The San Diego Chargers have lost wide receiver Malcom Floyd to a knee injury. They have to be growing accustomed to bad news, the Chargers lose their number one receiver just a week after they lost their number two receiver for the season after Danario Alexander tore his ACL in practice.
During a one-on-one drill in practice today, the Charger’s receiver suffered a knee injury as a result of a collision. Head coach Mike McCoy instantly realized that the injury was a serious one, calling for trainers immediately after the drill had ended. He was last seen being carted off of the practice field.
Floyd was taken to the hospital for an MRI on the knee after practice, and there is no word as of yet from the team as to whether or not the injury is as severe as team officials, players and fans alike fear.
Should the worst be true, Floyd would be the fourth Charger to suffer an ACL tear already this season. On top of Alexander, starting linebacker Melvin Ingram and back-up linebacker Jonas Mouton also were lost for the year to the devastating knee injury.
Malcom Floyd led the Chargers in both receptions (56), targets (84), and yards (814) last season while catching five touchdowns. Paired with the loss of Danario Alexander, San Diego now has to replace nearly 1,500 yards of production and 12 touchdowns. The two men were clearly their top threats in the passing game in 2012.
Phillip Rivers already struggled with both of his favorite receivers on the field last year, and if Floyd is unable to play he will have an even tougher time bouncing back with the men the Chargers have behind him on the depth chart.
Left behind Floyd and Alexander is an unproven group of talent. Robert Meachem is the most proven of any of the three top receivers, and he is far from a household name. Last year, his first with the team, he managed only 14 catches for 207 yards and two touchdowns.
Eddie Royal is probably still better fitted for a slot role rather than a true wideout position, regardless of the injuries. The return man has the shiftiness to make men miss, however he only mustered 234 yards and a touchdown a year ago.
The other man who figures to see more action due to the Chargers potentially losing Floyd is Vincent Brown. The third year pro has a lot of upside, however he is coming off an injury of his own that caused him to miss his entire sophomore season, and will have to show that he is back up to speed if he wants to break out this year.
Of course the San Diego Chargers are hoping that the MRI shows favorable results and Malcom Floyd is able to take the field sooner rather than later and avoid missing any significant time this year.
“I’m not saying we lost Malcom,” quarterback Philip Rivers said in an interview Monday.
Coach Mike McCoy told the press that “you never know in situations when guys go down like that. A lot of times, guys get scared. Everyone reacts different to it. I never had one of those injuries so I can’t tell you what it is or how it happened exactly on this one, or any that we’ve had this year. It’s just one of those deals.”
It certainly doesn’t look good for the Chargers after wide receiver Malcom Floyd was carted off the practice field Monday with a knee injury. The team is depending on an improved passing attack as it attempts to reclaim its spot atop the AFC West this season, however the injuries are piling up. It’s beginning to look like their backs are up against the wall before the NFL season even reaches week 1.
Follow me on Twitter @CharlieGille
Senior Sports Editor
The Guardian Express