Simpsons Creator Sam Simon Fighting Terminal Cancer

Sam Simon with his dogs

Sam Simon, one of the original 3 creators of the wildly popular cartoon show, “The Simpsons”, is still fighting terminal colon cancer after being given 6 months to live in late 2012. The diagnosis came after a year of discomfort and inconclusive medical testing. The 58-year old worked with Matt Groening and James L. Brooks throughout the early 90s to develop what would become the most successful sitcom to date, however he left the team in 1994 after creative differences with Matt Groening. The successful comedy writer left “The Simpsons” with an incredibly lucrative agreement that has given him tens of millions of dollars in revenues each year – and he has given much of it away to charity.

Simon was diagnosed with terminal cancer at the end of 2012 and given only 3 to 6 months to live, however he has beaten those odds and says that he won’t go down without a fight. The comedian, also responsible for many episodes of “Taxi” and co-production of “The George Carlin Show”, is using traditional as well as non-tradition methods to fight his disease. He says, “I’m not sad, I’m happy. I don’t feel angry and bitter. I want to do whatever I can to survive.”

He also says that people are lining up at his door looking for money. A lifelong philanthropist, vegan and animal rights activist, Simon has spent years supporting many animal and philanthropic charities such as the Sea Shepherd Conservation Society, People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals, and his own charity, the Sam Simon Foundation. The Sam Simon Foundation rescues homeless dogs and trains them to help deaf people as well as disabled war veterans. PETA headquarters were named the Sam Simon Center this March to recognize his ongoing support, both philosophical and financial. Simon also supports a Los Angeles food bank that provides vegan meals to 200 families every day.
He may be rich and sick, but Simon is still running a radio show and consulting for the FX sitcom “Anger Management.” He’s also engaged to his girlfriend, Jenna, and keeping an active Twitter profile. Last December, thanks to generous donations from Simon, the Sea Shepherd Conservation Society equipped a new anti-whaling boat – complete with teeth – and named it for their donor. Above all, Sam Simon wants his money to keep supporting animal rights and helping the poor.
Sam Simon's boat
When Sam Simon woke up in the hospital late 2012 after fighting to survive a perforated colon from terminal cancer, the “Simpsons” creator realized he needed to get his financial affairs in order. Working with trustees from the Rockefeller Foundation, Simon has now set up his own trust that will ensure his “Simpsons” revenue is spent the way he wants. Had he died with nothing but a will, his estate could lose millions in legal fees before a charity group saw a dime. As for the time he has left, Simon isn’t making long-term plans but he also isn’t giving up the fight for his life. Fans can keep up with Sam Simon via his Twitter feed and his radio show – but they probably shouldn’t bother asking for a handout.
Sam Simon with cigar
by Mandy Gardner

On Wall Street

Twitter

Daily Mail

10 Responses to "Simpsons Creator Sam Simon Fighting Terminal Cancer"

1. matt   November 10, 2014 at 7:19 pm

i agree with hank he show had a run the creators r out of ideas but i would spend the money by doing everything i wanted to do before i die

2. martina   January 11, 2014 at 6:32 pm

I dont believe giving away money to charities is the best thing…he should be giving it directly to the needy!!!!!

3. Catherine Hoban   January 10, 2014 at 7:27 am

Absolutely admirable what you are doing ,I have always said that if I ever won the lottery that I would donate monies to the less fortunate.Hopefully many people will remember you for your generosity and sensitivity. wishing you peace ..

4. Laura   January 9, 2014 at 4:25 pm

So very sad to hear. I’m curious, did he ever get his colonoscopy at 50? Unfortunately probably not. If the media would publicize this important test and disarm the myths that I don’t need one because I am health, it could save lives. That message would be more important than where his fortune is going. These are the dangers of self treating on the internet. There is no substitute for a healthy relationship with your physician and physician directed care. Colon cancer is the 2nd leading cause of cancer deaths in the US and doesn’t discriminate whether a vegan, marathon runner or fast food junkie. Wishing him peace and pain free ending.

5. Cathy stratmeyer   January 9, 2014 at 4:21 pm

I am also fighting terminal colon cancer it sucks ! I am only 55 years old. I have been doing chemo for 2 years, I carry the Kras gene , which means no chemo will kill this gene, they have given me two months to live. I am in so much pain, I wish there were more clinical trails for colon cancer, they just don’t spend enough on colon cancer, maybe if you could , put some money aside for colon cancer , so people can beat this ugly disease .

• Mandy Gardner   January 27, 2014 at 2:35 pm

Cathy, I’m so sorry to hear about your diagnosis. While I don’t have any specific information about Sam Simon’s donating funds to cancer research, I’m sure he has been urged to do so by his friends and others like you, who are suffering. More trials and research are certainly needed to beat this disease!

• Mona   July 25, 2014 at 3:11 pm

Baking soda cures cancer…do a youtube search…just like at your doctor’s office, you can see if you trust the doctor talking about it there…it cured my pre-cancerous cells when I tried everything else including the raw food diet…and it hasn’t come back after 1 year…if I were you I would do a baking soda colon cleanse, and drink it daily for about a week. Won’t hurt to try…its the main ingredient in Tums…it reduces acid that causes disease.

6. Joyce Meadows   October 6, 2013 at 8:38 am

I have sent emails and calls to ask for help for help to build a rescue for dogs. I have 6 dogs right now I live in a small town and there are many many more that I see that need help. I try to feed them when I see them but I don’t have the means or place to take them all. I donate to the local animal shelter by sending food as much as I can. I have never heard back from the organization?!?!?

• Mandy Gardner   October 6, 2013 at 12:45 pm

Joyce, why don’t you look for government grants for your rescue? There may be some animal rescue funds available that way. I imagine that Simon’s fund is completely overwhelmed with questions and messages right now. Keep doing your best, because it is people like you that make a difference to an animal’s life! PS Hank, Simon is currently funding a food bank program for children and families.

7. hank   October 3, 2013 at 1:37 pm

Waste of money that could feed starving children. The Simpsons hasn’t been funny for over 15 years.