O.J. Simpson’s Parole Granted on Part of Convictions

O.J. Simpson’s Parole Granted on Part of Convictions

O. J. Simpson is slowly chopping at the gates of freedom as he wins his first round of parole on parts of his 2008 convictions for kidnapping and armed robbery, which landed him in a Las Vegas prison with about a 33 year sentence.

Although Simpson has won a small victory, he will not see freedom anytime soon.  Simpson was convicted on multiple charges that were to run consecutively.  He still has at least four more years behind bars on the other charges.

According to the Nevada Board of Parole Commissioners, the decision in favor of parole was based on Simpson’s “positive institutional record” and his participation in programs addressing “behavior that led to incarceration.”

The board also acknowledge Simpson had no prior criminal record and even with their granting him parole on the present request, he still has other consecutive sentences to serve in this case.

While Simpson and his attorneys were happy with the outcome, he still has a ways to go before he is free.

“We expected it,” Patricia Palm, one of Simpson’s current lawyers, told the AP shortly after the order was issued. “There is no reason not to grant him parole. I’m glad they did what they should have done.”

“He’s very happy and grateful,” she said.

Now that Simpson has successfully won parole on part of these convictions, he can request parole in 2014 on the additional time added to his sentence because his accomplices were carrying guns.

If he were to win that one, he would still have others to address, but he could possibly be free by 2017.

While Simpson and his team celebrated, the Goldman’s released a statement with the Associated Press expressing their respect for the legal system but voicing their concern and that they now feel a “sense of vulnerability.”

“This is not our personal case against Simpson but since he’s been incarcerated there has been a reprieve and calm for us,” they said. “It is unsettling for our family to know that the person we believe responsible for Ron and Nicole’s murder could soon have his freedom.”

The Parole is effective on October 2, and at that point Simpson will begin serving time for the other four convictions.

Simpson was convicted in 2008 of multiple charges of kidnapping, robbery, burglary and assault with a deadly weapon.  He was sentenced from nine to 33 years for the convictions.

Simpson, now 66, expressed his regrets for his part in robbing the two memorabilia dealers, Alfred Beardsley and Bruce Fromong.  He also explained his logic behind his actions.  In his mind he was retrieving items that had been taken from him.  When he considered the time missed with his children, the items he was attempting to take back were not worth the price he has paid.

“I just wish I never went to that room,” Simpson said.

Simpson has won a small battle with the present parole request granted and it appears he may be on the road to freedom.

By: Veverly Edwards

Source 1

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.