You don’t have to be a boxing aficionado to know that Floyd ‘Money’ Mayweather Jr. and Canelo Alvarez fought tonight at the MGM Grand Garden Arena in Las Vegas. The spectacular bout is said to have grossed upwards of $136 million, with Money Mayweather’s purse netting between $41.5 and $100 million. Let me repeat that, between $41.5 and $100 million. Alvarez, on the other hand, is reportedly earning over $5 million. Not too shabby either. But whether its’ $5 or $100 million, someone’s getting an _$$ kicking tonight.
Leonard Ellerbe, CEO of Mayweather Promotions, made the following statement to Yahoo, “Listen, if this fight goes through the roof, Floyd Mayweather could make $100 million in this fight as sure as we’re standing here talking.”
Can you imagine making that type of money for a few hours…for one night; to either give, or take, your whipping like a man? Maybe for us, it would be a major problem, but not for the golden boy (man) of the boxing world. And undoubtedly, Mayweather is that.
Although only 37, ‘Money’ Mayweather, is one of the highest paid athletes in the world; hence the name ‘Money.’ Between 2006 and 2007 Mayweather’s salary jumped from $8 million to $25 million. And although it fluctuated between 2007 and 2009, by 2010, with his fight against Sugar Shane Mosley, Mayweather’s earnings jumped again. Since then, he’s been on top, with earnings reportedly of almost $333 million during his boxing career.
Floyd’s Career Earnings:
- Carlos Baldomir November 4, 2006 – $8 million
- Oscar De La Hoya May 5, 2007 – $25 million
- Ricky Hatton December 8, 2007 – $25 million
- World Wrestling Entertainment Appearance – $20 million
- Juan Manuel Márquez September 19, 2009 – $25 million
- Sugar Shane Mosley May 14th, 2010 – $30 million
- Victor Ortiz September 17th, 2011 – $40 million
- Miguel Cotto May 5, 2012 – $40 million
- Robert Guerrero May4, 2013 – $50 million
- Saul Alvarez September 14, 2013 – $50 million
- Floyd Mayweather’s Total Career Earnings: $333 million
After viewing Mayweather’s fighting and financial history, a thought came to mind. At the end of tonight’s fight, one or both, of the opponents will emerge and smile for the camera. We’ll see swollen eyes or swollen lips; maybe even a bloody nose or missing tooth. But remember this, ‘they got paid’ to get the _$$ kicking that most of us either give, or get, for free.
Well the fight is over, so perhaps you already know that Canelo Alvarez received a Money Mayweather _$$ kicking. Mayweather won by a majority decision.
Written By DeBorah Heggs-Alston