On her website, NeNe Leakes Official, Leakes, 45, said she had not been feeling well for a week and went to see her doctor. This is when she was diagnosed with blood clots and went into the hospital. She was reportedly informed by her doctor the blood clots developed as a result of her constant traveling. Leakes denied rumors she had suffered a heart attack. She posted a photo of herself in her hospital bed with her toddler granddaughter.
Leakes is now recovering at home with her husband and her family.
What causes blood clots?
In NeNe Leakes’s case, her blood clots could have led to pulmonary embolism. She took preventive action by seeing her doctor when she was not feeling well. She appeared to be aware enough of her symptoms to realize the potential danger of them enough to seek medical counsel. This most likely saved her life.
According to WebMD, blood clots that lead to pulmonary embolism can be fatal. Symptoms can include sharp chest pain, sudden shortness of breath, and a cough that produces pink mucus.
You are at risk of a pulmonary embolism if you are inactive for a period (due to surgery, hospital stays, illness, etc.), have a disease (such as cancer, heart failure, stroke), pregnant or recently gave birth to a child, smoking, or taking oral contraceptives or hormone therapy. You are also at risk if you are above age 70 and obese.
If you have any of these risk factors and you exhibit the above-mentioned symptoms, it is important to see your doctor right away.
To prevent blood clots that could lead to a pulmonary embolism or blood clots in the legs:
- Avoid sitting for long periods. If you work at a computer or a desk job all day, stand up every hour and walk around for a brief period. Or get a standing desk.
- Wear compression stockings.
- If you take blood thinners, take them exactly as prescribed.
- If you have surgery, make a point of moving your body as soon as possible. If you have an IV in, take it with you and walk the hospital corridor if you can. The important thing is to move.
- If you are traveling, stay well hydrated. Avoid alcohol and caffeine. Try to drink plenty of water.
Notable NeNe Quotes
“I’m just a real person and I tell it like it is. I don’t have a lot of secrets, which has been a fault of mine.”
“Let me get you to understand I don’t bully anybody. I stand up for what I believe in and I’m very honest and I always tell the truth. I’m not a liar, I’m not manipulative and I don’t stab you in your back because I will stab you in your chest.”
“When you watch these reality shows, the person that is hated on the most is usually the one that gets the most shine.”
By Juana Poareo