It’s Not ‘Happy Holidays’ It’s ‘Merry Christmas’

Merry Christmas

“It’s not ‘Happy Holidays’, it’s ‘Merry Christmas’ and I’m not afraid to say it!” That’s the refrain of countless people as the big day approaches. The one question that arises in some people’s minds is: why?

Why is it only “Merry Christmas” and not also, say, “Happy Chanukah,” “Happy Diwali,” “Good Solstice,” “Joyous Kwanza” or “Happy Holidays?” Why is one way the only way to share good wishes with someone, especially if the person is a stranger? Do some people feel that what they celebrate is the only important holiday worthy of a greeting? Do they feel as though everyone else’s customs, traditions and deeply held beliefs are simply something to be ignored or even mocked?

If so, why?

Do some people actually march through life thinking that their perspectives and celebrations are the only things that really matter, and that everyone else deserves to treated as though they are invisible?

Newsflash: Not everyone celebrates Christmas.

Some people celebrate different holidays altogether, and some people don’t celebrate at all. Why do some people choose exclusion over inclusion by insisting that “it’s not ‘Happy Holidays, it’s Merry Christmas’” and pronouncing their decision to anyone and everyone; strangers and friends alike? Why do Jewish people and others who celebrate something different have to see these (quite frankly, rude) announcements on Facebook? For those who don’t celebrate, or even those who have a spouse who doesn’t celebrate Christmas or who celebrates something else, these announcements feel like a slap in the face. It’s a slap that says “you’re not important; in fact, your culture and traditions are garbage.”

Actually, let’s forget the metaphorical slap and instead talk about the actual punch in the face a woman received for saying “Happy Holidays.” A Salvation Army bell ringer was standing outside a store doing her job when she said “Happy Holidays” to a woman passing by. The woman landed a left hook to the bell ringer’s face, saying “Do you believe in God? You’re supposed to say Merry Christmas!”

Of course, this is an extreme example, but it shows just how out of control our society has gotten when it comes to this “debate.”

A recent poll of Americans showed that the majority of people who feel that “Merry Christmas” is the only acceptable holiday greeting are generally over the age of 45 and of the Republican persuasion.  Why is that, exactly?

The truth is, the attitude that “it’s Merry Christmas, it’s not Happy Holidays” hurts people’s feelings. No, really. It does. It makes people feel as though they’re being told they don’t even exist. Is that what Jesus would have wanted? Is that how he would have acted?

Our culture needs to return to the rules we learned in Kindergarten: be kind to your friends and neighbors; treat others as you would like to be treated; be respectful to everyone around you.

Knowing that it makes people feel bad and hurt when others insist on saying only “Merry Christmas” should be enough to make the ones insisting upon that exclusive phrase reconsider their decision. Therefore, if someone is Christian, say “Merry Christmas;” if someone is Jewish, say “Happy Chanukah” and so forth. If the person’s religion or chosen cultural tradition is unknown, say “Happy Holidays” or “Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays.” See? Inclusion; it’s a great thing, and it’s easy, too!

Don’t be the mean kids in high school who formed a nasty little clique and kept the uncool kids out; be the class president who was beloved by everyone because he or she made everyone feel included. Be a leader. Reach out to those who may not share your exact religion, traditions, beliefs or perspectives. Who knows? You may just learn something new.

“It’s not ‘Merry Christmas,’ it’s ‘Happy Holidays’ and I’m not afraid to say it” is for mean folks. Don’t be mean. It’s really not what Jesus would have wanted anyway.

Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays. May everyone enjoy their cultural traditions and be prosperous, healthy and joyful in the new year.

An Editorial By: Rebecca Savastio

NJ

Huffington Post

ABC

76 Responses to "It’s Not ‘Happy Holidays’ It’s ‘Merry Christmas’"

1. Vinod   December 25, 2015 at 8:24 am

Its Rubbish. Its always Merry Christmas. Holidays is something we refer we go on a vacation lol. This is coming from a Hindu 🙂

2. bobstruth   December 31, 2013 at 10:06 pm

I guess the point is lost on many if you who persist in using that “happy holidays”.
    No wonder kids these days are brought up feeling entitled.
    There is NO insult in wishing someone well wishes for a celebration you observe. What utter nonsense.
    Do we stop saying happy birthday or other celebrations? What a sad world we live in when I can’t wish someone well. Doesn’t matter if I don’t celebrate Diwali, Yule, etc. Wish me well without fear…we celebrate in hopes others will share in that feeling.
    But the point is missed in this new era. Sad…

• still_lynne   January 2, 2014 at 4:58 am

I guess the point of the article has been lost completely on you.

Where in the article does she say YOU can’t wish someone whatever the heck you want to wish them?

The point of the article is that you do not have the right to dictate to other people what THEY wish to say.

Yeesh.

3. Kamden   December 27, 2013 at 7:46 am

As A Christian It’s My Right To say Merry Christmas. If You Don’t Like It And Are Hurt, Think About How Hurtful It Could Be To Be forced To Say The Meaningless, Secular “Happy Holidays”. If You Don’t Like It, Ignore It. No, I Don’t Condone Violent Behaviour Due To Any Beliefs. Merry ChristmS And A Happy New Year!

• still_lynne   December 28, 2013 at 7:19 am

Why don’t you try reading the actual article?

Nobody is trying to stop YOU from saying anything you want. The issue is when Christians try to force everyone else to say the same things they do.

4. revjim   December 25, 2013 at 5:38 pm

It’s really simple. When people live in a Free Country with Freedom to greet each other in their own tradition and culture. Other people who come into your country are not trying to stop you. As for example, if you go to Israel or Islamic countries it would be disrespectful to require them to stop their traditional greeting or to wish them a Merry Christmas unless of course they were Christian. So why do it to Christian Tradition and Culture??

5. asdd   December 25, 2013 at 3:46 pm

No doubt there are certain lobbyists (you know who you are lol) pushing for a ban on Christmas spirit.

6. jburger   December 25, 2013 at 2:16 pm

Lord Willin may we indeed strive, here and abroad, to be a Christian nation, in service unto Lord and neighbor, PLGB http://www.Bible.cc Lord Willin Lord Forgive

7. Eddie Gallacher   December 25, 2013 at 5:50 am

Christmas should be moved to the end of February. That way people can say “happy Christmas” without fear of offence to any other celebration and we can go into work on the 25 December. But, what would happen is that Coca Cola’s Santa and every shop on the planet would unashamedly switch allegiance to the new Christmas and we’d be back where we started again…

8. John   December 24, 2013 at 2:57 pm

Hey Rebecca… I have no problem with the basic premiss of your article… being inclusive, rather than exclusive… definitely a good thing. And I’d actually have gave you a thumbs up for it. But, as I say, (and it’s only my opinion of course)… you seemed to approach the piece from “Merry Christmas” being the bad guy. The negative examples you used and statistics you used (as I noted, only used concerning “Merry Christmas”) do come across as biased to me. The knee-jerk reaction of people is because see examples of what they can and what they can’t do any more in the name of PC… and sometimes they disagree, sometimes wrongly, sometimes with justification.

For example… my local council no longer allows cards in their offices, which specifically say “Merry Christmas”. Sorry, I just don’t get that. And they didn’t introduce that measure because they had been getting complaints from non-Christian members of staff. It was introduced just in case anyone might ever be offended by the phrase… at a time when no one had been… that’s the kind of PC I can’t fathom or indeed condone. And yes. I realize you weren’t advocating anything like that in your article.

But that kind of thing does get people’s backs up. And can make then a wee bitty sensitive.

I’m sure you really do believe in being inclusive, as indeed do I… as any decent person should. But being inclusive means not alienating one group to appease the whole. That’s never gonna work. Of course punching somebody because they say “Happy Holidays” rather than “Merry Christmas” is just crazy. But I’m sure we could find just as crazy examples on the other side of the fence so to speak.

Write your piece without singling out “Merry Christmas” and people will applaud you. You’re always going to get negative reactions if people feel they’re being attacked, even if that’s not the intention.

Me?… I’m actually a non-Christian, tho brought up in a non-practising Christian household, so I don’t have any Christian axe to grind here. Of course. I grew up with the western Christmas tradition all around me… and so do celebrate Christmas… from the Santa Claus, Dreamin’ of a White Christmas angle… LOL

I of course hate the commercialization of Christmas here in the west… I’m more of “Christmas Carol” celebrator… Old Scrooge might not have been so wrong after all when he refused to spend a penny at Christmas… tee, hee, hee

So I wasn’t defending “Merry Christmas” as such, but the ever so negative way you approached your article in the name of inclusiveness. That kind of approach is probably always gonna get a negative reaction from folks.

But approach things from the positive side and folks will sit up and take notice, and maybe even say…

“Yeah… that girl is darn right. Well done, Rebecca” 😉

Regards
    John

BTW, Rebecca… I rarely get involved in debates online, even when I see/read something I have issue with. So… kudos to you for getting me to participate in this debate… and on Christmas Eve too. I should really be tucked up in bed waiting for Santa to come (in ljust over an hour here in the UK)

In fact, I think I hear the sound of sleigh bells ringing as I write… 🙂

Have a great Christmas… may it be happy, merry, and with a little luck… Let it snow, let it snow, let it snow… 🙂

9. midian30   December 24, 2013 at 2:42 pm

When I was growing up in the ’70’s people always said “Happy Holidays” simply because there were three holidays (Thanksgiving, Christmas, and New Years) so close together. After all, it’s the holiday season, right? No one thought anything about it. They weren’t intentionally removing Christ from Christmas any more than they were removing Thanks from Thanksgiving or New from New Year. They were simply wishing you a happy holiday season. So the next time someone says “Happy Holidays” to you, don’t take it so personal. It’s not an attack on your religious beliefs. Perhaps that person truly wants you to have an entire month of happy days.

10. Rita Pheiffer   December 24, 2013 at 1:49 pm

Sad thing is that Yeshua was a Jew. He never Celebrated Christmas but did celebrate Chanukah and Sukkot (which is when he was born). So I don’t get why Christian people celebrate on this day?

• Adriaan Arends   December 24, 2013 at 2:42 pm

Thank you Rita, somebody with knowledge. we, as Christians celebrate the birth of Jesus on exactly the same day as a heathen day because the heathen celebrated their god, when Augistinus declared that same day as Christmas.

11. Rebecca Savastio   December 24, 2013 at 1:14 pm

John, you’re wrong. As the author and as such the one who knows my true intent in my heart, this article is not negative against Christmas; not at all. Didn’t you see the part where I say “if someone is Christian, say Merry Christmas”??? Yes, I intended to say “be inclusive.” Inclusive means Christmas AND IN ADDITION, all the other holidays AS WELL. I find it bizarre in the extreme that asking people to be inclusive causes such a knee-jerk, reaction. As one person just said to me “It’s tribal, they just want to assert dominance for their tribe. No deeper.” Why must ONE “tribe” be dominant? The only “wolves in sheep’s clothing” here are the people who feel that THEIR holiday is the dominant holiday and who refuse to acknowledge other people in a respectful way.

12. John   December 24, 2013 at 1:06 pm

Again people seem to be pointing out people not reading what the author was saying here. True, there is an element of that, and some folks may have jumped in without reading the article propel;y… but this is probably due to a knee-jerk reaction… a quite understandable knee-jerk reaction… as I’ll explain shortly.

To those that say read the article properly and with comments like lack of reading comprehension. Well, people’s mis-reading the article does not necessarily invalidate their point… and I’m sure most if not all of the mis-readers are probably highly intelligent, well-read folks and wouldn’t take to kindly to being labelled as having a lack of reading ability.

To everyone… yes, do read *re-read even) the article carefully. It’s not an un-biased piece saying we should all respect each others beliefs… which of course is a good thing. No. It actually singles out the long established Christian tradition of celebrating Christmas. In particular the phrase “Merry Christmas” is singled out, and singled out very negatively… and that’s just plain wrong… and in my opinion quite worrying.

As an interesting aside… I’ve been wished a “Merry Christmas” twice already today. No. Actually 3 times. Once by my friends in a local grocer store… their Indian/British… next by the owner of a local computer/mobile/cell phone shop… he’s Asian… Indian to I think, not 100% sure… and lastly, by another local shop owner… again Indian. I don’t know if any of them celebrate Christmas as such… probably not… but the point is, they still wished me a “Merry Christmas”… just as I’ve wished other folks well on days they celebrate which I don’t… again all good.

No this article is not about that at all. It’s not about being inclusive, let’s all get along and live in peace together. It’s a sheep in wolves clothing. Read it thoroughly with no agenda and you’ll see how it’s actually slanted against Christmas as celebrated by millions of people. It is indeed about political correctness… and not of the good kind… rather of the biased kind. This kind of nonsense can be seen more and more. And quite frankly, it really does worry me, especially when I see decent folks being complicit in this type of thing.

But… it’s Christmas Eve hers as I write… and not wanting to end on a negative note… as my Indian friends said to me today… have a very “Merry Christmas” everyone… even if it’s not a holiday you celebrate… and no I won’t be upset if you say “Happy Holidays” to me… :-))

John… :-))

13. Joe   December 24, 2013 at 10:59 am

Real inclusion requires actual inclusion, not some sloppy, generic catch-all cobbled together with sticky tape. The real offense is the exclusion of the specific holiday under consideration. If you are going to be inclusive, then when appropriate say them all–and be aware of your constituency.

14. Rebecca Savastio   December 24, 2013 at 9:56 am

Hmm, I didn’t know that being respectful and polite to others and taking their beliefs into account was now called “political correctness.” Well, ya learn something new every day. To the commenters who pointed out people’s complete lack of reading comprehension: you hit the nail on the head 😉

15. nancy   December 24, 2013 at 9:50 am

I think your being rediculous,Merry Christmas And that will never change,alwas has been alwas will,get over yourself

16. Bree   December 24, 2013 at 9:50 am

So many of you have missed the entire point of this article i am laughing so hard. Re-read the article again and see that you dont need to act like its personally attacking your beliefs.

17. John C   December 24, 2013 at 5:59 am

Ok… I’ll try posting this without the typos this time… 🙂

Oh my god!!! (OMG for short – lol) – That’s a non-denominational OMG btw, Rebecca.

How much more of this sanitized, politically-correct nonsense do us normal, decent, people have to listen to. It seems to be everywhere you turn these days. Now we’re having a debate about the rights and wrongs of Merry versus Happy…. Christmas versus Holidays. Are you really serious.

Jesus H Chri… oops better not say that… might offend someone… LOL…

Unbelievable!!!… Disclaimer: if I wish you a Merry Christmas this year it’s not because I was being exclusive or religion-centric… it’s just that I wanted to wish you a Merry Christmas… look both words up in a dictionary. They’ve been around a while.

*shakes head in utter disbelief*

************************************************
    “A Merry Christmas to one and all. And to all a Merry Christmas”

“Bah Humbug!!!”
    ************************************************
    From “A Holiday Carol” – By Charles Dickens… ROFL

And once again my thoughts on this article can be summed up in those 3 little words… “Oh My God!!!”… tee, hee, hee

Postscript: I noticed some commentators pointing out that Rebecca isn’t saying you shouldn’t say Merry Christmas, but that she’s getting at people who think that Merry Christmas is the only greeting that’s valid. Oh, no she’s not… she’s only written a piece that hides itself in that guise. Her extreme examples (which she does acknowledge as such)… for instance: of people who literally punch folks in the face for saying Happy Holidays instead of Merry Christmas… is/are designed to evoke a reaction in the hordes of sheep out there. A reaction something like this perhaps, Rebecca?

“Oh my… that’s awful. I really must stop saying Merry Christmas”

That’s how the best propaganda works… by being insidious. Rebecca herself might not even realize she’s doing it, but she is. Wake up people, open your eyes.

Oh… and I love your use of “Newsflash” there, Rebecca. A word designed to imply that what follows it is the truth, and that what you may have believed is a lie, or wrong… not the truth. After all… if it’s a Newsflash it must be true.

Sadly tho, that kind of literary hook seems to work with a lot of people. Wake up and smell the coffee folks.

Or maybe I should say… “Newsflash:” wake up and smell the coffee folks… LOL

Oh btw… to be completely inclusive I guess my reference to “A Holiday Carol” should really be…

“A Holiday Sing-a-long”… by Charles Dickens… LOL

And finally, let me just add… “Be most excellent to each other.” and “Party on, dudes!!!”

*big silly grin*

PS: Hey… Is it ok to say “dude” these days? There’s not any group out there who might be offended by it is there? If so, please send me a postcard and I’ll stop using it immediately… LMAO

18. John Bowden   December 24, 2013 at 5:59 am

When is the last time you heard someone say Happy Holidays during Ramadan or on Vesak? Saying Happy Holidays at this time of the year is just a way the non-Christian world is trying to diminish a Christian holiday. If you are offended by the Christian celebration, don’t participate. Don’t put up lights, don’t put up a tree, don’t buy presents. Stand proudly in your non-belief and ignore the holiday. Same as you would Ramadan or Vesak (unless you are Muslim or Buddhist).

• MK   December 24, 2013 at 9:57 am

Newsflash…not everyone understands sarcasm.

19. Doug Jones   December 24, 2013 at 5:37 am

I’m sure even if I wore a badge with “It’s OK to wish me Merry Christmas” it would just not be PC enough for some folks. Sometimes I have fun and reply to Happy Holidays with which Holy Day do you celebrate ? The usual non reply needs a “Have fun anyway ” follow up. Just trying to make folks think a little and not make them miss out on the celebration that is open to all. I used to think I enjoyed Christmas before I met Christ. But now its a celebration. Sorry, if you choose not to join the party. I fully respect your choice……but you should respect mine for trying to invite you.

20. Dianne   December 24, 2013 at 5:32 am

Today the kids in school are taught to respect all religions. Christmas Day is a Christian celebration , which unfortunately has lost it’s true meaning due to commercialisation. But without Christianity there would be no Christmas. So respect our religion as we are taught to repect yours and I wish you ALL a Very Merry Christmas. My thoughts are also with those who for many reasons will not be having such a Merry Christmas.

21. johnfromstaffs   December 24, 2013 at 5:18 am

I am 65 years old, English and proud of it, and say what the hell I like when the hell I like. Merry Christmas to all!

22. Shwaman   December 24, 2013 at 5:03 am

The issue isn’t so much with Happy Holidays as a Christmas greeting. It is the extreme political correctness of people putting up a tree and getting almost offended if you call it a Christmas Tree, “no, it is a Holiday Tree” they will say. Or here in Canada a public school had the Kids sing Silent Night, and changed or removed words, to deChristian the song. Kinda nuts really. Oh well, I guess Christmas will have to return to it’s Pagan Roots someday, Sometimes I think that would not be so bad.

23. Shane   December 24, 2013 at 5:03 am

“Happy holidays” is a meaningless catch-all phrase. I’m an atheist, and always have been – but *what* is being celebrated right now, at this precise time of year? Christmas! I don’t care what faith people have – or if they have none, like me – but I definitely believe in paying each one the respect that they deserve. Here in Ireland – which is, don’t forget, a broadly Socialist-Democratic entity (which everyone from abroad claiming to be Irish too tends to ignore: that the Irish are wayyyy over on the Left, politically, with significant support for broadly Socialist ideals – but that’s another story) that’s not especially religious any more, people still absolutely support and mark Christmas. People would stare at you, aghast, if you were to mutter the trite “Happy holidays…” instead. While we don’t have any of the religious fundamentalism/zealots that we see from certain American quarters, we retain the pragmatic, common-sense approach to simply recognising and marking things as what they are and seem to be – no more, no less. And so it is that, despite my atheism, I’ve still given out Christmas cards, wished everyone a happy Christmas, and so on, rather than use the trite, empty phrase, Happy Holidays. Which, I presume, Google will trot out on National Paperclip Day as a similarly meaningful phrase. Clods.

24. John C   December 24, 2013 at 5:00 am

How more of this sanitized, politically correct nonsense do us normal, decent, people have to listen to. It seems to everywhere you turn these days. Now we’re having a debate about the rights and wrongs of Merry versus Happy…. Christmas versus Holidays. Are you really serious.

Jesus H Chri… oops better not say that… might offend someone… LOL…

Unbelievable!!!… Disclaimer: if I wish you a Merry Christmas this year it’s not because I was being exclusive or religion-centric… it’s just that I wanted to wish you a Merry Christmas… look both words up in a dictionary, they’ve been around a while.

*shakes head in utter disbelief*

************************************************
    “A Merry Christmas to one and all. And to all a Merry Christmas”

“Bah Humbug!!!”
    ************************************************
    From “A Holiday Carol” – By Charles Dickens… ROFL

25. still_lynne   December 24, 2013 at 4:55 am

I think the majority of commenters here have missed the point of this article entirely.

She isn’t saying you can’t say “Merry Christmas”, people. Go back and re-read this for heaven’s sake! She is saying that the offensive thing is NOT saying “Merry Christmas”, the offensive thing is in insisting that “Merry Christmas” is the ONLY thing that people can say, and getting upset at people who choose to say “Happy Holidays” (or whatever) instead!

The issue is not at all what people choose to say, it is what people choose to dictate that other people may say.

Reading comprehension ftw.

26. Kath   December 24, 2013 at 4:54 am

“Happy Holidays” refers to all holidays. “Merry Christmas” is mostly used by those who celebrate it.

27. Ben Swank   December 24, 2013 at 4:52 am

Who is this Jesus fella anyway?

I recall reading about him in a book once, at school. I also read about pirates and aliens.

• BB Buja   December 24, 2013 at 5:16 am

You’re right! He is an unknown person, with no trace of physical existence and a flood of make believe stories of what he had said or felt. So that’s why some people go to extremes trying to convince the others that Jesus was not a mirror image of Egyptian sun god Horus but sometrhing much different.
      Btw, Horus was invented much earlier than even Jesus’ father, Jehwa.

28. misskrismKay   December 24, 2013 at 4:52 am

I’m really surprised by all the people getting upset about this. Does it really ruin your holiday to say Happy Holidays instead of Merry Christmas when you know that the person you’re talking to isn’t Christian, or if you’re not sure of their beliefs? Wouldn’t you find it a little weird if people came up to you saying “Merry Beltane” in May and then getting offended when you didn’t say the same to them?

If you have to say Merry Christmas to literally everyone you run into from the beginning of December until Boxing Day then, uh, have fun with that I guess? But don’t get mad if someone says Happy Holidays back, or tells you they don’t celebrate Christmas, or asks you to use Happy Holidays or another less-Christmas focused greeting when you’re talking to them. In the meantime, I’m going to continue not using any holiday greetings at all. Have a nice day always seems to work best.

(Also for everyone saying that literally only Christmas happens at this time, keep in mind that Chanukah moves around, next year the last night will fall on December 24th, and in 2016 it will begin on the 24th, Yule is celebrated on the 24th/25th, many Winter Solstice celebrations continue for days after the Solstice which is the 21st, Eid sometimes falls on these days depending on the lunar calendar syncing up, many secular people even jokingly celebrate Festivus at this time, there are a number of holidays in December, and a lot of them occur between December 20th-30th)

29. Toni   December 24, 2013 at 4:50 am

It is merry Christmas . This is Jesus Christ our saviours. Day to celebrate his birth remember the things he has done for us that is my believe you may have yours a and I respect that but you need to respect my believes so don’t be ad fended by me saying merry Christmas just respond with your believe in a kindly way so merrychristmas to alltoni

30. El Rodrigo   December 24, 2013 at 4:38 am

You’re asking why people say ‘Merry Christmas’?

….look at your calendar and tell me what tomorrow is. As some readers mentioned, take it as a complement, and not as a stupid reason to be offended.

31. Ross   December 24, 2013 at 4:36 am

This guy’s narrow mindedness is evident not only in his beliefs but how he writes other people’s reasons for saying merry Christmas. The reality is that I am allowed to worship my holiday the way I feel; as is anyone else. I wished someone merry Christmas and they said happy chanukah I wouldn’t be insulted. That’s may way of wishing that person a blessed holiday and I wouldn’t take it personally if they blessed me in their own way.

• still_lynne   December 24, 2013 at 4:57 am

Maybe you should actually read the article. The issue is not you or anyone choosing to say “Merry Christmas.” The issue is when you or anyone chooses to force everyone else to say it, instead of “Happy Holidays” or “Happy Hanukah” or whatever else they choose.

32. Anonymous   December 24, 2013 at 4:34 am

I know, let’s all go back to saying “Seasons Greetings” instead. Does that help?

Honestly, though, the “War on Christmas” idiots need to give it a rest. If someone wishes you well, take it as a compliment and not an excuse to be offended.

33. Faraday   December 24, 2013 at 4:30 am

Newsflash Rebecca: according to ABC News, 83% of Americans identify themselves as Christian, 4% as a different religion and 13% as atheists. Are Americans so obsequious to the mainstream (liberal/atheist) media that they will be pushed into discarding their traditional cultural and religious values? Even in the capital of liberalism, London, people commonly say Merry Christmas to each other. What has America become that it in the process of appeasing the relative few, it loses it’s own identity? Do you think Muslim, Indian or any other non-Christian countries bend over backwards to dilute their own cultural and religious heritages? No of course not. The minority understands they are the minority and while allowed to observe their own traditions/religions, are not expected to disrupt or change that countries imbedded beliefs. If Americans stopped watching so much TV, they might just break free of the liberal media’s brainwashing and actually practice the values and beliefs generations of Americans fought and died defending.

34. DARLENE   December 24, 2013 at 4:27 am

MUM MUMZ says …. I respect all religious traditions, and never intend to
    offend anyone …. BUT …. I also have the right to say ” MERRY CHRISTMAS ”
    or ” GOD BLESS YOU ” If it offends you, then wear a sign around your neck
    and stop complaining ……… PEACE …………..

35. Linda   December 24, 2013 at 4:27 am

You are Christain if you say Happy Holidays. Originated from Holydays. You know that letter y & I sound that you learned in school. Maybe YOU didn’t. You might learn something from a person over 45. God Bless. You come across as arrogant.

36. Amy   December 24, 2013 at 4:26 am

I think it’s ridiculous that people can be offended by someone wishing them a Merry or Happy Christmas when they have chosen to live in what is a ‘Christian Country’! It’s still a greeting of happiness, and people should acknowledge it as such, in a place where tradition and belief of this country should be valued, rather than swept under the carpet for fear of ‘offending anybody’. The only reason people are having any ‘happy holidays’ at all is because we take time off to celebrate CHRISTMAS!

37. Gail Prince   December 24, 2013 at 4:25 am

What nonsense. Friends of mine posts Eid greetings on their Facebook pages, I do not get offended and I’m sure it works both ways. Merry Christmas Everyone x

38. Debbie   December 24, 2013 at 4:21 am

We say Merry Christmas because it is Christmas! If people do not want to celebrate the birth of Jesus,( savior to all) then you really are missing the point.It’s a holiday sure, but it is the holiday when we celebrate the birthday of The baby Jesus. It’s his day. You wouldn’t want anyone to attend your birthday celebration and completely ignore you now would you?

• Melynda   December 24, 2013 at 4:38 am

If you’d like to be really technical, the church pretty much took over the Roman celebration of Saturnalia so the “reason for the season” was just a way of suppressing the pagans. I really wouldn’t think Jesus would really need a ‘special day.’ And the point I think the writer is trying to make is that on a normal basis at least THREE other holidays occur during the holiday season. One might be more important to you, but you aren’t the only person in the world and your beliefs are not the only beliefs.

39. Sue Fine   December 24, 2013 at 4:20 am

First of all, people seem to forget why the vehemence got started in the first place.
    about 20 or 30 years ago, several public institutions decided that “Christmas” was too exclusive and mandated that any reference to “Merry Christmas” or Christian displays would not be allowed in schools, Government, etc. Thus, Christmas became “Winter Holiday”, and things were outlawed such as nativity displays, secular music, etc.
    Trouble was, no one had ever really been all that offended by Christmas, maybe just a little alienated. But a LOT of people became offended by the Happy Holiday movement, believing it a suppression of their religious rights, and started to push back.
    So now we have the “Christmas Wars” that have been going on for the past few decades, and no one has come to a happy medium yet. So much for Peace on Earth, Good Will Towards All (notice I didn’t say Men–that’s a whole other can of worms). I, for one, have always said “Happy Holidays” and always will.

40. Narcis   December 24, 2013 at 4:15 am

Merry Christmas!

41. Bryan_Alabama   December 24, 2013 at 4:13 am

Happy Holidays? What you seem to forget is that this time of year has and always will be set aside for celebrating the birth of our Lord and Savior, Jesus Christ. Sure there are other people with their own beliefs, but this is the Christians’ time to celebrate! Maybe a little research would be in order before you starting blasting away at people. Chanukah has come and gone (November 27-December 5), and Kwanzaa has not started (December 26-January 1). Of course not everyone celebrates Christmas, but why do you consider a Merry Christmas greeting to be rude? Are we to stop every person that we meet and ask them are they a Christian or not before we say “Merry Christmas”? How utterly ridiculous that would be! Just remember that this time of year is set aside for Christians to celebrate and expect to hear “Merry Christmas” being said in recognition of this special time of year. Oh, and yes I am over 45 years of age and a Republican, but that has nothing to do with the fact that I am a Christian and will continue to say “Merry Christmas” throughout the Christmas season!!

42. Dave   December 24, 2013 at 4:12 am

Happy holidays, Merry Christmas, the celebration of Festivas (for the rest of us); it all works fine for me.

43. Michael Veigli   December 24, 2013 at 4:09 am

I am a man of the world….have friends of varying colours and creeds. At Christmas time it’s Merry Christmas ( not this American bu..it ). In January it will be Chinese New Year and I’ll be wishing my Chinese friends such a greeting.
    If I had any Muslim friends I would extend that same courtesy.
    Thank God I’m an Atheist!! Maybe Google should consider converting to my ” faith”.

44. JackDusty   December 24, 2013 at 4:03 am

If you can’t see past the words they happened to use and appreciate that someone is wishing you well, you are the one with a problem.

45. wj   December 24, 2013 at 3:58 am

What is this Article about? celebrating the birth of Christ or Christmas. in my eyes and i’m sure in the eyes of the majority of people Christmas is about spending time with your family and friends and also having time of work :). Surely this can be shared by everyone regardless of religion. I annoys me so much when people bring religion in to every aspect of life, in reality Christmas is a commercial event that should bring people together.

Also just to respond to Adriaan Arends comment, are you really that stupid? the last time i checked santa was not jesus or God. Merry christmas to all and a happy new year.

• JackDusty   December 24, 2013 at 4:11 am

Exactly. No one gets annoyed about calling it ‘Thursday’ even though they don’t believe in Thor. It’s now just the word for that day and Christmas is the same.

46. A Taylor   December 24, 2013 at 3:55 am

When I taught music to individuals at school in England, I had pupils who were Christians, Atheists, Jewish or Moslems. They all got to learn Christmas carols if they wanted, and if they played in the school orchestra they had no option. Not one was offended, not one parent came and said it was against their religion, the kids enjoyed the fun of it. I think it is SO sad we even have to consider that wishing Happy Christmas offends anyone. I am an atheist, have been since age 9, for the simple reason I think religion divides the world far too much as people do not ever seem to consider the similarities in the moral code which IMHO is what all religions are about.

47. Cris   December 24, 2013 at 3:55 am

I agree with Lorenzo, 25th of December is Christmas, the day we celebrate the birth of Jesus Christ. It’s ok to be a Christian, as well as being of other religions. I wish all people good health, peace, love, prosperity every day of their lives, to my family, my friends, my colleagues, everyone in the world with all my best intentions. On Christmas Eve and Christmas Day, I wish you a Merry Christmas, wherever you are, whatever you do.
    Can you honestly say you would feel offended by that? If you are, go find a therapist! 🙂

• D.L.   December 24, 2013 at 4:09 am

Agreed!

48. Mike Kister   December 24, 2013 at 3:55 am

Happy Holidays to all!

• Joe R.   December 24, 2013 at 4:32 am

and a most Merry Christmas to you Mike !

49. Matt   December 24, 2013 at 3:53 am

@Adriaan Arends

Sorry I just had to respond. Why would they dress Allah up in red? First it is not Jesus that is popping down your chimney in red, it is Saint Nicholas. And why offend others? Yes I agree Christmas is Christmas for those of us that celebrate it.

And to all of you saying respect others and just say Happy Holidays I ask where is the respect from the others? A person should be able to profess their devotion / like / love of the holiday they celebrate whether it be Christmas, Chanukah or any other.

I would have no problem with returning a wish to someone. If they say Happy Chanukah to me, I will return it. I celebrate Christmas thus I say Happy Christmas. If people feel they can be rude / nasty because of that there is a problem with them not me.

50. Templar   December 24, 2013 at 3:50 am

political corectness, but I dont care! MARRY CHRISTMAS TO ALL CHRISTIANS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

51. JoWasHere   December 24, 2013 at 3:46 am

Wow, far too many things that I’d like to say, but I’ll keep it simple as you clearly are an idiot. Christmas is when Jesus was born and Christians celebrate when their saviour was born. Christianity is most popular religion and it is tradition that most of the world celebrate even though these days the meaning has clearly been lost. Perhaps you should move to a Muslim country and celebrate their Eid and call it a happy holiday.

• memorygrrl   December 24, 2013 at 4:08 am

Wow. Jesus wasn’t born in December. Read your bible.
      This time was chosen to coincide with existing pagan celebrations.
      So, my advice to you, my friend, would be Let He Who Is Without Stupidity Cast The First Stone.
      Happy holidays.

• Bryan_Alabama   December 24, 2013 at 4:32 am

This time was not chosen to “coincide with existing pagan celebrations”, but as an attempt by the early Christians to end these pagan celebrations. A theologian in the year 320 stated it best when he said, “We hold this day holy, not like the pagans because of the birth of the sun, but because of Him who made it.”

• Earthan   December 24, 2013 at 4:36 am

Thank you yes, I was waiting for someone to point this out. So many Christians missing the point of this article; it says “why so exclusionary,” and they say, “because we are all that matters.”

• Chard   December 24, 2013 at 4:48 am

Memorygirl, you are so right, most historians agree that Roman and pagan gift giving celebrations of the re-birth of the sun (winter solstice) preceded the nonsense about “Jesus” by several centuries. If a “Jesus” was born at all, he was probably born in the summer. The Xians stole and commandeered the existing celebrations and claimed them to be in honor of their diety. Talk about dishonesty.

52. Paul Mac   December 24, 2013 at 3:44 am

A person expressing good will is not the one causing offence, if offence is taken it is the small minded person seeing it as an offence. Merry Christmas Everyone !

53. Jim Stores   December 24, 2013 at 3:38 am

Merry Christmas mealy states your religion or roots in a Christian society, if I know someone is Jewish, I would modify my greeting to Happy Hanukkah, similarly for other beliefs.
    There’s no need to rant, anyone wishing someone a Merry Christmas hasn’t the intention of insulting or demining the recipient of the greeting,
    Perhaps it could become commonplace when saying Merry Christmas to someone, to receive a reply of e.g. Happy Hanukkah if Jewish, or the appropriate response for other beliefs.

• D.L.   December 24, 2013 at 4:08 am

Well said! God Bless you and Merry Christmas!

54. Lorenzo   December 24, 2013 at 3:33 am

I really, really disagree. Where is the logic?
    Sure, not everyone must celebrate Christmas.
    But December 25th is only Christmas, not any other festivity. Or am I missing something?
    So, when that particular day approaches (2-3 days before and afterwards, and no more than that) I wish others ‘Merry Christmas’.
    The expression ‘Happy Holidays’ does not mean anything. What do you mean ‘holidays’? To me, holidays are in the summer. ‘Happy holidays’ does not mean anything to any religion, it’s just a commercially-filled expression helping stores during this time of year to sell more, or a politically correct expression big corporations have to use. No way I am going to say that.
    I believe in the specific meaning of Christmas and of other religious festivities.
    In the country where I live, Christianity is the national religion and many people are Christian, so it’s natural that I say ‘Merry Christmas’, when the time comes.
    That does not preclude anybody, when the day comes for other festivities, to make a different wish.
    Now stop being politically correct 🙂 There was a joke about a guy who was scared to be sued for saying ‘Merry Christmas’ and therefore included a Legal Disclosure before saying it. You are making it look as if it would actually makes sense.
    Peace.

• Adéle   December 24, 2013 at 3:43 am

And a Blessed Merry Christmas to you also Lorenzo!!

55. mb   December 24, 2013 at 3:26 am

it’s happy holidays. sorry.

56. frazer   December 24, 2013 at 3:21 am

Really confused. Surely there’s a mix up somewhere on the last two paragraphs?

57. freaker   December 24, 2013 at 3:21 am

We all need to be tolerant. Saying hello can be a good way to start. Also to keep perspective, perhaps the person who offers a phrase of “greeting” is the one putting the good will out there and whatever cultural/religious time is the target the person receiving it could also just take it in the way it was intended to give. I very much doubt anyone chirps up with a greeting that is trying to cause unrest.

58. Heather Cee   December 24, 2013 at 3:19 am

Merry Christmas Rebecca
    Ps: Thomas the tank engines friend is The Fat Controller…

59. Adriaan Arends   December 24, 2013 at 12:04 am

Well said Rebecca, just love your article. It is a pity that Christmas is so commercialised and it is a pity that we as Christians allow it, however, Christmas is celebrated at the wrong time, it should be celebrated around May/June. Imagine we celebrate our birthdays 6-7 months later. Take it for yourself if somebody congratulate you on your birthday, 2 days later as it should be.
    I wish the world want to make one of the most holiest days in the muslim faith a commercial circus as the make Christmas, with us as Christians. Make a joke of their allah, put him in red clothes with a beard. surely they will object, but we remain silent.