Hot Dogs Give You Worms – Truth about Parasites [Disturbing Images]

hot dogs

According to medical experts, the truth about human parasities is that hot dogs, ham slices, cold cuts, pork chops and bacon are the some of the most likely foods to give you worms. The runners-up include other types of processed meats like chicken and fish, as well as unwashed, imported fruits and vegetables. Unseen to the naked eye, many meats contain various types of  worms and protozoa that want to make a cozy home inside your intestinal tract. The Puristat medical company says: “We trust the cattle, pork and chicken producers to keep their livestock wormed on a regular basis, but over 50% of animals that go to slaughter are parasite infected.”

Parasites aren’t just something that wild animals and pets have; according to doctors an estimated 90% of people have parasites too, right now. Despite showering daily, drinking treated water and mopping the floor from time to time, humans are still incredibly susceptible to parasitic infestations, and they just don’t tend to know it. In fact, people can be downright angry at the suggestion that they may be suffering from parasites, simply because in most first-world cultures such things are believed to be problematic only to poor nations. The truth is that parasites are everywhere and they are living inside of most of us, regardless of our region or financial status.

tapeworms

So how do parasitic infections occur? Creatures such as roundworms, Giardia lamblia, Cryptosporidium parvum and amoebas come into contact with humans mainly via their food, hands and water. When we become infected from hot dogs or other contaminated foods, it is not because we accidentally ate a worm, but because we unknowingly ate the eggs. Eggs can be found in animal feces and subsequently on people’s hands and food due to cross-contamination. Eating a few worm eggs does not necessarily mean that you will become infested, however continually eating contaminated foods or water will almost always result in intestinal infestation. The Center for Disease Control and Prevention has estimated that more than 60 million American adults – plus 50 million children – are carrying Toxoplasma gondii from contact with undercooked meat.

Parasite infestation

One of the reasons that these infections go unchecked in most cases is that parasites are difficult to diagnose. Worms can also be undetected for many years in your intestinal tract without being noticed in terms of negative symptoms, so treatment is rarely sought out.

Symptoms of parasitic infestation include the following:

• Worms in stool
  • Stomach and abdominal pain
  • Nauseau
  • Vomiting
  • Gas and Bloating
  • Diarrhea
  • Bloody stools
  • Loose, runny stools
  • Fatigue
  • Rectum and vulvar itching or rash
  • Weight loss

There are five main ways to contract parasites: Through contaminated food, water, animals, other humans or traveling. Foods that contain parasites and eggs need to be cooked thoroughly to remove the threat, however some packaged, pre-prepared meats are generally only warmed-through before being consumed. Despite a widespread love of hot dogs and other pork products, the truth is that undercooked pork products like hot dogs can absolutely give you worms and other parasites. Just ask your doctor!

Written by Mandy Gardner

University of Maryland Medical Center – Intestinal Parasites

Humaworm – How We Get Parasites

Puristat – The truth about human intensital parasites

Organic Health – Types of Worms and Parasites that Live in Humans

7 Responses to "Hot Dogs Give You Worms – Truth about Parasites [Disturbing Images]"

1. Kait   April 19, 2016 at 7:02 pm

I’m guessing you’re not an anything ‘ologist’ John. Well educated people are rarely as rude as you are.

2. Jeannine Coventon   September 12, 2014 at 9:26 pm

People sadly are so naive in regards to attitudes about worms it should be taught generally in schools to standardise the understanding..it would enhance and upgrade human health across the whole population.Humans are hosts and theres not much you can do to avoid worms except by worming regularly and testing for tapeworm

3. reinne   June 15, 2014 at 6:03 pm

This is so true… this one time my aunt came over to babysit me and my younger sister and she gave us raw hot dogs to eat .-. I had about 4 or so and I remember afew days latter I remember feeling somthing moving inside my butt ( ik complete TMI right?!? ) so I told my mom about it and she ended up looking around in my butt and she found worms! So this article is TRUE

4. Nowyouknow Thatits Time   May 25, 2014 at 5:23 am

Hello all you non-believers!! Pay attention, she was making a generalization. The hotdog was just to get your attention. She is correct on the fact that humans can and do get worms. Unfortunately, I found out the hard way. I recently had worms and this was the absolute worst, most scariest thing that has ever happened to me in my life. I live in Washington state. I have not traveled anywhere out of the country. So I must have got them from contaminated food. It could happen to anyone.

5. Disgruntled reader   May 9, 2014 at 11:35 am

Complete bs I grew up on hot dogs and I don’t have any problems what so ever. Get your facts straight!

6. Jason   October 6, 2013 at 6:47 am

Mandy Gardner must be a pen name for Jenny Mcarthy….this is complete bs. You never hear of anyone finding worms when they have a colonoscopy….while this may be common in subsaharan africa food born parasites such as trich have almost been comp l etely eliminated. Since when are hotdogs undercooked?

• John   March 17, 2014 at 8:24 pm

Jason, you are absolutely right. This article is complete crap. If I had to guess, I’d wager it was written by a left-wing, anti-American, man-hating, global warming alarmist, vegan/vegetarian, anti-meat crusader on a mission to scare the public into her narrow ideals. Because if people don’t do things her way, they’re wrong.. am I right? Kind of ironic Ms. Gardner writes for a site that claims they’re so politically objective when she is clearly an extremist activist. There is zero evidence that a hot dog has ever caused a helminthic infection in anyone. Get your facts straight.

–Parasitologist and husband to a veterinarian