Yoga can be instrumental for reducing stress. When one engages in the practice of yoga they are expected to unite their self with the highest nature, according to Bhole Prabhu from the Traditional Yoga and Meditation of the Himalayan Masters. Yoga involves proper breathing and moving the body into posture for optimal alignment. Traditional yoga has been around for thousands of years according to Yoga Journal writer Anne Cushman. The emphasis is on the word traditional. Cushman relays historically yoga was performed in the nude with only ashes covering the body. The ashes came from cremated bodies for remembrance of their transience. The insignia of Shiva, who is the god of destruction, was painted on their foreheads.
This is a far cry from what is experienced in America today. As an accepted way to address stress, yoga is extremely popular from the east to west coast. From Wal-Mart, TJ Max, Target, Macy’s to boutiques and many other locations yoga mats and accessories are easy to find. With anxiety being such a hot issue there is no wonder why. Additionally, those seeking and reviewing yoga can consider the many styles. Woman’s Health Magazine provides this list of options:
- Anusara was created by John Friend it is known in many circles as Iyengar, a purist yoga form. This style works with one’s ability and is accepting and heartfelt.
- Ashtanga arrived in the U.S. in 1975 with Sri K. Pattabhi. Hailing out of Mysore, India it was intended to assist school aged males with focusing. It consists of six established poses.
- Bikram was invented by Bikram Choudhury. There are 28 primary postures that are performed in a room heated to approximately 105 degrees with 40 percent humidity.
- Hatha is one the six original branches of yoga. This yoga touches practically all of the exiting modern styles.
- Iyengar was founded by B.K.S. Iyengar. It is a purist yoga and is called furniture yoga by some. This style is known for using props.
- Jivamukti means, “liberation while living” it was created by Sharon Gannon and David Life. It a highly physical with the traditional spiritual elements added in the technique.
- Kripalu is a three-part style encouraging participants to tune in to their body.
- Kundalini is for releasing the serpent or kundalini energy in the body. It is a smooth flowing style.
- Power was started by Beryl Bender Birch and Bryan Kest, has an inconsistent application. It is based on the teachings of Pattabhi Jois.
- Prenatal developed by Nicole DeAvilla was created for pregnant woman. It is also meant for new mothers.
- Restorative is a relaxation style; poses are held for longer periods than the norm. Psychic cleansing is also pat of the process as well as the use of props.
- Sivananda brought to the west by Swami Vishnu-devananda is a style that does not rush. It is based on five aspects, exercise, diet, breathing, relaxation and positive thinking.
- Viniyoga founded by Gary Kraftsow, focuses on (PNF) proprioceptive neuromuscular facilitation a technique consisting of a muscle is warm before it is contracted.
- Yin is a meditative style that is also known as Taoist yoga. It is a style that involves relaxation and working with gravity.
Many of these yoga are styles available in urban areas and can possibly assist with reducing stress. Prior to beginning any new workout regiment, it is highly suggested to see your doctor.
By Dada Ra