Sarah Palin 5 Reasons She Should Do Another TV Show
Sarah Palin, the former vice presidential candidate has had one prior TV show. Now it has been announced that Palin will be hosting a Sportsman Channel original series in 2014. There are many who do not think that this is a good idea, but here are 5 reasons that Sarah Palin should do another TV show.
1. Working on a television show would keep Palin busy and away from politics. This may sound good for those who believe that Palin should not be involved in politics in any manner what so ever. While a vice presidential candidate, Palin received a 39 percent vote on a Gallup poll, questioning of how prepared she was to become president. This meant that the public’s confidence in her was actually lower than Senator Dan Quayle’s all time low in 1988. In 2010 71 percent of American’s polled by ABC News and Washington Post thought Palin lacked the qualifications to be president of the United States. Political opinions of Palin are so polarized; she is either much liked, or very disliked. There is no middle ground with her, probably because her political ideals are so controversial. Palin has been criticized for her foreign policy experience, her positions on energy and environmental issues have been critiqued and her religious views have raised many eye brows. Sarah Palin was the second female vice presidential candidate in American history (Geraldine Ferraro was the first when she ran with Walter Mondale in 1984), yet she failed to receive support from feminist organizations. In 2008, the National Organization for Women endorsed Barack Obama instead of Palin’s running mate, John McCain.
2. Any new show involving Palin could not be as bad as Sarah Palin’s Alaska. Palin hosted the show in an attempt to “bring wonder and majesty of Alaska to all Americans.” The show reportedly had 5 million viewers tune in for the first episode. During the season it maintained a 3.2 million viewer average but was not signed on for a second season. Comments on the show were varied. Some called it boring, while others thought it showcased parts of Palin’s life which were never visited during the elections.
3. Sarah Palin hosting another show would be a good excuse for her daughter Bristol to make an appearance. Bristol Palin is the former governor’s eldest daughter. She is also the most recognizable of all the Palin children. This is partly because of the announcement of her pregnancy during the 2008 presidential campaign. The family received a lot of heat because the then seventeen year old had engaged in premarital sex. However, Sarah Palin’s conservative supporters continued to stand by her since the teen decided to keep the baby, which reflected their pro-life ideals. Bristol Palin’s popularity also stems from the fact that after the elections she pushed herself into the public spectrum. She became a spokesperson for teen pregnancy prevention; appearing on Good Morning America in 2009 and 2010. She attended several paid speeches, signing with the company Single Source Speakers in 2010. She made appearances on the TV shows The Secret Life of the American Teenager, Dancing With the Stars, and her mother’s Sarah Palin’s Alaska. In 2012 Bristol starred in her own show, Bristol Palin: Life is a Tripp. In the show she showed off her parenting skills and showed America the “real Bristol.”
4. Sarah Palin’s fans would love her to do another TV show, it would give them another opportunity to see her. The reason fans loved Sarah Palin’s Alaska was because it was all about her. The Philadelphia Inquirer’s Jonathan Storm described it best when he stated, “… only a couple of brown bears and virtually no entertainment, but plenty of Palin, Palin, and more Palin.
5. In the new show, Amazing America, Sarah Palin will be exploring America and introducing viewers to some of its most interesting and inspiring citizens. This may be a good opportunity for Sarah Palin to revamp her public appearance. The media does not always portray Palin in the best light. Her most inarticulate comments are often replayed over and over and she is an easy target for comedians and pundits. Her intelligence is always questioned and her personality always under fire. A new show may be exactly what Palin needs to show America what she is really made of.
Amazing America airs in April 2014. The country is not exactly waiting in anticipation; however there is certainty that curiosity will draw millions of viewers to the Sportsman Channel. Forget these 5 reasons for Palin to do another TV show. What viewers will be looking for is whether Palin’s personal reasons for doing the show will make it any more worth while.
By Earnestine Jones