Food Stamps Not Shutting Down in November

Reduction, no shut down

u.s., editorial, food stamps november shutdown, ebt, SNAP

Social media and mainstream media is exploding with a story shared between news outlets. The government is shutting down food stamps and many are fearing riots, food shortages and more. Sometimes, the factor of myth is more powerful than the truth. While there is a reduction scheduled for November 1, benefits will continue to be disbursed to families who depend on the SNAP program. It is time to bust the myth on this story speculating and hitting social media outlets. Many families are stressed out, concerned their food stamps are set to stop in November. Fear no longer, it will not. Do not allow the fear mongering to stem from the truth.

Articles from many news outlets are creating a panic with headlines promoting riots, food shortages and starving families. This kind of negative media feeds into the masses, resulting in chaos leading to the headline. People take the news hard, looking to hit the stores – holding out benefits until this week when they are expected to rush the stores. Media, sometimes fails to accept responsibility for the mess they begin. Spreading the news like wildfire are outlets that are biased for either political side which only grows a fabric of fear.

The Recovery Act of 2009 boosted the benefits about $36 monthly for a family of four. No cut is ever acceptable in the face of poverty or lack of food, but food stamp benefits are not shutting down in November. The reduction is a direct result of the stimulus package now coming to an end. There are additional sources of lowered or minimal cost avenues. There are grocers such as ALDI, Save-A-Lot, Wal-Mart, Farmer Markets and food ministries online that are willing to accept the EBT food card. Bust the myth of a stoppage of benefits, no such thing is taking place November 1.

Food Stamps Shutting Down in November?

Talking to a single mother on Facebook, lead to an upsetting discovery. She was under the impression her EBT card would be canceled on Friday and shared her feedback:

I think when I was looking, I just read ‘stopped’ and ‘eliminated’ and I got scared. I have four kids and my husband died a few years ago so here I am thinking ‘oh my god’ I already work 52 hours weekly. I can’t do no more. When you showed me it is just a reduction and not a stop, I actually cried! They shouldn’t be doing that to us folks, that isn’t cool and it isn’t right.

People receiving benefits are more willing to handle a slight reduction over a complete end. The common logical factor here is the rise of use since 2009, over 47 million Americans receive food assistance from the government. The reduction is the end of a boost that was enacted by a majority of Democrats in 2009. Now the public is looking to blame Republicans, Democrats and just about anyone, but this is where consumer education on bills is most needed. This boost was given a deadline of 2013, this should not come as a surprise, it was part of the Recovery Act bill a few years ago.

Food Stamps Shutting Down in November?

Do not allow the mainstream media to incite anger, or treat those on the program as if they are nothing more than caged animals. Proclaiming riots and unchained Food Stamps Shutting Down in November? crime waves is not only ludicrous, it is insulting to the many families who need to supplement their income. Many of the families who depend on the assistance work one to two jobs to make the other bills. There is a significant level of misuse in the system, sadly many families who need the benefit do not receive it, while cheaters drain the system. To reduce the levels of potential fraud, a new Republican backed bill is soon to be introduced to make parameters stricter. This bill brings with it a level of controversy based on the parameters for review.

This article is not taking a side in a sad battle of food versus the people. It is dispelling the myth of horrible articles circulating the web and social media with headlines broadcasting a complete elimination. Sadly, both sides of the political field are using these extreme tactics to enhance their own stance. These extremes are not necessary, people are suffering financially – that alone is no secret. Job losses continues, financial hardships, the bills mount and the prices continue to climb. Dismiss the politicking of media outlets that enable the aspect of violence this Friday. Food stamps will be reduced as noted in the chart, but they will not shut down and it will not be eliminated in November. Be sure to come in contact with local grocers, small farmer markets and online food ministries for pricing and quality.

Angelina Bouc
Editoral

Resources for Affordable Food
One Harvest
Mid America Foods
Local Harvest

Recent –Red Bull $85 Million Lawsuit Sparks Debates…[click here]

Sources
Press TV
Wash Post
Statistic Brain
CBPP Org

33 Responses to "Food Stamps Not Shutting Down in November"

1. frank   September 28, 2015 at 8:36 am

There are so many people commuting food stamp fraud its unreal .the welfare system has to be revamped and stricter rules and guidelines put into place. The one thing they should be doing is running a criminal check to see if that person was ever arrested for any drug charges and if so you don’t get any help for at least 2years

2. frank   September 28, 2015 at 8:13 am

I believe that all welfare agencys are screwing the public and legally getting away with reducing or I should say stealing food stamps from the family’s that need them the most.

3. kerry widell   September 11, 2015 at 4:06 am

I depend on the foodstamps i get i am on my own now and only working 1 day a week

4. belinda   December 13, 2013 at 7:38 pm

im disabled and getting stamps for 3 on the 19th every month but I never got November 19th stamps its December 13 and I still have not received any so those saying its not stopping for November does not know what they are talking about

5. Larry Woolbert II   December 1, 2013 at 10:00 am

I live in Delaware. My periodic report was due by Nov 5. I completed it and turned it in early October. I received notification dated Oct 28 that my benefits were to increase starting in December.

I received another letter dated Nov. 14 telling me that my benefits will CLOSE on Nov. 30 because I failed to submit a periodic report… which I DID and have a letter proving that I DID.

I called them, they said they would take care of it. December 1… my account has been closed! I will be visiting the local office and they are NOT going to like me.

• Ashley   December 2, 2013 at 6:37 am

The same thing happened to me. My account is closed, but a few days ago the website said everything was submitted and my account was active. Please keep us updated!

• Autumn H.   December 13, 2013 at 9:19 pm

Roughly the same thing happened to me Larry. I had called my social worker day after day after day leaving her detailed messages on how to get in contact with me. My deposit day is the fourth of every month. So i never recieved my November stamps and literally I’m struggling. So on Nov. 28 I had just happened to call her and she picked up! Mind you she did NOT put my information through saying I missed her call. That was false she didnt do her part when i looked online it said my account was still active. She also went on to claim i never called her back. Several occasions I went to the office to speak to her and she never came out to meet me..Once her supervisor was contacted everything was straight. You honestly have to make sure you follow up on EVERYTHING because some of these people don’t care and treat people who really do need services like the ones who are abusing the sysyem. It’s truly unfair and now after several complaints, many phone calls and many many voicemails my case is now straight.

6. Ashley   November 28, 2013 at 6:40 pm

I’m a GA resident and was supposed to receive my benefits on 11/23.I still haven’t received them. What is going on?? I submitted my renewal on time and the website said my account is still active. I tried for 3 hours to get someone on the phone, but I was just put on hold, then disconnected after 20 min. I have a family to feed and my husband and I are both out of work, trying to find jobs to take care of our baby boy. What is going on??

7. Aaron H.   November 26, 2013 at 4:34 pm

My benefits were cut off without notice and when I called them, I had to go all through the automated system to get to a real boy that could only say, “all I can tell you, the account is closed.” What is this? I have a degree, but can’t work because child support has taken both, my driver’s license and my tech license, and I am to do what? then they want to put me in jail for not paying, where is the logic?

8. Nicole   November 18, 2013 at 8:04 am

Haven’t received my SNAP benefits either, & I’m a Georgia resident. I’ve tried aimlessly to access the hotline–which sends me in a limbo, which I’m always put on hold & then promptly disconnected. My online account shows that my case is open until review next year, so it’s not even frozen. I’ve searched all over the internet trying to find other people with these issues but the only thing I can find are those silly people who overran Wal*Mart with that “crisis” a month or so ago. Ughh.

9. Natasha   November 12, 2013 at 4:49 am

Please can someone explain to me why I haven’t received my foodstamp benefits I’m certied thru January I have a family of 8including a disabled grandbaby I was supposed to get my benefits on today 11-12-13 but still nothing I’m in Texas I’m really stressing right now I’m not working I have no income but I can’t work due to my health and my 2yr old granddaughter who I have full custody of

• Candy Pugliese   November 13, 2013 at 7:27 pm

I haven’t received mine either… What are they doing???

10. vanessa   November 10, 2013 at 7:49 am

I live in brooklyn Ny and was suppose to get My snap benifits nov 9 and still nothing :

• Melissa   November 12, 2013 at 12:56 pm

Same here, I was suppose to receive on November 7th and have not received anything yet either..

11. laura   November 6, 2013 at 2:58 am

I to have gotten the shock of my life when I went to get food and found nothing but a few cents. I completed my updated paperwork in august and have gotten my benefits for september and october. This will also affect my sons lunch in school. Am
    so upset. I am beside myself. Even are local food pantries
    shelves are bare. Please help me. I just can’t seem t

• Angelina Bouc   November 6, 2013 at 6:37 am

Laura, be sure to reach out to your case worker, as frustrating as I hear that truly can be, you can continually call or visit until someone looks into the matter. All receivers were to complete documentation of updating information. Please let us know if that rectifies the situation!

• PANative   November 6, 2013 at 11:45 am

OKAY FOR NOW… As of 9:25 AM, my benefit was credited. My father and I promptly went shopping and used most of it and will probably plan another trip soon. My strategy includes buying fresh, frozen, and long-term food. I home-can a lot always prepare my own food. I wish some of us could coordinate to help each other expand our resources. Someone could grow, while another cooks and cans.

• Angelina Bouc   November 6, 2013 at 12:55 pm

Thank you so much for following up! Overall, there are food ministries you can find online that provide really low cost food and shop around for local farmer markets, I have one near me and I buy literally a grocery bag full of veggies for $3.00

• PANative   November 6, 2013 at 1:53 pm

I love the farmer’s market, where I can buy more than a large cooler full of produce for $20. Our local food banks always seem to be depleted. If you do not have a pressure canner, try to get one or find someone who cans. It will save money and provide healthier options.

12. PANative   November 5, 2013 at 4:02 pm

I know what they said, and they acknowledged my paperwork. There is no reason that voting should affect it. And, of course, the recording says they are busy and hangs up the call.

Hopefully they will put the funds in soon.

Only the government and Microsoft gets away with working so badly without losing money… (Sigh.)

• Angelina Bouc   November 5, 2013 at 4:27 pm

I didn’t think so either, but I have a few sources who stated their own benefits were deposited a day early and one checked her date and it was changed till tomorrow. Do keep us updated! If there are additional delays, we can probe deeper.

13. PANative   November 5, 2013 at 3:43 pm

EBT amount was not deposited for November 5th. The last of many attempts was approximately 6:37 PM EST. Is this happening nationwide or just in Pennsylvania?

So much for just a reduction. For all those years I worked long hours and sometimes multiple jobs; as well as donating goods, money, and time/labor, and now I cannot get ANY help. I became disabled – not lazy!!

• Angelina Bouc   November 5, 2013 at 3:49 pm

Voting day may had delayed this for some, you may want to contact your local Human Services department to confirm. It was a reduction and not a stop. Please keep in mind, it appears all participants were to complete their renewal paperwork.

14. Kevin   November 5, 2013 at 6:59 am

I normally recieve my benefits on the 5th of every month. I woke up today and had .42 cents on my card. I can handle a cutback but i dont know what I’m supposed to do now. I’m 28, working for minimum wage and living on my friends couch

15. Autumn   November 4, 2013 at 2:27 pm

I have a family of two Myself and my child, I was waiting for my food stamp money to be deposited onto my card and it revealed that I had $12.36!!! I don’t know why and its upsetting I was told that I was going to receive a $20 cut from my budget, I can handle that but what am i suppose to do with $12.36?? Im really upset and to top it all off my social worker is NOT answering my calls.

• Angelina Bouc   November 4, 2013 at 2:42 pm

Autumn, you may want to confirm the deposit date of your benefits. If it is now due yet, the balance may reflect the changes prior to the refill.

16. torinclinton   November 1, 2013 at 10:06 pm

If you work “52” hours per week, you do not qualify for SNAP benefits.

• Angelina Bouc   November 1, 2013 at 10:53 pm

Hi Torinclinton, we did – with the assistance reach out to a Human Service representative. Individuals can indeed qualify for SNAP with those kind of hours, based on the individual’s rate of pay vs. payables + widow status, it is possible.

17. Luna   November 1, 2013 at 1:13 am

I was waiting for the clock to hit midnight to get food for my family of 3. I called and it says i have 96cents! I panicked and looked online to see if something was going on. I just talked to health and welfare a few days ago because im up for my 6 month reevaluation. They said as long as i got my paperwork in by the 30th of Nov. I was fine for this month.. so when i looked online and saw all the info on the food stamps being frozen til further notice i freaked out. Im disabled but not collecting disability. My fiancee works so hard to support me and our 3year old,but its been hard. I cried and worried how we would even make it. And was confused because when i called the snap card # it just announced the cutback..which i could totally deal with that.. but a total stop?! The USDA site even says cutback.. not stopped… so im thinking after reading this that maybe its just taking longer because this just started. Hoping by morning it will be there… Because i cannot imagine how we would make it when we barely make rent. Also i will say the comments out there are cruel. “Good its about time” i have never been on government aid in my life until this year. And we only get food stamps. For people that are saying only lazy people are on food stamps you are sadly mistaken. I pray this is the article that is correct…

• Angelina Bouc   November 1, 2013 at 8:07 am

Luna, I am so sorry to hear about that, I know how many people need assistance and it’s food! No one should be denied the basic necessity of it. Keep in mind, your refill date will remain the same. I called the local Human Services line here and it was very busy, after 2 hours I spoke to a rep. She stated NO shut downs. It is a reduction. I did confirm this last week as well. Keep in mind if your refill date is the 1st, it will refill today. If it the 3rd or the 8th, it will refill on those dates as normal.

This is horrible to treat people like this, so I wanted to clear the confusion. It’s cruel to families who need this assistance.

18. Weeblewabble   October 31, 2013 at 10:43 pm

I do not understand. I can obviously read English but the articles i read are two totally different articles. I read one a week ago that said a small decrease in benefits. And late last night i saw an email from the USDA that said that Novembers issuance of SNAP is to beheld and not dispersed