J.K. Rowling Fighting Multiple Sclerosis Her Way

J.K. Rowling author

A multiple sclerosis (MS) research clinic has been opened by Harry Potter writer J.K. Rowling and is named in honor of her late mother, whom she lost to MS. It has been established in Edinburgh Scotland.  Rowling is fighting Multiple Sclerosis her way.

The Anne Rowling Regenerative Neurology Clinic is located at the University of Edinburgh.

Research at the clinic will concentrate on looking for treatments on how to slow the advancement of MS, along with gaining more knowledge about other neural disorders, such as Parkinson’s and Alzheimer’s diseases and also various motor neuron illnesses.

Rowling’s mother passed away at the age of 45 from MS. She was at the official inauguration of the center on Tuesday but she did not give any sort of speech. The author did give a statement to the press where she exclaimed she was elated to see the clinic formally open. She stated she had watched the clinic from the planning stages to being fully built and now ready to open and how proud she was of it, and to see her mother’s name on it.

When Rowling announced she wanted to open the clinic over three years ago, the writer said she believed it would become known world-wide for its knowledge and superiority in its field. Back in 2010 she stated that she had supported study into MS research cause and treatment for many years, but when she first received the suggestion for this clinic, she realized that she had discovered a mission that was more moving, more advanced, more likely to possibly find out the mysteries of MS than any of the other projects she had been reading about.

The facility has been placed inside the university’s Chancellor’s Building, right beside next to the Edinburgh Royal Infirmary. Rowling toured the clinic before she met various staff members and students, then the center had its grand opening.

Speaking at the clinic’s opening, university professor Sir Timothy O’Shea explained that from the beginning of the health center to now, the entire process had moved forward in an amazing way. He said they all owed a great debt to J.K. Rowling, and thanked her for the act of philanthropy she had provided to get the clinic going in the first place.

Rowling was also thanked by other individuals of the university. A professor of Medical Research, Charles Constant, stated that the health center would draw on the university’s world known power and strength in stem cell research, regeneration of nerve cells, and neuroscience to fight against MS and other diseases.

Multiple sclerosis affects people all around the entire world. MS causes myelin, the protective layer surrounding the nerve cells in the brain, to break down, which leads to symptoms such as numbness in the hands and feet, fatigue, muscle weakness, and all-over tiredness. There are many other symptoms that vary from person to person and women are more likely to come down with it than are men.

The exact cause of the disease has not been fully understood, although it is believed that genetics and environmental factors might play a role in the illness. Now that J.K. Rowling has established the Multiple Sclerosis clinic  and is fighting MS her way, more factors might be found in the diagnosis of the disease.

Written by: Kimberly Ruble

Chicago Tribune

CNN

Science News

10 Responses to "J.K. Rowling Fighting Multiple Sclerosis Her Way"

1. Dee   August 9, 2014 at 3:47 am

I like jk rowling 🙂

2. Lori Batchelor   November 2, 2013 at 10:33 am

I was diagnosed with the mysterious condition of MS in 1990, becoming secondary/progressive by the mid-’90’s. There was no treatment available and I was told I would just continue to deteriorate until I die. I did continue to deteriorate, with no hope whatsoever, until Mar. 17, 2011, when I had venous angioplasty to treat a 50% blockage of my azygos vein and 90% blockages of both jugulars. Within a few hours I had regained equilibrium that had been lost for almost 20 years. Many other improvements as well. I sincerely hope that this research centre will consider looking at the vascular connection to MS–it’s meant an incredible improvement in my quality of life! Thank you for thinking outside the box!
    MS Mobility Improvement

3. Marygrace Coneff   November 1, 2013 at 9:21 pm

I so hope they will do more research on Low Dose Naltrexone. It at least stops the progression of MS in 85 percent of patients. If you want to learn more, check out http://www.LowDoseNaltrexone.org.

4. lynneheal   November 1, 2013 at 6:58 pm

Thankyou to Jk Rowling for all her dedication to MS and hard work too

5. lynneheal   November 1, 2013 at 6:56 pm

I did contact this clinic who e mailed me to say it will take a long time to get things moving also

6. perwest   November 1, 2013 at 4:37 pm

How absolutely important this initiative would be, if focus could be put on the veins and the much to high bloodpressure in there, destroying the blood, brain, barriere, allowing iron and infections to come into the brain.
    Hope the clinic won’t become just another place for leaving all hope of a cure for the disease, that is NOT autoimmune.
    The autoimmunity is just epigenetic breeded further on to next generation, by neurologist insisting on their right to maltreatment!
    Thank you JK Rowlings for the new clinic and many good hours of reading.

Per West

7. Vicki Lodden   November 1, 2013 at 1:00 pm

I am 53 and have been fighting MS for 31 years. I am now in the secondary progressive stage. Cognitive issues are currently progressing for me as well. My sincere gratitude to J.K. Rowling, and all fellow researchers. Please know that this disease not only affects the person afflicted with MS, but also their family members as well.

8. Jo Hearrell   November 1, 2013 at 12:10 pm

I was told I had MS in 2004. I was 43 at the time. I don’t know of anyone in my family that has or had MS. I do know that if I drink
    to many cokes it seems to flare up the MS symtoms. I hope and pray the best on their research. And a big Thank You MS. Rowling.

9. Alicia   October 12, 2013 at 7:57 pm

that is awesome!!! thank you from an MS Mom.

10. lynnehealLYNNIE HEAL   October 9, 2013 at 5:47 pm

CCSVI over 40,000 have now had worldwide understands why JK stood down from the MS charitys because they promote to many deadly MS drugs