Fast & Furious 7 Time to Pull the Spark Plug?

Fast & Furious 7 Time to Pull the Spark Plug?

The horrific, and tragic, death of 40 year-old Paul Walker has stunned the world; it also threw a wrench into the works of Fast & Furious 7, perhaps this is a sign that it’s time to pull the spark plug from this long running franchise.

As in any Hollywood production the real world passing of a major character leaves a hole in the film. The popular Fast & Furious franchise has stumbled to a halt while the film’s producers attempt to get around the demise of an equally popular actor and the character he played in the series.

There is no doubt that the films are popular. Even with some of the installments “losing their way,” as implied by Vin Diesel, each of the sequels have made the studios serious money. Walker, who has actually been in all the films except for Fast & Furious: Tokyo Drift, was a constant. The actor played Brian O’Conner in each one and he was a constant appearing in more of the franchise’s installments than Vin Diesel.

The rise of each new film’s box office take proved, to the studios at least, that this well still had plenty of water in it. A total of seven films with six being “direct” sequels and one, Tokyo Drift as a sort of parallel installment, have been made. To the studios and producers these super car films with their family message equalled easy money; a guaranteed return on an ever increasing investment.

Filming started on the seventh sequel in the franchise September this year. Director James Wan had been brought in to add a new perspective to the film and number eight in the franchise had already been approved by the Hollywood money men. Then Fast & Furious 7 hit a massive stumbling block. A major character’s death meant that Universal Pictures would have to seriously consider pulling the spark plug on this popular money maker.

The studio is scrambling to come up with a solution that will satisfy everyone. Rumors have circulated the world wide web with speculations of just who will step into Brian O’Conner’s driver’s seat. Justin Bieber was the first celebrity name mentioned, but, that turned out to be a misunderstanding. Ludacris had “promised” the Canadian pop star a part in one of the Fast & Furious films and a fan-made trailer starring Bieber completed the mis-information.

While fans of both the franchise and Walker breathed a sigh of relief, statements were released from both James Wan and Universal Pictures that said they would complete the seventh film and do so in a respectful way that would honor Paul Walker. Talks are underway to use Walker’s younger brother Cody, who uncannily resembles his late brother, to fill in the hole left by Paul’s death.

The script for Fast & Furious 7 is being rewritten and talk about Cody’s participation ranges from his literally stepping into the part of Brian O’Conner as Paul and having his brother’s features recreated via CGI or playing Brian’s brother. The latter possibility centers on the studios focus on the character’s film death and moving the story forward that way.

With all the focus on the film centering on losing Walker, the seventh in the franchise is the most talked about 2014 film. The main question that seems to be studiously ignored by the studio and producers of the franchise is whether or not it is time to pull the spark plug on this muscle car series. Just how many sequels are too many? Barring the death of any other actors in the franchise, when will they be too old to “realistically” fit their character’s bios. It seems that Paul Walker’s tragic death may be a sign that the franchise should end after number seven.

By Michael Smith
United Kingdom

Source:

Liberty Voice

IMDb

18 Responses to "Fast & Furious 7 Time to Pull the Spark Plug?"

1. sHANE hoLMES   June 4, 2014 at 8:42 pm

Im the original creator, we are with solicators about contract non payment from cNBC Universal. The Script has never been paid for, there is another Tokyo 2, Australia Drift and burn, more café scenes, I SACKED LIM AND GAVE HIM A PAY OUT

2. linda   January 11, 2014 at 4:57 pm

Paul will forever be in my heart, and I will always have his movies to remind me just how much I loved fast and furious, it diesnt matter how or who they get to replace him in fast 7, we all know Paul you will be dearly missed by us all. Rip Paul, we love you and will keep your family in our prayers.

3. Sxe Lxe   December 20, 2013 at 6:12 pm

The show must go on for the sheer respect of Paul Walker? No. It should end out of respect. I’m a fan of the franchise and watched them for Vin but fell in love with Paul. Didn’t do Tokyo Drift because neither of them were in it. It’s just not going to be the same for me with him gone. I realize that’s not the consensus here, but F&F without Paul Walker is too painful. It should end with 7.

4. Bone   December 20, 2013 at 2:26 am

Depending what footage they have maybe they can send o’connor out for the whole movie and then jus end the movie with him coming back to take care of mia and baby

5. Jeanette   December 19, 2013 at 10:17 pm

I truly believe the film should go on. If it stops at 7, thats ok. But please do not pull the plug on it in honor of Paul Walker. I have a couple ideas, some may have posted it already…I agree with Cody Walker stepping in, (playing Brian O’Conner’s brother would be a good idea) but nobody can replace the Brian O’Connor character. Either somehow something could happen and Brian has to take Mia and the baby away to keep them protected, or maybe from a above comment a CGI Paul Walker like they did with Brandon Lee in The Crow. They would have to do a lot of editing but I believe it would work. Lucas Black’s character can step in and not replace Brian O’Conner but step in for him as Sean Boswell and he could run with a new character (brother of Brian O’Conner) played by Cody Walker along with Vin Desil and the rest of the cast..Just a thought…something to think about..

Rest In Paradise, Paul Walker, you are dearly missed..

6. Mike   December 19, 2013 at 8:30 pm

I have watched these movies more times than I could tell you, 1 and 5 especially.
    Keep all of Paul’s footage and infill with another similar looking actor, no story changes. We all know what happened so if Brian changes slightly over the movie we can look past this. Even someone like Eric Christian Olsen will do or Cody. RIP Paul

7. Ravi Parekh   December 19, 2013 at 4:29 pm

They need to make it to honour Paul Walker, Fast and Furious was his legacy. They just need to give it a good ending, even if it involves a CGI Paul Walker or something. If there is a Fast 8 or not I don’t care, at least give him this movie

8. Jeff   December 19, 2013 at 4:15 pm

First and foremost RIP Paul Walker. Second, who writes an article like this? Must not be a fan for sure, but more importantly what information would you be using to base the decision to pull the plug? Other than Paul’s death? Since the last installment made roughly $800 million worldwide… Clearly it’s popularity has not declined… I think 7 would be bigger simply due to the fact people would like to see Paul in his last role.. dumb article that I’m sorry I even gave my time to read…

9. Kylie   December 19, 2013 at 2:57 pm

they shouldn’y pull the plug on the franchise at all what they should do is get someone that looks like paul from behind get him, mia and jack in a car and they drive off as dom doesn’t think it’s safe enough with Stathams character. Or they do maybe at the end of the film after getting stathams character do a 1 month later thing and be a Brian’s funeral, but in all honesty that would be heart breaking. I’d want the Brian O’Connor role to still be alive because I can’t see him die.

R.I.P Paul you will are terribly missed xx

10. fast8   December 19, 2013 at 2:26 pm

I think that the movie should go on.
    I know that the death of Paul Walker did hurt allot on people on earth , but they should let Cody walker go as Brian O’Conner’s brother to take revenge after his brother death.
    And i agree that if Cody Walker takes that responsibillity of acting, he and Dom can take care of Mia and Jack.

Rest In Piece Paul Walker you will really be missed…

11. Stephen   December 19, 2013 at 1:34 pm

hell no, you cant pull the plug, i smell haters that hate because it is so successful, even 5 and 6 sequels down the line

12. John   December 19, 2013 at 1:31 pm

It is a shame that he died I relay liked him but don’t stop know do you think that he would want you to stop you could put the same actor in Tokyo drift to fill his spot
    I know it hard to deal with this but all the other fans would love if you could continue i know I would.

R.I.P Paul Walker you were my hero
    I am not messing

13. ray   December 19, 2013 at 1:11 pm

R.I.P Paul Walker i think they should finish fast 7 off and continue the Fast franchise as respect to Paul Walker and let Cody walker step up to the pedal

14. tharwad   December 19, 2013 at 12:13 pm

I am a very big fan of fast and furious I love fast cars….paul walker and vin desiel made the movies more exciting with there friendship..you should let the movie go on…not end it paul walker left a legacy behind….dont let this legacy stop…he worked hard…cody is a best option for takin his brothers place…this will be a great honour to his brother…dont let it end by 7 the legacy must go on…

15. L   December 19, 2013 at 11:52 am

RIP Paul Walker! The show must go on and there is no one better than Cody Walker to step in and finish what Paul started with the 7th and perhaps even take on a role as Brian O’Connor’s brother in the film. Fast and Furious 7 should be the biggest and best ever In Memory of Paul Walker.

16. Evan   December 19, 2013 at 10:26 am

I think they should have Cody Walker finish the movie as Paul and then make him a character in the film if he acting is good enough. Maybe he can be out for revenge on his brothers death.He can take care of Mia and the baby.

17. blake   December 19, 2013 at 10:16 am

I agree! It’s not right to move on with something Paul walker started. It’s not right. Finish the 7th. Make it the biggest film ever and end it!

18. G   December 19, 2013 at 8:30 am

I guess the writer of this old news is not a fan of the franchise. Paul Walker the legend RIP. The show must go on for the sheer respect for Paul Walker as this is what he would of wanted. The studio should do what they can and salvage the movie with Paul’s footage and work with his brother and continue the franchise !