Chicago: Four Offenders Charged in Back of the Yards Shooting

Chicago: Four Offenders Charged in Back of the Yards Shooting

UPDATE: Four Offenders Charged in Back of the Yards Shooting Man Who Fired Military-grade Weapon Has Been Charged

CHICAGO – Chicago Police Superintendent Garry F. McCarthy announced today that charges have been filed against four offenders in connection with a shooting last Thursday in the Back of the Yards neighborhood. Those charged now include two shooters, including the man who fired the military-grade weapon, and two participants, including the man who supplied the military-grade weapon. Aspects of the investigation remain ongoing.

“Our officers and our detectives have worked tirelessly in partnership with the community, to solve this case and hold the criminals who committed this senseless act of violence responsible for their actions,” said Superintendent McCarthy. “Today we bring four criminals to justice for their roles in the shooting of 13 people.”

All four offenders were charged with three counts of Attempt Murder and Aggravated Battery with a Firearm:
· Tabari Young, 22, the offender who fired the military-grade weapon. His record includes more than a dozen arrests.
· Bryon Champ, 21, who also fired a gun during the shooting.
· Kewane Gatewood, 20, who supplied the military-grade weapon used.
· Brad Jett, 22, who participated as a lookout during the shooting. He is a convicted felon.

Offender Bryon Champ is a convicted felon and documented gang member. He was previously convicted of UUW by a Felon in July 2012 and was sentenced to Boot Camp at the Cook County Department of Corrections. Superintendent McCarthy again called for a three-year mandatory minimum sentence for illegal gun possession and truth in sentencing for gun crimes in Illinois.

“Not only do we believe a military-grade weapon was used in this shooting, but one of the offenders charged last night was convicted of Aggravated Unlawful Use of a Weapon/Possession of a firearm by a Felon a little more than a year ago,” said Superintendent McCarthy. “He received boot camp for that gun crime and was back out on the streets to be a part of this senseless shooting. That is unacceptable. To truly address violence for the long-term we need state and federal laws that keep illegal guns out of our communities and provide real punishment for the criminals who use them.”

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.