New Season: ‘Finding Bigfoot’ Begins Tonight

Could this be the year they find it?

finding bigfoot

This week (November 10, 2013 to be exact) the new season of “Finding Bigfoot” begins on Animal Planet. This will be the fourth season of the show, which follows a team of researchers who are on the trail of Bigfoot – or “Squatch,” as they like to refer to it – a large, hairy ape-like creature which walks upright and roams around various parts of the world.

I have to admit I am fascinated by these types of shows, whether it is a team looking for Big Foot, the Moss Man or the red-eyed Devil Dog in New Jersey. Let me start by saying I don’t either believe or disbelieve in any of these phenomena; I am of the school which says, “I don’t believe in them and I want to keep it that way, so don’t prove to me otherwise.” In other words, they could exist; but I would rather not have one standing in front of me so I can be really sure.

The shows all follow the same general format. The team of experts gets a call from someone who has seen or heard their prey, usually accompanied by a video , and they head out to investigate. The team first meets with the eyewitness, who takes them to the scene of the encounter, and they proceed to investigate whether or not the video is real. They do this by calculating where the videographer was standing and where the Squatch was. They send the largest member of the team, James “Bo Bo” Fay, to the spot where the creature was and recreate the video. They then analyze the video and the one skeptic in the group, Ranae Holland, always says she isn’t convinced. Then, off to the local Fire Hall or Community Center for all the local residents to share their Squatch stories. The team then goes to the “Squatchiest” places to further hunt. Got it?

In three seasons, they have yet to find conclusive evidence proving that Big Foot exists; but – and this is a big butt (yes, pun intended) – they have yet to disprove it exists either, unlike my other favorite unexplained phenomenon show, “Ghost Hunters” where they actually do prove, at least to my satisfaction, whether a place is haunted or not. The “Finding Bigfoot” team will come across evidence – such as the previously mentioned videos, tracks and even purported “Squatch nests” – which could be real or could be faked. Unlike when it comes to ghosts, there is no easy way to prove whether this evidence is real or not. Footprints can and have been faked, as have videos and even, I am sure, the nests. Unless the team was going to go to the elaborate, and I imagine expensive, process of doing some kind of DNA testing checking for non-human traces, there probably is no way to determine the authenticity.

According to the Bigfoot Field Researchers Organization (BFRO), it is impossible to chronicle how many bigfoot sightings there have been. They estimate in North America alone there have been anywhere from 2,000 – 6,000 sightings, with no time period given for this estimate. The organization does say there have been reports for over 400 years from people of “unimpeachable character.” The four team members on “Finding Bigfoot” are all members of this organization, which has a quite extensive database of Bigfoot sightings and reports. Since there have been three sightings not far from where I live, I will be keeping my eyes and ears open. The founder of the FBRO is Matt Moneymaker.  Yup, that is his name; take from it what you would like.

Back to the show, after hearing the reports from the locals, the team picks three or four of the ones they consider to be the most reliable and they go to the scenes of these encounters.  They then pick one area to search further. This first includes a daytime search for evidence, using locals for “boots on the ground.” There is the usual dissension in the ranks when they find some kind of evidence, with Ranae saying the evidence is inconclusive and Cliff Barackman saying it is proof. This follows with a return to the area at night.

During the night expedition, there is the obligatory sound of a Squatch  howling off in the distance, the sound of something crashing through the woods and a rock or stick which is thrown at the team. But, no Squatch has been found yet; and, I can only assume, since the show is taped, that none will be found this season.

Is Bigfoot real? I can’t say for sure. I am pretty certain the people on “Finding Bigfoot” believe it is, and they do present some convincing evidence; but, until the one living over on the other side of that hill from me knocks on my door, I’ll remain a skeptic and be satisfied to watch the show and wait for definitive proof.

By Paul Roy

Finding Bigfoot – Animal Planet

Bigfoot Research Organization

12 Responses to "New Season: ‘Finding Bigfoot’ Begins Tonight"

1. Sheila Pleasant   February 16, 2014 at 3:05 pm

I do enjoy watching finding Bigfoot, but O really do think if they want to be very serious, they need to set up blinds, stay quite and hide their human smells like true deer hunters. But I have to admit I hope they get their beast.

2. Susan   December 29, 2013 at 7:41 pm

I would like to know if Ranae funds Finding Bigfoot. If not, why do they keep her on the show. She is a huge hinderence to the show. A real pain.

3. jstam48Earl   November 24, 2013 at 12:13 pm

Just saw Devil Dog of Logan County. I have a couple of thoughts/questions for the Bigfoot team. Since they’ve heard “Squatches” all over, I was wondering if they could listen to the sound track of “Devil Dog..” and make a determination about the howl made by these creatures in terms of comparing them with the Bigfoot howl?? Also, I remember one episode of Big Foot where there was some slaugter of animals, really out of place for normal behavior for Big Foot (at least from what we’ve been shown) that seemed to resemble, very closely, the same type of strange strategy and wounds exhibited by a Devil Dog attack.

Also, “Devil Dog” must have sponsors with deep pockets. The auditory recordings made by the team tracking Devil Dog were 10 times superior to anything the Big Foot team has recorded. This would help my flagging interest. You can only hold an audiance so long on “program endings like “Oh, I think I heard a branch snap,” or “I think I heard a mouse fart,” teasers.

4. dustin wilkins   November 18, 2013 at 8:18 pm

cliff shld do his own show!!!!! and dump the kiddys off and the sitters!!!!!!

5. jay   November 12, 2013 at 4:31 pm

The squach team should start a wolf tagging program with cameras. The wolves seem to present at every recording of a squach yell. Perhaps they hunt together

6. Judy Ann   November 12, 2013 at 1:17 am

Since bigfoot likes to listen to children playing as BO BO thinks then why don’t they use them as “bait” as he called them…OR since they think these animals are so smart and aware of their surroundings then why not put their video cameras up above on a tree limb looking DOWN at the landscape…eye level on a tree trunk is pretty obivious to a SMART AWARE animal….Also they have heard many reports of these bigfoots liking HOGS so why not set them up as bait? surely you can get some of the wild hogs for free and instead of going into the woods with all your noise and camera lights and staying for a few minutes here and running around all over the woods banging on trees…be still and camp out for a few days lather up with scent killer and get REAL….it just appears to me that you guys are just spending money and making sensational tv drama! and I like others have said above it is getting tiresome watching you guys run around finding NOTHING…doing NOTHING except wasting time and money!

7. Judy Ann   November 12, 2013 at 1:05 am

Ranae really aggravates me…she doesn’t believe ANYTHING anybody says..insinuates the people are lying without outright saying they are lying..but yet she gets upset when she HEARS a snap or crackle beside her…she says I HEARD THAT..I did! I heard that!! yet others are liars!! Well this is what I say to her…I just hope Ranae that NO ONE believes YOU when you finally get a real look see for yourself at a unknown animal then you can screech all you want to that YOU SAW IT and see how you like being told that your story sounds unbelievable to those of us, who like you, didn’t SEE what those people saw!! Your show is about trying to find (bigfoot) what people are seeing…so why can’t you just revise the way you answer…tone the liar thing down—People believe what they saw and some of those people have lived and hunted in the woods a lot longer than you have lived on earth and they KNOW what a bear is, or a monkey or whatever else you try to make us think they saw! YOU are just to present the story and let us decide if the story sounds feasible or not —not call people liars!!

8. GZ   November 11, 2013 at 5:55 pm

I love the show, but its getting a little old. “Did you hear that?” But never any real results. I think the SPIKE TV series is going to be better.

9. Johnny   November 11, 2013 at 5:45 am

My favorite part was the guy at the town hall meeting who told of seeing Bigfoot, and added, “I was sobbing uncontrollably and I evacuated my kidneys.” LOL.

• Paul Roy   November 11, 2013 at 6:40 am

Thanks for your comment, and I agree, that was pretty funny. I’m still waiting to see what would happen if they actually find one.

10. Greg Aten   November 11, 2013 at 2:37 am

Another wasted hour watching this crap of a show

• Paul Roy   November 11, 2013 at 6:41 am

Thank you for your comment. I look at it as an hour to get away from the real world for a bit.