Final Fantasy X/X-2 HD Remaster Pushed to March 18 [Video] [Update]

Final Fantasy X HD

Final Fantasy X was the first final fantasy game on the PlayStation 2 and boy did it leave an impact. The game sold more than 1.4 million copies in pre-orders in Japan in just four days. The game warranted a sequel known as Final Fantasy X-2 and to this date has sold more than eight million copies. With the trend of putting out great games in high-definition it was only a matter of time before Final Fantasy X was included. Originally the U.S. was expected to receive the HD remaster of X and X-2 in December but now the date has been pushed back to March 18. Europe is slightly less fortunate, the release date for them has been pushed to March 21.

Final Fantasy X HD remaster

Square Enix not only said that the Final Fantasy X/ X-2 HD Remaster would be coming out for the PlayStation 3, but also the PlayStation Vita. However, when Square Enix announced that the delay would push the game to March, they did not include the PlayStation Vita version in that and currently it has no release date.

Both Final Fantasy X and Final Fantasy X-2 will be on the same disc and in HD. The graphics are not the only part to have been upgraded; the music, game’s menus, and battle interface have all seen some work as well. Those that played the international edition of Final Fantasy X are likely familiar with the 14 minute video Eternal Calm. This video goes more in-depth about the time between Final Fantasy X and Final Fantasy X-2. In addition to that the X-2 international content, Last Mission will also be on disc. Last Mission features two new dress spheres, the ability to capture monsters and characters from X and an additional mission.

Final Fantasy X/ X-2 HD Remaster case

The problem with this release is that it is not for the PlayStation 4 and the PlayStation 4 is not backwards compatible, meaning the PlayStation 4 will not be able to play Final Fantasy X/ X-2 HD Remaster. Since that is the case it is possible that the PlayStation Vita will see more sales for this game except for one small fact, we don’t know when it will be released for the PlayStation Vita.

Those that haven’t played Final Fantasy X should without a doubt pick up the HD version if they can. If you would like a sample of this enhanced visuals there is a spoiler-free trailer at the bottom of the article. A word of warning, Final Fantasy X-2 should not be played first and possibly shouldn’t be played at all. Both games give off different feels, while X is a constantly growing complexity, X-2 is a much more simple and more lackluster effort. That is not the say that X-2 does not have merit, but it drastically changes female protagonist Yuna as well as the combat system. Simply be prepared.

Final Fantasy X/ X-2 HD Remaster has been pushed the March 18 2014. When it comes out it will cost $39.99 and can be purchased digitally or physically. This HD remaster brings back the groundbreaking force that millions of gamers have enjoyed, in high-definition. Don’t miss your chance to experience or relive this icon of gaming history.

[Update] A number of new trailers have recently surfaced. Three are below showing off Rikku, limit breaks and Blitzball. These trailers do a more proper job of displaying the improved graphics than previously released trailers due to the amount of gameplay shown. Enjoy.

By Garrett Jutte

Web Pro News

Gamespot

Destructoid

9 Responses to "Final Fantasy X/X-2 HD Remaster Pushed to March 18 [Video] [Update]"

1. chess   December 12, 2013 at 10:12 am

I so much hate you people for pushing the date from 26th december to 18th march 2014 I have waited for many months now still you guyz are dulling my spirit on my most precious game on earth.screw you all

2. Ethan   November 25, 2013 at 7:11 pm

I hope that the graphics have actually improved…the trailer just looks like all of the cut scenes which already had very good graphics (as most FF games do).

I would have preferred a next gen version of FF7, my favorite of the FF games, it looks like they are just putting out the same game in a different package here to sell a bunch more copies without doing any actual work.

• Garrett Jutte   December 5, 2013 at 1:24 pm

Luckily new trailers have been released showing off more of the actual gameplay.

3. Wade Cardilini   November 25, 2013 at 9:49 am

I just want this to come out so bad,
    I don’t want to play my PS2 copys because then I feel I won’t want to play the HD version so bad.
    But golly, just give me this game!

I am probably the only person in the world to say this, but I f*cking LOVE FF X-2.
    Not just the game-play, but the fact that is a continuation of an amazing story. I feel it deserves a X-3 as well. It makes me unbelievably depressed that their will never be one… but god, these 2 games are climactic!

4. Fortune   November 23, 2013 at 7:09 pm

Been super excited for this since first revealed, just wish it wasn’t taking so damn long seems like a remaster of a completed game shouldn’t be so difficult but oh well. March it is I guess maybe ill dig out my original copy and play that a bit. Thanks for the update garrett and I completely agree x-2 definitely changes the feel of the game. Seems very geared towards girls as well a lot of the time.

5. Martin   November 21, 2013 at 4:37 pm

Also to correct: “Last Mission features two new dress spheres, the ability to capture monsters and characters from X and an additional mission.” – BOTH X-2 International and Last Mission includes the new dresspheres. Creature Create/capture is also a X-2 International feature.

I’ve played X-2 International before and the extra content is overwhelming. I never got the chance to fully explore it let alone Last Mission, being purely Japanese. I had no idea what I was doing on the 1st level of the 80-floor dungeon.

6. Martin   November 21, 2013 at 4:34 pm

Say all you want about X-2 but the battle system was HECK fun and more exciting than X’s.

7. Josh   November 21, 2013 at 11:01 am

ummm no the release date for the US was never told, the only and official date is March 18th, 2014 December was the release for the Japan date.