Demi Lovato and Paulina Rubio Are Hurting the Ratings of The X Factor

simon-cowell-600

Demi Lovato and Paulina Rubio’s controversial decisions are hurting the ratings of The X Factor. Many viewers who were unhappy with Demi’s decision last week to send home Ashly Williams, and said they would boycott the show unless Ashly was brought back. Some people hinted that Demi might not like black people. Then, Paulina Rubio followed this up with a very controversial move on October 9 when she at first decided to send home Tim Olstad, but heard the audience booing, so had him brought back after the break.

Paulina felt she owed an apology to Olstad, and asked him to rejoin her team. He did, but looked still kind of ticked off. She sent home Stone Martin, instead. If it’s true she screwed up by choosing to send home Tim Olstad, she compounded her mistake by sending home someone else who had thought he was safe.

Unfortunately, being a coach, mentor, or judge on The X Factor (whichever one you would like to call them) means that probably all of your decisions will be looked upon with scrutiny, and there will be at least some people who disagree with whatever decision you make.

Paulina may have been hurting her team by at first saying she’d send home Tim Olstad. Maybe it will end up helping her team by bringing him back — he’s a great singer, and I will look forward to seeing him sing on future episodes.

But, the other people Paulina had supposedly “saved” then were suddenly open to being sent home, and Paulina played with their emotions. She was stuck sending one of them home, and they were all people she had said were safe, especially by sending Tim Olstad home.

Demi Lovato on the other hand, chose Ashly Williams to be on her team, and then she put Ashley in one of the four chairs when it was Demi’s turn to choose four of her team members to remain. Demi, like the other coaches, could replace any of the team members in the chairs if they thought someone else performed better.

Demi must have felt someone else sang better, because she sent Ashly home. This was after Ashly had made it to the Four-Chair Challenge Round by giving an awesome audition, where she sang I Will Always Love You and did it  justice.

Many of the people who commented on how bad it was for Demi to have sent home Ashly mentioned that Williams had given an incredible audition performance, prompting the coaches to cry, and Simon to say “This is why we brought the show to America.” Demi told Ashly then that she wanted to mentor her, which likely got Ashley’s hopes up even more.

Demi has been accused by some of the people who left me comments as not liking black girls, and one person even thought that the fix was in, and that when Simon said something about it being time for a group to win, he was giving away some sort of game plan for how the season would play out.

I don’t think that Demi is racist in the least –that’s my personal opinion — as she complimented Ashly’s audition as much as the other coaches did, if not more, and she kept Ashly when the numbers of competitors were whittled down to ten on each team. She also put Ashly in one of the four chairs, when she could have sent her home.While you might not nor agree with Demi’s decision, I doubt that she was racially motivated to make it, or that she has a racist bone in her body.

Both Demi and Paulina made a couple of decisions that might adversely affect their chances at winning with their teams. But, to whittle any team of great singers down to ten is likely to cause all of the judges to make some decisions that they’ll later regret, including Simon and Kelly.

The rating for The X Factor were hurt, whether because of the boycott or some other set of reasons. The were at their lowest ever, just a little more than 6 million viewers watching, down 12=14 percent.

What are your thoughts? Please leave your comments below!

Written by: Douglas Cobb

50 Responses to "Demi Lovato and Paulina Rubio Are Hurting the Ratings of The X Factor"

1. Toni   August 20, 2014 at 11:46 am

Well I think the judges lost out on a great singer and person as well when she sung I will always love you that song alone should have won her the top spot..I think she was the best of the best of the best I’ve ever heard on that show period what a shame I hope she goes on to be what her dreams are.. Ashly dont let anyone stand in your way you were amazing ,

2. Dr. Idalmis Garcia   July 7, 2014 at 4:45 pm

It is a Shake that Ashley was sent home, I pray that somehow she is given a chance at some point by someone to make it in the business she has a beautiful voice.

3. Pat Vance   January 3, 2014 at 11:56 am

Demi needs to go. She is an inconsiderate moron and never shuts up. She is not the talent people want to see judging a show like this. She is a teeny bopper. Paulina could go too, although she at least is mature enough to have a valid opinion. The favoritism towards Latinas is evident as the nose on your face though.

4. Sharon   December 28, 2013 at 12:26 am

Ashly is just too good. “I Will Always Love You” is up there with Whitney Houston’s version. The tears were streaming down my face. I don’t care what the judges heard afterwards, that one song should have kept her there. Cream always rises to the top and so will Ashly.

5. ershell   December 15, 2013 at 12:11 pm

They certainly got rid of some of the best talent right from the start and Ashley was one of them. She has an amazing voice and one that is certainly better than Paulina, Demi, and Kelly’s all rolled into one. The funny thing about the “mentor” thing is that all the contestants, and those who tried out for the show, are all more talented than the judges! How can they be called “mentors’ when they themselves are talentless? Little Rion should have been one of the finalist and they let her go? How is that? And Carlito stayed? UM? Can anyone say FIXED? Come on! He should not have even been in the top 20! The girls on the panel are catty and jealous and unfair. They have been down right nasty to Sierra who can sing circles around them!
    The show needs a judging panel that can be respected and that knows what they are doing!

6. Nancy Gorben   December 5, 2013 at 7:44 am

I think other then Simon, the judging panel stinks and needs to be replaced! ALL 3 of them!! Especially PAULINA, she is just annoying and has nothing constructive at all to say!!!!! There are so many OTHER talented stars to get to judge, what is wrong with them there at the X Factor?

7. anonymous   December 1, 2013 at 5:45 am

Ageist? Racist? It’s kind of ridiculous. Because someone who is sent home happens to be black or a certain age, oh it’s discrimination. There’s absolutely no evidence to support it, but it’s discrimination. Not really too smart…You forget the point of the show, Ashley might have been wonderful, but it was about whether or not she could progress in the show. The reason Dani got cut was because she was the least likely to be able to progress. In the four chair challenge, when someone is let in, it’s a no brainer that someone good is gonna be let go of, but you can’t look at it one-dimensionally. Simon Cowell doesn’t sign just singers, he signs people who he thinks will have commercial success, whether they actually do or not. It’s about that potential

• bigjelliesryummy   December 1, 2013 at 7:21 am

i agree, its not like demi is racist or something. Maybe she just thinks that Rion Paige’s voice is more special than hers and maybe she didn’t let other people in the 4 chairs go because she also thinks that their skills or stuff are better than her. Stop saying shes racist. Just because she sent a black person home, it doesn’t mean she is. I also really love Ashley but its her decision to make. So it means that if there was this really annoying person in school and you hate him but at the same time he is black it means your racist? NO! Its just because he’s being annoying so you hate the person! If Demi Lovato is racist, then explain how she had Paige Thomas in her group last year. She even made it far enough to prove that Demi was not racist. She also had a hard time choosing between Jennel and Paige and who will win on singing for survival. That also proves that she not racist because if she was racist she would’ve chose Jennel a long time ago. So those people who thinks that Demi is racist, think twice before saying that.

• Hane   December 1, 2013 at 12:30 pm

I dont believe it is a race issue. I believe it is a lack of ability to recognize raw talent. Demi and paulina are not talented or skilled as performers or as judges of talent to be on that panel. Paulina is incoherent most of the time and is really out of her element. She is a laughable autotuned celebrity. They need howard stern there. At least he provides sound and useable feedback. Kelly is there because of her relationship to beyonce. I cannot understand why they are the judges. The candidate pool must have been very low in casting for judges. Simon is no longer commanding the attention he once did. Poor decision on his part to cast them. Having said that though, i think people are still watching out of disbelief and not enjoyment

8. Cherry   November 30, 2013 at 10:17 pm

I strongly believed Demi should not send home Ashley Williams. And she should not be mentor of Ashley. It should be either Simon or Kelly. I feel very upset for Ashley that she was with wrong mentor.

9. Ann   November 29, 2013 at 9:26 pm

I don’t think Demi is racist, I think Paulina is.

10. Lisa   November 28, 2013 at 7:22 pm

Read all comments on ashley

11. janet   November 28, 2013 at 6:32 pm

I am dissapointed in simmon’s decission for letting the public decide and letting josh levi go. I am not watching anymore.

12. Chris Allan   November 24, 2013 at 5:15 pm

I was absolutely captivated by Ashley Williams singing I will always love you.Icouldn’t wait
    To hear her in the live show or buy her first album. She was told by Demi ‘I would like to
    mentor you ! A standing ovation from the judges ! Then they all betrayed her and sent her
    home.I keep her audition on my recorder and play it often. My son was also very impressed and disappointed . It has ruined the show for us , there is no one in the competition who sings from the heart like Ashley ,or who will be remembered forever for that amazing first audition. Good luck Ashley for the future you are definitely a star in the making and hopefully we will hear your beautiful voice again soon .

13. Jeff   November 21, 2013 at 9:05 am

Paulina is very annoying; EVERYONE is great, incredible, moving, etc. She tries to make some dramatic statement about EVERY performance; she is a MUCH more annoying version of Paula Abdul; at least Paula seemed sincere; Paulina is just BAD.

14. Dettie   November 18, 2013 at 11:49 pm

Bring Ashly back if you want us to continue watching the show. She was awesome and I think Demi made a very big mistake. She is the only one who received a standing ovation from the four judges. Give her a chance and Demi if you want to win this show, please listen

15. Frederick   November 15, 2013 at 1:47 am

Ashly Williams was awesome, i was shocked and pissed when she was sent home…could care less about the show now…don’t even watch anymore. And the judges are so full of it. One week they say “this is the reason I brought the show to America, because of someone like you”, the next week “You’re singing just didn’t sound good – bu bye” — so inconsistent!

16. Ernie Brooks   November 13, 2013 at 7:51 pm

I agree don’t even want to watch the show …Simon is to smart to sit back and let Demi do something so stupid as sending Ashley home…I think he will bring her back …but we will have to wait and see?

17. Tab Wilburn   November 11, 2013 at 5:23 pm

In not sure if demi is racist but ther is a big problem. I stopped watching after they sent Ashley home even if they thought her securitynd performsrmance was bad (which it wasn’t) her first should have seen her through the live rounds. I really liked that show but I’m over it now. I am still trying to figure out WHO IN THE HELL IS SMI LAVQTO!!1!!!?????

18. Melissa   November 11, 2013 at 6:12 am

Ashley needs to be brought back! The show will see hits if they take away our favorite!

19. Ric   November 6, 2013 at 2:54 pm

I think Demi and Paulina should be send home !!!

• debbie   December 5, 2013 at 5:36 am

i really like demi, but paulina is just sooo uncomfortable with watching her comments. i hope she NEVER returns to xfactor!

20. Dorothy Nwankwo   November 3, 2013 at 8:25 am

Bring Ashley Back!!!!!!! I lost faith in XFactor by the silly decision. Demi Livato is a mistake to the show. The show now lacks Mature people because of Simon’s ego.

21. Rose   November 1, 2013 at 7:11 am

maybe not racist but ageist. All the girls are young. And all younger than Demi. I think that’s what it was about. Ashly is older than Demi. I’m very disappointed and feel Ashly was played (used for show promotion). Ashly should reap the profits from those video commercial sales of all the viewers on Youtube. I hope she at least earned something for her feature.

22. Quana   November 1, 2013 at 12:38 am

I feel Demi is a racist… (There are other reasons to conclude this) Ashly should have never been sent home she has more talent, a better voice that any one on the girls team. The show lost my view and many others i know… The 25 and over category has all the best talent. Lillie Allen, Jeff Gutt

23. Cashmeir   October 30, 2013 at 11:24 pm

I feel that Demi made a grave mistake by sending Ashley home her voice broke me down it sounded as if I was listening to an angel. Now I’m done with X factor and I will personally tweet, Instagram, and Facebook about X factor this year and tell others not to watch it because the judges (Demi) in particular are on bull!! So disappointed in the judges and the show period!!

24. Barbara Harris   October 29, 2013 at 9:49 pm

ashly should have never been let go..demi is an idiot

25. Joaniejaye   October 29, 2013 at 6:37 pm

I came to watch XFactor and just now realized that Ashly Williams was sent home. Please tell her to try “The Voice”. I will watch her over there.

26. sam   October 25, 2013 at 10:45 pm

I CRIED WHEN ASHLEY SANG. SHE WAS PHENOMENAL!!! PAULINA SUCKS. SHE IS AN AUTO TUNE PERFORMER AND IS NOT QUALIFIED TO BE A JUDGE. WHY OH WHY WAS SHE CHOSEN. WAS THE CANDIDATE POOL THAT BAD? AS FOR DEMI-WILL SOMEONE PLEASE PLEASE GET HER OFF THE SHOW. I AM DISAPPOINTED IN SIMON. HE IS A GREAT JUDGE OF TALENT WHEN THEY ARE IN FRONT OF HIm ON STAGE. HE NEEDS TO TURN TO HIS RIGHT SIDE AND SEND THOSE TWO HOME

27. Jean Marie   October 24, 2013 at 9:56 am

Bring Ashly Williams back! None of the other finalists could begin to sing “I Will Always Love You” the way Ashley did!!! I have lost respect for and interest in the ability of the judges on the x factor, except for Simon. But why did Simon just sit there when Demi let Ashly go? Didn’t he say that the x factor was looking for people like her??? What gives?! Big mistake! I will not watch on the 29th! I have lost confidence in the judge’s ability to pick winners! Better bring Ashly back,. X factor’s best are Ashly and Lillie McCloud. The rest are mostly children with their whole futures still ahead. This was to be Ashly’s life’s opportunity! Oh well! Jennifer Hudson went on to greatness and so will Ashly! Shame on you, x factor!

28. Bianca   October 21, 2013 at 8:15 pm

CARRY BACK ASHLEY ARE IT WILL BE A PROTEST!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! #OUTRAGED

29. Fiona   October 21, 2013 at 1:32 am

There were only two auditions I remembered and that was Ashly Williams and a group of 3 brothers whose dancing & singing was wonderful & I was so looking forward to seeing them perform again but they didn’t make it through to the 2nd round. When Ashly went I couldn’t believe it. Where are the judges coming from??!!

30. Nduduzo Khumalo (@Rich_Mtungwa)   October 19, 2013 at 3:04 pm

I sorry but I thought Simon will bring back Ashley Williams I don’t care what other say but lady can sing, in South Africa we watching our South African Idols now. Demi needs to apologise to the world for sending Ashley Williams home and X factor will never be the same without her. Although I doubt Demi is a resist. South Africa loves you Ashley.

31. Dennis   October 19, 2013 at 10:01 am

I quit watching the show because of Demi! Also I think they made a bad decision with adding the 2 new judges. I think Simon needs to get rid of all 3 immediately. I am watching the voice now and much happier. X Factor needs to let America have a bigger say so. They made a bad decision changing the show this year. I think Idol is in the same boat….

32. candy   October 18, 2013 at 8:03 am

Demi made a mistake sending Ashley home. She hurt her team by doing so I still watch the show but not as much as I would’ve if Ashley was still there.

33. @ You are dumb   October 17, 2013 at 9:28 am

No YOU are dumb. Viewership and ratings has been going down slightly each week, which is normal for about every show considering the premiere is usually the highest rated episode. This is also the case with The Voice and Idol, but The Voice is the only singing show to GAIN ratings each season on average. X Factor is pretty much DOA after this season and Idol has been replaced by The Voice as the dominant format.

So the writer is right, ratings have been going down and will only go down further once the live shows starts (which again is normal for singing contests/shows). I won’t be surprised if X Factor ratings go as low as 1.5 (it’s 2.3 on wednesday and 2.0 on thursday now) come november/december.

34. lor   October 13, 2013 at 12:23 pm

Ashly was the lamb….

35. David Ignatius   October 13, 2013 at 11:05 am

I was shocked to see Ashly Williams being sent home. A sure winner. X factor is poorer. I presume some kind of fixing.

36. Tamirah   October 13, 2013 at 5:08 am

Ashley may have been pitchy but all singers are like that even the best but we saw her first performance we know what she sings like Forreal she was amazing so it doesn’t matter Demi should have never sent her home

37. Cece   October 12, 2013 at 1:31 pm

Kelly made a stupid mistake and Demi make a even bigger stupid mistake… screw x factor… but im not mad at them becuz where does the x factor winners go anyway?? don’t worry i’ll wait….. exactly NO WHERE Ashly will be bigger then any x factor winner and so will Lorie Moore…

38. douglascobb   October 11, 2013 at 7:18 am

The episodes that they both did something controversial may have gotten better ratings than some others this season. But, people afterwards said they would not watch the show any longer. That’s the point — I don’t necessarily agree with those decisions of viewers who have said they will stop watching the show, but to each his/her own.

39. Jaci   October 11, 2013 at 5:58 am

Now that the world has seen Ashley Williams, she will go further than where the X Factor can take her. We should all remember Jennifer Hudson …

40. You are dumb   October 11, 2013 at 5:57 am

This is a dumb article. Paulina’s and Demi episode had high ratings. The ratings on Thursdays are always low. There ratings this week were higher than last week. Even fox tweeted about it.

41. lhill   October 11, 2013 at 4:57 am

Ashly is the best singer of this group.She gave a perfect preform, better than any one for this season. Several singer made mistakes but was given second chance.
    I will not watch this show anymore. I see why people say the Voice is mush better.

Bring Ashley Williams Back . Her voice along will make viewers watch to see if she pulls off the win.

42. Kirra   October 11, 2013 at 12:40 am

Demi is obviously not racist i mean seriously… She went to Kenya for her 21st to work over there and help build schools and to help out, thats obviously not being racist. Demi has always taught us that everybody is beautiful and that we all have reasons to live, Demi is the type of person that doesn’t judge people for their appearance which is a reason why I lover her(: Ever since Demi has been on the show i’ve been watching it.. and I live in Australia so yeah.. Paulina is an amazing person too. The show has been getting more views than the first season! I loved ashly she was a really good singer and i know its tough to choose only 4 people.. But you gotta get over it!

43. Douglas Cobb   October 10, 2013 at 9:40 pm

Jess, “by the way,” according to the Wikipedia page for The X Factor, the show averaged in the first season 12.49 million viewers. The second season, it averaged 8.79 million viewers. So far this season, it’ s averaging 6.45 million viewers. This is what I meant when I cited the above figures. I’m not saying that the ratings are just the result of what viewers think of the judges’ decisions, but a lot of people have said that they would no longer view the show because of especially Demi’s decision regarding sending Ashly Williams home.

44. jess   October 10, 2013 at 9:17 pm

btw’ last nights episode got 7+ million views…

45. jess   October 10, 2013 at 8:55 pm

i do’t think they hurt the ratings… the show has been getting 6 million viewers since the premiere… and it was a tough decision. she has a really good group of girls, and the girls she chose are great and gave great performances. yes, ashley’s first audition was great, but not her second one.. and they’re mostly judges based on that.

46. mary   October 10, 2013 at 7:29 pm

I agree with demi ashly did not sing the best she was very pitchy and she should have been sent home unlike Kelly Roland who kept Rachel potter now that’s one person who should have been sent home

47. Jason   October 10, 2013 at 7:02 pm

Yeah, getting rid of Ashley was a travesty! The show should see hits when they act this irresponsibly.