Hollywood Game Night is a new hour-long game show series from Emmy Award-winning actor/producer Sean Hayes (“Will & Grace,” “Hot in Cleveland”), based on his real-life “game nights.” Each episode will feature A-list celebrities hanging out and living it up in a cocktail party atmosphere. Emmy and Golden Globe winner Jane Lynch (“Glee”) will serve as host.
In the series, two contestants in each episode will be transported from their everyday lives into a once-in-a-lifetime night of fun and celebration as they step beyond the velvet rope and rub shoulders with some of their favorite celebrities. Part Hollywood club and part casual game night, the series promises viewers a fresh look into the lives of the celebrity crowd.
At the end, one of the two contestants will walk away with a cash prize of $25,000 and a night of stories and memories for friends and family back home. Featuring well-known names from the world of television, film, sports and politics, among other entities, this isn’t a typical game show. Rather, it’s a peek behind the curtain of the Hollywood scene and a chance to hang out for a night with a group of your favorite celebrities.
Last Thursday’s episode was called “Saturday Night Live Reunion” because it featured as players many of SNL’s most popular past comedians playing the games. Maya Rudolph, Jason Sudeikis, Fred Armisen, Amy Poehler, Sean Hayes, and Dax Shepard were the celebrities taking part in the fun-filled party games.
The two contestants for this episode were Michael Machelokus (a director of business development from America, NY) whose team consisted of Amy Poehler, Fred Armisen & Dax Shephard; and Coco Jackson (a property manager from San Bernadino), who had for her team members Sean Hayes, Maya Rudolph & Jason Sudekis.
The first game they played was called “Celebrity Fusion.” Contestants and celebrities were asked to view a picture of two celebrities morphed together . They are then given up to two clues to guess who the celebrities are.
The first two photos were of Ricky Martin and Martin Lawrence, and only one clue had to be given — “She Bangs, She Bangs.” Coco got the two celebrities correct with just that one guess.
Eight celebrity fusions were guessed at in all by the players. The second fusion combined the faces of Chris Christie and actress/model, Christie Brinkley. The clues were New Jersey and “Uptown Girl.” Amy Poehler for Team Coco correctly identified the two morphed celebs.
One further example was the morphed photo of the faces of Keri Russell and Russell Brand. No clue was needed, though the first one would have been Get “Felicity” to the Greek Jason Sudeikis got these two celebrities correct.
The second game played on this episode was called “Timeline.” Michael had to arrange the covers of past People Sexiest Men Alive issues based on what year the person appeared on the covers. The final order was Denzel Washington (’96), Pierce Brosnan (’01), Ben Affleck (’02), Harrison Ford (’98), Matthew McConaughey (’05) & Matt Damon (’07)(5).
Maya Rudulph, on Team Coco, played a game called “Jennifer Aniston Photos.” She cleared the game in just half the allowed time.
For the game “Take a Hint,” which has no limit on the amount of clues that can be given, Coco got 9 right and Michael got 10. The results are below:
1. Las Vegas (CITY/SIN)- LAS VEGAS (16)(…GAMBLING SHOWGIRLS IN NEVADA)
2. Unicorn (HORN/ANIMAL/HORSE/MYSTICAL)- UNICORN (17)(…EUROPEAN MYTHOLOGY)
3. Playboy (HEFNER/BUNNY/MANSION)- HUGH (…PLAYMATES MAGAZINE TITLE)
4. Indiana Jones (HARRISON/FORD/WHIP/MOVIE)- INDIANA JONES (18)(…WESTERN CHARACTER)
5. Rice Krispies (TREAT/SNAP/CRACKLE/POP)- RICE KRISPIES(19)(…ARE MASCOTS)
6. Green Day (BAND/ROCK/PUNK/EYE/BILLY/JOEL/I DON’T KNOW)
7. “King Kong” (BIG/MONKEY/EMPIRE)- “KING KONG” (20)(…STATE BUILDING MOVIE)
8. iPhone (DEVICE/STEVE/JOBS)- APPLE (…INVENTED INCLUDES APPS)
9. Peter Pan (TINKERBELL)- TIME OVER (…FLEW TO NEVER NEVER LAND)
1. Spock (KIRK)- “STAR TREK” (…SAW HIS EARS AND COMPLEXION)
2. Eiffel Tower (FRANCE/PARIS/FAIR/TALL/STRUCTURE)-EIFFEL TOWER (6)(…LOVE)
3. Wonder Woman (INVISIBLE/LASSO/LYNDA)- WONDER WOMAN(7)(…CARTER COMIC SUPERHERO)
4. Hogwarts (HARRY/POTTER/SCHOOL)- HOGWARTS (8)(…WITCHCRAFT AND WIZARDRY)
5. Dentist (FILLING/DRILL/APPOINTMENT)- DENTIST (9)(…OFFICE ROOT CANAL)
6. Zombie (UNDEAD/SCARY/WALKING)- ZOMBIE (10)(…ANIMATED CORPSE/WITCHCRAFT)
7. Vanna White (“WHEEL”/”OF”/”FORTUNE”/FEMALE)- VANNA WHITE (11)(…REVEALS LETTERS)
8. “The Lion King” (SIMBA)- “THE LION KING” (12)(…MUFASA SARABI SCAR TIMON PUMBA)
9. eBaY (BID/TRADE/ONLINE)- E*TRADE (…”BUY IT NOW”)
10. Garfield (CARTOON/CAT/FAT/LASAGNA/PERSONAL/COMIC)-T.O.
These are cross-section photos of candy bars and the object of the game is to identify what each candy bar is in the game CBI: Candy Bar Investigation. Jason guessed Almond Joy correctly; Amy got Snickers right; Fred Armisen answered Reese’s Peanut Butter Cups correctly; nobody got Baby Ruth, Twix, 100 Grand, or 3 Musketeers correct; Michael answered Butterfinger correctly.
The last game they played was called HDYD?. Coco and her team answered 8 correctly, guessing the songs played. Michael and his team needed to answer 7 to win. The game went right down to the end, but Michael and his team won by answering 7 out of 7.
1. “Born to be Wild” (Sean)
2. “RESPECT” (Maya)
3. “La Bamba” (Sean)
4. “We Didn’t Start the Fire” (Jason)
5. “This Love” (Maya)
6. “Cum On Feel the Noize” by Slade (Maya)
7. “Every Little Thing She Does is Magic” (Jason)
8. “Life is a Highway” (Jason- Maya got that one)(52)
MICHAEL (seven to win):
1. “Y.M.C.A.” (Fred)
2. “American Pie” (Dax)
3. “Thriller” (Amy)
4. “Carry On, Wayward Son” by Kansas (Dax)
5. “Ain’t No Mountain High Enough” (Fred)
6. “We Will Rock You” (Dax)
7. “Just the Way You Are” (Amy)
Hollywood Game Night is produced by Hazy Mills Productions (NBC’s Grimm, Hot in Cleveland, Soul Man), Mission Control Media (Syfy’s Face Off), and Universal Television. Hayes, Todd Milliner, Michael Agbabian and Dwight D. Smith are executive producers.
Hollywood Game Night’s celebrity contestants will be different each episode. The games they play and their witty interplay with the host, Jane Lynch, and the two contestants (and each other) guarantee that the show will be a hit. Check out Hollywood Game Night next Thursday — it really is the funniest game show ever!
Written by: Douglas Cobb