microsoft has stated on te matter of used game DRM. For example:

Microsoft (themselves) are NOT forcing used game DRM or the payment of additional money to ANYONE to sell or play a used game. They are simply ENABLING publishers the control of how their games are sold or given away. Stop pointing the finger at Microsoft, they are simply giving PUBLISHERS the control they’ve asked for for years.

Blame them.

• Cccc   June 9, 2013 at 4:56 pm

You’re the same person as Robert. It’s so obvious, both you’re post are identical in how you type, CAPITALIZE certain words. I’m just curious how much you’re getting paid.

• Robert   June 9, 2013 at 5:38 pm

LOL!! No.
        I think it’s pretty obvious he simply copy/pasted what I said, is it not? I have a similar opinion as to Taylor has, but I believe the there is a little unprofessional-ism there I wouldn’t use. And he only capitalized XBOX and PS4, as they should be.

• xiromisho   June 9, 2013 at 5:01 pm

Yes, Enabling the Publishers to control the game.

Just let that Fox in the Hen house, he won’t get too many of them, just one or two and then he’ll be done right?

You think all the publishers ganged up on poor defenseless Microsoft and forced them on them? Developers do not dictate a console, it is the other way around. The Console is what the developers need to change for. Are there concessions? Sure. But this is a joint effort.

The “We’re allowing publishers to control how games are traded/resold” is a very nice way of MS shifting the blame when EA releases a game that, quite simply, cannot be traded or resold without hacking it.

So a hacking we will go – more pirates created out of need thanks to a murky DRM policy filled with “Maybes” and “you might get this” or “Well you’re going to need to ask HIM what HE thinks about THAT” – by shifting the blame they hope that when the

Publishers stand up proudly and say:
      “Hey Billy! Great game you got there! Now you be careful with our game Billy, don’t do anything silly or we’ll take it away from you!”
      Billy: “But I bought this game! It’s mine!”
      Publishers: “Oh Billy, no no no! You paid for the game, but using it in a way we don’t like is against the license, and we’ll revoke it if you don’t play nice or make the game do stuff it shouldn’t, or if we feel like you did something the game shouldn’t have allowed you to do.”
      Billy: “Will I at least get my money back?”
      Publishers: “Oh Billy… have you considered a career in comedy? You’re very funny son!”

Meanwhile Microsoft stands there shrugging their shoulders say: “Well WE didn’t do it, that was all THEM – we gave THEM the option, THEY just didn’t do it.”

So no, I won’t be buying an Xbox One, despite it looking like the better console (really, it is. It’s AMAZING! I’m a PS3 owner and I’d have bought the Xbox One prior to hearing about the DRM.) – I likely won’t buy the PS4 however, because It’s unlikely the copy-cats at Sony aren’t going to do something similar.

8. dazy   June 9, 2013 at 4:44 pm

OMG! NO! The government will be watching me watch TV and eating pizza! I’m doomed!

9. Ishmale Whale   June 9, 2013 at 4:36 pm

I’ll never have a new MS game system in my home. I have an XBOX black original, but in no way will I buy or allow this new spy system into my home.

10. Mega   June 9, 2013 at 4:32 pm

Its really about being able to limit the kinect camera and microphones, so that i still have some level of control and privacy. This seems like Microsoft is taking that control from its users, and the worse part is that people pay a fee to be a part of the surveillance…sad.
    The nail in the xflop coffin will be the used games, you can’t charge people $60 bucks then handcuff them, I can’t wait until M$ erase the game off a person xflop behind thier backs.
    Sad, greedy and the american way…

• Reelizz   June 9, 2013 at 4:51 pm

Its not the American way, its the human way. But anyway everyone has the very smart option of just not playing along with MS. Too many fat and lazy people are obsessed with wasting time on video games anyway.

11. mdg1019   June 9, 2013 at 4:29 pm

There’s really nothing new about this type of DRM strategy. The cable and satellite providers have controlled access to premium channels like this for decades. It’s just more corporate greed. Console systems are dinosaurs and both Microsoft and Sony are trying to bleed as much as they can from their respective systems. You’d have to be a moron to buy either of the new machines anyway.

12. Robert   June 9, 2013 at 4:25 pm

Michael Smith,

Blame them.

• terry   June 9, 2013 at 4:48 pm

MICROSOFT made the console. Not the publishers. Microsoft IS to blame for enabling draconian DRM, forcing an eye and microphone in your house, and forcing required internet. This is MS console, not publishers.

13. lolaaaman   June 9, 2013 at 4:21 pm

given the news of the last week, who still thinks that kinect cameras aren’t going to be the next government spying target? Maybe you don’t care, but you have to admit it’s a distinct probability.

14. Krugg   June 9, 2013 at 4:20 pm

I don’t always have access to the internet. Sometimes you just can’t pay that bill. It’s unfair to think that I would have to pay hundreds of dollars for a new system, most likely around 100 bucks for a game, and THEN I’m still not allowed to use it unless I’m online? I can’t take it where I want to? It’s a rip off. They make more than enough money. I’ve been buying games since the Atari 2600. I will never pay for something like this. It’s an insult to our intelligence.

• Michael Smith   June 9, 2013 at 4:23 pm

Agreed! Microsoft have seriously shot themselves in the foot with this one.

• Taylor   June 9, 2013 at 4:45 pm

Michael Smith,

Blame them.

• xiromisho   June 9, 2013 at 5:09 pm

Taylor I get what you’re trying to do but both parties are responsible.

15. Vanzippee   June 9, 2013 at 3:59 pm

For me the issue is more about privacy than DRM.

16. Chase Unfried   June 9, 2013 at 3:57 pm

Rampant Paranoia, but honestly, that used game check in system is terrible. Also, I bet your PC/Game console is connected to the internet the moment it starts up, so really the DRM isn’t a big deal, and I have no idea why you’re talking as if this is suddenly a new thing hooking up a game console to the internet. Fearmongering is all about.