Veterans, Truckers Heading for Washington

Million Vet March
Military veterans, along with truckers, are heading for Washington DC at the end of the week to express their opposition to the conduct of the federal government. Although the WWII memorial was constructed – and is maintained – with private funding and even though it is normally open to the public at all times and has no security, armed forces veterans have been prevented from paying their respects at the site, along with other war memorials. Some of the visitors have now even been arrested. At the same time, the authorities have given the green light to a rally on the National Mall, in support of illegal immigration. It seems that the level of outrage against the actions of the current administration has almost reached boiling point.

The truckers’ protest is labeled the “Truckers Ride for the Constitution” or “Truckers to Shut Down America.” The protest has been promoted on social networks, although the Facebook page was shut down and so a new one was started. The original page had quickly garnered more than 87,000 “likes.” The new page has almost 61,000 “likes.” Twitter also decided to censor the truckers, suspending their @T2SDA account, although the hashtag #T2SDA is still being used heavily.

From October 11-13, the truckers plan to bring the nation’s capital to a standstill. They will circle the beltway, taking up three lanes and leaving only an emergency lane open. They have vowed to respond to any potential action by law enforcement by creating a “three-lane roadblock,” according to one trucker. The drivers plan to call upon law enforcement to arrest members of Congress for violating the Constitution. “We are going to ask the law enforcement to uphold their constitutional oath and make these arrests. If they refuse to do it, by the power of the people of the United States and the people’s grand jury, they don’t want to do it, we will…” the trucker said.

In a press release published Saturday on the movement’s website, the truckers have listed their grievances, which include a number of issues related to regulations which they see as unfairly restricting their ability to operate at a profit. These points of contention include mandatory breaks during driving time, the requirement to maintain electronic driving logs (ELOG) and high fuel prices, which they consider to be manipulated by the current administration, which, they say, has also refused to exploit North America’s abundant natural resources, which would, according to the press release, “lower the price of fuel and gas, well below $1.00 per gallon.” The Truckers also cite a number of political grievances against the Obama administration, such as its support of al Qaeda fighters in Syria, an excessive number of Executive Orders, and the National Defense Authorization Act (NDAA), to which, in 2012, President Obama added a provision for “indefinite military detention without charge or trial”. In addition to truckers, private citizens are being encouraged to join the protest in their personal vehicles.

truckers

While the truckers are heading to Washington, military veterans are also organizing a “million veteran march” on the capital, scheduled to take place October 13, in coordination with gatherings at war memorials across the country. The vets are responding to the perceived direct disrespect shown by the administration towards them by the recent barricading of a number of prominent memorials including the World War II memorial, the Iwo Jima memorial and the Vietnam memorial.

Recent photographs of veterans being arrested at memorials in Washington have caused widespread disgust and anger, particularly since it has been revealed that a demonstration in support of illegal immigrants’ rights has been approved to take place on the National Mall, which has been, supposedly, closed down as a result of the partial shutdown of the federal government.

The “Million Vet March” is also being heavily promoted on social networks; the twitter hashtag is #1MVetMarch. According to their website, “Vets, their spouses, children, friends, neighbors – everyone who thinks enough is enough!” are invited to attend.

According to the petition that they are inviting Americans to sign, “We, the American people and honored veterans are outraged by the senseless closure of our national war memorials. We understand that many of these memorials are open 24 hours per day, seven days per week with little or no staffing and were paid for with tax payer funds.”

It remains to be seen how many truckers, veterans and ordinary Americans will be heading to Washington. It is also not certain what effect these events will have upon the nation’s elected leaders, although it may be that these twin protests mark the beginning of popular demonstrations against the US government that will rival the TEA Party and Occupy demonstrations of recent years.

Graham J Noble

Source I
Source II
Source III
Source IV
Source V

22 Responses to "Veterans, Truckers Heading for Washington"

1. Judy   October 12, 2013 at 4:21 pm

THANK YOU to all who are fighting for OUR rights as citizens.

2. CONCERNED PERSON   October 11, 2013 at 6:42 pm

in one comment above i read that the National Guard may block the roads in washington dc on the truckers and vets. surley they would not do this to the men and women that has gave so much for them and their families, thay should stand with them and support them every step of the way….i and my family greatly appreciate everything all of you have done for us….the sactrific you have made,…even tho we are not there in person,we all stand with you, we need to stand for AMERICA and the AMERICAN people….where is the MEDIA….this is the first time i have seen or heard anything about this, they sure don’t fail to give all the news and information about something not worth even talking about, like racism,whites,blacks,the stars divorces,the stars dresses,and all the crap…not worth listening to,..this is terrible,gas prices like it is, when it don’t have to be. our power bills as high as they are today…terrible,what is our country coming to….and it don’t have to be….WAKE UP,..PLEASE WAKE UP..IT IS UP TO THE PEOPLE, WE HAVE TO STAND TOGETHER..THANK YOU ALL SO MUCH FOR WHAT YOU ARE DOING THIS WEEKEND…GOD BLESS EACH AND EVERY ONE OF YOU….

3. Elena Hartz   October 11, 2013 at 9:11 am

I like others am fed up especially with Obama. What a disgrace he is to our people!! I am a single Mom and with the help of my hard working father & Mom I wouldn’t be who I am if it weren’t for them. Our President knocks people with means while they are the ones helping such as the Fischer Brothers of whom my father personally knows. I have raised my two sons to be educated & work hard. One of which has worked 3 jobs in high school & went on to go to an Dartmouth. Because of the rich he was afforded the opportunity to now have a job after being let go by a hedgefund.He was unemployed for 4 months and finally landed a job because of his determination & education. He is now working for an IT company & working towards his Masters at NYU because of his wealthy grandfather & because he is ambitious. Our President is a disgrace!!! I personally work for a tree company lifting logs, managing the entire company, filling gas cans, lugging brush, chipping brush, etc…. I could not find a job and decided to help my fiance who has had it extremely hard just keeping his home. The government has made it nearly impossible to run a small business because of the rising costs.I am so proud of these people standing up for our rights. Thank you so much!!!!!

4. Russell Carter   October 11, 2013 at 7:23 am

Call him what you want but when the families lose their child or spouse in a war they deserve the money owed to them and when they don’t receive it that blame lands on the shoulders of the President.For that reason alone if given the chance I’d love to give him what he deserves.He’s the worst we have elected…

5. Russell Carter   October 11, 2013 at 6:43 am

It is absolutely appalling and nothing short of a travesty that elected officials continue to receive paychecks and benefits while NOT PROVIDING for those who deserve it most…This makes Obama the WORST President this Country has ever had…It’s down right STUPID on his part..He’s the first black President,it looks like he would want to go down in history as being a great one not the WORST one…Just my Opinion~~~

6. Nancy Reid   October 11, 2013 at 5:25 am

What is Washington doing to our “Greatest Generation”? Send Obama, Pelosi and Reid with a 100 lb backpack on off to Afghanistan. How dare they bar vets from their memorial and then lie about it. They bring a new face to evil.

• Russell Carter   October 11, 2013 at 7:25 am

Well said…5 *****

7. Thom Paine   October 10, 2013 at 6:19 pm

The perfect storm is brewing. A bit of extra food ,water, ammo etc. Better to be prepared .. Yours in mutual defense of the constitution and Bill of Rights, A. Veteran Is this the opportunity for the Potus to declare an emergency via U.S.C 50 chapter 13? Hope not but nothing would surprise me these days. Wouldnt even surprise me if it was the White House covertly organizing the demonstration in D.C.

8. Dianne Kennedy   October 10, 2013 at 3:11 pm

I heard they are planning to shut down the highways into DC for the weekend and bringing in the National Guard. Is there any truth to that?

• Graham Noble   October 10, 2013 at 3:15 pm

I haven’t heard that, but it wouldn’t surprise me at all. There’s going to be trouble if they do…but I believe that is what they want.

Graham

9. Don Petross   October 10, 2013 at 11:17 am

Thank you all for the courage to stand up for the rights of many. As a veteran I appreciate all of your support and we all are brothers in arms it doesn’t matter if that ww1, ww2, Korean war, Viet Nam war, Desert Storm, Iraqi war, Afghanistan war. We were ask to to sacrifice when others wouldn’t. And what a disgrace by our politicians.Maybe its because the majority of them have never served in the military, much less serve the people as they took an oath to do. “They should remember how many of us there are. We will stand together”.

10. Donald Wright   October 10, 2013 at 9:41 am

If I could get someone to help me with gas. From Montgomery to DC and back will cost a little over $250.00. I want to drive up on Saturday and back Sunday evening. Will share a ride for gas money. I don’t have anything worked out for sleeping arrangements.

• Graham Noble   October 10, 2013 at 9:45 am

My advice would be to contact the organizers (‘source’ links at the bottom of the article). I’m sure that they know of some forums or other resources and may be able to point you in the right direction.

Graham

• Donald Wright   October 10, 2013 at 12:39 pm

Been trying that and everything else! I gota thumb! Maybe it’ll work!

11. marie stephens   October 9, 2013 at 8:05 pm

I am appalled and angered that our veterans have been treated in such a manner.I couldn’t believe it when I heard the families weren’t getting death benefits for the solders killed . I am ashamed of this government. We have no leadership in this country! Just big egos. God bless you all, and thank you for your sacrifice.

12. Sandy Lemons   October 9, 2013 at 11:58 am

Never in my lifetime did I think I would see the day that United States of America citizens would have to help defend World War II veterans in their quest to visit their very own memorial in Washington, D.C., and are being denied their rights to do so by the very Government they defended in the 1940’s. As the great-grandaughter of a Civil War Vet; the grandaughter of a World War I vet, the daughter of a World War II vet, the wife of a Vietnam vet as well as sister of a Vietnam vet, we should all be appalled and angered into pro-active measures to vote out all those involved.

13. Dennis Stovall   October 9, 2013 at 8:22 am

It’s push back time. God bless you all.

14. monica   October 8, 2013 at 11:32 pm

I hope u have a lot of people coming not a truck driver maybe u can get bikes involved with you or other groups to make an even bigger showing

• Graham Noble   October 8, 2013 at 11:35 pm

The truckers are inviting anyone who has a vehicle to go along.

15. Jenny Rose   October 8, 2013 at 10:53 pm

I can’t go to DC this weekend, but I will spend copious amounts of time in front of the Blessed Sacrament praying for the safety and the success of our veterans, truckers and patriots. Godspeed, and God Bless.

• Nancy Reid   October 11, 2013 at 5:26 am

God bless you!

16. Marvin Gordon   October 8, 2013 at 5:41 pm

G-D bless our American truckers. Average Americans who are angry with the fake phony fraud, arrogant, narcissistic community organizer in chief in the white house will be cheering on our truckers who will be representing common sense Americans. How can average Americans living in our country participate during that march? They are standing up for our constitution, and calling for Obama to step down as the president for the failure to lead our country with honor and bravery. We agree!! We agree!!