Food Stamps Not Shutting Down in November

Reduction, no shut down

u.s., editorial, food stamps november shutdown, ebt, SNAP

Social media and mainstream media is exploding with a story shared between news outlets. The government is shutting down food stamps and many are fearing riots, food shortages and more. Sometimes, the factor of myth is more powerful than the truth. While there is a reduction scheduled for November 1, benefits will continue to be disbursed to families who depend on the SNAP program. It is time to bust the myth on this story speculating and hitting social media outlets. Many families are stressed out, concerned their food stamps are set to stop in November. Fear no longer, it will not. Do not allow the fear mongering to stem from the truth.

Articles from many news outlets are creating a panic with headlines promoting riots, food shortages and starving families. This kind of negative media feeds into the masses, resulting in chaos leading to the headline. People take the news hard, looking to hit the stores – holding out benefits until this week when they are expected to rush the stores. Media, sometimes fails to accept responsibility for the mess they begin. Spreading the news like wildfire are outlets that are biased for either political side which only grows a fabric of fear.

The Recovery Act of 2009 boosted the benefits about $36 monthly for a family of four. No cut is ever acceptable in the face of poverty or lack of food, but food stamp benefits are not shutting down in November. The reduction is a direct result of the stimulus package now coming to an end. There are additional sources of lowered or minimal cost avenues. There are grocers such as ALDI, Save-A-Lot, Wal-Mart, Farmer Markets and food ministries online that are willing to accept the EBT food card. Bust the myth of a stoppage of benefits, no such thing is taking place November 1.

Food Stamps Shutting Down in November?

Talking to a single mother on Facebook, lead to an upsetting discovery. She was under the impression her EBT card would be canceled on Friday and shared her feedback:

I think when I was looking, I just read ‘stopped’ and ‘eliminated’ and I got scared. I have four kids and my husband died a few years ago so here I am thinking ‘oh my god’ I already work 52 hours weekly. I can’t do no more. When you showed me it is just a reduction and not a stop, I actually cried! They shouldn’t be doing that to us folks, that isn’t cool and it isn’t right.

People receiving benefits are more willing to handle a slight reduction over a complete end. The common logical factor here is the rise of use since 2009, over 47 million Americans receive food assistance from the government. The reduction is the end of a boost that was enacted by a majority of Democrats in 2009. Now the public is looking to blame Republicans, Democrats and just about anyone, but this is where consumer education on bills is most needed. This boost was given a deadline of 2013, this should not come as a surprise, it was part of the Recovery Act bill a few years ago.

Food Stamps Shutting Down in November?

Do not allow the mainstream media to incite anger, or treat those on the program as if they are nothing more than caged animals. Proclaiming riots and unchained Food Stamps Shutting Down in November? crime waves is not only ludicrous, it is insulting to the many families who need to supplement their income. Many of the families who depend on the assistance work one to two jobs to make the other bills. There is a significant level of misuse in the system, sadly many families who need the benefit do not receive it, while cheaters drain the system. To reduce the levels of potential fraud, a new Republican backed bill is soon to be introduced to make parameters stricter. This bill brings with it a level of controversy based on the parameters for review.

This article is not taking a side in a sad battle of food versus the people. It is dispelling the myth of horrible articles circulating the web and social media with headlines broadcasting a complete elimination. Sadly, both sides of the political field are using these extreme tactics to enhance their own stance. These extremes are not necessary, people are suffering financially – that alone is no secret. Job losses continues, financial hardships, the bills mount and the prices continue to climb. Dismiss the politicking of media outlets that enable the aspect of violence this Friday. Food stamps will be reduced as noted in the chart, but they will not shut down and it will not be eliminated in November. Be sure to come in contact with local grocers, small farmer markets and online food ministries for pricing and quality.

Angelina Bouc
Editoral

Resources for Affordable Food
One Harvest
Mid America Foods
Local Harvest

Recent –Red Bull $85 Million Lawsuit Sparks Debates…[click here]

Sources
Press TV
Wash Post
Statistic Brain
CBPP Org

33 Responses to "Food Stamps Not Shutting Down in November"

1. frank   September 28, 2015 at 8:36 am

There are so many people commuting food stamp fraud its unreal .the welfare system has to be revamped and stricter rules and guidelines put into place. The one thing they should be doing is running a criminal check to see if that person was ever arrested for any drug charges and if so you don’t get any help for at least 2years

2. frank   September 28, 2015 at 8:13 am

I believe that all welfare agencys are screwing the public and legally getting away with reducing or I should say stealing food stamps from the family’s that need them the most.

3. kerry widell   September 11, 2015 at 4:06 am

I depend on the foodstamps i get i am on my own now and only working 1 day a week

4. belinda   December 13, 2013 at 7:38 pm

im disabled and getting stamps for 3 on the 19th every month but I never got November 19th stamps its December 13 and I still have not received any so those saying its not stopping for November does not know what they are talking about

5. Larry Woolbert II   December 1, 2013 at 10:00 am

I live in Delaware. My periodic report was due by Nov 5. I completed it and turned it in early October. I received notification dated Oct 28 that my benefits were to increase starting in December.

I received another letter dated Nov. 14 telling me that my benefits will CLOSE on Nov. 30 because I failed to submit a periodic report… which I DID and have a letter proving that I DID.

I called them, they said they would take care of it. December 1… my account has been closed! I will be visiting the local office and they are NOT going to like me.

• Ashley   December 2, 2013 at 6:37 am

The same thing happened to me. My account is closed, but a few days ago the website said everything was submitted and my account was active. Please keep us updated!

• Autumn H.   December 13, 2013 at 9:19 pm

Roughly the same thing happened to me Larry. I had called my social worker day after day after day leaving her detailed messages on how to get in contact with me. My deposit day is the fourth of every month. So i never recieved my November stamps and literally I’m struggling. So on Nov. 28 I had just happened to call her and she picked up! Mind you she did NOT put my information through saying I missed her call. That was false she didnt do her part when i looked online it said my account was still active. She also went on to claim i never called her back. Several occasions I went to the office to speak to her and she never came out to meet me..Once her supervisor was contacted everything was straight. You honestly have to make sure you follow up on EVERYTHING because some of these people don’t care and treat people who really do need services like the ones who are abusing the sysyem. It’s truly unfair and now after several complaints, many phone calls and many many voicemails my case is now straight.

6. Ashley   November 28, 2013 at 6:40 pm

I’m a GA resident and was supposed to receive my benefits on 11/23.I still haven’t received them. What is going on?? I submitted my renewal on time and the website said my account is still active. I tried for 3 hours to get someone on the phone, but I was just put on hold, then disconnected after 20 min. I have a family to feed and my husband and I are both out of work, trying to find jobs to take care of our baby boy. What is going on??

7. Aaron H.   November 26, 2013 at 4:34 pm

My benefits were cut off without notice and when I called them, I had to go all through the automated system to get to a real boy that could only say, “all I can tell you, the account is closed.” What is this? I have a degree, but can’t work because child support has taken both, my driver’s license and my tech license, and I am to do what? then they want to put me in jail for not paying, where is the logic?

8. Nicole   November 18, 2013 at 8:04 am

Haven’t received my SNAP benefits either, & I’m a Georgia resident. I’ve tried aimlessly to access the hotline–which sends me in a limbo, which I’m always put on hold & then promptly disconnected. My online account shows that my case is open until review next year, so it’s not even frozen. I’ve searched all over the internet trying to find other people with these issues but the only thing I can find are those silly people who overran Wal*Mart with that “crisis” a month or so ago. Ughh.

You must be logged in to post a comment Login