California Police Acquitted of Kelly Thomas Death Gives Green Light to Bad Cops

u.s., california, acquittal, ramos, cincinella, kelly thomas, beating, homeless, mentally ill

A courtroom gasped, a mother sobbed and a former police officer hugged his attorney as the judge acquitted police officers in the death of Kelly Thomas. During the summer of 2011, Thomas, a homeless man was accustomed to being shooed off by police. Thomas reportedly, may had schizophrenia and was homeless, consistently seen roaming the streets. During one particular day, he encountered officers Manual Ramos and Jay Cicinelli. Two bad cops, unable to control their ability to handle a mentally ill, homeless man beat him to death. Video (see end of article) showed the events leading up to the event. Yet, those same officers were acquitted of any wrong-doing. The case of Kelly Thomas causes questions as to the green light now given to bad cops.

homeless man kelly thomas' beating leaves emotions high in Fullerton California
Thomas after police response. He died after falling into coma from the beating.

Now in one of the most controversial cases to hit in some years, the public is stunned with the jurors decision. Thomas was a mentally ill man, roaming the streets. He died at the hands of Ramos and Cincinelli. Both officers were facing involuntary manslaughter, excessive force and a second-degree murder charge was on Ramos. Yet, both men will walk away today as free men. A mother quietly and deeply grieves over a child she once held, she once cherished who died as two uniformed officers beat him for 10 minutes straight. Recordings of Thomas hit the courtoom, of the grown man sobbing, calling out for his daddy. Ron Thomas, the father of the victim stated his son was murdered.

When handling the mentally ill in the country, has this case just given the green light to cops to repeat bad behavior? Ron Thomas says so, advising the verdict now provides police the “carte blanche” to start bullying the public. There has been a significant up-rise in the complaints of excessive use from officers, a significant rise in how the public is managed. This is now going beyond the level of racial profiling, as races across the spectrum are uniting to discover a broken foundation.

The same officers – many who sit on the taxpayer payrolls, lurking behind shadows, at times drive expensive vehicles and are paid a salary higher than most middle class citizens, are not always the good guys. The case of people versus police is continually building. It seemingly is appearing that police officers are becoming the long-arm of a government puppet show, to coerce the public by any means possible. Then they are acquitted.

Individuals stoically drive the streets, many well-behaved, others not so much. Does that give the right to police to manage those citizens any way they please? Is not the officer of law to protect the identity of law by upholding it? When did beating/tasing a mentally ill man for 10 minutes become a beneficial factor of acquittal? The jury will certainly be scrutinized to configure what really happened when a case is presented with absolutely no punishment for these officers.

A protestor stands outside of the courtroom
A supporter for Thomas stands outside of the courtroom

Ramos could be seen on video putting on gloves and shaking his fists in Thomas’ face, prior to the beating the homeless man. While Thomas struggled, was the perfect remedy to use the butt end of a stun gun to slam into the victim’s face and head? The blunt use broke several bones in Thomas’ face. The cause of death? The pathologist released a statement, stating Thomas died, in part from asphyxiation, a direct result from the injuries he sustained from the police officers.

John Barnett, the defense attorney gave his client, Ramos, a bear hug once the verdict was read. In addition, he made a comment that seemed tacky for the grief of the victim’s family. He stated the “peace officers” were just doing their jobs and they were “operating as they were trained.” In addition, Barnett states his clients had no “malice in their hearts.” The statement from the attorney only drives the wedge of disappointment further.

Today, two parents try to understand how instead of responding with help, police officers responded with a brutal beating resulting in the death of their schizophrenic son. Following the death of Thomas, protests escalated around the city of Fullerton, resulting in the police chief stepping down. Thomas was no angel, this article is not here to portray that – this article is to demonstrate how responding to the mentally ill has now taken a turn for the worse in America.

Kelly Thomas died at the hands of police officers. A conclusion a law professor from Chapman University School of Law, sees as no surprise. Professor Lawrence Rosenthal  was also a former federal prosecutor and states convictions against cops are rare and police officers are more than likely to receive an acquittal. This sad prospect holds very little promise of melding and bridging positive relationships between police and their communities.

An FBI spokeswoman from the Los Angeles division, stated now the state court trial is concluded, federal investigators will take over the case. Laura Eimiller states the investigators reviewing the case will “determine whether further investigation is warranted at the federal level.” The Thomas’ walked from the courtroom dismayed in a system that failed them twice. This case shows a further declination of handling the mentally ill and the homeless.

This acquittal of the California police from the Kelly Thomas death case provides a green light to bad cops and unacceptable behavior. It upholds the decree that officers should not have to follow the same process of self-control bestowed upon the citizens of this country. This does not illustrate all cops are bad, but the bad ones know who they are. This will be a controversial issue for weeks to come. Thoughts on this case? Share in the comments.

[Editors Note] – the link depicting the events surrounding Kelly Thomas’ beating is severe and was added as a link at the end of the article. Viewer discretion is advised and not intended for younger audiences.

Angelina Bouc

Video of Kelly Thomas/Police Response.
Guardian Liberty Voice

153 Responses to "California Police Acquitted of Kelly Thomas Death Gives Green Light to Bad Cops"

1. anna   August 30, 2014 at 9:58 am

I think this is an abomination. The court the lawyer and all parties involved with the release of those two officers should be held accountable. The legal system is have a sy to protect the innocent and uphold the law. It seems lately that too many officers are on some vigilante ego trip and are making life harder for the honest loving cops that are trying to protect us. I think we need to change our judicial system and allow the public to vote in situations that involve city county and government employees, after all, it is our tax dollars that pay their salary and we should have vote in the event of foul play

2. Viki B   August 18, 2014 at 12:32 am

I remember seeing the video of this and those cops were out for blood and Kelly did absolutely nothing to provoke them. The cops looked like they intended to beat him to death right from the start. It was like 2 guys in a bar looking for a fight so they picked on the one person who was by himself to kill. Freaking murderers going free. Kelly was defenceless. People like this should not be allowed to wear a uniform. They definitely need a phsyc evaluation, cause there is something seriously wrong with them.

3. Jeanne Palmer Parks   August 17, 2014 at 12:30 pm

I think cops take what is said to them personally. How can we teach them about freedom of speech. But this was different, they just beat the man to death. It used to be for life or death of the cop. Why didn’t they cuff him and take him to the jail, or the hospital?

4. CVH   August 17, 2014 at 9:39 am

“No malice in their hearts”? Deliberate Lie! Guess the official Taser is just not as stress relieving for a cop as brutalizing a persons body is . They looked at this guy in his homeless state and did not see a human being , just a rodent in need of exterminating . SHAME !

5. L. Ochoa   August 17, 2014 at 12:33 am

I thought police officers actual title is PEACE Officers. Yet, repeatedly, they are not peaceful and create violence.

6. syzygyne   August 16, 2014 at 9:11 pm

I saw those videos when they first hit the internet. It was the first that I had ever seen verifiable evidence of police murdering someone. They beat him and then crushed him to death, all while he pleaded so pitifully. Any normal person would have relented.

To this day, I think about how Kelly Thomas was no threat to them, or even if he were somekind of minor threat, there was NOTHING that justified what that whole gang of cops were doing. It appeared in the video that they were doing it because they just wanted to.

7. Leslie   August 16, 2014 at 3:09 pm

This is disgusting. Regular reading lately how cops are getting away with murder, be it people or animals, does make me wonder what this society is becoming. The innocent are no longer protected. This is a fundamental flaw in our society. We use to look up to cops to protect us. No wonder people no longer respect them for the system is broken.

8. akismet-a4c90ff9e9b9b02a49eac201b2c8c3b3   August 16, 2014 at 1:35 pm

Anyone else would be jailed for murder!!!! So does homeless people not count anymore? Don’t let this go, these bastards need to be in prison, and see how tough they are then.

9. Jypsie Anna   August 16, 2014 at 11:07 am

I believe “We The People” That are written into this constitution should come together and just start taking out officers. I mean these police that are sworn in to protect, all they do is kill innocent people. Im so sick of seeing in the news where another police office beat someone and either killed them or nearly killed them. Theres no reason for someone with a gun to go after someone unarmed and killing them. How would they like it if someone went after their family member, and killed their son or daughter or severely beat them to a pulp 🙁 Whats this world coming too, when we cant even protect ourselves from the law that is suppose to protect us??

10. Kim White   August 16, 2014 at 5:18 am

This is un-freaking-believable !!! While praying for the family of this poor man to find some kind of peace I will be praying that they also file a civil suit against these “so called” police officers (lets just give them free reign to beat the crap out of whoever they feel like…NOT) and they get a jury that can see out of their [email protected]….shame on those who supported these scum…..breaks my honest heart. This whole country needs a sever shake up. Pay them all minimum wage and see who runs for office then …oh, wait it would be the ones in it for the OUTCOME not the INCOME !!!

11. tina quay   August 16, 2014 at 3:02 am

punish them not let them go.. this is bs that they get let go after killing an man let alone fact that he was homeless and mentally ill.. they should not be let to roam the streets and do it to others.. stop the madness and keep cops from doing that

12. Larry Freeman   August 15, 2014 at 6:28 pm

Murdering thugs serving a corrupt to the core rouge government.

13. Gail Ward   August 15, 2014 at 11:45 am

If “We The People” don’t stand up for this man and his family, then we are as guilty as they are of murder!!!

14. Yolanda   August 15, 2014 at 9:43 am

It’s sad to here stories like this and we are hearing more and more each day,but one thing I do know they will have to answer to God

15. gary triplett   August 14, 2014 at 3:42 pm

Those two cops and many others who show such disregard for human decency, and bully their way need to be locked up. Seems once some people get into a position of so called power, it goes to their heads! cops are here to SERVE AND PROTECT get it!!!

16. Sandra Bamford   August 11, 2014 at 6:43 am

UN-medicated schizophrenics are by nature innocent and generally harmless. Their condition renders them afraid and helpless much of the time. I can see that Mr.Thomas was not threatening, violent, or abusive in any way. He was simply scared, was hardly aware of what was going on. He made it clear that he could not breathe.

I would have preferred the cops to have used a sedative on this man than to see them snuff out his very life while he begged for mercy. This is absolutely the most horrendous act committed by our American police officers I have ever seen. I am outraged that these men got away with their inexcusable actions.

I hope to God the F.B.I. or anyone with the power to do so, takes serious steps to ensure that justice will be served not only for Kelly, but for his family, and for our entire country.

17. James Powell   August 11, 2014 at 12:25 am

This is an outrage….completely unacceptable in this country!as someone who also suffers from mental illness, this has made me fear for my safety in a way I cannot put fully into words. Have we become a society that accepts the euthinization of anyone w a mental disorder? If so, what’s to become of our veterans? I can tell you this …I for one will NEVER trust another person w a gun & a badge now! How dare our public servants… the ones We as taxpayers provide a salary to, turn on us like this! Last time I heard… they worked for us. If we have now become the enemies of the state, then they should all be prepared for the inevitable consequences that are bound to arise from this kind of behavior. Let it be known that those who defended this country will see this as an act of war against the public by the state & federal government that we once put our lives on the line to deffend…. Some of us still take our oaths of service seriously, and will be ready to respond accordingly after this decision.

18. Ariel   August 10, 2014 at 12:51 pm

I’m praying the F.B.I. picks this up and deals professionally with these misfit “peace officers!”

19. rina74   August 9, 2014 at 8:29 am

Time they lost their jobs, we don’t need their kind patrolling the streets. And to answer the question on if he has parents why is he on the streets, not everyone on the streets goes to their parents when their mental ill, and his parents probably had no idea where he was, a lot of homeless have families, but want nothing to do with them, it’s sometimes part of the illness, sometimes it’s because they don’t want to be a burden to their families.

• Maggie Here   August 12, 2014 at 10:25 am

To rina74- we also don’t need mentally ill homeless men on the streets picking car locks, God forbid this mentally ill man runs into MY kids! And you say “his parents probably had no idea where he was” Well THEY SHOULD, that’s the first mistake right there where all this went wrong. ALWAYS know where your children are, no matter how old! I’m 38, own a home, have two kids, married and my parents still know where I am at all times because they CARE and they WORRY and they check on all 4 of their kids on a daily basis. I just wish more families were like ours I guess! The whole world would be a much better place!

• Thad Hutchison   August 14, 2014 at 10:57 am

Who cares, so you’re special because your family hasn’t suffered? STFU with your perfect self Maggie, go create your own country full of perfect individuals since you do no wrong and are the perfect parent and ahve perfect parents, not everyone does, i figured being a 38 year old professional you’d have more sense than the comment you posted

• Maggie Here   August 14, 2014 at 11:20 am

Nobody is perfect, I never said my family is perfect, never said my parents are perfect. I do no wrong? Never said that either. As a 38 yr old professional I can say I have the common sense to actually read before I reply to someone (spell-check too), maybe you should do the same. To answer your question, yes I do think I’m special, thank you for asking…. but not because my family hasn’t suffered, every single family goes through some kind of suffering. All I’m saying is that a parent’s job is to CARE for their children, if you have any kids I’m sure you would agree. Now if just by CARING makes myself and my family PERFECT(you said it, not I) then hey! I’ll take it! I guess we are special in your eyes then. Thanks again! I’ll go back to living in my own little country which by the way I don’t have to create, it’s already there 🙂 “Surround yourself with those on the same mission”

20. ramona diaz   August 8, 2014 at 4:51 pm

21. JAX   August 8, 2014 at 9:13 am

• Maggie Here   August 8, 2014 at 10:34 am

Your upbringing matters, your family support matters! If his parents are alive and around why the hell was he homeless in the first place!??

• Jill Lester   August 11, 2014 at 5:39 am

Why was he homeless in the first place? Because he was an adult who legally had the right to do as he pleased. His parents had no control over his possible mental health treatment or lack of treatment. They also had no control over his choice of living arrangements.And to believe otherwise is either stupid or naive.

• Maggie Here   August 8, 2014 at 10:43 am

It matters! Your upbringing and family matter! If his parents are well and alive why the hell was he homeless!?

22. trishouse   August 6, 2014 at 8:11 am

In this video a former Israeli soldier tells the story of the abuses of the police and military of Israel and he ends with how our police forces get trained to behave this way… Each city, each town must refuse to pay for the training that makes our homeland security forces so unsafe for our people.. .An Israeli Soldier’s Story – Eran Efrati

23. Charlie Nelson   August 6, 2014 at 4:26 am

Those police officers should be charged and jailed accordingly no matter what.
    you cannot do that to people and get away with it.

24. Maggie Here   August 4, 2014 at 9:24 am

So all of the sudden this homeless guy’s parents appear? Where where they before this happened to him, that to me is disgusting and worse than what the cops did. It is really sad what happened, the whole outcome but you can’t say these cops weren’t doing their job and they were actually being extremely patient at first, for the first 10 minutes at least!

• jose   August 6, 2014 at 1:41 pm

Really Maggie, is it worse…lets hope when you get older or just maybe lose it one day it doesn’t happen to you.

• Maggie Here   August 8, 2014 at 10:44 am

Yes it is, I’m a parent, yes it is.

25. Dale   August 4, 2014 at 7:47 am

I’m too sad to comment about it… This is NOT SILENT CONSENT!!!

26. Marie De La Cruz-Brogan   August 3, 2014 at 1:24 pm

I am lost for words, pissed, sad for the family of the victim. I hope karma finds those cops soon.

27. dstar5   August 3, 2014 at 1:10 pm

I hope these guys go out exactly the same way their victim did.

28. Kirk Huggins   August 2, 2014 at 9:21 pm

So wrong in so many ways that poor family my heart goes out to the family

29. Danny Robertson   August 2, 2014 at 6:57 pm

What comes around goes around look out cops your time is coming

30. J. Collier   August 2, 2014 at 1:24 pm

I am baffled, and completely disgusted by this verdict.

31. Cal Hansard   August 2, 2014 at 1:14 pm

Why isnt this Judge brought to bear for what he has done? And these cops? Given the trial and sentence that is befitting a murder

32. Glynis Wozniak   August 2, 2014 at 9:23 am

Why? How in any way are these men innocent? It completely baffles me. Another example of an abuse of power. It totally saddens me. Gx

33. Rubysoho   August 1, 2014 at 9:21 pm

This needs to stop ! It America.. . A country that stands for Freedom and Patriotism? Where the people who are meant to protect your Freedoms takes it away? This is disgusting and I hope that karma takes care of these two the way the American legal system could not.

34. Suzane marks   August 1, 2014 at 4:02 pm

I hope these men burn in hell, and Thomas is up in heaven looking down and watching them suffer.

35. Virginia Hinkley   August 1, 2014 at 1:21 pm

Those 2 cops should not be shot to death….they should be tortured to death the way that man was. You might have to shoot or taze a person if you are a cop, but there is NO REASON for brutality!!!!!! AMEN

36. Sabrina   August 1, 2014 at 6:19 am

This is an outrage. The American public should be outraged. These men were not doing their job, they were using their authority to be bad men.

37. concerned citizen   August 1, 2014 at 2:08 am

OMG, Rodney King is still alive but this guy is DEAD and nothing happens. Racism issues are completely dead, i think now as far as I’m concerned and i don’t care what anyone living in the past thinks. Bad minds lurk our streets and the ill & poor are the victims with no cause from these type of piggish stories.

38. Mike   July 31, 2014 at 10:35 pm

Was it a judge or a jury who acquitted these two punks? If it was a judge, he or she needs to go before the board for letting two cowards get away with murder. Please tell me these two losers aren’t going to be back on the streets.

39. Marlene   July 31, 2014 at 5:39 pm

I cannot say I am surprised! I will say I am Disgusted and Saddened by this travesty. I am a mother with a son and 2 grandsons. i pray for them daily. In this environment of hate and lack of social justice; with men and women who enter a profession to practice their ungodly way of ill treatment to others, will suffer the same or even worst. I know KARMA works and it’s Generational. So those two evil Spirits and those like them will receive yours in due course. Kelly Thomas is in a better place. You two on the other hand……….

40. London   July 30, 2014 at 6:45 pm

Those should go to prison and take a beating thats what they deserve! .
    P.O.S. whith a badge beat them sensless.!!

41. margaret   July 30, 2014 at 2:35 pm

Deliberate homeside. First degree murder, no parole for 15 years!! Officers are not hit men, they are hired to protect, keep the peace and serve..not beat someone to desth, physically.

42. James Courtney   July 29, 2014 at 9:27 pm

Where is Jesse Jackson, and Al Sharpton in this case, ACLU? Sad isn’t it? Immunity needs to be removed from police. That way they can be sued in a civil court. This kind of reminds me of Rodney King, when the police were acquitted. Should it be any different?

43. susan meehan   July 29, 2014 at 5:47 pm

44. Zeke Smith   July 29, 2014 at 12:13 pm

“The role of the police is not to serve and protect the people. It is to serve and protect the system that rules over the people. To enforce the relations of exploitation and oppression, the conditions of poverty, misery and degradation into which the system has cast people and is determined to keep people in. The law and order the police are about, with all of their brutality and murder, is the law and the order that enforces all this oppression and madness.” Bob Avakian

45. Ralph Monroe   July 21, 2014 at 10:45 pm

They were afraid his penis was bigger than their 1 1/2 inches. Good thing these ‘cops’ had that extra 1/2 inch or they would’ve gotten into the po-lice academy. They are all that way we just never hear about it; only when this type of police brutality happens.
    I’d have to ask though, where was God when this soul pleaded for him? I know He’s been busy lately but don’t let your creation get so big (7-8 billion) that you can’t be omnipresence, omniscience and omnipotence, “all-good, all-knowing, all-powerful” too all that need you immediately

46. David Stuart   July 20, 2014 at 5:06 am

The two cops should be executed. Nothing less. They are cold blooded murders.

47. maria santos   July 19, 2014 at 2:52 am

set your clock to post correct time , please

48. maria santos   July 19, 2014 at 2:51 am

It is Repulsive and Nauseatingly Sick !

49. maria santos   July 19, 2014 at 2:49 am

These police officers and the Department are creating a Highly negatively charged situation and I believe that somebody ought to try to be listening up, This is a terrible situation that is reaching a boiling point . This is the sentiment that is taking shape and molding it’s form and somebody better wake up before it’s too late. This cannot go on, this blatant and criminal attitude that this city is showing and demonstrating to it’s people will not be tolerated much longer . The Police Department need to be held accountable for their negative and Sadistic policing against the citizens of this country,

50. M   July 17, 2014 at 9:16 pm

There IS and shall ALWAYS be a tortuous, drearily sorrowful time of ultimate retribution so vastly agonizing that is filled w/ such a forbidding emptiness for Ramos and Cicinelli AND their attny’s (esp. Josh Barnett) AND that jury AND that “Judge” … AND, all the likes of them!!!!!!

51. todd   July 17, 2014 at 5:17 pm

thugs with badges….look at these two….they look like complete punks!!!….everyone and anyone involved in helping these two so called cops walk away free from this should be ashamed of themselves….hopefully the feds get them or someway somehow they get whats coming to them…it is truly sickening what cops are getting away with these days….and they wonder why most of the public don’t trust cops and cant stand them….cops are not above the law and need to be held accountable for their wrong doing’s just like everyone else….the bad cops need to be weeded out of the system and put in prison where they belong….

52. Bobbie Jo Justice   July 17, 2014 at 4:17 pm

time for some vigilante justice. The only good cop is a dead cop

53. Berta   July 17, 2014 at 9:27 am

Karma ~ May it come back and beat them 10x harder than they beat this poor man! They could/should have used a taser to put this man down. As a public employee, they had a choice to be more humane in doing their job, if it’s too much for them to handle, then as an adult, they should have been looking for a new job or position. It may not be much of a crime in our corrupt system, but it is still murder in the eyes of God, who sees all things and will deal with their punishment in his own way! They say that Kelly Thomas was a mentally disturbed individual, obviously these 2 men are as mentally disturbed as the victim they chose to kill. Who, in their right mind, would choose to beat a person to death and feel right about getting away with it. Our government and police depts. are hiring more killers than they are hiring law abiding officers…..and allowing them to get away with the same acts of crime as the civilians they are getting paid by arresting and putting away in prisons. Anymore, It Is Defintely Safe To Say ~ It’s Not Safe To Live In The U.S.A!

54. Berta   July 17, 2014 at 9:11 am

Karma ~ May it come back and beat them 10x harder than what they did to this poor man. I am sure a taser would have been a more effective manner than beating a man to death. If you can’t do the job in a more humane way than what you sign up for, then as an adult and a public employee, you have the choice to walk away and find yourself another job or position.

55. doug   July 17, 2014 at 6:34 am

Watched the video. I am responding as a retired California Peace Officer and as someone who worked in a Psychiatric Prison for many years. What happened is exactly what I have seen over and over again in situations like this. “Attitude” or not, and I really didn’t see that much of an attitude by cops on the video, what happened is what was going to happen regardless, in this man’s case BECAUSE OF HIS UNTREATED MENTAL ILLNESS AND BEING OUT ON THE STREET. So why was he out there in that condition if all of these so-called “caring” people and his parents are so heartbroken and concerned?

Unfortunately, he died as a result of it, as many similarly sick people have in the past in pepper spray incidents, tasing incidents, etc. I know you don’t want to hear this, but what I see with websites like this one, are cop haters taking advantage of the “Libertarian” bent these days, who are actually Anarchists, or former cons or criminals with a motive for curtailing police authority. I fought ’em in court all the time in CA. I know some folks out there are honorable, and Patriots, but you haven’t walked a mile in my/their shoes to KNOW the difference of what is being portrayed.

Also, at 4 minutes plus two more cops arrived, then more after that and it took all of them to control the man, who was not a big buffed out guy. What does that tell you? Superhuman strength from being psychotic and NO willingness to cooperate, just be combative. Some mentally ill people do not respond at all to pepper spray either. I have soaked their faces with pepper spray and they’ve stood there laughing. I recall incidents where it took 5 of us to control one man, one on each arm and leg and one on the head to keep from getting bitten. Then we had to handcuff them to eyebolts sunken in concrete in the jail floor to keep them from hurting themselves.

Sorry folks, but if anything watching that video just makes me more convinced that these cops were just trying to do a job that no one else wants to do, but now everyone wants to criticize, because we are now a nation of narcissists who want to do whatever we want without any curtailment or responsibility. Again, I know that is not some of you who are reacting emotionally to something YOU DO NOT REALLY UNDERSTAND, and bad people with bad motives, the cop haters, are taking advantage of you.

I also want to say that there is a difference between these poor local cops and Obama’s Federal DHS Storm Troopers. These poor bastards are just trying to make it through a day and go home in one piece. DHS Storm Troopers are protecting and serving a Usurper’s sick, evil and unconstitutional rogue regime. There is a difference.

56. Cedo   July 16, 2014 at 1:18 pm

It has to be done on a federal level. This is one thing a jury can’t handle.
    No juror will throw his or her self under the bus against their own police force by saying they’re guilty. Even a JUDGE can’t sentence a police officer without risk. Nobody can, really, but it helps if they and their family and business live far away and can’t be tracked down so easily.

57. Susan Elaine Renaldo-Nostramo   July 16, 2014 at 12:22 pm

i am a Registered Nurse in the state of Florida where health care is barbaric and innocent people are being killed daily due to the kind of insurance they have, this is deplorable and excessive is an understatement–as mental illness is rising everyday due to increased stressors of financially being ruined and seeing no way out–our government is failing us all and I hope that the Federal investigation will land these two murderers in jail! PROTECT AND SERVE THEY DID NOT!prayers to his parents that they find peace and get justice!

58. Linda Kimball   July 16, 2014 at 12:06 pm

Always be sick cops. Problem is all cops are part of a union based on protecting those that shouldn’t be.

59. rochelle bailey   July 16, 2014 at 10:51 am

This is disgusting and appalling! I would love to do to them what they did to this man! They are low lifes!

60. rochelle bailey   July 16, 2014 at 10:50 am

61. Lisa Markert O'Reilly   July 16, 2014 at 9:05 am

I am totally appalled! I hope these 2 get charged & convicted by the FBI!! This reminds me of the killing of the three civil rights workers in the 1960’s! MY prayer is that Kelly Thomas is in Heaven with Jesus, and is completely surrounded with overwhelming love and joy!

62. Brandon Brown   July 15, 2014 at 10:38 pm

Who is this judge and why are they allowed to make decisions still?

63. seronica   July 15, 2014 at 1:20 pm

This story disturbs me as well… I question what criteria the courts are looking for in these jurors, to find people who would acquit such actions… Almost anyone who reads this story, will be disturbed… So how in the H*** did they find 12 people who were not????

64. donnetta williams (@dewilliams29)   July 15, 2014 at 10:55 am

when i read this story i was disturbed and we know that its not all authority figures but there are so many of these same stories that the more you keep hearing the more you are aware of the injustice in our society. its like we are living in a country whereas authority figures and or military is not respected but feared…what is the difference? sooner or later it won’t be.

65. thomas hamill jr   July 15, 2014 at 8:13 am

so are you telling me there didn’t use excessive force the man died what is the definition of excessive force????

66. shadow   July 15, 2014 at 4:56 am

These cops shouldn’t have been acquitted. .. they should have been charged for all of the above and should have suffered the same fate they put this homeless man through

67. Life   July 14, 2014 at 10:21 pm

CA+TX+ABQ+NY = the FBI needs to look into anything that these Police Depts DO!! Bad Cops KILLED PETS as Children! (JD)

68. vicki hoskins   July 14, 2014 at 2:32 pm

Hope they both rot in hell this needs to stop cops no different then anyone else they think that bade gives then a licence to comment murder it doesn’t they should have to pay the p like everyone else they murder someone they should do the jail time or beter yet the needle

69. ELENA CALABRESE   July 14, 2014 at 11:13 am

personally…with all the evidence in hand video witnesses..HIRE a lawyer!!! n sue big time!!

70. Alma   July 13, 2014 at 8:29 pm

These officers need to be publicly hung ,,,,on the Main Street ,of the biggest city in the biggest populated state

71. Dez   July 13, 2014 at 3:27 pm

That’s the way thus world is going now. I don’t trust any police either. And remember in the article they don’t have to protect your right.

72. Bad Cops Suck   July 13, 2014 at 11:55 am

A little street justice for these two would be appropriate…

• Jolie   July 16, 2014 at 1:40 am

I was thinking the same thing.

73. M Dunlap   July 13, 2014 at 12:33 am

I have never been arrested, I’ve never done any sort of crime in my life, so no one should think that my perception of police officers has been affected by my own poor relationship with them. With that said, I hate the police. I don’t trust them, I think they ALL lie, plant evidence and falsify records. They are mean, lazy, fat, uneducated, and stupid wastes of the taxpayers’ money who are overly impressed with their own importance and shouldn’t be trusted with a gun. I have had to teach my children not to trust them either because they are willing to do anything to make themselves feel like they have power. I was walking down the street in Hayward, CA when a man pulled a stick out of his pocket. A cop pistol whipped him almost to death even though many people begged her to stop, asked her what he could possibly have done. You see, he was blind and he was taking out his cane. If there hadn’t been so many witnesses, odds are that cane would have turned into a knife before he got to lock-up. They are all scum.

74. Tammy   July 12, 2014 at 8:52 pm

God bless that poor man’s suffering. I don’t know how a human being can be so heartless and cruel especially the one’s that are supposed to be out there to protect and follow the same laws as the rest of us. All I will say is karma and your day will come for that poor man’s suffering. God doesn’t sleep………….

75. Sandi Hincman   July 12, 2014 at 3:44 pm

I have a child with mental disabilities. This article brought tears to my eyes. My heart goes out to the Thomas family. I feel that police officers really over use their authority abilities. How can that judge and the jurors go home and are able to sleep after letting, not one but two, officers of the law walk free after knowing that they just beat and in my opinion brutally murdered a man, not just any man, a mentality I’ll homeless man. I think that they should be brutally beaten and left to die. It’s really bad these days when these officers who are supposed to “Protect and Serve” over abuse their power to this point. I am praying for the Thomas family that the FBI find reason to reinvestigate this case, and find the two officers guilty and throw the book at them. I also think that the judge should be charged for the aquittal, the jurors are probably scared of them, which a lot of people fear the law for reasons like this. Thomas family I’m praying for your family and my heart goes out to you.

76. Bryan Williams   July 12, 2014 at 1:44 pm

I HAVE ONE MORE THING TO SAY!!!! PHILIP WORKMEN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

77. rudy mills   July 12, 2014 at 9:32 am

This is just a taste of what we should expect when the world is coming to an end. My prayers are with the mans family. I am sick beyond words that anyone has had to experience this tragedy. True justice will be severed in the end, however the pain felt now still remains andni am sorry and send my apologies to the family on behalf of all humanity.

78. Eileen   July 12, 2014 at 8:24 am

They give all police a bad name you think their fellow officers of the law would want them gone!

79. Turner Hopkins   July 12, 2014 at 7:49 am

Many police departments have problem police similar to those in Fullerton. A great solution is the policeCrisis Intervention Team (CIT). CIT originated in Memphis Tennessee and is being used in many cities around this nation and in some other countries. The CIT officers are especially trained to deal with the mentally ill in crisis. The are a part of the uniformed patrols and do a superb job as first responders to situations involving mentally ill in crisis. For information on how to start such a program in your community contact the Department of Criminal Justice at the University of Memphis, Dr. Randolph Raney or NAMI National.

80. Mel b   July 12, 2014 at 6:21 am

So sad this system really is damaged…. It is obvious that these idiots beats this poor man with excessful force…. It was no need to brutally beat and murder this man especially when he begged them to stop I’m almost in tears…… But god will have the last say so… Praying for the family of this poor man may he rest peacefully

81. Randy Main   July 12, 2014 at 5:30 am

I agree. Wonder how tough those fat bastards would be when a CREDIBLE threat presents itself? And what’s up with that eye fella?? Hahaha

82. Mark Hughes   July 12, 2014 at 12:38 am

Im now a fan of street justice, i hope that these two officers receive the same treatment that they gave a this poor mentaly ill homeless man that they beat to death while he pleaded and beged for them to stop… beat to death by two creeps. I hope every motorcycle gang, every street tough, every concernd parent i hope they use these two as an example and beat them to death.

83. Steven Nobles   July 11, 2014 at 11:17 pm

Someone should post the address of all the police officers and their family members and the jury and their family members so they can all be properly “interviewed”…

84. GEE   July 11, 2014 at 11:01 pm

85. Mogli Shakan   July 11, 2014 at 9:43 pm

I do believe we are heading back towards the founding father days, ie taking our country back from the oppressive state we allowed it to become. I do believe its my constitutional right to do so.

86. Rose   July 11, 2014 at 9:41 pm

The parents to this young man needs to take those cops to court again and this time sue them and the department for “wrongful death”. That’s what happen to OJ Simpson, His wife’s parents sued him and won millions. I know it won’t bring the son back, but atleast it will hurt them in the pocket book. And now that we know what they look like, let’s just say karma will take care of them. Both at the same time or seperatly.

87. Dan Jensen   July 11, 2014 at 9:21 pm

While I trusted police as a teen 30 years ago, with evidence like this they can no longer be trusted. I do not know if it is just a few that bring shame to the whole organization , but it seems to be happening quite frequently nowadays and they get away with it, so it promotes this activity.. I bring to attention the video of a trucker that pulled an officer over for using cell phone while driving. They believe that the rules do not apply to them and they can do whatever they want! This is just plain brutality!

88. Valirie serawop   July 11, 2014 at 7:28 pm

It’s disgusting but God is the last judge these two men will have to live with themselves may God have mercy on their souls as they had none for Mr. Thomas! RIP Mr. Thomas n my deepest sympathies to th Thomas family.

89. Kerry VG   July 11, 2014 at 1:34 pm

What behaviour warranted this amount of force by the officers? If he’s begging them to stop then he can’t have been fighting back or harming them. This is atrocious, the jury should hang their heads in shame, I can imagine the picking process for the jury, they knew who they needed to get this verdict. May he rest in peace and his family know there are many of us who are supporting them.

90. Jessa LaFavre Luchini   July 11, 2014 at 1:09 pm

What is there to investigate? Everything was caught on tape! They beat the poor man to death. It’s sad that the American citizens are now fearing the police. How am I supposed to explain to my children that whenever they’re in trouble they can rely on the police when there are police officers like this?! It’s a sad world we live in today.

91. Nadeen Deveau   July 11, 2014 at 12:17 pm

This is the saddest bit I have read on the internet as of now. I agree this has got to stop. We are becoming a bully police state and that is not right. What are our wars supposed to be. For freedom and rights for all people. Lets get this right people. This is no dress rehearsal here!

92. Chrissy   July 11, 2014 at 12:06 pm

I agree 100% that it is unfair for the police officers to get away with this! They SHOULD BE PUNISHED, by going to jail for a few yearsss… They had NO RIGHT taking this man’s life! Even if he had said ugly words towards them or if he had tried to hit them… The police should have knocked him down onto the ground and handcuffed him. You NEVERRR know what’s wrong with a person’s mind, if they are mentally capable to handle the situation and or YOU HAVE NOOO IDEA WHAT THIS PERSON HAS BEEN THROUGH TO MAKE HIM THE WAY THAT HE IS TODAY~! People need to use there brains and hearts more to make this country a happier and safer place to live in. To help change a lot of bad people to good… Some of these people CAN be helped to change… And YES, THERE ARE STILLLLL SOME TRULYYY BAD PEOPLE THAT DO NOT DESERVE ANOTHER CHANCE… But they should be punished by Jail and Death. Especially with NO DOUBT Evidence, of what the person did… Do you people realize by letting these police get away with what they did, how it will mess up the minds of the people that are related to this man. What they might do or think of doing… I don’t want these people to make a mistake by trying to take control of the situation… These officers Honestly DO deserve a punishment time of JAIL.

93. Tom Johnson   July 11, 2014 at 11:18 am

When this happens, the “authorities” can expect no respect from the citizens.

94. Reid Reasor   July 11, 2014 at 7:25 am

This happens as soon as the cops change their perspective and take a “us against them” mindset. EVERYTHING explodes when that happens.

95. Sharon Johnson   July 11, 2014 at 6:19 am

Some cops have control issues. But, to the point of beating some one to death is a crime. What is is with the criminal justice system that they aren’t fired, or at the least, made to get mental health services? They are a danger to society-point blank. They get a tap on the hands-that’s BS!!!!!

96. Autumn   July 11, 2014 at 5:17 am

This Is Getting Ridiculous. This Has To Come To An End.autu

97. Margaret from NZ   July 11, 2014 at 3:15 am

I agree Phylis, Im disgusted with your laws…Hope we dont ever see that in our country.

98. Odin Cuypers   July 11, 2014 at 2:50 am

“It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society.”

99. Margaret from NZ   July 11, 2014 at 1:59 am

They should have been able to tell that the person had some form of mental illness then act appropriately instead of killing him. Theyre nothing but thugs!! Send them back to school to study psychology then sort out their anger issues and they should never be allowed back in the force!!
    from NZ

100. Robin Nesteruk   July 11, 2014 at 1:49 am

Officer Ramos and Cicinelli are both guilty of intent to commit harm! They might have been conceived as doing their job but cameras don’t lie! Victim Thomas and his beaten and unrecognizable face tell the true story and outcome! Why was not the jury allowed to view or understand clear and concise evidence during their encounter? Video as well as audio. Clearly intent to harm was there and the evidence support in favor of Thomas.It is an injustice and I just know The FBI will clearly unearth all the true facts of this horrible encounter! Thomas was clearly being submissive and was at their mercy!! He was unarmed and pinned to the ground,by a huge bully who was angered by the heat of the moment having had prior dealings before with Thomas…This was personal and they were going to take it out on him no matter! And take it out on him they did! Over and over blows to the head! Blows that proved to be fatal!! Blows that continued despite Thomas begging repeatedly that he would comply! How in the world do you beat someone to that degree? It is a complete outrage! These Officers give Professional and compliant Peace Officers
    who do follow the rules and guidelines a bad name.One or two bad apples spoil the bunch and it just isn’t fair! The verdict is not fair..Kelley Thomas was not defended correctly and justly in this case..He is not able to speak for himself because of that fateful day..A bipolar man who was merely digging through some trash that day and harming no one had his fate sealed that day,and it is now becoming a federal case! I for one is glad that big brother was watching in this situation..Truth be told the camera does not lie..If only a Judge would include the viewing of all the evidence in it’s true form..I was so outraged when I heard the verdict..I and many others have debated this issue and we all agree! Thomas Kelly was murdered that day and I hope he and his family gets his justice some day! In closing I feel that depts could very well use two social and mental health officers that can advise and train police in the sensitivity of mental health and help to avoid any more encounters like this..

101. migi   July 10, 2014 at 11:21 pm

102. Shazza Fair Sima   July 10, 2014 at 10:13 pm

This is just horrible!!!! SO its ok for cops to do whatever they want !!!! Its ok because GOD will give them a new judgement!!!!!!!No one is safe with this kind of people running around.. WHo knows what else they have done that they have gotten away with!!!!!

103. Phylis Ledesma   July 10, 2014 at 8:27 pm

Those police officers should be charged with murder just like anyone else would have been and go to prison, just like anyone else would! That badge does NOT give them the right to beat a homeless man to death, regardless of WHY he is homeless or WHY his parents didn’t have him committed. Sometimes you just can’t for a number of reasons, but MURDER is MURDER, I don’t care who you are!! I hope they pay! I hope someone finds them soon and gives them a taste of their own medicine! AND GO FREE! What an outrage! Another reason I hate California

104. Darlene   July 10, 2014 at 4:28 pm

A different location and this could have been my son. Shame on the judge and shame on the officers.

105. Louis Stephen Carrozzi   July 10, 2014 at 2:14 pm

I agree that many police
    officers are NOTHING like the men in this case. Having said that, WTF were these guys let off? What part of the story are we missing here, because if I was on that jury and saw only the evidence presented in this article, that would be a hands down conviction, no ifs, ands, or buts! WTF happened here???

106. BK   July 10, 2014 at 1:13 pm

I see this is an “opinion piece” however opinions should be backed by facts. This is factually inaccurate. These two officers should be convicted and then executed. There should be zero tolerance for this kind of behavior. But I see several problems with the opinion piece. I do want to mention that the parents are quoted as saying the state let them down in how the police behaved, how the homeless were treated, and how mental illness is treated in this nation. I can agree that these “two police officers” greatly failed and broke the law. Mental health issues are sweep under the rug in the nation still, agreed. And the homeless, well that’s up for debate. There is a lot of difference between a mentally ill man on the streets, a junkie or alcoholic, or a mother with kids on the streets because she lost her job. The only common denominator is they are homeless. Some by choice, some not. You cannot help those who do not want to help themselves or take advantage of available resources. Sorry libs, you can’t those who don’t want it. Let’s focus on those who do. But how about the parents failure. Why was their son living on the streets? Why didn’t they have him committed? I mean, put the blame on the state, I see additional blame to be spread around.

Horrible story, horrible outcome to this story, but I do have to say it like it is when I see stories of the entire nations police force being thrown under the bus by sensational and opinionated journalists. The video is horrific, but whoever wrote that story should be fired by their editor or not allowed to write here again, it’s very factually inaccurate in many ways. I don’t think anybody in their right mind or with any intellectual honesty believes this gives a “green light to bad cops” and if they do believe that, they are sorely mistaken or just ideological pip squeaks. Maybe a few in LA, maybe a few in NYC, maybe a few in Chicago, and maybe a few in Dallas. But not everywhere and not institutionalized by any stretch of the imagination. I know lots of policemen, all are solid, good people, want to do the right thing, and would never stand by and let something like this happen. Millions of officers handle millions of terrible situations daily and act in a professional and courteous manner that one would expect from a civil servant who has to deal with the lowest of the low, the mentally ill, the overly angered and enraged, the deranged, murderers, rapists, etc. daily. Just a horrible job. If the kind of behavior these officers displayed was the norm, this would be all over the news, all over the country, every day. But it just isn’t the truth. The truth is that there are a few bad apples in every bunch. Sometimes when they get caught, they get punished. Sometimes they don’t and that is sad, but that is no different than anybody else in terms of odds in our f-ed up judicial system. This sickens good cops as well. This paragraph here is nothing more than “bomb throwing rhetoric” by a lazy journalists looking to capitalize on this tragic event by playing up the sensational instead of the factual: Quote – “In a society built on the mighty dollar, a healthy dose of stress and within a nation where danger lurks at every corner, the police are earning a tarnished image. The real job of cops is not to “protect and serve.” The truth of that fact can be found in cases like Warren v. District of Columbia. It can be verified by reading the reports on the case to show cops have no fundamental right to the citizens of this country to protect their interests. Now it appears to have also shined a bright light on behaviors that will increase.” I mean really, do I have dissect that – first, this happened in liberal LA and these cops and the sad individual who was the victim are both products of terrible social policy, law enforcement policy, bad law in the state, liberal judges, a substandard mental health policy and system, corrupt police/courts/prisons/politicians in the state and lower standard of acceptance into police academies. I’m not sure how the “mighty dollar” really done anything to do with this story unless you look at training, corruption, and health policy. But again, California, outside of NY, highest taxes in the nation, some of the highest crime rates, and out of control immigration that is draining the states coffers and resources. Stress in that state, well maybe. Those in charge of keeping the law and running the prisons frankly have to deal with the asinine public policy the state has and yes it does stress them, and anybody else trying to make an honest buck. And the “danger lurks on every corner” statement is false if you look at violent crimes per capita everywhere. They have dropped significantly every where over the past decade. Again, all you have to do is look at the facts (something we all know the left hates to do) and that is out of control police per capita are actually less and less involved in these kind of situations where they are out of control. Cops are hated by those who typically don’t like establishment, are law breakers themselves (most weed smokers hate the cops, but it’s not the cops fault it is illegal), or those who feel they unfairly target minority groups. I listen to police scanners. The crime isn’t happening in certain neighborhoods and its usually same race on same race, again reality. These guys should be executed for what they did, but that doesn’t mean all cops are bad and now have the right to act like thugs because of this ruling.

107. Halee Sanders   July 10, 2014 at 1:09 pm

As the sister of someone with schizophrenia, I am so saddened and horrified by this story. This case MUST go to the federal level. These officers not only should lose their badges, but also be imprisoned for life in a jail full of murderous felons! I am sickened by the state of California for letting them walk!!

108. linda cornell   July 10, 2014 at 11:57 am

109. M VanValkenburgh   July 10, 2014 at 10:57 am

Outrageous. They killed this man. It would have been more humane to just shoot him if killing him was their intention. No matter what he did no one deserves what happened to him. Those policemen should have been convicted for sure.

110. ann   July 10, 2014 at 9:24 am

how could a jury be so bad – something bad is happening when police treat it’s own citizens like they are at war like Kelly was a terrorist shameful those cops will do it again

111. Donna Bergman   July 10, 2014 at 8:54 am

This was unnecessary brutality, NO doubt about it! These two police officers should have been convicted of murder! There was NO good reason or excuse to beat this man, who was mentally unstable, to death! Police officers take a an oath to “serve and protect” Well, they were NOT serving or protecting this vulnerable man from any kind of harm.

112. michaelle Williamson   July 10, 2014 at 8:14 am

I believe they should be charged with manslaughter because it should not have taken that long to place him under control with two big men like that also look at him that looks like a hate crime to me!!!

113. Eleanore Steel   July 10, 2014 at 7:47 am

these neanderthal police officers have no place in a police force of any society, they should be mad outcasts of their community, named and shamed at least!

114. madmom   July 10, 2014 at 7:35 am

This makes me so angry and it should anger every American citizen. Yes, this could be the child of any person in this nation. The man being homeless and/or mentally ill should have no bearing on how he was treated by law enforcement. Too many police officers feel that once they have that badge they are above the laws that they swear to uphold. Of course it was murder…there were two of them against one man who clearly had mental issues. Not only should this man’s family appeal to the federal courts but, they should also file a civil suit against both of these men for wrongful death.

115. F Gregg Meagher   July 10, 2014 at 5:20 am

THOUGHTS? take the case and charges to a Superior Common Law Court… and if necessary after that to the I(nternational Courts! The courts that ruled on this case are not the superior ones!

116. Janalyn Steele   July 10, 2014 at 3:08 am

I never understand these American parents who pop up after the fact. Where were they when their mentally ill “child” was wandering lost and homeless on the streets?

117. Mike Cherney   July 9, 2014 at 11:35 pm

As one raised by a County Sherri ff, I’ve observed a shift in the posture of ‘Police’ from one of unantagonizability and serve all equally to Lawless Lawmen who are among the Biggest Gangsters of all

118. sorozco   July 9, 2014 at 10:23 pm

Saved by police unions and their ability to hide and manipulate evidence for their own protection. Who’d have though the KGB would form in the USA.

Also, this might not get much attention because the guy was white. Things only seem to get traction if its about a racial inequity these days.

Is our country too far off the right path to find its way back? 🙁

• jayne williams (@urbanjayne)   July 10, 2014 at 9:17 pm

Really? Cops have been murdering blacks for centuries with no outcry. Shutup! This was a vile crime no matter who was killed!

119. carla   July 9, 2014 at 8:30 pm

So sad that the police are not held to the same standards as the general public. Had this just been a beating of a homeless man you best believe who ever beat him would have been put away or it would have been called a hate crime. Lets call this what it is they got away with murder because they hide behind a shield that is suppose to serve and PROTECT!!! They should carry this guilt until it makes them hate themselves.

120. Cynthia Silhan   July 9, 2014 at 6:06 pm

I have always respected police officers, but am concerned that thete has become an epidemic of people and animal rage. Mabe we could find out what is causing all of this anget in our officers and help them have some kind of outlet except on people and animals. There are plenty good officers that ate a great example of how to surve and protect. Something is wrong here I am sure they would agree if they could speek freely without backlash from other officers. Thank you for the opportunity to express my opinion.

121. Janine Sotomayor   July 9, 2014 at 5:25 pm

such an atrocity…I’ve heard statistics that one is more likely to be shot by a cop than a terrorist…pathetic…too many of them are psychopathic bullies…

122. Karen Hagar   July 9, 2014 at 3:47 pm

The Cop on the left appears to be suffering from some sort of mental illness judging by the appearance of his eyes…does this mean his peers should beat him to death, maybe?

123. Barbara Haynes   July 9, 2014 at 1:50 pm

Time to wipe California off the maps! Perhaps time the Good Citizens rise up and fight the cops. It takes “one bad apple to spoil the bunch.” And we already know that California has a “bunch of bad apple cops!” Their brutality hits the newspapers all the time. From what I’ve read, “A thorough internal investigation will be done as we take this seriously.” In the meantime, they are on leave with pay, or possibly transferred to another area. I never read the results of that investigation. Perhaps the victim even died. It is usually a black person, sometimes Hispanic, and sometimes white. California Police Brutality has been around a long time and seems to be tolerated by the system and not much the citizens can do. Just the thought of them makes me lose respect for ALL Police. I don’t care what happened here, these Police should have been rounding this poor sick man up and putting him in a hospital to be medicated, not beating chit out of him and killing him, then getting off by his sleeze bag lawyer and inept jury.

124. Jason Ledyard   July 9, 2014 at 1:38 pm

Sick that even involuntary manslaughter wouldn’t stick to those criminal cops.

How can the judge believe the defense attorney’s words that “they had no malice in their hearts”? I think this case is proof that there is no relation between what judges hand out as justice and what actually happens. The court system is a facade and a smoke screen to make people feel that there is actually fairness in a world with none.

125. Owen Maupin   July 9, 2014 at 11:38 am

My son is a Deputy Sheriff (Sgr) so obviously I’m not down on all cops. However these two thugs should be in prison for the rest of their lives if not given the death penalty. Their actions were premeditated and deliberate. It’s rotten scum like these two that make my son’s job all the more difficult because of the growing distrust of the police in general. I remember when this happened and was outraged then and now I’m sickened by the outcome of this gross miscarriage of justice.

126. Pete Pringle   July 9, 2014 at 11:01 am

Psychopath scum , overstepping their authority in the U.S., and praised for it.
    Welcome to the new norm.

127. happt feet   July 9, 2014 at 9:44 am

They should. b in the ground not that poor man may god bless hm always

128. DG   July 9, 2014 at 7:50 am

This is how morally corrupt our leaders have become! Anyone with half a brain can see this was murder!!!!!
    How can these officer’s live with themselves?
    I know one thing God is their judge and it is in his hands. The beginning of wisdom is fear of God! I will stand back and watch God work.

My prayers are for Kelly’s Family and Friends my they all be comforted.

129. Carolyn Serebreny   July 9, 2014 at 5:43 am

Prayers for you, Kelly, and your family, and all others who are treated so mercilessly by ignorant psychopaths wearing badges. What a pitiful scenario now in this country! I am outraged as well! How can these murderers be let go and allowed to continue to prowl the streets? Cops are the most dangerous ones out there at this point!

130. marco1952 (@marco1952)   July 8, 2014 at 3:56 pm

we need real superheros that will take down pigs like this when they are caught in the act and not be afraid, and the judge is a moron and should be replace immediately

• Sharon D.   July 8, 2014 at 8:39 pm

Right on.

131. Marty   July 8, 2014 at 3:06 pm

The officers have be better trained in dealing with mental health issues, departments across the country have dealt with similar situations and it all boils down to constant training m

132. Sam Spade   July 8, 2014 at 10:25 am

I hope someone kills these two cretins and their entire families. Children too. Can’t have any of this poison seed polluting the gene pool.

• Klaus Caprani   July 9, 2014 at 6:00 am

Well. In a time with approx 1100% over population we’re indeed not serving the benefit of the species in the long run by breeding on trash like those

• jayne williams (@urbanjayne)   July 10, 2014 at 9:21 pm

Gosh Sam Spade. I do admire you!

133. Michael   July 8, 2014 at 3:37 am

RIP and Godspeed, Kelly Thomas with sincere prayers for family and friends. This senseless tragedy is understated by words yet atrocities perpetrated by authorities are obviously on the rise as the value of human life decreases by the hour. Responsibilities to ‘keep the peace and uphold the law” have been lost in translation by relentless societal influences accepting carnage as norm than exception. Shocking images resulting from irresponsible actions ARE NOT part of any acceptable landscape. I don’t know about the rest of you but I AM MORALLY OUTRAGED AND AM NOT WILLING TO TOLERATE ANYMORE OF IT!!!!!!

• Sharon D.   July 8, 2014 at 8:41 pm

Agreed – wholeheartedly.

134. Mike   January 31, 2014 at 5:11 am

The parents grieving. Maybe they shouldn’t have thrown him out on the street then. What the cops did was awful and muredered a man but the parents certainly didn’t do their jobs as parents. They should take responsibility for their son as well.

135. Me   January 20, 2014 at 12:35 pm

What’s even more amazing is when others fatally beat the dickens out of these “so-called” police officers, they will be charged and convicted of murder. These police officers are the main reason why nobody trusts police officers and would rather shoot them than get help from them. I hope these police officers get what is coming to them

136. Louise   January 20, 2014 at 9:38 am

I actually have no words.

137. Dena Doyon   January 20, 2014 at 9:00 am

If he was so resistent, why hit him with the butt end of a stun gun??? Why not just stun him and put him down? BECAUSE THEY KNEW WHAT THEY WERE DOING!! It’s a crying shame that guns and badges are given to people like that.

138. Devon Dunkle   January 15, 2014 at 2:10 pm

I have been mistreated by officers of west linn oregon, back in 2003! As I wasn’t no perfect angel, I still knew right from wrong! However, I wasn’t doing anything wrong this night! It was only about 8:30 p.m. and cops were calldd due to people talking in a apartment complex courtyard! Cops were agressive and a little frightening! They told me to turn around and I asked them why, they again told me to turn and face the wall! I did so, and then told me to put my arms behind my back, I asked wait, what, am I being arrested? They said again turn around and put your arms behind your back! Adrenaline was coursing through my body and began to start fearing for help! Keep in mind I haven’t done anything illegal or violations, nothing! Out of shear panic and fear I tried to walk away! I said, look you guys are scarring me and I want to exit this situation, as I walked away they reached out and grabbed the slack of my t shirt sleeve and projected me to the ground! They were yelling stop resisting! I was terrified, and scared, and had a horrible adrenaline attack! Its a natural reaction during these times when you have a cop at 200 lbs slam his knee into your back as he falls on top of you! I’m only 150 lbs and stand 5’9″! There was one cop with a knee digging into my spine, one cop forcing my arm behind my back and a defense tactic officer tweaking my hands, all in order to try and get me to stop resisting, not them, but the pain! Finally after searching me rolling me around in the mud and simply being attacked, they told me to go home! Really? I walked home with scrapes bruises, and a sprained left wrist! I filed a report and nothing ever happend! No one can relax and not resist even a little when you have three full grown men beating you, so to the officers it seems as if you are resisting! I am fearful of police to this day forward! This what I believe to have happend to kelly thomas! Its a reaction that god gave us to not allow your legs hands and arms to be forcefully contorted! Those cops were also running on adraline, so in a sense, they too were “on somthing”! This is a shame!

139. Colin FitzMaurice   January 14, 2014 at 11:06 am

I am at such a loss seeing the resulting verdict. But I guess I am just naive, what other verdict can come out of our citizens, people educated in our western ways, supporting a free market economy, teaching kids to only use their left brain, where cops are the good guys. I feel bad for the cops that murdered this man. I sure at one point in their lives they were decent good people but they have been embittered and their hearts have grown cold dealing with the crap of society, while they protect our business institutions. Yes their jobs suck but cops suck. I live up here in Missoula, Montana, we are seeing the out wash of the justice system not protecting our women and going after rapist. Cops in this town are renowned for roughing up the homeless and mentally ill. Our county jail is a gladiator collosium where guards brutalize the incarcerated and allow prisoner fighting. But the economy is picking up so many things will mellow out a bit. Either way I won’t stand for injustice as long as my heart beats…Aldox Huxely said it best (no quotation marks because I am sure I misquoted and I know I spelled his name wrong) there is no glamour in being content without a good fight against misfortune. What I think will happen is mr Kelly suit will be successful and result in a big settlement and again money will win. The real punishment will be these cops will have to live the rest of their lives knowing they murdered a innocent ill man and have the negative karma that will follow them for the rest of their life’s. If we are lucky, they will realize their wrongs and try to mediate them with an inside perspective.