In less than three days, Christmas is here! While millions of children anticipate the big man in red, further yet are the adults pondering about last minute Christmas gifts. Between work, events for the kids and other engagements, gift buying may had fallen to the bottom of the list. Sure, many opt to slam a gift card in a Christmas card and call it a day, but many more want that personal touch. There are dynamic last minute Christmas gifts to share with friends and family. Here is a list of the top 5 gifts for purchasing or creating.
1. Homemade Mason Mix
Homemade items go a long way and are, by far, one of the most popular items when sharing with friends and family. Have an amazing salsa recipe, or special honey mustard mix created and always wanted to share? Purchase or ask a neighbor to buy their mason jars from them. Find some beautiful green and red bows and tie around the mason jar with a rustic, Christmas card. For the truly last minute gifters, no worries if there is no recipe in the Rolodex, below is a quick and easy salsa mix:
- Always opt for fresh over canned, but time is of the essence, so use 1 large can of diced tomatoes (the 14.5 ounce can works).
- Chop 1 small white onion
- 1 small green and 1 small red bell pepper to mince thinly.
- 1 clove garlic
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 hot chile pepper, like Jalapeno, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoon cilantro
- 1 tablespoon lime juice
- Salt to taste
Take the cloves and onion and place in a strainer and allow it to sit under the hot water tap for a few minutes to soften. Or toss in a boiling pot of water for about three minutes. Allow them to cool or pour cold water over them. Mix all ingredients together and allow to sit in the fridge for two hours. Place in mason jars and Merry Christmas!
2. Zombie Lover?
Stores like Wal-Mart, Target, Drug-Mart and more are posting later hours for the next few days. Take advantage of it. For the lover of all things zombie in the family, purchase a cool zombie lunchbox, toss in the first season of The Walking Dead, add in survival food like Twinkies or other fun snacks until it is overflowing with unique and fun gifts.
3. Baskets Galore
Gift baskets are always the perfect touch to a gift during Christmas. If not happy with the selection the store offers, DIY and save. Purchase a basket and add in a bottle of wine, a box of crackers and spreadable cheese and include a romance novel for the reader. For caffeine maniacs, add in various coffee bags such as Dunkin Donuts, Starbucks and fruity flavors with a coffee mug and a magazine. For teen girls, consider purchasing flavored lotions, manicure items and glosses of various fruit flavors. Teenage boys will be thrilled to see a “young CEO” kit in a basket. Include a collared shirt, tie, dress socks, v-neck undershirts and a classy pair of slacks. Toss in a recent Forbes magazine or dark shades for a final, cool touch.
4. Family Life DVD
This writer marks this as personal success for Christmases past. Have children? Use them for the next great big gift. Create a video Christmas message, or even have the kids recite poems or their favorite reasons for loving the receiver. Include music, fun introductions and mark it a movie success. If no children are in the house and a talent of song or instrument is present, be sure to place it on video. For those with printers, print out a DVD cover and add to a small gift bag with a Christmas card. It is the gift that keeps giving.
5. Last Minute Stores
Yes, there are stores willing to remain open than usual, so keep these following stores in mind for help when it comes to buying gifts:
- ProFlowers will continue to accept orders untilr the evening of Dec. 23rd. Select a beautiful flower arrangement or basket for a loved one.
- Prime Amazon customers can order until Dec. 23rd at 3 p. m. EST. for select gifts like a Kindle Fire. It may be worth signing up for a Prime membership trial period to take advantage of the offering. Baltimore, Boston, Chicago, New York, Seattle, Los Angeles , Washington, D.C and four additional states will have the opportunity for same day delivery on Christmas Eve as Prime customers. Check the site for full details.
- If all else fails, opt for a gift card from retailers like Macy’s, Nordstorms, iTunes and more. They can electronically deliver a gift card in under 24 hours.
In less than three days, Christmas morning will be here. Excited children will gather around the tree, families will travel to share food and goodwill. No more worrying about what gifts to choose over the next couple days of shopping. These top 5 last minute Christmas gifts will save some money and a lot of sanity.