Temper Tantrums for Uncle Sam

Temper Tantrums for Uncle Sam
After reading the first line of Christopher Bedford’s attack on Democrats from the Daily Caller article, Creepy Uncle Sam is the best political mascot since normal Uncle Sam; my immediate reaction was to shout expletives at him. As I continued reading, however, I was shocked at how accurate his article truly was. “The left is having a temper tantrum,” he says, regarding the New Opt Out of Obamacare/ Creepy Uncle Sam commercials hitting televisions all across America. Since I had not seen any of these commercials and clearly had no idea who the Creepy Uncle Sam fellow was, I clicked play on the video. I was certain I would be outraged since I am a staunch Liberal, a vehement supporter of our president, and an excited defender of Universal Healthcare. However, by the end of the commercial, I noticed two things happening. 1) I was audibly laughing, and 2) I heard the voice in my head say “good for them.”

Before you make a hurried judgment about my loyalties or credibility, just finish reading; and open your mind, after all, we are the progressive ones…

I believe each person has the right to state his or her opinions as loudly or as dramatically as they want or need. While I am off strategically fighting for marriage equality and women’s rights, I am not disregarding all the other American birthrights; one of my favorite rights in this country is freedom of speech. Luckily, as an outspoken opinionated writer, I have that right but it is not just for me. Simply because I do not agree with you does not mean your rights are meaningless. Bring your game; just play in a way that grabs my attention and lets me truly see your side. Make it interesting, I say. The normal humdrum opinion coming from the right is just that- boring and unimpressive, and most of the time laced with the mild flavor of hate. So, imagine how relieved I was to see an advertisement that not only held my attention, but also made me laugh aloud! I assure you I was just as shocked as you are once I was aware of what was happening with my body and mind. After reviewing my thoughts, though, it became very clear. Intelligent humor wins! No, I am not going to opt out of Obamacare, and I am not going to share the commercial on my social media walls, but I am going to silently golf clap for the generally tightly-wound crew responsible for this marketing ploy.

What I want to say to my temper-tantrum-throwing allies is this: Get over it! Those opposing Healthcare reform have every right to oppose it. Those that feel the government is…well, sticking it to them, have every right to feel that way and express it any way they choose. Who knew the stuffy ones could ever send out such a risqué well-executed commercial for the world to enjoy? I certainly did not, and for that, I applaud them. Well played, Conservatives- well played.

Written By: Amy Magness Whatley

9 Responses to "Temper Tantrums for Uncle Sam"

1. Randy   September 21, 2013 at 10:16 am

Wabbit is quoting Bill Maher! 1st of all he is a comedian…in it for the laugh and not for a solution. 2nd of all he is one of the most hateful people on earth. He spews vitriolic rhetoric, refuses to listen (or god forbid even consider) rational arguments, and though he claims to believe in freedom of speech and ideas, he lambasts and tries to squelch any voice which rises in opposition to his views.

Crawl back into your hole you silly little wabbit!

2. claudia   September 21, 2013 at 7:35 am

Well i believe that everyone should have the choice to either have insurance or not. People should not be forced to purchase something that you don’t want. What about peoples rights, freedom of speech, freedom of choosing whatever is best for and your family what if I believe in Holistic medicine??? If that’s the case is under my constitutional right to choose what I want. This is ludicrous I hope the Republicans put and end to this….

• Neal Martin   September 21, 2013 at 7:42 am

Just to play devil’s advocate, your not having health insurance is driving up the costs of premiums and the cost of health care. What makes you think you have that right?

3. Dale E. Moore   September 21, 2013 at 6:42 am

Thank goodness someone is doing something about our unaffordable healthcare system. I just wish those great big Republican minds would try to help too. Throwing the baby out with the bath water is not helping. Stop running on CRUZcontrol, engage your conservative brain and help make healthcare affordable universally.

4. disky   September 21, 2013 at 5:41 am

Wabbit is funny, since he’s doing exactly what he accuses his opposition of doing, in an endless house of mirrors kind of way.

5. theJoe   September 21, 2013 at 5:39 am

It looked like a Democrat add as it is and was the Republicans forcing women to be probed. Seems the only people in office that wants in your bedroom and doctors office is the GOP.

6. Kevin   September 21, 2013 at 5:35 am

Awesome Ms. Whatley. Just Awesome!
    I couldn’t agree more, and it is so refreshing to see a voice of reason come from either side of any debate.
    So often today, difficult issues are immediately polarized into us/them camps, and intelligent discourse is tossed aside for the sake of ideology (which may or may not even apply to the subject at hand!)
    Bravo for being brave and smart enough to express a civilized opinion about a very divisive topic. Hopefully other’s will listen to your reason and also honor and support the 1st Amendment rights of everyone else in this once great land.

7. Wabbit   September 21, 2013 at 5:32 am

As Bill Maher pointed out, it’s ironic that the party of the trans-vaginal ultrasound is accusing Democrats of wanting control of women’s vaginas. It’s purely a case of accusing the opposition of what they are already actually doing.

• Graham Noble   September 21, 2013 at 11:48 am

You are referring to Bill Maher, the pretend-comedian and famous misogynist?….and you’re citing him as an authority on women’s rights? Very amusing; 10 out of 10 for humor!

If we’re going to have a REAL debate about women’s rights, we need to have an honest discussion about why the Progressive Left strongly supports Islamist fundamentalists, such as the Muslim Brotherhood, who openly advance the practice of Sharia, which strips women of practically EVERY human right.

The fact is, the Democratic Party cares no more about women’s rights than it does about the rights of mosquitoes; to Democrats, women are just another voting block that they think they can retain with the propaganda of fear…just like the LGBT community, the black community and the Hispanic community.