Paul Walker Killed in Car Accident Devastates Generation Y

entertainment, death, paul walker, car accident, 40

One can visit the official fan-page of Paul Walker and see the dedicated list of 5.2 million fans grow, as over 2 million more heartbroken fans wanted to confirm hoax was now fact. Paul Walker is dead. His death has has left his generational following stunned as generation Y and many fans within generation Z cope with this sudden loss. A touch of mortality has hit close to home as someone they watched, admired and cheered on will soon be buried by his family and daughter.

Impact of Paul Walker’s Death

Visiting Facebook revealed a lot. It showed the commitment, the love and disbelief of generation Y fans. Millions followed the fast-paced, racing movie The Fast and the Furious, which starred Paul Walker and Vin Diesel. The movies have always been a box office success and brought in generation Y fans in droves. A majority of Walker’s fan are about, 33 years old and younger, a dedicated fanbase that immediately attended the next sequel of the F&F brand.

Walker’s death is to generation Y as Heath Ledger’s death was for generation X. It brings a familiarity of being closer to that age and understanding how cruel and

Walker in Varsity Blues attested to his acting abilities
Walker in Varsity Blues attested to his acting abilities

ugly death can be. This stuns the generational following, resulting in a raw feeling of mortality and perhaps even a fear of the the unknown. Life becomes more considered as fans realize Walker was more than just a cool actor, he was a father to his 15-year-old daughter, a son and loved by millions.

The Aftermath of Untimely Death

For years, teenagers and young adults have tossed up a “whatever” when it comes to bad habits, or living recklessly. They go to school, work, hang out with friends

and determine the next step in their life within that moment. Now, there is a new discussion bringing them to the table. A somber feeling of the unknown as they realize death is real and it can touch those one never expected. Chatting with a 22-year-old student on Facebook showed the impact and aftermath to come from the untimely death of Walker. Guardian Express is identified as GE and “Tony,” the student will be listed as T.

GE: It seems to have impacted a lot of young adults. I have a brother around your age and his friends were stunned in really powerful ways. Death has taken hold of other actors like James Gandolfini and Marcia Wallace, but the deaths that have really taken hold for your generation is Paul Walker and Cory Monteith. Can you tell me a little bit about that?

T: The Sopranos were cool to watch I actually didn’t know Tony Soprano died until like a week ago! I think it’s because The Fast and the Furious was just such an awesome movie. I love cars and honestly it’s really hard to find a connection like that on the big screen. There was just something badass to it, you know Paul was badass. He was invincible on the roads in the movies and it’s like ‘what?! he’s dead?’ it’s just crazy. That’s someone you just don’t expect. My sis was all hung about Cory’s death, was not much into Glee but she was a mess when he died.

GE: How do you feel about his death?

T: Heh. I rather not say. Not the type to want it broadcast.

GE: Tell you what, we’ll change your name to protect your identity. Your response, trust me, is felt by others – but sometimes it may need to be understood to generation X folks like me or even baby boomers. Personally, death is horrid and I was stunned to hear Paul died in such a horrid accident. But, the impact; literally how his younger fans responded was almost intense. One friend’s daughter put on her status she was going to bed, sobbing. It made me say “whoa.” How did it impact you, as a young man?

Co-stars Vin and Tyrese have expressed their disbelief and grief
Co-stars Vin and Tyrese have expressed their disbelief and grief

T: I guess it’s bothered me more than I let on. I went to bed super late last night because it’s like I needed to BS with my friends. Yeah man, it was messed up and we still can’t believe it. This was someone we connected with. If you knew cars, you knew F&F, you knew Paul and that was something. He was just cool, he wasn’t full of himself like so many actors. He wasn’t out to become pig rich and take every movie role. He had fun and you can see that in his acting. It bothers people my age, because it seems so unfair. Man, a hoax just went around and in under 24 hours he’s dead? It just seems shady and wrong. Yeah, it’s definitely bothered me more than I can say.

GE: Thanks, truly. I know how hard that was, but your words show a deeper connection to understanding mortality for your generation. Sometimes releasing that pent-up thought can start a healing process.

T: Yeah. Mortality, that’s a good word right now. Makes you a bit jumpy.

RIP Paul Walker

Paul Walker who recently celebrated his 40th birthday surrounded by friends and family has died. He made his mark across the globe. From Varsity Blues, She’s All That and the breakthrough movie, The Fast and the Furious, Walker will continue to shine for millions of his fans. His death stuns a generational following, as they cope with the aftermath of understanding mortality. Walker is survived by his only child, daughter Meadow Walker and his immediate family. What are your thoughts on Walker’s death and how did it impact you?

Angelina Bouc

Sources
Biography
Paul Walker Official FB fan page

17 Responses to "Paul Walker Killed in Car Accident Devastates Generation Y"

1. traudel   December 29, 2013 at 5:41 am

I’m 50 and it hurts me,I miss him so much it feel’s like someone ripped my heart out. But he will never be forgotten, he will live on in our hearts and he will walk beside us always and maybe some day we will meet him again so for now rest in peace sweet angel Paul we love you.

2. Laura   December 7, 2013 at 2:49 am

Im 24 years old i have always loved paul since i can remember big ff fan im struggling so bad its unreal im crying everyday i just feel for his family and freinds so bad he was peferct in everyway why was such a kind man taken away from this world not gonna be the same without him its just dosent seem to be sinking in that he as gone i live in a small town in england so never had chance to see him in flesh and it guts me so bad now i never will im heartbroken u will stay in my heart forever rest in peace never be forgotten xx

3. carol panagos   December 5, 2013 at 1:30 pm

4. carol panagos   December 5, 2013 at 1:29 pm

Rest in peace Paul Walker you will be missed.

5. Sue   December 5, 2013 at 1:17 pm

I’m part of Generation X and this is affecting our Generation too!! He was my age and I remember seeing him on TV in the 80’s! When my 13 year old daughter was 3 she saw him on Fast and the Furious and instantly fell in love with him as did I when I saw him in Varsity Blues! I bought her a F&F car with a miniature Paul Walker that was her favorite toy she carried Paul Walker with her everywhere! She honestly wanted to grow up and marry him! The funny thing is my daughter looks an awful like Jasmine his girlfriend! Crazy how connected we felt towards him! Rest in Peace PW

6. Collen Masemola   December 3, 2013 at 9:51 pm

but let us not forget that speed kills no matter who you are or where you are

7. Saaib Hosein   December 3, 2013 at 4:32 pm

It sad you will never be forgotten
    My mother write dis

8. Thomas McDonald   December 3, 2013 at 10:12 am

This is another SAD preventable accident. We need to stand up for Paul and everyone else! There are WAY too many deaths due to road accidents! Please allow our voices to be heard. New technology has developed a way to place accidents prevention sensors on new cars, which will stop the car before impact. This tragedy could have happened to any of us, please don’t wait! Support http://www.facebook.com/StopStopStopAMF as they are bringing awareness for pedestrian protection and road safety!!! R.I.P Paul Walker!!!

9. Karly   December 1, 2013 at 11:23 pm

generation X feels just as sad as i’m sure the rest of the world does too, my personal opinion is perhaps generation Y is more ‘online’ to express it all… doesn’t mean generation X doesn’t feel as hurt – i didn’t like your interview – felt as if you were saying they they only people impacted. my generation is his age if u work it out, why wouldn’t it hit home a bit more for us? anyway, just felt the need to comment. RIP Paul… i’ve never cried myself to sleep about any actor before, i’m 36.

• Angelina Bouc   December 1, 2013 at 11:36 pm

Certainly, there is sadness – for all who followed Paul, but the impact is where it differed, hence the interview – there was a definite impact value. There was, on social media review, a greater impact for his younger and majority fanbase. Thanks for your comment and indeed RIP Paul, a great actor, gone much too early.

10. Alison   December 1, 2013 at 9:49 pm

Heartbroken…

11. Walugembe ronald   December 1, 2013 at 9:37 pm

R.i.p big bro we will always miss u.

12. Collen   December 1, 2013 at 9:22 pm

Brian Spilner O’connor aka Paul Walker RIP buddy you’ll always be be in our engine; gearbox; drive shafts; drags and drifts

13. belinda   December 1, 2013 at 8:57 pm

Im so sad to hear about that….i dont knoe about him as much but i knew that he always love his mom n daughter too…so proud of him
    …..HE was family guy

• Angelina Bouc   December 1, 2013 at 9:41 pm

Belinda I agree! Unlike many stars, there was always kind words about his personality and his behavior on set.

14. Antoinette Yvette Hall   December 1, 2013 at 7:36 pm

I’m 47 years old and I cried. He was a true gentleman and a fantastic father and actor.RIP

• Angelina Bouc   December 1, 2013 at 9:40 pm

I was sad to hear of his passing, as a mom of a teenage boy myself, the thought was devastating.