Pope Francis has been getting a lot of attention of late because of what some would classify as his rather liberal outlook on Catholic morality issues such as gays, women’s reproductive rights and the role of women in the church. He has said previously that it is not his place to judge gays, and most recently asserted that the Catholic Church needs to stop obsessing over such issues and forcing church doctrine on people. He says such issues are “small minded” and that there are much more important things to attend to within the church.
You may have heard of Pope Francis’ attitudes on these issues, but what a lot of people don’t know is that the pontiff is an avid social media user who routinely takes to Twitter to share words of wisdom with his followers. Let’s take a look at Pope Francis’ top ten Tweets which can be enjoyed by Catholics, Atheists and those of any religious or non-religious persuasion:
1. “All men and women of good will are bound by the task of pursuing peace”: This is pretty much true for everyone, whether they are Catholic or not.
2. “My thoughts turn to all who are unemployed, often as a result of a self-centered mindset bent on profit at any cost.”: This is so true! Corporate greed is often at the root of many problems, including unemployment. He seems to be a pope with his finger on the pulse of the real world.
3. “How marvelous it would be if, at the end of the day, each of us could say: today I have performed an act of charity towards others!”: Absolutely! This is excellent advice no matter what religion (or lack thereof) informs our daily activities.
4. “Seeking happiness in material things is a sure way of being unhappy.”: True dat!!!
5. “We want in our society, torn apart by divisions and conflict, that peace break out!”: It would be difficult to find anyone who disagrees with this one.
6. “How much suffering, how much devastation, how much pain has the use of arms carried in its wake.”: Absolutely.
7. “War never again! Never again war!”: Pope Francis sounds like he’s about to get arrested for civil disobedience.
8. “We cannot sleep peacefully while babies are dying of hunger and the elderly are without medical assistance.”: It’s called civil rights and the fight for justice, y’all!
9. “We are all jars of clay, fragile and poor, yet we carry within us an immense treasure.”: This is one deep Pope!
10. “What an unforgettable welcome in Copacabana!”: WHOO HOO! It’s the hottest spot North of Havana!!! Not only is he liberal on social issues, Pope Francis is also, apparently, a partying bada**.
But in all seriousness, this Pope is really into peace, helping the poor and social justice issues. In fact, the argument could even be made that he’s for gay rights. Well, at least he’s more for gay rights than any Popes who have gone before him. In any case, he’s making major inroads and breaking new ground with believers and even non-believers. He’s more progressive than any previous Pope and even more so than many priests.
Pope Francis’ top ten tweets show that he’s more in step with modern times than his predecessors. His words of wisdom are sure to do incredible things for the Catholic Church and even non-believers might find some inspiration in his words.
By: Rebecca Savastio