T-Mobile Uncarrier 4.0 Reportedly Buys Out Contract When Switching

technology, legere, t-mobile, uncarrier, t mobile

If consumers are hating on their carrier and cannot change due to a contract, T-Mobile reportedly has got that covered. Rumors are surfacing the final strategy of the Uncarrier revolution will cover customer’s early termination fees, hence buyout the contract, when switching to T-Mobile. Welcome to a bunch more potential customers and oh, nicely played.

This move can threaten the powerful customer advantages seen with Verizon and AT&T. The two largest carriers are already casting nervous eyes to their marketing team for assistance. T-Mobile has prompted serious changes in the mobile industry within the past year. Cam Burton, a writer on the unofficial T-Mobile Blog, TmoNews reports his source informed him of a new service dubbed “houdini.” This secret weapon will allot customers up to “$350 in credit when they switch” to T-Mobile. The source states T-Mobile’s target is reaching out to families with five or more lines. Reportedly, the source indicates T-

Mobile will not a bat an eye at any of the contract lengths.

Pretty exciting news. In the distant past carriers would offer contract buyouts as a promotion, but it seems this is a feature T-Mobile may be making permanent. When Uncarrier 4.0 is announced in early January, many will be expecting the news to leak of the buyout information. Although, unconfirmed by T-Mobile directly, the source is seemingly reliable.

T-Mobile has extended incredible instances through-out their Uncarrier roll-out which continues to impress customers. The common threat the big three carriers are seeing? “I’ll switch to T-Mobile.” It seems now those threats may come to fruition with the company offering to cover all contract fees. There are a couple of conditions to consider. The credit is permitted per phone, for a max of $350 and the customer must be willing to turn over their device to T-Mobile. This would require a new phone purchase, but with T-Mobile’s impressively affordable plans and phone payments, it can be feasible and a good choice for a family.

Bunton states he had his doubts, until his source sent him a document that shows a real potential for doubt to become fact. The source advises that T-Mobile will be looking to launch the rebate promotion on January 15th. The Uncarrier phases have been incredibly strong, selling points for T-Mobile. From dropping contracts, moving into payment plans and offering global unlimited data – the company is seducing mobile consumers.

T-Mobile Uncarrier 4.0 Reportedly Will Buyout Contracts When SwitchingThe genius behind the bold and risky moves is all thanks to the eclectic mind of one CEO, named John Legere. Dressed to draw in camaraderie from customers, Legere is known for wearing his jeans and T-Mobile, pink emblazoned shirts around the company and the stock market floors. Known for his blunt approach, it was Legere who was astounded by the billing standard in the mobile industry, calling it the “biggest crock of s**t” and was astounded consumers were being forced to pay the bills they were receiving.

In the beginning, the top three big boys probably waved off Legere as nothing more than a publicity stunt – then something happened, Legere demanded change in the unchanged industry. 2-year contracts are merely an option, not a rule when it comes to purchasing a phone. Extended payment plans have been offered and carriers are sweating to keep up with the four stages of the Uncarrier revolution. In 2012, prior to Legere taking over the helm, T-Mobile was losing customers.

T-Mobile Uncarrier 4.0 Reportedly Will Buyout Contracts When SwitchingThen in 2013, Legere came in swinging and with his robust and powerful changes, he has added over 1.4 million customers to T-Mobile’s rosters. In just six months, T-Mobile did something AT&T, Sprint nor Verizon could do; they marketed well and drew in more consumers than the three combined. Since the changes and consumers gravitating, investors are perking up and T-Mobile’s stock has continued to increase, gathering in bounties galore on the stock room floor.

Pretty amazing for a company that once was considered as a buying piece for AT&T.

2014 is expected to bring amazing things for T-Mobile and the mobile industry in general. Reports of T-Mobile buying out contracts is a massive move that will be sure to have the largest GSM and CDMA carriers sweating. It will be interesting to see what the next steps will be for the big three, as Legere takes the stage in early January to release another revolutionary step. He’s pretty much a mobile rock star. Excited for this possibility? Share in the comments.

T-Mobile Uncarrier 4.0 Reportedly Will Buyout Contracts When Switching

Angelina Bouc

Tech Spot

10 Responses to "T-Mobile Uncarrier 4.0 Reportedly Buys Out Contract When Switching"

1. cindy   April 15, 2014 at 10:41 am

Do not switch to T-Mobile. I’ve been with them for 15 years and they do Nothing for long term customers. I am not paying $600 x 4 phones just to not be in a contract. im just waiting for all the contracts to end and I am gone! This CEO needs to figure out that some people like contracts if they dont have to pay out the butt for a phone The internet is slow, you loose service and my bill has not decreased like I have read would happen. plus T-Mobile charges way more for phones than anyone else. be smart and stay away.

2. Vicki rice   January 22, 2014 at 7:03 pm

I am wondering what the catch is. I am so sick of Verizon’s over charges and the three, yes, that is 3 verizon mi fi jet packs in the last 5 months that don’t work half the time, the hours spent on the phone trying to be able to use their awful, overpriced equipment, and that is never fixed for very long. Just can’t do the buy out of approximately $700. What options?

3. scorpiodsu   December 23, 2013 at 9:15 am

I would make the jump IF I don’t have to turnover my devices. I mean if I have to buy another iPhone 5 and Nexus 5 then I might as well pay AT&T the ETF. And I’m not getting on a payment plan for a phone. That would put my monthly cost back up near my current AT&T cost. So if I get to keep my phone, then it’s easy. If not, no dice.

4. Kane337 (@Kane337)   December 23, 2013 at 7:46 am

Tmobile is awesome. Loving all the changes that benefit consumers. Keep rocking John Legere.

5. Micke   December 22, 2013 at 10:43 pm

I know there is EDGE service outside big cities, but seriously how much time can the average person spend out driving. If your are a truck driver that makes sense.

6. Paul Barwick   December 22, 2013 at 6:23 pm

As the end of my Verizon contract is getting near I signed up for one of T-Mobile’s $30 a month for 100 talk minutes, unlimited text and 5 GB of high speed data. I spend all my time in San Francisco and T-Mobile works as well or better here as Verizon. I’m going to save $50 a month by switching and will happy to “Bye Bye” to Verizon

7. SteveQ   December 22, 2013 at 8:58 am

@ Honey

Sure, people should investigate if TMobile’s network would serve their needs before switching. Fortunately, that’s pretty easy to do. You can start a prepaid account for under $30 and an old or cheap prepaid phone and give them a try for a month. That’s exactly what I did before switching our family plan to them from Verizon.

And sure, TMobile’s network doesn’t have quite the coverage of Verizon, but we’ve found they have as good or better coverage where we spend the vast majority of our time. We needed a network extender to get a reliable signal at home on Verizon, not with TMobile. And there are many places Verizon’s network is spotty too – in other words, their network isn’t as good as they’d have you believe.

So yes, people, by all means, do your checking, but give TMobile serious consideration. We’re saving between $70 to $80 a month for MORE services than we were getting on Verizon.

8. Honey   December 22, 2013 at 8:40 am

Look BEFORE you Leap! T-Mobile TOUTS great service but often that is NOT the case. If you travel out of your city there are MANY gaps in signal along interstates and highways. Additionally, service is very lackluster or non-existent inside many homes and buildings. I don’t care how INEXPENSIVE they say their service is…….. If I CAN’T make a call or use data, then it is USELESS!

• Skataneric   December 23, 2013 at 8:56 am

1. You shouldn’t be talking while driving. Also, I’ve driven cross country and only found dead spots in very rural areas, like up in the upper peninsula (Escanaba area). Or out in the farmlands of Wisconsin. Even then I was able to roam for calls, just not use data. The dense major populated cities around the US have fine reception, you just might not get the best data signal depending if you’re in the outside burbs or in the metro areas (Going from 4G[HSPA+]/3G/EDGE). T-Mobile has just flipped on their MetroPCS spectrum to add more LTE service and coverage. They’ve also been expanding their tower coverage like crazy to add more 4G[HSPA+] services.

2. Signals are VERY random when in buildings. That is why you use Wi-Fi for calling and data if the signals are lackluster. That is the fault of building construction more so than their signal. T-Mobile uses the 1700/1900/2100 MHz GSM-based network while other carriers get to use 700/800/850/1700/1900/2100/2500 MHz. Higher frequencies have crappier building penetration. The other carriers can ride the 800/850 spectrum.

3. You can test drive with the prepaid phones.

4. ALWAYS check coverage maps and future roll outs (and re-farms) before considering a carrier

9. Pasquale   December 22, 2013 at 1:45 am

I’ve been with Verizon Wireless for almost 15 years since they were called Air Touch Cellular. I have four lines if T-Mobile would pay the penalties on the four lines I would make the jump T-Mobile!