New Study Clarifies Near-Death Experience Theory

No Longer a Myth

No Longer a MythResearchers have found that the near death experience that people have claimed for years especially following a major heart attack is not just a figment of their imagination. A team from the University of Michigan completed a study on nine rats after creating a similar experience.

Nearly 20 percent of people have reportedly shared the same experience after surviving a heart attack. They all reported having inner visions with keen perception, simply known as a near-death experience.

Such experiences have been aptly referred to as near-death because it happens when someone is close to dying. With the heart being the main life giving organ in the body it pays to reason that one wouldn’t feel much closer to death than when it stops beating.

Near death experiences are often accompanied with many possible sensations such as feeling detached from the body, warm and serene, seeing bright lights, hallucinations and an overwhelming feeling of euphoria.

For many years the validity of these experiences has been debated from scientific point of view.

According to recent studies by a research team in Michigan it has been proven that the brain remains conscious after the heart has conked out. Studies show that it may even function higher during the seconds immediately after a heart attack than it does normally.

The study which was published on Monday included nine rats. The team found that after each rat’s heart stopped beating and blood flow stopped their brain activity continued. Even though they only tested a small number of rats, the observed results in all of them were the same.

Even though the team predicted that their findings would lean toward the theory being valid they didn’t expect to find such great levels of activity within the brain immediately following cardiac arrest.

Many people, even within the medical field, assumed the brain was not very active during a heart attack because of the lack of oxygen. However, this study has proved different revelation.

Today there are greater reports of near-death experiences partly due to that advancement in medicine. As knowledge continues to increase doctors now know more now than they did in the past; in turn allowing more people to be revived after a near-death experience. Not to mention with the advancement of the internet people are more willing to share their experiences without judgment.

Not everyone who comes close to death has an identifiable near-death experience. No one knows exactly why some do and others do not. As of today there aren’t any notable determining factors that would cause one person to have a near-death experience while another does not.
A near-death experience is not a result of nor does it indicate a mental disorder. It does seem to how lasting and powerful effects on people. While some may brush it off as just an experience others spend years trying to find a way to integrate it into their survival period.

Many people who haven’t shared this type of experience tend to compare it to that of a dream. However, the effects of a near-death experience are very different from that of dreams. At some point in life everyone dreams; some wake up with a clear memory of them while others can’t readily explain their dream. People who experience a near-death experience have no problem clarifying their experience.

This is the first time that a study like this has been performed. In lieu of the results it’s undoubtedly the first of many. The first study of this magnitude was with rats but the results will lead to further studies dealing with the human brain in like instances.

The way that people relate to their near-death experience will often vary but one thing that has just been founded is that it’s not just a figment of one’s imagination. Researchers at the University of Michigan have dispelled that myth.

By: Cherese Jackson (Virginia)

Source:

9 Responses to "New Study Clarifies Near-Death Experience Theory"

1. lisa   December 25, 2013 at 3:43 pm

Read this last paragraph again…it is NOT a figment of the imagination! …researchers disprove that myth.

2. Zachsmom   August 13, 2013 at 10:27 pm

Thecrud…..how does this prove it’s just imagination? It proves there is activity going on and the brain is experiencing this, but it does not mean what is being experienced is imagination. It could just as likely be a spiritual experience and the brain is responding. Let’s say the soul is still in the body at this point. I watched a show where a teen in a crash had died. The rescuers had to move him to revive him. It was quite sometime before they revived him, but this kid suddenly remembered floating above his body and looking down at the emt’s working on his body. In other words, he did not leave his body at the moment of death, but much later. He did not experience the tunnel and light, just the actual witnessing of his revival. What he said he witnessed was verified. We just don’t know enough at this point

3. Tom Brown   August 13, 2013 at 6:12 pm

Who are any of us to judge! Your quest for an answer to everything is fruitless!

4. Tom Brown   August 13, 2013 at 6:04 pm

I guess Cherese re-reported this story. It is very interesting but Cherese you, like many others today need an editor.

5. Luis Vega   August 13, 2013 at 5:22 pm

I did not see God mentioned anywhere in this article. You must be one of those paranoic religious fanatics.

6. nannette burnett   August 13, 2013 at 5:18 pm

I had died . i knew that i did! the last recollection was when I heard the OB surgeon calling for Code Blue and intubating me.It was dark thenI saw the glimpse of a priest who was closed to me and my uncle who died too begging me to take their hands to go thru the light . I asked for the light and light was shone on me. when i reached the magnificent
    gate of white clouds and smelled the scent of gardenia and heard the angelic choir that
    I felt like staying! The equanimity, tranquility and peaceful ,euphoric environment that was
    presented to me by a huge like figure of an old man in white robe welcoming me to my new home. However I asked this old man where I was and he told me that i should enjoy my new home because i deserved it. No pain, no problems no misery! however i remember my 3 year. old child and my husband who i left behind crying on my bedside and I begged this kind holy man to please send me back to where I came from because of
    my family. he asked me gently if I really wanted to return back home and warned me of the consequences of my decision. I opened my eyes in front of my family and friends and my child who jumped on my abdomen (post surgery due to ectopic pregnancy) for joy.

I believe that there is life after our earthly life. This is a journey to our eternal life with our Creator.. i am not a religious type of person, though I believe in the Creator, the redeemer, and the Sanctifying Spirit. How we live on earth depends entirely where we go from here…..

7. thecrud   August 13, 2013 at 5:11 pm

The study actually proved it is a figment of imagination. It is very logical that the brain would go nuts as it dies.

8. chauffeur10   August 13, 2013 at 5:06 pm

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHA….
    You scientist types crack me up! Amazing how far you’ll go in attempting to prove there is no God! HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA…..

• Tim   August 13, 2013 at 5:16 pm

You are an idiot but you will never realized that