Pokémon Bank Delayed Release Date

Pokemon Bank

Those who were hoping to download the app for Nintendo’s for new cloud storage service called Pokémon Bank will be very sad to hear that its release date has been delayed.  Originally its Western release was scheduled to be December 27, but problems were encountered during its December 25 Japanese release.

Gamers around the world who tried to access the Nintendo eShop Christmas day were very frustrated and disappointed.  Due to the increased traffic on the Nintendo Network, its servers were simply unable to handle everyone who rushed to the eShop after opening their gifts.  According to a message posted by Nintendo’s support, players who were trying to set up Nintendo Network IDs or download content, either to their Wii U or their Nintendo 3DS, had problems during the holiday.  And, while the company apologized for the inconvenience and attempted to reassure players that they were working on a solution, many were not happy.

Although customers in Japan originally had access to Pokémon Bank, its has also been pulled from the Japanese Nintendo eShop.

Nintendo reports that they are working diligently to upgrade their capacity before Pokémon Bank and it’s companion app, Poké Transporter, are finally released.  There is no official word yet about when the new release date is expected to be; however, it may be soon.  On Friday morning, Nintendo’s Facebook page announced that they would be taking the eShop offline worldwide between the hours of 4 p.m. and 4 a.m. ET in order to “manage the high volume of traffic and ultimately improve your experience.”

Although the problems began on Christmas day, the network still continues to be unavailable for many players.  The latest network traffic update as of Friday morning  states that the network services “may be intermittently unavailable.”

The long-awaited Pokémon Bank and Poké Transporter apps will allow players of Pokémon X and Y to store and manage up to 3,000 pokémon in 100 boxes containing 30 pokémon each.  Players will also have the ability to transfer pokémon from older games, like Pokémon Black and White and Black and White 2.  In addition, the app will work with any future game releases.

Among the touted benefits of the service are the fact that it will keep a player’s pokémon safe in case his or her game is ever lost or broken as well as the fact that pokémon can now be easily moved between games without needing a second 3DS to make the transfer.

One of the special bonuses which is available with the download of this app is a free Celebi.  The “time travel” pokémon will reportedly be level 10 when it is downloaded and will come with moves such as Heal Bell, Recover and Safeguard, as well as new move called Hold Back.

Nintendo was originally going to make Pokémon Bank and Poké Transporter available for a free 30-day trial up until January 31, 2014, but it has not yet said if this date will be pushed forward to accommodate the delayed release date of the apps.

After the free trial expires, players will have to pay a nominal fee of $4.99 per year to continue with the service.

By Nancy Schimelpfening

Joystiq

Escapist Magazine

Engadget

The Game Informer

Nintendo Official

43 Responses to "Pokémon Bank Delayed Release Date"

1. Thor   January 6, 2014 at 8:28 pm

People seem to forget that when many, many, many, many MILLIONS of people try to connect to the same thing at ONCE, things tend to crash. And that it takes time to make upgrades to the servers and such. Ignorant people, smh.

2. Gagio Fuego   January 6, 2014 at 6:04 pm

Pokémon Bank still don’t have a new release date

3. Dewdrop Darkrose   December 31, 2013 at 7:04 pm

Ok As frustrated as i am about the delay, Most of you are taking this WAY out of proportion. Nintendo has handled it better then anyone else and issued apologies when it failed. so stop hating on it over a stupid app. i’m positive it’ll release soon. SO QUIT HATING AND BE A LITTLE PATIENT

• Craig   December 31, 2013 at 9:02 pm

The good news is that Pokemon Transporter is back for the Japanese players who have pokemon bank before it was removed!

4. person   December 29, 2013 at 12:47 am

What the f#%$ nintendo

5. Craig   December 28, 2013 at 5:14 pm

Don’t you think you’re jumping the conclusions here? It’s not like they have forseen this! Nintendo didn’t had any idea that this would happen and I bet it wasn’t the first time it happened! As far as the Pokemon Bank delay goes, the way I see it It was just like how we had to wait a bit longer for the release of dreamworld in black and white a few years ago (Of course it was because of Earthquakes in Japan) And I’m sure this won’t be any different in terms of waiting! I’m confident that sooner or later We will get the heads up on the new release date!

6. yamom   December 28, 2013 at 3:13 pm

Nintendo is a joke I just got on eshop and for the longest time it said it wasn’t working cause they where fixing it then last night I get on and its working but no pokemon bank. And now I just got on and its not working again wow they are not doing a damn thing to fixit at all. And then they don’t even tell you when there going to get pokemon bank up its been two days now sense pokemon bank should be out. There not doing any thing they should of fixed this problem after Christmas sense japan had problems but no they take the eshop down say thers problems put it back up no pokemon release date still and take it back down wtf there gonna loose business like iv enjoyed Nintendo sense the Nintendo gameboy game out along time ago playing pokemon but this is a joke the fans and people are gonna loose faith. But in the end we all complain about it and say were not gonna play nomore but in reality nintendo is the only company we got to play pokemon so everyone will come running back. All I gotta say..

7. jevron   December 28, 2013 at 8:37 am

Nintendo you can do a better job

8. Jonathan   December 28, 2013 at 8:13 am

Calm down guy well I just login to eshop and it’s working but my friend told at Nintendo. There upgrade thee sever because of all the ppl going on line. If thy release it now they will have a relapse of two days ago. Come on true fans!

9. Kyle   December 28, 2013 at 8:03 am

What is this have a go at nintendo. Hick ups happen. The same thing happened on the psn and xbox live. This is one of the first times nintendo has had an issue.

• Amykins   December 28, 2013 at 12:28 pm

“One of the first times they’ve had an issue”. I’m afraid not. :/ They’re notorious for releasing unfinished games, since they can just patch ’em later, in Pokemon’s case, a whole MONTH after a game-crashing bug was found. I don’t know about you, but in the testing business that’s #1 priority.

And as I already said down below, the server load for Xbox and Steam was WAY bigger than the one for Pokemon bank, and their services came back up the same day.

So there’s no excuse.

10. yamom   December 28, 2013 at 6:27 am

The fact that they are not prepared for this is really dumb all the money they got from pokemon x/y and they can’t update to anything new sounds like there being lazy and greedy wiith out all the kids and people playing your game your nothing as a company. You failed so hard they say they where prepared for this well your not. And Microsoft needs to buy Nintendo out. And get new equipment cause they should of been prepared and the fact you gotta pay five dollars really greedy greedy greedy they just want money I know its just five dallors bit to transfer pokemon really dumb Nintendo your greexy and I hope you fail.

• Guum   December 28, 2013 at 10:28 am

wait wait wait wait wait…so…a 5 dollar a YEAR fee is greedy and your saying that out of all the companies that should buy out nintendo is microsoft. first of all nintendo is a japanese company, microsoft is so rare to see in japan it’s not even funny, secondly microsoft charges a 15 dollar fee per month to use their servers, and microsoft sells there games for more, most nintendo games realease at about 40$ (yes there are some 60$ releases) but seriously every single microsoft game releases at 60$

• Amykins   December 28, 2013 at 12:25 pm

1. The quality and size of an Xbox game > quality of any 3DS game. So that price argument is kinda moot.
        2. Microtransactions are dumb no matter what company is doing it.
        3. Considering how poorly they’ve handled this whole mess, the least they can do is offer us the first year free.

• Guum   December 29, 2013 at 12:17 am

1. why are you comparing xbox to 3ds compare it to wii U both have an equal quality to their target audience
          2. Micro transactions are dumb i thought i implied that in my first comment my bad if i didnt.
          3. They havent handled it poorly they sent apologies to every 3ds console and are working to fix it (i mean what do you want them to do instantaneously upgrade there servers it will HAVE to take just a little time)
          4. btw they are already offering one month free and a free celebi that is more than enough to compensate because alot of people want it just to transfer pokemon from black/white 2 so they are giving those people a chance to do it most people do NOT need the extra storage space in pokemon bank and those that do will be willing to give nintendo 5 meesly dollars

• Guum   December 29, 2013 at 12:24 am

ignore my previous comments amykins i apologize you are obviously just an ignorant spoiled jerk who doesnt understand the first thing about life, business, or more importantly (for this thread) video games. you complained game freak cant balance it’s game, have you ever came across ANY fighting game where the characters are all balanced, no, it doesnt exist that is why smogen has separated pokemon into tiers to add a balance into the game

• Amykins   December 29, 2013 at 12:32 am

And, I’ve been playing games since you were a zygote. You want an example of a fighting game that’s well balanced? Try Skullgirls. Because they actually give a crap about their player base.

I’m serious, if you really think that terrible balancing is just part of the game culture, give that one a try. I think you’ll find it really rewarding.

• Amykins   December 29, 2013 at 12:28 am

They were offering the Celebi and free month already, before this mess happened. I think it’s safe to say they should give us a little more incentive for our trouble, hmm? And to compare the Wii U to the Xbox One is like trying to compare an ant to a St. Bernard. My point was that Microsoft has WAY more strain on their servers than a pokemon service ever will, and even they got their act together in record time when their servers went down, and their servers are laughably poorly maintained. So nintendo has no excuse. None.

I’ve worked in the games industry for over a decade. In that time I’ve spent several years with Nintendo, Microsoft, and Sony. I know my hardware, and I know what goes on behind closed doors. I can almost guarantee you that nintendo simply does not care.

11. Nico   December 28, 2013 at 3:57 am

Well I’m glad at least Nintendo is working hard on improving the servers for the eshop, many of you need to stop rustling your jimmies.

We never know, maybe they’ll release pokebank/mover sometime later today or even Sunday. I can wait besides I was able to download Link between two worlds & Sonic the Hedgehog 3D before the eshop went back under maintenance yesterday – so least that will keep me busy til then.

12. Me   December 28, 2013 at 2:42 am

Nintendo is a joke compared to xbox or playstation. With all the time they had to prepare & the 500 or so people working on this project they still failed to produce on time. Also making a release date so close to Christmas was a big mistake … just think of all the disappointed children that got the game as a gift & can’t even play online with their friends. Nintendo is outdated & needs to be bought out by Microsoft or Sony so it can be run properly while producing decent product to all ages. What a disappointment! Nintendo you failed

• egviiChase   December 28, 2013 at 5:54 am

You don’t seem to understand business very well. There was a bigger load than expected. Maybe if you didn’t focus on being so selfish and condescending you could see that Nintendo is doing well, not badly. Research before you spread ignorance! Sony, Microsoft, and steam all went down on christmas as well.

• Amykins   December 28, 2013 at 12:22 pm

I’m forced to consider whether or not you work for Nintendo, considering your vitriol. I worked for them once, and I’ve worked on servers for several game companies for over a decade and let me tell you, they could have done so much more to prepare. But they just refused to do so. The same goes for Microsoft and Steam. Trust me, it’s a miracle XBLA still works at all considering the stuff I’ve seen.

Valve is the only company whose outage shocked me, since they’re the only company who really cares about that kind of thing. And guess what? They have a WAY bigger load than Pokemon Bank ever will and their service is already back up. So we’ll complain all we darn well want to!

• Isaiah   December 28, 2013 at 9:12 am

You do realize that Nintendo is the most prepared out of the 3 companies.The fact that that something like this could happen, and they can fix it all in a little over a day is amazing! Don’t you remember that time when playstation network was down for about 2 months? I can tell you it sounds like they were definitely not prepared. Stop hating on Nintendo! You can’t wait another couple of days or week or two for a new application to come out!? It’s better than waiting over a month to do anything online with a PS3!

• Thor   January 6, 2014 at 8:25 pm

And don’t forget hacking was the reason for those 2 months of downtime due to Sony being stubborn about negotiating with the hackers or something like that. lel

13. Alexander   December 27, 2013 at 8:11 pm

Such a shame…I feel like this issue could have been prepared better for

14. Ajay Singh Bedi   December 27, 2013 at 5:35 pm

ok if i say im not angry about this i would be lieing all i want is my beautiful meloetta and this is what happend -_- please tell me it will be realesed on the 28th december 2013

• Amykins   December 27, 2013 at 7:59 pm

I’m gonna be REAL mad if, after all this, we won’t be able to trade pokes from X/Y over to Black and White 2. All of the good move tutors are in B/W, and are nonexistent in X and Y. So I’m willing to bet, that for all our trouble, we won’t even be able to get our perfectly bred pokemon the moves we want.

• Dozer   December 28, 2013 at 2:59 am

It was my uderstanding that it was never an option to move them back to gen V.

• Eldest123323   December 28, 2013 at 8:14 am

You can only transfer pokemon to X/Y. You were never going to be able to transfer pokemon back to older gen games. Once a pokemon is in the bank/on X/Y it’s there to stay. The hardware on the 3ds and the hardware on the older models of the ds aren’t compatible with each other which is why you can’t trade between them now.

• Amykins   December 28, 2013 at 12:16 pm

Okay, where does it say that in any of the press releases? I haven’t found a single website stating that at all…I was hoping that wouldn’t have been the case, though. :/ And why the heck shouldn’t we be able to transfer to Black and White 2? We were able to trade between similar games with different hardware, such as Gold/Silver and Fire Red/Leaf Green.

• LJohn   December 28, 2013 at 2:55 pm

Uh, that’s because the games were similar. X/Y and B2/W2 aren’t, and the pokemon found/transferred in/to X/Y are likely saved in a different format than in B2/W2. There’s also the fact that the pokemon introduced in X/Y are completely new and would not appear anywhere in B2/W2’s coding.

• Amykins   December 28, 2013 at 8:18 pm

G/S and FR/LG were on different consoles, the Gameboy color and Gameboy Advance, respectively. It also had new pokemon and new moves that were totally different. So that’s not an excuse. Especially when you consider that it would be easy for them to simply patch the game to be compatible.

Or at the very least, ad the move tutors from B/W into X/Y. They owe us at LEAST that much. With their total overhaul to the breeding mechanics, none of my pokes from B/W are half as good as the ones I bred now. So it’s either battle others with an inferior team stats-wise, or an inferior team that doesn’t have the moves I need. Gamefreak is notorious for failing to balance the game, and this is just the icing on the cake as far as bad business decisions.

• Dozer   January 6, 2014 at 2:58 pm

I found the webpage for you: http://www.pokemonbank.com/en-gb/transporter/
          “Note that Poké Transporter cannot return Pokémon to Pokémon Black Version, Pokémon White Version, Pokémon Black Version 2, or Pokémon White Version 2 after they have been stored in an online Box.”

• Craig   January 6, 2014 at 5:47 pm

It just means that once you transfer pokemon from black and white they can’t be returned! Same thing happens with Poke Transfer and Pal Park

15. Sam   December 27, 2013 at 4:55 pm

I’m not happy I waited so long for those app to come out and how much loner am I supposed to wait now, they should have Been more prepared

16. Nylunea   December 27, 2013 at 1:52 pm

nintendo are acting really dumb they knew everyone would want to download the pokemon bank doesn’t help doing on/near christmas so of course it would be flooded plus nintendo are now always having a problem with pokemon as its already be updated twice in less than 3 months

• Isaiah   December 28, 2013 at 9:15 am

It’s only been updated once, and stop being mad at Nintendo. They’ve handled this situation better than almost anyone else.

• Amykins   December 28, 2013 at 12:18 pm

No, he’s right it’s been updated twice. And how have they handled this situation well, may I ask? They delayed it once, then completely failed to prepare for what they KNEW would be a huge load on their servers. So how do they respond? Just ripping it off of the marketplace. And all the while, they’ve remained vague about just what exactly the service can do, because they don’t want us to know that you can’t trade between X/Y and the previous gen.

They have handled this horribly, and you know it.

• JB0H00D   December 28, 2013 at 9:48 pm

I was hoping downloadable content but nope

17. urmoms penis   December 27, 2013 at 12:08 pm

haaaaaaaaahgay.com

• Patwag   December 27, 2013 at 5:37 pm

What I haaaaaaaah gay? I think you mean: ha, gaaaaaaaaay

18. Dylan   December 27, 2013 at 11:49 am

The lack of preparation is shocking.

19. Amykins   December 27, 2013 at 11:25 am

As someone who has worked with servers for a decade and worked at Nintendo for several years, this disappoints me terribly. They knew the impact the sudden rush of new 3DS owners would bring when they launched this service and had ample time, money, and resources to prepare for it. This is a cringe-worthy showcase of how Nintendo just doesn’t get the big picture, from its products to its customer support to, now, the handling of their online services.