Samsung Galaxy Gear Smartwatch Specs and Review [Video]
September 25 is the day consumers can hit retailers for the Galaxy Gear smartwatch. This watch will be able to sync with the Galaxy Note 3 and the Galaxy Note 10.1 tablet; meaning if a consumer doesn’t already own one of those two devices, the watch is useless, which is the case for millions of consumers. Buyers don’t want to be coerced into a package buy to enjoy the benefits of one product. At the IFA event, it seemed the audience wasn’t quite enraptured, either. The specs, nevertheless are pretty neat:
The build of the Galaxy Gear is appealing; the 2-megapixel is actually pretty sharp. The syncing aspect is very simple as displayed in the video. The Galaxy Note 3 is like a remote control which allows users to the change settings on the Galaxy Gear. Now, let’s move onto the more important aspects of the new device.
Galaxy Gear Specs and More
- 1.6-inch Super AMOLED display with 320×320 resolution.
- 2-megapixel camera with a recorder and auto-focus lens. The recorder is a max of 10 seconds.
- 4GB of internal memory with 512 MB of RAM (this is pretty impressive.)
- The battery, per Samsung, will be able to last up to 25 hours.
- With the S Voice feature, users will be able to place/receive calls, text messages, manage calendar events, create voice memos, set wake-up alarms and even check the weather.
- The Find My Device feature will also be the on Galaxy Gear which is a great tool for many customers. When lost, an alert can be sent to make it beep, light up or vibrate.
- Over 70 apps will be available for the Galaxy Gear.
- Funky and colorful options await the buyer such as Oatmeal Beige, Rose Gold, Lime Green and more.
- The phone is due to cost $299 (which is jaw dropping, considering it is a companion device.)
Samsung Cornered Apple, Mirrors Windows
Samsung out-beat its competitor Apple on releasing the enhanced watch. The iWatch was delayed due to engineering issues, and currently Apple has not given any indication thus far on the release date of the device. The Galaxy Watch is a fantastic gift idea for someone who already owns the tablet and Note 3. Sales are expected to take off for the dual gift purchase.
The tiles on the Galaxy Gear seem reminiscent of another mobile manufacturer. The white font, larger than life tiles and colors are effectively seen on Windows phones. Nokia/Windows phones are notorious for colors like Lime Green, Blue, Yellow and more, whereas Samsung has always remained more conservative on color choices. The Galaxy Gear seems a cry away from the norm.
Will Consumers Buy?
The initial response was lukewarm at the IFA event. It does leave many to wonder what the market will be for the smartwatch. The new wearable device will be released before Google Glass. This a great intro for the industry- granted Sony has announced their Sony SmartWatch 2 which is also ready for release later this month.
Upon the release of both of these devices, it will be interesting to see how they match up. Opinions and thoughts will be ongoing when it comes to the newest Galaxy Gear smartwatch as specs are measured and the audience for the device discovers if there is more to it than what meets the eye.